3D Modeller and animator, Adam Webster

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 22nd May 2011, 19:37

3D Modeller and animator, Adam Webster

Introduction
Hello, I'm a 3D modeller and animator, my name's Adam Webster, and I live in the UK and studied Videogame's Software development at Glasgow Caledonian University. Oh! And I love playing Dungeon Crawl 'Stone soup' and worship Xom.

The Chase (And cutting to it!)
I want to contribute to Dungeon Crawl and am creating a 3D modelling portfolio for possible employment making videogame's, something which parallel's the natural progression of Crawl's development(in my opinion) as a 3D videogame.

Have a look at my 3D portfolio as I develop it here!: http://97percentwater.zxq.net

I'm aware that Dungeon Crawl is written in C++ and with allegro lib's, and i think a 3D viewer is completely possible for Dungeon crawl when compared to other more memory hungry roguelike's such as Dwarf Fortress. My skill's at 3D modelling, whether the developer's here at DCrawl Stone soup would like to take advantage or not, (That seems oddly passive agressive to read hmmm.... )will be being put towards the creation of a 3D Model's library, uniquely tailored to Dungeon Crawl's objects and creature's! The idea is mainly to showcase my skill with 3D modelling software for potential employers, but should the development team decide to make the move into 3D/Isometric there will be a library of 3D model's available in the near future.

P.S - Sorry my website : http://97percentwater.zxq.net is a bit crappy, I'm not much of a html coder, This is one of the first website's i ever wrote, and i've only checked compatibilty with firefox and internet explorer, If any developer would like to get in touch with me, the email is on the afforementioned website, at the moment is has zero Crawl objects to view, I'm working on a 3D model of Gustav Eiffels 'Eiffel Tower' at the moment, and will update the website as soon as possible.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 22nd May 2011, 20:10

Re: 3D Modeller and animator, Adam Webster

Nights Bane wrote:should the development team decide to make the move into 3D/Isometric there will be a library of 3D model's available in the near future.

I doubt it will ever happen. It requires a significant amount of coding (and even more modelling), and would result in a possibly cute interface but much less ergonomic. Unless someone else volunteer to write the 3D engine (although I'd point volunteering programmers to more useful tasks if they ask).
In the very long term, once we have a true client/server, phone/tablet support and translations, we might want to have fun coding a 3D interface, but in the mean time, we have more urgent things to do.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th May 2011, 02:38

I'd rather see hexes than 3D.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th May 2011, 02:48

Isn't there an isometric view version of Crawl? I know I saw a screenshot from one once.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 28th May 2011, 17:43

I don't think it would be difficult to create a viewer for it at all. It just requires some directx programming. But!- The plan is to create a repository of 3D model's for later use anyway. Keep my detail's, for when you are ready for 3D support, I'd love to help contribute, even though it will be some time in the future. So far all I have made is the many face's statue of 'Xom', but with a little perserverance, I'll have all the stone soup tile's done soon enough. I haven't been home to upload the latest 3D model's to my portfolio on http://97percentwater.zxq.net, because it takes's some time to render a demo vid of each model. - here' s a quick snapshot (un-rendered) of the dumb expression of Xom on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT1GDAr_HAI.

I have a few friend's that program for the Nintendo DS, and another friend who does XNA programming who I have worked with in the past, and they don't believe it's very difficult to translate array data like what is -assumedly- used in Stone soup for individual tile's to be used in a directx viewer at all, it is quite literally only a few hundred line's of code. The secret would be keeping the viewer code seperate, as an individual module of code. Essentially what the 'tile' version of stone soup does, except with 3D graphics.

As for an isometric view of crawl, I haven't seen one yet-

Feel free to email me, if you're a modeller and want to contribute to the repository, or a dev who might want to get in touch.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2011, 00:11

OOps, forgot to put my email up here, so here:

97percentwater@gmail.com

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2011, 00:35

Yep, I agree get stuck into some other things programming wise Galehar, but I'm just letting you know there will be a full library of 3D models ready for you guys when the time comes. Exciting times for dungeon crawl fans huh! I've made them completely with dungeon crawl in mind, and the only alterations that will be needed to use them will be scaling, they've been made in medium and high poly too. I'm really sorry to the 2d graphics dev guys, this must be a total 'fingers up' to them- I realise the prospect of a change to 3D will worry most of the forum, but I'll leave the developers with this quote from Machiavelli:

"There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things." - Niccolo Machiavelli.

P.S: Updating the portfolio website tommorow.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2011, 00:42

Return to Contributions