New DCSS fork

Announcements and information

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 21st February 2016, 15:15

New DCSS fork

I have been working on a fork of DCSS for many months now to play around with some fun ideas I had that wouldn't necessarily fit within the philosophies of the main DCSS project. I made it for myself, just for fun. But I have been having so much fun with the changes I have made, that I realized someone else may like to try out some of the crazy ideas I have implemented. If you are interested, you are welcome to download and build my fork: https://github.com/jeremygurr/dcssca.git

Very brief summary of some of the changes:

Djinni, were brought back and revamped. They can't read scrolls, since they burn up in their hands, but don't have the original contamination mechanic. Curses are a big deal to them, since they can't read scolls to remove them, but they have an ability to remove a curse for 1 permanent magic point. They also have a mutation that slowly identifies random attributes of items they carry, somewhat compensating for their lack of ability to read identify scrolls. This ability increases in power as they advance in levels. They also get some healing from fire damage.

Felids can wear 4 rings, and have exactly 9 lives at the beginning of the game, which never changes. They also move faster with experience.

Mummies have better starting attributes, but gain levels even more slowly than before, and are immune to curses, having the ability to take off a cursed item at any time.

Summoning spells no longer have caps on how many creatures can be summoned for each type. Instead, summoned creatures continually consume the player's magic until there is no more magic to support them, then they disappear. More powerful creatures consume more magic of course. This put the player in the interesting position of being able to have 1 hydra for a longer period of time, or many of them for a very short time.

There are many more changes, affecting most of the species to make them more interesting and playable (IMHO). Although I have beaten the game with some of these species, because I am the only one testing it, there are likely major flaws and balancing issues in this fork.

For a more detailed list of changes, see the README at the github site for this project.

I welcome your thoughts and ideas.

For this message the author jeremygurr has received thanks: 4
Brannock, dpeg, graffen69, nago

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 21st February 2016, 15:19

Re: New DCSS fork

I think you double posted your announcement. But whatever, great to see another live fork!

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 21st February 2016, 18:01

Re: New DCSS fork

Sorry about the double post. I figured probably some people would be watching one place and not the other, and it seemed suitable for both places. But maybe I misunderstand how things are suppose to work here.

Return to Bulletin Board