New Title art / Splash art

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 8th November 2014, 20:10

New Title art / Splash art

In a previous post I said I was working on a new splash art - here it is : The minotaur

Hope you like ;)
minotaur-final.png
Minotaur Splash art
minotaur-final.png (40.01 KiB) Viewed 3152 times
Go forth and aid the weak!
----
http://peileppe.com/

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 8th November 2014, 21:25

Re: New Title art / Splash art

I like the idea! I think there are a few areas you can focus on to improve it:

First, his head. Vis this; bulls have protruding brows, buge foreheads, long snouts, and their eyes are way out on the sides of their head. The horns come out of a distinctive cylindrical thing on top of the head, not out of the sides. Obviously it's fine if you mix it around a little since he is a fantasy human-cow, but the closer you can get to the real thing, the better.

Secondly, the muscles. It's cartoony, and that's great, but you should still pay attention to where the muscles are going to lay. This charming guy would make a good reference. (Our giant/mino tiles really suffer from noodle-arm-syndrome, I need to fix that).

Try using spheres to lump out the shape of the various parts, that'll help you improve the shading.

For this message the author ontoclasm has received thanks:
Peileppe

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 8th November 2014, 22:26

You should probably also get rid of the hooves. Looking good, I'm sure it'll be great!
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 9th November 2014, 16:13

ontoclasm wrote:I like the idea! I think there are a few areas you can focus on to improve it:

First, his head. Vis this; bulls have protruding brows, buge foreheads, long snouts, and their eyes are way out on the sides of their head. The horns come out of a distinctive cylindrical thing on top of the head, not out of the sides. Obviously it's fine if you mix it around a little since he is a fantasy human-cow, but the closer you can get to the real thing, the better.

Secondly, the muscles. It's cartoony, and that's great, but you should still pay attention to where the muscles are going to lay. This charming guy would make a good reference. (Our giant/mino tiles really suffer from noodle-arm-syndrome, I need to fix that).

Try using spheres to lump out the shape of the various parts, that'll help you improve the shading.

The cartoony look was absolutely intentional, my process to make the art was similar with the previous one (the Eye of Draining) I start with the icon 32x32 and enlarge it and then I have fun until it looks good enough.
If you are the author of the minotaur tiles - I think it looks really fun and that's the look I wanted to achieve but obviously bigger.

Here is a comparison of the 32x32 pixels version (enlarge to 64px) and mine reduced :
minotaur-comparison.png
comparison at 64x64 pixels
minotaur-comparison.png (2.13 KiB) Viewed 3025 times

As for the head, I didn't want to have a standard bull head - and got my inspiration from other Minotaurs drawing or painting ...
Good point for the shading, though, and thanks for the feedback :)
Go forth and aid the weak!
----
http://peileppe.com/

Return to Contributions