Generic Brainstorming!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 13th March 2011, 11:47

Generic Brainstorming!

So I've been having various ideas about all kinds of things so I figure I should pool them together. Feel free to ignore these or post your own. I'll keep my enemy ideas in the other thread.

Scroll of Self Replication: Creates a neutral you who will run off and kill enemies. If you die and the neutral you is still alive, you switch to them. This scroll is quite rare indeed.
Scroll of Pranking: Does various harmless things, from making you vibrate rapidly, to getting you sopping wet, to filling your empty inventory spaces with feces. Some can be useful if you are creative...

A race (can't think of a name) that has 6 arms, thus allowing it to wield 6 one handed items, and also making them effective monks. However, they have slighlty higher metabolism and a low proficiency for magic.
At the same time, add duel wielding, which lets you greatly increase your attack rate at the cost of accuracy.

A class, Blacksmith. It is essentially a fighter, but with spells for permanently enchanting items, less overall attack power, but slightly more tanky

Food items: Burger.
Can be eaten by vegetarians and carnivores, but they won't eat the entire thing :P
Chocolate, Doughnut, Lasagna, Tacos, Lembas bread, Soda (description shows that it is brewed by Soda Monks, off in a far off country), Pie, Cake, Double Decker Cake, Ice Cream (may melt), Ground Beef.

Potion of Digestion: Temporarily makes you easily able to digest anything, and gives you high resistance to consumed poison.
Potion of Caffeine: Increases all of your stats temporarily.
Potion of Mud: Ewww
Potion of Appetite: For a fairly decent amount of time, greatly decreases your metabolism.
Potion of Ugly: Makes you look like either a Goblin, Hobgoblin, Demon, etc... based off of size. Enemies will not attack you while under this disguise.
Pan Galactic Gargleblaster: Feels like you got your brains bashed out by a lemon wrapped around a gold brick. These potions always appear yellow.
Potion of Libido: Hilarity will ensue.

Possible Debuffs:
Craving. You will eat all edible items in your inventory in random order. You will get sick if you are engorged.
Lethargic. You are slow and if there are no enemies around you will rest.

Weapon: Beheader. This special sword splits in 2 and has a mechanism to cause it to snap shut, decapitating things.

Extremely rare scroll: Global Thermonuclear Apocalypse. Not neccessarily a game ender, but it would change the game dramatically.
Craziest Hamster

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 13th March 2011, 13:10

Re: Generic Brainstorming!

This is "at least a bit" serious.
Craziest Hamster

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 13th March 2011, 18:37

In my mod-ly opinion, there's nothing wrong with having a thread or two devoted to zany, half-serious speculation and brainstorming. We've all sat around and gone "you know what would be cool..." and come up with something completely ridiculous at least once in our lives. Crazy Yiuf's corner is certainly the place for it, and it's preferable to derailing serious conversation in other threads with off topic posts.

Some people here enjoy varkarrus' somewhat odd sense of humor. If you happen not to, well, there's plenty of other threads where things are more serious.

Consider this a general statement of policy. I expect people to respect others and not derail things when they want to be serious, but I also want people to respect others and let them have silly fun in places explicitly set aside for it.

On topic:

Amulets of (gender)Change: because there's nothing else that has no appreciable effect on gameplay, but still makes you insanely paranoid to wear un-ID-ed equipment.

For this message the author mageykun has received thanks: 3
cganya, danr, Roderic

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 13th March 2011, 20:00

oots0009clip.gif
oots0009clip.gif (51.04 KiB) Viewed 50891 times
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 13th March 2011, 20:05

mageykun wrote:In my mod-ly opinion, there's nothing wrong with having a thread or two devoted to zany, half-serious speculation and brainstorming. We've all sat around and gone "you know what would be cool..." and come up with something completely ridiculous at least once in our lives. Crazy Yiuf's corner is certainly the place for it, and it's preferable to derailing serious conversation in other threads with off topic posts.

