Fellowship of the ring

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 09:42

Fellowship of the ring

New self-challenge : win with the whole community...
But here comes a first question : what BG choose for all characters to make it not annoying...
Of course, I could play 4 HaWr, but meh !

Let's start with easy ones :
    Gandalf : DEWz, Cj would also be an option but I have a preference for Wz background
    Gimli : DD, a Fi would be more RP-ish than Be
    Legolas : HESk seems good
    Boromir : HuFi

Now the other ones. For the Hobbits, I consider playing 4Ha, or 3Ha/1Ko (really not RP-ish but more variation) or 2Ha/1Ko/1Sp.
For backgrounds :
    One Ha will naturally go with slings (so Hu), is it viable,in a long-term game ?
    For another Ha, As seems a viable background, considering the +3 Throwing a good Stealth
    If playing a Ko,he will go with crossbow
    Frodo could be a wanderer... (hope he will find good rings :lol: )

Stays Aragorn. As Boromir is already a HuFi, I consider playing him as a Demigod...

What do you think of my "Crawl Community" ?
Any advice or modification ? Thx
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 15:41

Re: Fellowship of the ring

mopl wrote: Now the other ones. For the Hobbits, I consider playing 4Ha, or 3Ha/1Ko (really not RP-ish but more variation) or 2Ha/1Ko/1Sp.

I agree, a little differentation is in order even if it's not very roleplayish. So at least one, say, Frodo, should definitely be a Kobold.

mopl wrote:Frodo could be a wanderer... (hope he will find good rings :lol: )

Consider Chaos Knight also. Frodo does go a little crazy after all because of the Ring. Just like everyone else who has contact with the One Ring.

Then if you would be playing Frodo the Kobold Chaos Knight you could tell a story in which mad Boromir tries to force the KoCK to give him something "precious" but pretty soon can see through his own madness and repents that he has scared away the very KoCK he had sworn to protect.

You are welcome!

For this message the author Mankeli has received thanks:
mopl

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 15:48

If anyone should be a Demigod it's Gandalf. Don't forget to hit dudes with your sword a lot. Especially orcs.
Edit: slings destroy regular game. Use silver bullets on orbs of fire.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
mopl, rebthor

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 15:55

Sar wrote:If anyone should be a Demigod it's Gandalf. Don't forget to hit dudes with your sword a lot. Especially orcs.
Edit: slings destroy regular game. Use silver bullets on orbs of fire.

Great idea ! But what for my 2 humans ? Both Fighters would be a little boring

Mankeli wrote:
mopl wrote: Now the other ones. For the Hobbits, I consider playing 4Ha, or 3Ha/1Ko (really not RP-ish but more variation) or 2Ha/1Ko/1Sp.

I agree, a little differentation is in order even if it's not very roleplayish. So at least one, say, Frodo, should definitely be a Kobold.

mopl wrote:Frodo could be a wanderer... (hope he will find good rings :lol: )

Consider Chaos Knight also. Frodo does go a little crazy after all because of the Ring. Just like everyone else who has contact with the One Ring.

Then if you would be playing Frodo the Kobold Chaos Knight you could tell a story in which mad Boromir tries to force the KoCK to give him something "precious" but pretty soon can see through his own madness and repents that he has scared away the very KoCK he had sworn to protect.

You are welcome!

Amusing ! I also consider Boromir as a simple excuse if my character fails to wins ;)
Online stats

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 16:49

Aragorn - Ranger - HuHu.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 07:52

I'm sorry but Gimli is impossible - he could only be MDFi.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 09:44

Grimm wrote:I'm sorry but Gimli is impossible - he could only be MDFi.

That's what I thought too, but I didn't want to speak of MD... still too soon, sadness you know...
Online stats

Wizlab Walloper

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 11:00

Make Frodo an octopode.

For this message the author Azrael has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Eringya's Employee

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 13:13

Froctopode?
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Eringya's Employee

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 13:14

An article about LoTR, someone mentioning MDs... Brace yourselves, Dpeg is coming!
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 20:08

Gandalf should be a reaver, if we talking about removed thinks

And because he likes to kill stuff with a sword, maybe make him HE

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 20:23

No Gandalf is a Demigod because Istari are Maiar.

rebthor

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 20:31

Grimm wrote:No Gandalf is a Demigod because Istari are Maiar.

Wrong. As an istar he must believe in Eru Ilúvatar who is the Supreme Being/God in Tolkien lore hence violating the "no gods, no masters" attitude of DCSS demigods.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 20:36

Wrong. The existence of Eru is not a question of belief, especially for Maiar. They actually lived in Valinor so Eru is like their dad. And the Istari wander alone, with no immediate help from the Valar, just like Dg.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 20:54

Grimm wrote:Wrong. The existence of Eru is not a question of belief, especially for Maiar. They actually lived in Valinor so Eru is like their dad. And the Istari wander alone, with no immediate help from the Valar, just like Dg.

