Thanks Are Back

Announcements and information

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 3rd April 2016, 05:58

Thanks Are Back

I don't think Thanks-on-OP-only worked. It's possible that some of the benefits of Thanks removal would only reveal themselves after everyone got tired of meme'ing about it, but a) I don't think it encouraged people to chime in with more constructive posts and b) I don't think it really cut back on anything we'd like to see less of. It just seems to annoy a lot of people who were using it in good faith.

There are interesting arguments on both sides of the fence w/r/t Thanks, and it's possible we'll give this experiment another go with full Thanks removal in the future. But I can't see any particularly compelling reason to keep this current system up, as it's trivially bypassed and has become a distraction in and of itself. Thanks for being patient while we tried it out, and let me know if I'm missing some crucial evidence of Thanksless Tavern being a better place.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 10
Arrhythmia, Blade, mattlistener, mopl, Siegurt, Sprucery, TeshiAlair, ydeve, Yermak, yesno

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 3rd April 2016, 09:19

Re: Thanks Are Back

but how will we live without thank counts below our avatars?

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, WingedEspeon

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 3rd April 2016, 15:40

It's in your user profile, if you just want to stare at those numbers and feel good about the quantification of how much people really like you duvessa

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 3rd April 2016, 18:14

Thank goodness finally something to work towards again

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2016, 10:46

archaeo wrote: a) I don't think it encouraged people to chime in with more constructive posts and b) I don't think it really cut back on anything we'd like to see less of. It just seems to annoy a lot of people who were using it in good faith.

The last point is an important reason imo. Most people use thanks in good faith. I doubt you can educate people by changing forum features. And I'd like to comment on one thing you posted in Remove the thank feature :

archaeo wrote:As njvack said above, we're hoping that people can be reasonable about giving this change a try instead of requiring us to remove their protest posts, something that we will likely have to start doing if people persist.

This was an unfortunate post and I doubt you can make things better by threatening anybody.

As you probably know I made a poll about the thank button removal some weeks ago. I was surprised how many people voted against it! In the meantime I think the removal was interesting because of two reasons:

• the idea of making people talk to each other instead of hitting buttons
  • the idea of avoiding "thank hunting" - just writing whatever stuff to get thanks and brag with it
So it was maybe a good idea but... And the but is the point why I like to have thanks back, we had enough arguments for it.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 6th April 2016, 15:34

It's not really a threat for moderators to say that they'll enforce new forum rules, even if they're experimental, so that's a pretty unfair characterization

and I was even one of those "protestors" although tepid is a pretty solid descriptor

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 16th December 2017, 02:43

Thanks

For this message the author TotallynotGrimm has received thanks: 2
archaeo, Arrhythmia

Return to Bulletin Board