Some people here enjoy varkarrus' somewhat odd sense of humor. If you happen not to, well, there's plenty of other threads where things are more serious.

Consider this a general statement of policy. I expect people to respect others and not derail things when they want to be serious, but I also want people to respect others and let them have silly fun in places explicitly set aside for it.

Fair enough in Crazy Yiuf's corner. My apologies to varkarrus :)
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 13th March 2011, 20:08

Apology totally accepted, I hold no grudges :P

RPGs should draw significantly more inspiration from OOTS.
Especially the Girdle. Not sure how gender would work in game (too low resolution for it to be purely cosmetic, especially in ASCII mode)

An idea I had, sentient, talking creatures should chat with each other, saying generic lines if you can hear them but they can't see you, stuff like "I hear Sigmund has a new scythe!" or "Did you hear that goblin chick from the 7th floor got knocked up?"

Maybe even a parrot that can say these lines :P
A giant, man eating parrot.

But now I am thinking of pirate parrots pets and now I think you need PETS in this game. Everything from slaves to jackals to terriers to giant, man eating parrots, and so on! There could be a pet store and everything! Best pet: Hamsters.

If you are desperate, you can eat your pets.
Craziest Hamster

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 13th March 2011, 23:49

varkarrus wrote:Potion of Digestion: Temporarily makes you easily able to digest anything, and gives you high resistance to consumed poison.
Potion of Appetite: For a fairly decent amount of time, greatly decreases your metabolism.
Potion of Ugly: Makes you look like either a Goblin, Hobgoblin, Demon, etc... based off of size. Enemies will not attack you while under this disguise.

Possible Debuffs:
Craving. You will eat all edible items in your inventory in random order. You will get sick if you are engorged.
Lethargic. You are slow and if there are no enemies around you will rest.

These ideas seem decent. :)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 14th March 2011, 01:40

varkarrus wrote:An idea I had, sentient, talking creatures should chat with each other, saying generic lines if you can hear them but they can't see you, stuff like "I hear Sigmund has a new scythe!" or "Did you hear that goblin chick from the 7th floor got knocked up?"

Yes, please.

varkarrus wrote:Best pet: Hamsters.

No.

varkarrus wrote:If you are desperate, you can eat your pets.

Double no.

...But then, I imagine how hilarious it will be when a follower of Okawaru does this.

Still double no.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th March 2011, 07:30

varkarrus wrote:A race (can't think of a name) that has 6 arms, thus allowing it to wield 6 one handed items, and also making them effective monks. However, they have slighlty higher metabolism and a low proficiency for magic.

A cephalopod race. Octopoids. Squidmen. The time has come.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 14th March 2011, 20:21

RACE IDEA (most serious idea yet, methinks):

Homunculus!

These golemns made from flesh from various creatures and machinery are large and very strong. They do need to eat fairly often (~troll amount), and have higher regeneration the more full they are. They have naturally high AC but almost no EV. They are O.K spellcasters, and a great choice if you want a tanky mage. They have low skill with short blades and ranged weapons, but are good with larger swords and maces. They move quite slowly. They are immune to mutations and stat changing potions. When they are attacked, there is a fairly large chance they will rot a little, but eating can cure the rot and the stat damage caused by it. A unique part about them is that they can eat metal items, with a dagger being about equal to a pear, and a sword being bread rations, and dwarven plate mail being meat rations. They are immune to poison, but weak against acid, which will also slow them.
Craziest Hamster

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 14th March 2011, 20:29

varkarrus wrote:RACE IDEA (most serious idea yet, methinks):

Homunculus!

These golemns made from flesh from various creatures and machinery are large and very strong. They do need to eat fairly often (~troll amount), and have higher regeneration the more full they are. They have naturally high AC but almost no EV. They are O.K spellcasters, and a great choice if you want a tanky mage. They have low skill with short blades and ranged weapons, but are good with larger swords and maces. They move quite slowly. They are immune to mutations and stat changing potions. When they are attacked, there is a fairly large chance they will rot a little, but eating can cure the rot and the stat damage caused by it. A unique part about them is that they can eat metal items, with a dagger being about equal to a pear, and a sword being bread rations, and dwarven plate mail being meat rations. They are immune to poison, but weak against acid, which will also slow them.

