WebTiles Android

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 29th June 2015, 11:01

WebTiles Android

Over the weekend I got to thinking that while we have the Android version of tiles, it still feels a little clunky, and most of the time I wish I was playing online anyway. Due to the way the browser and keyboard work in Android, and the way WebTiles accepts input, as most people find out, you can log in but can't actually play the game.

I dove through the web tiles source to see how things work and spent most of yesterday coding away to come up with a very experimental, but working (mostly :D ) initial build of an Android version that plays on the WebTiles servers. I maintain the Android builds on crawl.newtzie.com, so I put it up there for the brave ones to try out (I did not put a public link on the site):

Edit: use this URL now: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.newtzgames.dcssonline

Instructions:

Launching the app will initially connect to s-z.org (my server of choice ;) ), but using the left sidebar you can connect to CAO, CSZO, and CBRO for now. Once connected, fill out the username and password fields like you normally would and login, and then start a game. Once started, use the top right menu (the 3 dots) and pick "Grab Input". This should force a keyboard to appear that will correctly send the keystrokes to the game.

This is SUPER experimental (I literally just got it working last night), but I'd like to see if there's any interest in this. I'd like to get it working with hacker's keyboard on Android so we can have the tab key for auto-fighting, but for now I just have the default keyboard working. I'm testing this on a Nexus 7 2012 and it's working pretty well for me. I'm going to get it on my phone today and play around with the smaller resolution to see how that looks, but on a tablet it's pretty playable.
Last edited by miserium on Monday, 6th July 2015, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author miserium has received thanks: 5
neil, rkd2003, rockygargoyle, Styro, triorph

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 30th June 2015, 13:01

Re: WebTiles Android

Oh!! Thank you!
But...
Can you make custom server input function?
In this program, only 3 server lists are there.

And,

Why does it auto revert to main-keyboard character after I input sub-keyboard character? can you fix this? (hackers keyboard)

For all around the world stonesoup player. :-)

Thank you so much!

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 30th June 2015, 23:50

rkd2003 wrote:Oh!! Thank you!
But...
Can you make custom server input function?
In this program, only 3 server lists are there.

And,

Why does it auto revert to main-keyboard character after I input sub-keyboard character? can you fix this? (hackers keyboard)

For all around the world stonesoup player. :-)

Thank you so much!

I'll get all the known servers in the list soon. As for the keyboard, I haven't even tried it with hacker's keyboard yet; like I said, I had just got it working the night before, so there's still a bunch to do with it :)

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 2nd July 2015, 10:04

New version is out there. All of the WebTiles servers are in the server list now, and the hacker's keyboard (or any keyboard for that matter) should no longer reset from a sub-keyboard to the main keyboard on keypress. Should feel a bit snappier now too.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 2nd July 2015, 22:45

Thank you!

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 5th July 2015, 07:32

um...
I can't press ctrl key in hackers keyboard.
(for hot key. eg: ctrl+f)

Maybe other keys(alt, shift) are same condition...

Fix please?

or floating ctrl key is good...

I tried to do by tasker application, but really I don't know...

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 5th July 2015, 11:04

rkd2003 wrote:um...
I can't press ctrl key in hackers keyboard.
(for hot key. eg: ctrl+f)

Maybe other keys(alt, shift) are same condition...

Fix please?

or floating ctrl key is good...

I tried to do by tasker application, but really I don't know...

Yep, that'll be coming. That's all part of why you normally can't play web tiles at all from Android. :) I still have to rig up the ability to send the ctrl key and some others. I should have something soon!

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 5th July 2015, 16:32

You can press * instead of Ctrl.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 5th July 2015, 22:44

OK new version is up there. Added a bit of polish to things, added instructions, and got a lot of the other keys working. Tab, esc, page up/down, all of the Ctrl+<key> combos, and when WebTiles prompts for input, it should capture it correctly (ex. like for Ctrl+F).

It's probably at a point that I'll put it up on my Google Play account and probably make more of a public announcement about it. I really enjoy using it on my tablet; I'm sure others will as well. On a phone (I have an S3) it works, but can be a little hard on the eyes.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 5th July 2015, 23:35

I tried this on my phone, and my local server (CPO) seemed to redirect out of the application and lose the ability to grab the keyboard. For some reason my phone keyboard has the keypads going from 123, 456, 789 so up/down are reversed too (sigh).

I don't know if you've tried the android console release, but it has a cool feature where you can tap the edge of the screen and your character will move in that direction. I suspect implementing that is more tricky than I'm giving credit for, but that would be amazing if it could be done.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 6th July 2015, 00:14

triorph wrote:I tried this on my phone, and my local server (CPO) seemed to redirect out of the application and lose the ability to grab the keyboard. For some reason my phone keyboard has the keypads going from 123, 456, 789 so up/down are reversed too (sigh).

I don't know if you've tried the android console release, but it has a cool feature where you can tap the edge of the screen and your character will move in that direction. I suspect implementing that is more tricky than I'm giving credit for, but that would be amazing if it could be done.

Looks like that one is redirecting to SSL, and the redirect is causing it to kick out to the browser. I'll fix that one.

For this message the author miserium has received thanks:
triorph

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 6th July 2015, 00:59

miserium wrote:
triorph wrote:I tried this on my phone, and my local server (CPO) seemed to redirect out of the application and lose the ability to grab the keyboard. For some reason my phone keyboard has the keypads going from 123, 456, 789 so up/down are reversed too (sigh).

Looks like that one is redirecting to SSL, and the redirect is causing it to kick out to the browser. I'll fix that one.

K - all fixed. CPO should work correctly now.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 6th July 2015, 13:18

Published out on Google Play now:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... dcssonline

If you got it already I'd advise getting that copy instead so you get updates.

For this message the author miserium has received thanks: 2
rockygargoyle, triorph

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2016, 06:40

I tried this version, but it keeps crashing as I enter Elven Halls 2. Is any fix coming? Can't upload the crash log from my tablet but there is errorCrash caused by signal #11: Segmentation fault

Unable to get stack trace on this platform.
Unable to get stack trace on this platform.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2016, 06:44

sounds like it might be a problem with your game on the websites server

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2016, 16:42

Oh, sorry, I'm playing dcss offline,not web. Just wanted developer to know about bug, haven't found any other way to contact him.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 18:50

You might also try writing it in a review in the play store
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 5th March 2016, 05:40

Muhatron wrote:Oh, sorry, I'm playing dcss offline,not web. Just wanted developer to know about bug, haven't found any other way to contact him.

you're not using the app linked above then, this thread is about the webtiles app, not the offline app

Return to Contributions