crawl.jorgrun.rocks server (CJR) being taken offline

Announcements and information

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 19th November 2018, 23:43

crawl.jorgrun.rocks server (CJR) being taken offline

Letting everyone know that Zibudo is taking CJR offline since he doesn't have the time nor desire to host the server any more.

The server will go down for sure by 11/30/18, and may be unavailable for accessing in-progress games before then. Hence It'd be a good idea to quickly wrap up any in-progress CJR games in the next few days. We don't have any plans to host existing saves on another server since that's not really possible for us to set up. We're working on moving game tracking metadata (logfile/milestone, morgue, and ttyrecs) to a place where they can be hosted long-term.

Thanks so much to Zibudo for hosting CJR for the last few years. Jorgrun and dwarven_lang will continue to carry the banner of glory through the great hall of memes.

For this message the author gammafunk has received thanks: 4
chequers, Implojin, nago, Octopode-monk-of-XOM

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 19th November 2018, 23:57

Re: crawl.jorgrun.rocks server (CJR) being taken offline

Finally another server can have a chance at being the coolest

For this message the author chequers has received thanks:
Octopode-monk-of-XOM

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 21st November 2018, 06:36

gammafunk wrote:Letting everyone know that Zibudo is taking CJR offline since he doesn't have the time nor desire to host the server any more.

The server will go down for sure by 11/30/18, and may be unavailable for accessing in-progress games before then. Hence It'd be a good idea to quickly wrap up any in-progress CJR games in the next few days. We don't have any plans to host existing saves on another server since that's not really possible for us to set up. We're working on moving game tracking metadata (logfile/milestone, morgue, and ttyrecs) to a place where they can be hosted long-term.

Thanks so much to Zibudo for hosting CJR for the last few years. Jorgrun and dwarven_lang will continue to carry the banner of glory through the great hall of memes.

I'm prepared to take over the server, maintain it, and pay for it so that it doesn't need to go down at all. The question is: will that be allowed to happen? If not, why not?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 21st November 2018, 12:15

If I cared enough to try something like this, I would have approached the server owners first. You have to think five Stratego moves ahead.
This is where mechanical excellence and one-thousand four-hundred horsepower pays off.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 21st November 2018, 17:32

tealizard wrote:If I cared enough to try something like this, I would have approached the server owners first. You have to think five Stratego moves ahead.

Actually, I already did. ZiBuDo agreed. But I don't want to take ownership of the server and then be surprised when they unlist it out of hatred for me, or something.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st November 2018, 21:08

Making a thinly-veiled stunt out of it is just giving people more reasons to hate you. I'm sure plenty of other people could maintain and pay for it (I'm one of them), so if you want it, maybe don't try to pre-emptively make yourself a martyr.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 21st November 2018, 21:13

MalcolmRose wrote:The question is: will that be allowed to happen? If not, why not?

I would personally object to CJR's account logins being delivered into MalcomRose's administration, even if they're properly salted and hashed.

That user seems much more interested in publicly stirring the pot (to drive youtube traffic?) than in honestly providing any kind of community service, and it seems to me that it would be a breach of trust to deliver a set of player logins to their control.

If you have an honest interest in providing a continuance of service for CJR, you can always setup a new Crawl server (the software is publicly available) and call it CMR or something. Let players create accounts there -- or not -- as they choose, instead of this slimy making-overtures-to-takeover-while-airing-grievances thing you have going on. Your behavior instills less than zero confidence in your motives.

I am not a member of the devteam, nor am I party to any of your previous disagreements. Any persecution you choose to feel from this post is entirely the result of your public interactions with the tavern and reddit.

For this message the author Implojin has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Octopode-monk-of-XOM, Pereza0

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 21st November 2018, 22:48

duvessa wrote:Making a thinly-veiled stunt out of it is just giving people more reasons to hate you. I'm sure plenty of other people could maintain and pay for it (I'm one of them), so if you want it, maybe don't try to pre-emptively make yourself a martyr.

Implojin wrote:
MalcolmRose wrote:The question is: will that be allowed to happen? If not, why not?

I would personally object to CJR's account logins being delivered into MalcomRose's administration, even if they're properly salted and hashed.

That user seems much more interested in publicly stirring the pot (to drive youtube traffic?) than in honestly providing any kind of community service, and it seems to me that it would be a breach of trust to deliver a set of player logins to their control.

If you have an honest interest in providing a continuance of service for CJR, you can always setup a new Crawl server (the software is publicly available) and call it CMR or something. Let players create accounts there -- or not -- as they choose, instead of this slimy making-overtures-to-takeover-while-airing-grievances thing you have going on. Your behavior instills less than zero confidence in your motives.

I am not a member of the devteam, nor am I party to any of your previous disagreements. Any persecution you choose to feel from this post is entirely the result of your public interactions with the tavern and reddit.

Hey there gentlemen - while I appreciate the spirited attempt at reading my mind and divining my motives, none of this is at all accurate and in fact a lot of these implications could be correctly described as personal attacks. Is that kind of thing allowed here? It's simple: I just want to keep CJR up with no downtime. It's a good speedrunning server, especially for those of us who live in the northeast.

Implojin: Regarding your security concerns - I assume you're the same guy who said that on Reddit. No offense intended but this is incredibly silly. It's a video game server. The player "logins" (as in the names) are already publicly available via Sequell/the akrasiac recordkeeping site/etc. If the passwords are salted and hashed, there's pretty much nothing malicious I could do - and, by the way, the implication that I would do that is pretty messed up in and of itself.

PS: The suggestion that I want to pay 80 dollars a month to drive traffic to my YouTube channel gave me a big hearty chuckle. Thank you for that, but if I wanted to hear goofy conspiracy theories I'd watch more Alex Jones. My channel doesn't even have monetization turned on.

PPS: To make things ultra clear: it's not about running a DCSS server, anyone can do that. I need the devs' blessing to keep it connected to the scoreboards and linked off of the develz site, and I'm being told I can't do that because of personal grievances or whatever. There's literally no point to running a non-fork DCSS server without it being connected to the scoreboards - please stop suggesting this, people could just play offline if they wanted to do that.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 21st November 2018, 22:53

I do not post on reddit.

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 25th November 2018, 23:21

There is a new server hosted in New York! https://crawl.kelbi.org

For this message the author chequers has received thanks:
Octopode-monk-of-XOM

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 26th November 2018, 21:22

chequers wrote:There is a new server hosted in New York! https://crawl.kelbi.org

I assume games here will be aggregated to the scoring lists?

Return to Bulletin Board