translation of wiki

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 18th March 2015, 07:11

translation of wiki

My students have started translating the wiki into Chinese. Some parts could be written a little more clearly and there is a certain less than healthy trust for the information judging by comments here. If anyone has a problem with some of the information there please let me know so we can do a good job explaining the game. As I have told my students our goal is not a perfect translation but, rather, to help players enjoy the game and become better at it.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 18th March 2015, 12:22

Re: translation of wiki

Uhm, the problem with the wiki isn't that it's filled with deliberately false information, but rather that Crawl is a rapidly changing game and the wiki often isn't updated quickly enough to reliably provide up-to-date information. Even if your students successfully translated the entire wiki, half the information would still become obsolute just a year later.

By the way, are you a western teacher teaching Chinese or a Chinese one teaching English?

(Also, this thread should probably go to the Contributions subforum)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th March 2015, 17:22

If you want to see better pages, try only translating ones that are updated for version .16? This happened just recently though, so there may not be too many pages that have been updated. I hope whoever draws my naga guide likes translating long paragraphs :)

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th March 2015, 17:34

I hope that whoever does that just skips the Guides section (nothing personal tasonir, yours isn't the worst offender anyway).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th March 2015, 17:45

I assume the primary purpose of translating the guide is education/language practice, as OP mentioned they are students. I imagine they'll try the game as well, so accurate information would of course be best, but OP is aware there's accuracy issues, and students have reported it to, so I imagine that it will all work out. Having some pages with more long form paragraphs instead of bullet points might be helpful from an educational for language, if not for dungeon crawl mastery. Certainly the guides aren't the only pages with a lot of text, but there are also a fair amount of pages like http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Broad_axe which are just ~2-3 sentences and a lot of chart entries. At least the flavor text has a nice poem!

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
Sar

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 21st March 2015, 15:34

Scalding Steam wrote:Uhm, the problem with the wiki isn't that it's filled with deliberately false information, but rather that Crawl is a rapidly changing game and the wiki often isn't updated quickly enough to reliably provide up-to-date information. Even if your students successfully translated the entire wiki, half the information would still become obsolute just a year later.

By the way, are you a western teacher teaching Chinese or a Chinese one teaching English?

(Also, this thread should probably go to the Contributions subforum)

I am a western teacher. I guess I will ask the moderator to move this to Contributions. Thanks! :)

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 21st March 2015, 22:52

Moved to contributions.

Return to Contributions