Awww ...
Until that metal eating, this sounded as a wicked, yet actually interesting race. But the metal eating would keep them engorged at all times.
Hmmm ... Do we go for a little refinement of this? ;)
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th March 2011, 20:31

There might be a seed of an idea there for using floor trash for other purposes...I like that Nemelexers get to utilize otherwise useless crap for a good purpose (even though decks of destruction are weak). Maybe artificers could reforge weapons or something? Use the metal to power some sort of device?

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 14th March 2011, 23:27

Okay, maybe they CAN eat metal, but it doesn't give them much nutrition? Or if they eat normal food they get sick and don't gain as much nutrition?

I guess it still means they will be eating every useless item they find, like Nemelex.
Oh wow now I'm thinking of a Homunculus Nemelex worshipper, and they would have to think between eating and sacrificing, much like a Troll of Trog.
Craziest Hamster

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2011, 00:02

Varkarrus, have you ever played Nethack? The interface isn't as nice as crawls, but an insane sense of humor is built right in. Players eating metal, pets, eating your pets, specific and unique consequences for eating your pets, getting turned into ugly monsters, potions of booze, ridiculous monsters, and even more ridiculous monsters you can only see while hallucinating. Everything you seem to want from a game is already there. ;)

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2011, 00:11

(!!!)

I'll give it a try!

Yeah I guess I'm imposing my helenic ideal of a roguelike onto Stone Soup, as in my opinion it only has one flaw: It's general lack of insane humor xD.
THING IS can NETHACK HOLD A TORCH UP TO THE GLORY THAT IS STONE SOUP???

Also, small (silly :( ) idea: When you die to a particular unique very often, the death screen will have the added message "You must really hate (him/her) by now" in colored text (to make it more noticable)

And Homunculi, in game, should also have similar rottingonhit-ness, and if you butcher them, you will also get a decent amount of random daggers from the scrap metal.
Craziest Hamster

For this message the author varkarrus has received thanks:
Roderic

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2011, 03:27

Double Post, but VAULT IDEAS

&&&
&D&
&S&

S is Secret Door
D is Dragon.

&S&
S<S
&S&

< is stairs down.

&&&.........&&&
&................&
&................&
&................&
&................&
&......&S&.....&
&.....&..&.....&
&.....&..&.....&
&.....&..&.....&
&&&&.....&&&&

You hit a deadend... but upon feeling the walls you open a door and find yourself in a large room

OOOOO
OG GO
O < O
OG GO
OOOOO

O is glass wall.
G is gold.
Craziest Hamster

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2011, 07:42

You may want to put vaults suggestions into "code" tags - makes them much easier to read.
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2011, 09:05

minmay wrote:
Grimm wrote:I like that Nemelexers get to utilize otherwise useless crap for a good purpose (even though decks of destruction are weak).

I don't like this. It means that they walk up to every piece of otherwise useless crap they find just to sacrifice it. To me, that's tedium.

Granted, but the autoexplore features reduce much of the tedium here.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2011, 19:35

Zicher wrote:You may want to put vaults suggestions into "code" tags - makes them much easier to read.

In my defense I was sleep deprived at the time.
Craziest Hamster

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2011, 20:37

Sorry for doubleposting but I couldn't find the edit button.

I was thinking every time a player makes it out of the dungeon of Zot with the orb, a unique item is generated that can appear in the dungeon at any time that is named after said character, and has different properties based off of the stats of the player you were playing as.

E.G, if you were playing as a Spriggan Berserker and escaped, you might find a large knife named after him, that will lower one's metabolism, grant berserk, and high EV.

If you find one of these and die, the item can still be generated, but if you find one, and escape the dungeon carrying one, it will no longer be generated. So be kind, leave it behind.

EDIT: I had another idea and now the edit button IS VISIBLE???
WHAAT

Okay, my new idea is that slave shops could pop up. Just like any other shops, but you can buy enslaved creatures that will follow you through the entire dungeon. You can even name them!
Craziest Hamster

For this message the author varkarrus has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2011, 20:51

varkarrus wrote:I was thinking every time a player makes it out of the dungeon of Zot with the orb, a unique item is generated that can appear in the dungeon at any time that is named after said character, and has different properties based off of the stats of the player you were playing as.

E.G, if you were playing as a Spriggan Berserker and escaped, you might find a large knife named after him, that will lower one's metabolism, grant berserk, and high EV.

If you find one of these and die, the item can still be generated, but if you find one, and escape the dungeon carrying one, it will no longer be generated. So be kind, leave it behind.

In fact, naming artifacts after players' names is already in the game, although very rare. I found a few of these, but the most LOL moment was when I found a randart (can't recall what] "of Zicher's Demise". I still wonder what Crawl was trying to tell me - I didn't use that artifact and won the game afterwards 8-) .

Seriously though, this would be a bit problematic - what would be suggested for caster winners?

Post your edit: the Edit button has a timeout.
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2011, 21:05

Staves. And robes and wizard's hats.
Craziest Hamster

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2011, 21:55

varkarrus wrote:Staves. And robes and wizard's hats.

Thematically, this is correct - but how would you reflect the skills, save for a wizardry bonus and that +9 MP?
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2011, 22:00

It would depend on that player's playstyle. If he/she ran around nuking everything, bonus to wizardry. If he got up really close and spammed flame tongue, the staff could cast flametongue and grant dexterity and evasion.
Craziest Hamster

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 17th March 2011, 13:51

When you've got 3 pips worth of see invs, it should really just upgrade to laser eye beams.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th March 2011, 16:10

+1 to that idea.

Also, new monster: the STORM BRAIN. A giant floating brain that rains and shoots electric bolts.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 17th March 2011, 16:50

varkarrus wrote: can NETHACK HOLD A TORCH UP TO THE GLORY THAT IS STONE SOUP???

IMO... yes! I prefer DCSS, but Nethack is, while no longer the Roguelike state of the art, a great game.

If you really want lots of super added crazy, then you should definitely try SlashEM, which is a fork from mainstream 'vanilla' Nethack designed to cram in a whole bunch more extra crazy. It's noticeably harder than Nethack (which is already a very hard game) but it's a hell of a lot of fun!
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

For this message the author joellercoaster has received thanks:
Roderic

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th March 2011, 16:39

BAD BRAIN: a giant floating brain with dreadlocks that shoots concentrated sonic bolts of unprecedented fury

SHOE THROWER: a small humanoid who throws shoes at you. Low damage but high humiliation. Throws two shoes before getting arrested.

SHOE BOMBER: as above except shoes are explosive.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 20th March 2011, 07:24

The COMPLETELY UNFAIR BASTARD: An unseen horror that steals any items you have with SInv and holds a dagger and has skill 20 in stabbing. Travels in packs of 7 or more.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 22nd March 2011, 13:07

danr wrote:The COMPLETELY UNFAIR BASTARD: An unseen horror that steals any items you have with SInv and holds a dagger and has skill 20 in stabbing. Travels in packs of 7 or more.

A flying unseen horror, so you can't use the trick of luring it over shallow water to see its footprints.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 28th March 2011, 03:23

ORC POLICE: Orcs who are also police. They will make your life hard with their truncheons, manacles, and ability to suspend habeas corpus. Don't let them catch you with any "magic potions" on your person, if you know what I mean.

LEGO GOLEM: Just what it says.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2011, 17:22

SUCCUBI: They wield PADDLES to spank you with.
INCUBI: They WEAR LEATHER PANTS.

CHOCKO OATMEAL: It tastes like NOTHING

SCROLL OF DIGESTION: Using it turns all of the food in your inventory into OOZEY SUBSTANCE.
Eating it doesn't fill you up as much but provides REGENERATION!
"It's warm and slurry, but not actually that bad!"

SCROLL OF ANNOY GOD: Summons an ARMY OF DEMONS right into your god's pantheon, PISSING HIM/HER THE FUCK OFF.
Craziest Hamster

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 30th March 2011, 01:36

When playing as a paladin, you should be able to politely tap a sleeping enemy on the shoulder and challenge them to mortal combat, instead of wait forever for them to notice you or shout as loud as you can in order to avoid stabbing misconduct.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 30th March 2011, 04:26

This is a very reasonable idea and reminds me of something from Order of the Stick.

I wonder if you could poke someone on the back so that they notice you, but stab them before they turn around?

That way you could play as a holy assassin!
Craziest Hamster

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th March 2011, 05:11

New class: JESTER: Has variety of special melee attacks such as wedgies, wet willies, and the dreaded rear admiral.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 30th March 2011, 13:40

Player mummies should get death curses. I don't care if they won't have any effect on game play 99% of the time, I wanna see that thing that killed me get it's potions cursed.

(The 1% where death curses would affect game play would be games where Xom saves you from death).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st March 2011, 22:43

I've finally figured out the best way to improve Crawl's food system.

CONDIMENTS

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 31st March 2011, 23:19

Ever play Earthbound? All the healing items were food, and there were condiments. If a character ate something, and had condiments in inventory, they would randomly add one to the meal. Depending on the combination of ingredients, and on which party member was doing the eating, effects varied, wildly.

I could definitely see catchup, or a variety of sauces, improving chunks of raw meat. Even the spriggans could use some salad dressing, or parmesan cheese. XD

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st March 2011, 23:54

A bottle of Cholula could mitigate the sickness effect of bad chunks.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 09:23

New money type: euros. Each euro is worth about five gold pieces. Special shops exist where you can change gp for euros. Other special shops are findable, perhaps in Elf, where you can use euros to buy rare food items and fancy robes.

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 09:32

And, obviously, they weigh only 20% as much.

:P

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 10:44

Scroll of Fire Storm: Does exactly what the spell does. 1000-5000 gold each.

Holy Book of Okawaru/Sif Muna/Zin/etc: Allows you to maximize the effect of any abilities given by your god. Degrades by use, like Manuals.

Durian: The king of all fruits. Monsters will not disturb you when you're eating it.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 15:29

CHOKO GOLEM: It CHOKOS you to DEATH!
MEGAMEGABAT: A GIANT FRUIT BAT. It EATS FRUIT.
DIRE LOBSTER: Very vicious, high AC. Not very fast.
DIRE FRIAR: AKA RABID MONK.
MONKEY KING: Vicious monkeys that will KUNG FU you to DEATH, and have various abilities like BECOMING HUGE or RIDING ON CLOUDS. Occasionally wield RODS OF REACH.
TWO BACKED BEAST: Sneak attacks HIT TWICE.
RED GOLEM: It's a GOLEM made of RED.
Craziest Hamster

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 02:28

These are balanced, well thought out suggestions.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
shnurlf

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th April 2011, 04:55

MOD WOLVES: Wolves that are also Mods.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 7th April 2011, 10:30

In that they ride Vespas? Or that they quietly edit your spellbooks to not contain offensive spells?

For this message the author joellercoaster has received thanks: 2
danr, RFHolloway

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 7th April 2011, 12:07

They counterattack by massively nerfing whatever you try to attack them with. Because of this they cannot be killed by normal means- however, they can be destroyed by exploiting unintentional glitches and loopholes introduced by their own sloppy coding. Upon the modder's death, your version of crawl reverts the changes, which means, effectively, the modder never existed. It's the metagaming code equivalent of being eaten by a time paradox. :lol:

For this message the author mageykun has received thanks:
danr
Next

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner