Tile request: Catoblepas!

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 17th June 2011, 16:05

Tile request: Catoblepas!

With the recent changes to petrification, I've begun coding up some petrifying clouds... but we need monsters to breathe them! I've selected the catoblepas, a yak-type monster that will happily turn you to stone as you meander through Lair, but a tile is needed for our tile-loving friends. If you're interested, you can click the Wikipedia link for historical info and drawings, and here's my current in-game description:

A sluggish black buffalo, its hide encrusted with dull scales. It carries its hog-like head just above the ground, joined to its body by a neck as long and loose as an emptied intestine and protected by a stiff mane of bristles. Man and beast alike would be wise to fear this creature, as its fearsome breath is known to flesh into stone.

Thanks!

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 17th June 2011, 16:14

Re: Tile request: Catoblepas!

doesnt basilisks going to reside in lair too?

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 17th June 2011, 17:04

Have fun turning to stone, is all I have to say. :P Both monsters are pretty rare, though.

Keep in mind these aren't the only creatures with petrification. Some enemy wizards can cast the spell, as per basilisks, and there are plans to possibly give petrifying breath to grey draconians.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 18th June 2011, 07:59

Pretty nice image of the catoblepas here http://www.theoi.com/Thaumasios/Katoblepones.html

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
Wensleydale

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 19th June 2011, 15:40

Request fulfilled! See here the lovely new catoblepas tile, courtesy of Denzi: https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/file_do ... 5&type=bug

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 27th June 2011, 12:18

This thread had me thinking about monsters that petrify; and I realised there's no Medusa in Crawl. Considering there's a ton of Crawl content already based on Greek mythology and the like, it seems like something that would fit perfectly.

Some thoughts that arise from this;

- Medusa can petrify all in LOS. Serpentine creatures (excluding Naga) are immune.
- She could breath petrifying clouds. And have summon snake / sticks-to-snakes.
- Her hair is made of snakes. So she gets a lot of melee attacks, like hydra. Each attack is reasonably low damage but they can add up. Also clearly poisonous.
- This would be a great themed branch end for the Snake Pits. There could be a hall of statues leading up to the Hydra who is by herself, having somewhat accidentally petrified all her Naga cohorts. A whole load of snakes are then released or summoned as soon as she sees you.
- It could make an interesting labyrinth alternative, having a maze of statues leading to Medusa in the middle
- There could be a new Gorgon monster type, with Medusa simply being a tough unique of that race
- Alternately the snake hair could be implemented with tentacle code - could be very cool!

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 27th June 2011, 12:32

The medusa is an iconic Nethack monster. We already have enough references to NH, so no medusa for me, thank you very much.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 25th February 2013, 21:24

galehar wrote:The medusa is an iconic Nethack monster. We already have enough references to NH, so no medusa for me, thank you very much.

Nethack....
THIS IS GREEK MYTHOLOGY YOU PLEBEIAN!
Also, if you're really afraid of 'referencing' nethack then just it a gorgon. In the original myths gorgon was the species, Medusa was an individual.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 26th February 2013, 01:10

minmay wrote:wish nobody had thanked galehar's post so i could see when the hell it was

At least a year ago.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 26th February 2013, 22:08

Specifically Monday, 27th June 2011, 13:32

Return to Contributions