This is a fair point. However, the gods in DCSS are not "a question of belief" either for their followers: You do something X which pleases the deity (gain piety) and then you get Y from that deity in question (abilities, invocations, gifts). The gods in DCSS are just as real to their followers as is Eru for Maiar. You can even commit deicide which has visible effects (Jiyva) -deicide would not have those effects if the Crawl deities weren't real in the Crawl context. Hence, Gandalf cannot be Dg.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 21:03

However the relationship of the Istari to Eru or the Valar resembles the relationship of Dg to Crawl gods more than it does the relationship of other races to Crawl gods. Namely, the Istari don't work to please the higher gods and they don't get bennies from them. The Istari were specifically sent to ME to work alone as undercover agents, relying on no one. If they had been in a close lord/worshipper relationship with the Valar, Saruman would have been stopped shortly after he began to incline to evil.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 15:22

Grimm wrote:However the relationship of the Istari to Eru or the Valar resembles the relationship of Dg to Crawl gods more than it does the relationship of other races to Crawl gods. Namely, the Istari don't work to please the higher gods and they don't get bennies from them.

A well articulated point once again and I kind of agree with it. However, Gandalf did come back from the dead, at least sort of, the book is somewhat ambiguous. So claiming that the Istari do not get anything from the higher gods (be it Valar or Eru) seems not to be the case. I believe the quote from the book goes something like this: "Then darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time,..... Naked I was sent back - for a brief time, until my task is done." -Gandalf

Notice, that he was sentback and sending back someone/thing requires a sender which I personally believe to be some of the higher gods (Valar) in Valinor (possibly, but highly unlikely even Eru). This interpretation gets some love in the vast depths of the internet but is debatable, of course. I still feel that Gandalf should not -and could not- be Dg in Crawl.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 17:03

Mankeli wrote:
Grimm wrote:However the relationship of the Istari to Eru or the Valar resembles the relationship of Dg to Crawl gods more than it does the relationship of other races to Crawl gods. Namely, the Istari don't work to please the higher gods and they don't get bennies from them.

A well articulated point once again and I kind of agree with it. However, Gandalf did come back from the dead, at least sort of, the book is somewhat ambiguous. So claiming that the Istari do not get anything from the higher gods (be it Valar or Eru) seems not to be the case. I believe the quote from the book goes something like this: "Then darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time,..... Naked I was sent back - for a brief time, until my task is done." -Gandalf

Notice, that he was sentback and sending back someone/thing requires a sender which I personally believe to be some of the higher gods (Valar) in Valinor (possibly, but highly unlikely even Eru). This interpretation gets some love in the vast depths of the internet but is debatable, of course. I still feel that Gandalf should not -and could not- be Dg in Crawl.

Apparently it was Eru who sent him back, not any of the Valar:
Wikipedia wrote:Although immortal, their physical bodies could be destroyed by violence—thus Gandalf truly died in the fight with the Balrog, beyond the power of the Valar to resurrect him; Eru Ilúvatar himself intervened to send Gandalf back.
(footnote) ^ In Letters, #156, pp 202–3, Tolkien clearly implies that the 'Authority' who sent Gandalf back was above the Valar (who are bound by Arda's space and time, while Gandalf went beyond time). Tolkien clearly intends this as an example of Eru intervening to change the course of the world.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 18:45

Gandalf for sure is a Dg, not a DE.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 18:50

Mankeli wrote:
Grimm wrote:No Gandalf is a Demigod because Istari are Maiar.

Wrong. As an istar he must believe in Eru Ilúvatar who is the Supreme Being/God in Tolkien lore hence violating the "no gods, no masters" attitude of DCSS demigods.

You are conflating belief with worship. No one says that the Dg may not believe in other gods. In fact it would be quite odd if they disbelieved in their progenitor. What they may not do is worship them.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 21:41

Given the new information that has surfaced regarding Eru's role in Gandalf's resurrection, I feel that that event, though not very congruent with Crawl metaphysics, does not sufficiently weigh against Gandalf's nature as a demigod for me to abandon my position. Also the resurrection did not happen as a reward at high piety, as it would for a Crawl character, but was the result of duty and a much higher power. (A rough equivalent would be Linley Henzell posting on the Tavern and demanding that Mountain Dwarves be reinstated.) Furthermore this resurrection is the only evidence against. There are still more facts for, namely that the Istari resembled men but "with greater vigour" (= enhanced stats), and that, unlike many of the other races in ME, they were not particularly dedicated to one or another of the Valar, just like Dg have no immediate lord.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 16th November 2013, 01:49

I thought Grimm killed this thread when he mentioned MD, but what do ya know... :P

For this message the author pratamawirya has received thanks:
mopl

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 17th November 2013, 00:51

Make Gimli a gargoyle.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 17th November 2013, 03:01

Imo Gandalf is Dj.
1. Spirit-like nature.
2. Fire affinity.
3. Don't solve all problems with firestorms because that will hurt him and there are spare dudes anyway.

Grimm wrote:A rough equivalent would be Linley Henzell posting on the Tavern and demanding that Mountain Dwarves be reinstated.

