What Kinds of Vaults are Needed?

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 9th September 2015, 20:14

What Kinds of Vaults are Needed?

I'd like to ask whether there is a list somewhere of the types of vaults that are needed and the types of vaults that there are already plenty of.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 9th September 2015, 20:27

Re: What Kinds of Vaults are Needed?

I think the answer to this is always just "more." Work on what interests you! Ideally, you start out with smaller vaults and work your way up.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 9th September 2015, 20:31

Okay, I can do that!
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th September 2015, 20:51

??vaults needed:

according to hangedman: decorative vaults for all branches (emphasis: lair branches bar swamp, crypt, hells), renewing serial vaults (e.g. curves.des, corridor.des), less plain bazaar entries, abyss entry vaults, more special rooms, ashenzari overflows, layout_pan_divisions quadrant subvaults

Some of those might be outdated.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 9th September 2015, 20:57

that reminds me that Lair needs more stair vaults, because I'm tired of seeing bh's neatly trimmed rectangle of autumnal trees every game.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
tedric

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th September 2015, 20:57

ManiacJoe: I looked at your entry vault, it is alright. Thanks for uploading it!

(Back in the day, making such vaults got me into the devteam, and later I reviewed/revised a lot of them. This is now done by others, but I can probably still speak about the scope of vaults.) As you browse through the des files, you will notice that there's a dearth of certain kinds of vaults (I am thinking of overflow altar vaults, or entry vaults for branches). Adding more of those is very welcome, but if you feel happy doing entry and minivaults for now, that's fine, too.

As you're doing this, you will feel the urge to get everything out of the syntax... at least that's how I and certainly some others felt. At that stage you might consider more fancy vaults, such as branch end vaults or portal vaults. That requires more grip on balance (rather easy would be new bazaar maps, for example). Don't rush it, but if you have an idea for an interesting Swamp or Sewer encounter, don't hesitate to put it to des syntax.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 10th September 2015, 01:07

dpeg wrote:ManiacJoe: I looked at your entry vault, it is alright. Thanks for uploading it!
Thanks for checking it!
dpeg wrote:As you're doing this, you will feel the urge to get everything out of the syntax...
You betcha!

Return to Contributions