S-Z got the boot. Is there a way to restore my save?

Announcements and information

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 11th April 2016, 22:54

S-Z got the boot. Is there a way to restore my save?

https://crawl.s-z.org/

Topic title. I don't know all the details but the dang thing is down at the moment and I want to recover my save so I can get myself killed a few turns later. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 00:28

Re: S-Z got the boot. Is there a way to restore my save?

The saves exist but it seems pretty unlikely that they will be transferred to another server.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 01:36

Who would be the person to contact about something like this?

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 02:13

Nobody, for the time being. Perhaps in a few days something will be done.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 12:46

Aww man, I finally got a nice KoNe going, manage not to die stupidly, and then the server ceases to exist...

I guess it wasn't meant to be.

There was a weird message on the S-Z main site about people having short tempers, someone being banned, so I guess some kind of drama went down. Now that message is gone.

Neil said previously that he rents that server, so I assume he's the guy to talk to on the subject. Oh well, I hope it comes back.

Just to be sure, there's no way to transfer a save from a webtiles server into a local install, right?

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 14:24

For some reason, S-Z is the only server I can connect to where the webtiles socket works properly, so as well as my NaWz going (wasting about 8 hours of my time), I'm going to be stuffed!
<Sequell> Zargon is a greatplayer!
<Sequell> Zargon is a greaterplayer!
Online scoring

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 15:00

There's a bit more context here. It sounds like he'll probably at least be back in communication in a few days.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 15:06

Zargon wrote:For some reason, S-Z is the only server I can connect to where the webtiles socket works properly, so as well as my NaWz going (wasting about 8 hours of my time), I'm going to be stuffed!

Try another server that uses HTTPS.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 15:49

Ah, ok. So there was no hacking involved, Dreemur went and purposely broke some streaks, told Neil he would keep doing it unless he implemented single sign on, Neil decided he didn't want to deal with that nonsense, and shut down S-Z.

What I don't get is... what the response has to do with the problem. S-Z running or not does nothing to prevent anyone from breaking streaks. The scoring database still needs to be manually fixed to unbreak those streaks, and the griefer is still free to play.

Of course, Neil has every right to decide he doesn't want to pay his money and time to run a server, regardless of reasons. I'm not upset with him in any way over his decision, I just don't quite understand it, and I wonder if I'm missing something.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 16:15

dowan wrote:Ah, ok. So there was no hacking involved, Dreemur went and purposely broke some streaks, told Neil he would keep doing it unless he implemented single sign on, Neil decided he didn't want to deal with that nonsense, and shut down S-Z.

I still don't understand how you do this. Did he hack an account?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 16:27

Neil decided that continuing to run a server was no longer something he was enjoying, and since he was paying for cszo and spending time maintaining it, if he's not enjoying running the server the obvious thing to do is shut it down.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 16:36

PowerOfKaishin wrote:
dowan wrote:Ah, ok. So there was no hacking involved, Dreemur went and purposely broke some streaks, told Neil he would keep doing it unless he implemented single sign on, Neil decided he didn't want to deal with that nonsense, and shut down S-Z.

I still don't understand how you do this. Did he hack an account?

So when I played on S-Z, I played mostly under Damiac14. Nobody can play as damiac14 on S-Z without knowing my password.
However, I never registered a damiac14 account on CAO. So if I had a streak going, and someone went to CAO and created an account called Damiac14, and lost, my streak would be broken, because the database pulls from a large list of servers.

Apparently there are a LOT of servers that database pulls from, so if the person with a streak hasn't registered his account on all those servers, anybody could come and register under that name, messing up that person's record.

I can see how this sort of drama would turn a person off doing a thankless favor to the community. I hope the games in progress can be transferred elsewhere, or even just uploaded en mass so we could pull the file and play locally, but I'm not even sure webtiles saves are compatible with local installation saves.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 16:53

As this is not really "technical support," I'm moving this thread to Announcements Bulletin Board, for lack of a better place. e: Also, I think it's safe to say that on the topic of CSZO saves, patience is a good idea.

I'll also quote Neil from the r/DCSS thread:
I also recommend registering your account on every server listed at http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/howto (other than CSZO obviously), even if you play on only one server. Otherwise someone is liable to register the account and lose a game (which will be credited to you) precisely when it will hurt you the most.

If you care about your score history, you should probably do this. Of course, griefers tend to make what they're doing pretty obvious, like when somebody broke my streak by quitting on the D:1 stairs.

As for the rest of this, dowan is right to point out that managing a server is "thankless," but that's just the status quo, not a natural law. This kind of thing should remind everyone that our community doesn't exist without the volunteers who develop and maintain the game, and all too often that volunteer effort is met with indifference at best. Thank a dev, thank a server admin.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 3
dowan, dreamurr, dreemyurr

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2016, 13:03

It's as good a time as any, thanks to everyone involved in making, hosting, supporting, and improving dungeon crawl. You guys are involved in what may be the best game out there right now, and you keep making it better, and keeping it available for all the freeloaders like myself. Thanks to the tavern administration for keeping this place decent, and reasonably peaceful. Thanks to all the crawl server administrators to giving people a place to play the game.

Also, thanks for not kicking me out of this community a long time ago. The moderation team here has the patience of saints, but I think the success of their moderation style shows in the kind of community we have here.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks: 3
Brannock, n1000, TeshiAlair

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2016, 14:27

dowan said it very well. Thanks to devs past and present for an awesome game. My sympathies for the bullshit that sometimes goes with it.

Return to Bulletin Board