Wait.
You mean... if some brave representative of crawl community will undertake epic quest to find Linley and force him to do that...
MD will be back?
http://giphy.com/gifs/7VMQZ0iKZF8re
What would be fun is a God who uses piety like a fighting game style super meter. Piety decays rapidly outside of combat, builds up during fights, spend it for secret techniques and super moves.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 17th November 2013, 03:10

That is a singularly crap gif.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 17th November 2013, 19:44

Siegurt wrote: Apparently it was Eru who sent him back, not any of the Valar:
Wikipedia wrote:Although immortal, their physical bodies could be destroyed by violence—thus Gandalf truly died in the fight with the Balrog, beyond the power of the Valar to resurrect him; Eru Ilúvatar himself intervened to send Gandalf back.
(footnote) ^ In Letters, #156, pp 202–3, Tolkien clearly implies that the 'Authority' who sent Gandalf back was above the Valar (who are bound by Arda's space and time, while Gandalf went beyond time). Tolkien clearly intends this as an example of Eru intervening to change the course of the world.

This is interesting, I haven't read the letters -neither had the internet wizards that were arguing in favor of Valar intervention, although I did leave a door open for this originally in my speculation. I feel that this revelation further solidifies my point.

rebthor wrote:You are conflating belief with worship. No one says that the Dg may not believe in other gods. In fact it would be quite odd if they disbelieved in their progenitor. What they may not do is worship them.

You make a fair point, I think this is the most convincing argument yet. You are right that demigods must have half divine origin so they must have had some kind of connection to a divine being at some point of their lives even if the link would have (possibly) been severed by now.

Still, I think it is plain wrong to say that Gandalf simply just believes in Eru (or Valar) without actually showing it in his actions in any way so I must insist Gandalf should not be Dg. The intresting wikipedia article clearly says that "As one of the angelic Maiar spirits, Olorin (my addition: later known as Gandalf in Middle Earth) was in service to the Creator (Eru) and the Creator's "Secret Fire" (i.e. Holy Spirit)". I find it hard to believe that his servitude ended when he entered Middle Earth -quite the contrary: "The Wizards were commanded to aid Men, Elves, and Dwarves, but only through counsel; it was forbidden to use force to dominate them".

A Dg character would never get resurrected by deity in Crawl no matter what assumptions you make about their lives and beliefs outside of Crawl. Also bear in mind, that resurrection (or the chance of it) is exactly the same tool that is used by some Crawl gods to reward a follower at high piety! Think of TSO and Ely, for example. So, if we want to have a coherent character of Gandalf in Crawl, he should be able to show devotion and worship a god like Gandalf, to a some extent, seems to be doing in Tolkien's books eventhough it is rarely written out explicitly. The "worshipping" is done in a more discrete way compared to the the how Crawl's god-follower relationship is generally handled but it is there and I think it is strong an explicit enough to forbid Gandalf being a Dg in Crawl. Gandalf is more like a 27 level fire elementalist of some deity X who has grinded zigs for experience and great gear (magical ring, magical sword, great skills).

Grimm wrote:Given the new information that has surfaced regarding Eru's role in Gandalf's resurrection, I feel that that event, though not very congruent with Crawl metaphysics, does not sufficiently weigh against Gandalf's nature as a demigod for me to abandon my position. Also the resurrection did not happen as a reward at high piety, as it would for a Crawl character, but was the result of duty and a much higher power. (A rough equivalent would be Linley Henzell posting on the Tavern and demanding that Mountain Dwarves be reinstated.) Furthermore this resurrection is the only evidence against. There are still more facts for, namely that the Istari resembled men but "with greater vigour" (= enhanced stats), and that, unlike many of the other races in ME, they were not particularly dedicated to one or another of the Valar, just like Dg have no immediate lord.

Actually, Gandalf's resurrection did happen because of high piety or maybe more accordingly, because of the deep devotion he had for his duties. Saruman did not get resurrected after all -he broke the Eru's (or Valar's or both's, hard to make the difference at times) "code of conduct" which would be something like casting necromutation on a TSO character in Crawl. Think of it this way: Gandalf had gained enough piety (probaly was at full 200 piety) with Eru to able to the get the life saving. Gandalf is following the instructions he has been given when he left to Middle Earth: the instructions are not that different from Trog's "no magic" or TSO's "no necromancy" conducts although much more vague and less explicit in nature. However, as we clearly see in Saruman's case, there are repercussions for messing with that conduct.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Monday, 18th November 2013, 13:53

Everytime he pulls that hard on his bandana I expect the top of his head to get sliced off.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 18th November 2013, 14:30

Confidence Interval wrote:Everytime he pulls that hard on his banana I expect the top of his head to get sliced off.

ftfy

Confidence Interval

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 18th November 2013, 14:42

Confidence Interval wrote:
Everytime he pulls that hard on his bandana I expect the top of his head to get sliced off.

Man it's a gif, the end won't ever change... ;)
Online stats

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 20th November 2013, 10:53

You will find the first character of the fellowship who made it here
Online stats

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 20th November 2013, 11:00

Gandalf is actually just Xom in a wizard disguise.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner