Jumping Spider and Shark Tiles:Feedback

If you are interested in helping with tiles, vaults, patches or documentation, this is the place for that.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 21:18

Jumping Spider and Shark Tiles:Feedback

I just made 2 tiles today for the first time (woot!), but I would like feedback on them, if you don't mind.

The reason for asking here is that a lot more people seem to read or reply to forum stuff than mantis stuff. That said, 'Contributions' gets a fairly low number of views/replies, which brings me to my second request: Can we divide 'Contributions' into subfolders, such as 'Art' or 'Vaults'. I know that the flow of incoming art and vaults is pretty minimal right now, but I think that 'if you build it, they will come,' may apply here. See the Wesnoth forums.

The shark is still a WIP, since I'm not sure if the tail should be partially submerged, but the jumping spider is on Mantis.
Attachments
Shark.png
Shark.png (678 Bytes) Viewed 4835 times
JumpingSpiderSmall.png
JumpingSpiderSmall.png (1.26 KiB) Viewed 4835 times
Last edited by dolphin on Thursday, 7th April 2011, 01:31, edited 1 time in total.
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

co

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 09:22

Re: My Tiles:Feedback

Both of them are very good!
They need more shading though, both look a little flat.

Good job!

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 10:00

dolphin wrote:The shark is still a WIP, since I'm not sure if the tail should be partially submerged, but the jumping spider is on Mantis.

Note that you'll never see the shark out of water, so it's lower half will always be covered by a transparent water tile, anyway.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 12:02

jpeg: You might see a shark in full glory when using Fedhas' sunlight!

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 12:34

I see that the shark is flat, but how would you shade the jumper? Posteriorally darker? Ventrally darker? Darker between the legs? If you have time, could you show me?

dpeg, would you say that I need to redraw the shark to include the lower half of the tail?
TSE

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 13:04

jpeg wrote:
dolphin wrote:The shark is still a WIP, since I'm not sure if the tail should be partially submerged, but the jumping spider is on Mantis.

Note that you'll never see the shark out of water, so it's lower half will always be covered by a transparent water tile, anyway.

Actually, I did see a shark out of water once. Came downstairs in the Shoals and it was on the beach. There was text associated with it too, something about flopping about on dry land, IIRC. I think this was in 0.7 so perhaps it's been removed but it could still be possible.

co

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 13:52

That was trickier than I thought, Its not easy to get the legs right.:)
When I was shading the spider I found a few more things I could improve, so I made those changes too. This is what I did:
  • Made the legs thinner.
  • Made the back slightly larger.
  • Cleaned edges of the outlines.
  • Shaded everything except the head.
The head could still use some shading, as it is now it's a little hard to make out what shape it has.

However I did more than you asked for. If you feel like I've stepped on your toes, I'm sorry.
Attachments
JumpingSpiderSmall_co_edit.png
JumpingSpiderSmall_co_edit.png (1.16 KiB) Viewed 4786 times

For this message the author co has received thanks:
dolphin

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 14:01

Thanks for the demo, that's really helpful. Shading to the back of the legs, and between the head and abdomen, cleaner contrastier colors. You're not stepping on my toes at all.

However, I will probably make the forelegs thicker again (Jumpers, on average, tend to have thick, fuzzy forelegs) and add some contrast to the shape of the head. Did you add an indentation to the posterior of the abdomen? Spiders don't have pincers back there. At most the spinnerets tend to protrude a little from the rest of the abdomen.

edit: I might also probably change the legs so that they aren't in a line, but that will depend on when I get a round-to-it. Also see Mexican Brown JS, Google Images for JS, and Tree Of Life:Courtship Vids
TSE

co

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 14:25

Glad you found it helpful.
Ah, I didn't look up how jumpers look, but now I see that you are right about the legs and the abdomen.

Good luck!

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 18:20

Here is the edited version of the first, with thanks to co. (I kept the legs more or less the same) Submitting again to mantis.
Attachments
JumpingSpiderSmall2.png
JumpingSpiderSmall2.png (1.4 KiB) Viewed 4753 times
TSE

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 20:23

I'm going ahead with the 'submerged tail' version of the shark. If this won't work let me know. Again, critiques are welcome.
Attachments
Shark.png
Shark.png (1.03 KiB) Viewed 4740 times
TSE

co

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 21:38

Awesome!
Huge improvements on both tiles.
I really like the shark tile. :)

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 17:38

Re: Jumping Spider and Shark Tiles:Feedback

Awesome spider guys! I wish I had access to editing tools myself right now. Want to make new tiles so much

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 22nd May 2011, 08:30

@OP Whenever I make new tiles i put them up on Mantis and they are normally implemented a whole lot faster than using the forum.
However the forum is a much better place to discuss things.

Both of those tiles are pretty neat, but i just have one problem with the spider tile.
His head looked like a giant W, and i had to download and enlarge it, then It turned out that the W were its fangs.
Maybe if the fang outlines were darkened it would be a bit easier to understand.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 22nd May 2011, 13:15

I like the new shark tile :)

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 23rd May 2011, 12:08

omndra wrote:...but i just have one problem with the spider tile.
His head looked like a giant W, and i had to download and enlarge it, then It turned out that the W were its fangs.
Maybe if the fang outlines were darkened it would be a bit easier to understand.

I appreciate the criticism, Omndra. I do realize that there is the tendency the for 'artist' (gosh, I feel all pretentious now) to see what he/she intended to be seen rather than what is actually there on the media. Case-in-point: a 5-year-old doodles something and mommy exclaims that it is a wonderful drawing of a house, whereupon the offended five-year-old replies,"It's you, Mommy!", much to mommy's chagrin.

However, the tile does have the representation of jumping spider anatomy that I would like it to, so unless there is other feedback that the tile is confusing, I'm not particularly inclined to substantially change it.

Also, those aren't supposed to be 'fangs' but pedipalps, which are the fingers/noses/tongues/(for males) sex organs of spiders. The actual fangs are housed behind the pedipalps in the chelicerae. See this Flickr image for pedipalps, chelicerae, and fangs on a Daring Jumping Spider.
TSE

Return to Contributions