get spelunky

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 16:04

get spelunky

http://spelunkyworld.com/

get spelunky hd its on pc and xbox! dont buy an xbox though gust get a pc and download spelunky hd and pay for it
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 16:08

Re: get spelunky

Try out the free version if you want an idea of the game:
http://spelunkyworld.com/original.html

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 16:09

i played that version with a controller! now the hd version makes you use an xbox controller! so now im so good with the keyboard i dont even use the controller on the original edition! thats what sucks xbox controller only or no controller or use a controller emulator if you can freakin figure it out, i cant,
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 18:08

A controller emulator?
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 18:54

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:A controller emulator?

I would assume it is an emulator for an xbox 360 controller. A lot of PC games are compatible with an xbox 360 controller but will not function with other usb controllers. I could never figure out how to get one to work though.

You can also try a program called Joy2Key. It will map keyboard keys to a usb controller's buttons. I've gotten that to work, and it does well for a lot of games.
Wir saufen, und wir sind noch da!

For this message the author Abominae has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 5th January 2014, 04:55

get spelunky: pcgamer2013 game of the year

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 5th January 2014, 05:28

Waiting for a mac port...
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 6th January 2014, 22:24

Risk of Rain has soured spelunky for me somewhat. I like the faster pace.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 7th January 2014, 15:59

the two have nothing in common except maybe, jumping?

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 7th January 2014, 21:10

And generally being action roguelikes?

zrn

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 7th January 2014, 21:14

njvack wrote:And generally being action roguelikes?

Risk of rain is a roguelike just about as much as chess is a roguelike. Actually chess is significantly more like rogue than RoR, that was a bad analogy. My thoughts on spelunky hd: it's really really good. Has anyone played the la-mulana remake?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 7th January 2014, 21:38

Yeah. La Mulana is definitely not a roguelike but the exploration aspect is pretty cool. I think you shouldn't be afraid to ask for a hint from someone if you're really stuck though, some of the puzzles are still dumb even in the remake.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 7th January 2014, 21:44

zrn wrote:Risk of rain is a roguelike just about as much as chess is a roguelike.

Doesn't it have dynamic level gen and permadeath?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 7th January 2014, 22:18

There were two things that made the original La-Mulana so memorable to me. First, its commitment to actually feeling like an MSX game. Most "retro" games just have someone draw terrible graphics with big pixels, which does little or nothing to evoke feelings of nostalgia from me. La-Mulana on the other hand actually puts a lot of effort into plausibly imitating the technical restrictions of an older system while still giving the best gameplay and presentation possible (this screenshot has a total of 13 colours, and La-Mulana has some of the most memorable music I've ever heard in a game). It's easily the biggest nostalgia trip I've ever gotten from a video game made after 2000. Yes, a bigger one than Cave Story.

Second, and I'd prefer you don't open this spoiler unless you've already played through most of the game or are absolutely confident that you never will:
Spoiler: show
The way the game reveals itself to you. When you first start the game it seems like there are only a few areas and that they are mostly self-contained. Then when you think you're maybe 30-50% done with the game, you suddenly find out that it's both twice as big as you thought and much more intricate.

The remake ditches the first point entirely and looks and sounds like any other 2D game on the Wii. So I think the original is a much more unique experience, and I'd recommend anyone interested in the remake play the original first.

As for the differences in the general gameplay and puzzles between the two versions, I don't think I have a preference either way. It seemed like for every obtuse puzzle that the remake got rid of, a new, equally obtuse one was added somewhere else in the game, so the overall quality is about the same.

And no, La-Mulana isn't a roguelike, but Spelunky's author specifically cited it as a big inspiration, so it's not completely off-topic!

njvack wrote:Doesn't it have dynamic level gen and permadeath?
Chess has permadeath
Last edited by duvessa on Tuesday, 7th January 2014, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 7th January 2014, 22:56

I'm one of those crazy dudes who thinks FTL and Diablo (in Hardcore) are both roguelikes. But I also call myself a car when I'm wearing a steering wheel on my dick. I mean, I honk, so...

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 7th January 2014, 23:04

njvack wrote:
zrn wrote:Risk of rain is a roguelike just about as much as chess is a roguelike.

Doesn't it have dynamic level gen and permadeath?

Permadeath doesn't make a game a roguelike bu itself, otherwise all my NES collection except zelda would be a roguelike...

Procedural or randomized By itself doesn't make it any more roguelike, otherwise minecraft would be a pretty good one.

But no ones agree on the defenition of a roguelike9-like) anyway.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 7th January 2014, 23:13

njvack wrote:I'm one of those crazy dudes who thinks FTL and Diablo (in Hardcore) are both roguelikes.

They are classified that way, they just aren't 'traditional roguelikes'.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 7th January 2014, 23:41

FTL's official site makes a point of only calling it a "roguelike-like," for what it's worth.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 7th January 2014, 23:49

Someday, I'm gonna make a roguelike-like-like.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 8th January 2014, 14:56

Similarities:

0. 2D action platformer
1. Permadeath
2. Semi-randomized levels based around a few core layouts and themes
3. Success based in part by skill and in part by which items you get.
4. Clock that keeps the game well paced.

(Joke ones)
5. Flying enemies are annoying.
6. Boss jumps around a lot
7. The permahealth gaining items are fantastic.
8. Probs things I'm forgetting.

Differences:

0. RoR is more frantic, due to the linear clock rather than the discrete per-level clock, and due to the number of enemies.
1. RoR is more forgiving of small mistakes.
2. Spelunky is more calculating/planning oriented.
3. Spelunky has mining in it.

Overall, I think they have a lot of similar components, and fans of both roguelikes and action platformers should try both, but the gaming experience is very different as is the mechanical skillset. I prefer the faster pace and more forgiving nature of RoR personally.

PS- God I dislike FTL.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 8th January 2014, 16:38

lets not forget the biggest difference: you can just walk through/run through enemies or drop thousands of feet in rain with little consequence compared to spelunky. in other words, nothing alike

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 8th January 2014, 19:45

TeshiAlair wrote:PS- God I dislike FTL.

I hate to tell you, but your opinion is wrong :)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 8th January 2014, 20:09

I'd probably have really liked FTL if it wasn't for

1. Unless I'm a moron, the final boss is nigh impossible without certain weapons. I've breezed through the entire game with my eyes closed, and then gotten instagibbed by the boss.
2. Enemy invasions screeching the pace down to a halt and initiating micromanagment mode.

@Twelwe: Massive improvements :p

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 8th January 2014, 22:28

The final boss is pretty bad, I'll agree. It's more that there are certain (cheesy) tactics that make it easy, but if you don't do those things it's basically impossible. And for a game based so much on randomness to have a fixed boss battle was just kind of unsatisfying.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 8th January 2014, 22:53

Here's what you gotta do to beat the final boss. Step 1: Get a teleporter. Step 2: Get 2 mantis. Step 3: TP mantis into the artillery rooms and disable them. Step 4: Profit.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 01:09

If you have a teleporter (with a few people to send through it), a cloak and virtually any weapon that does hull damage the last boss is beatable. It's usually beatable without teleporting, but that should be your backup plan in case you don't find any good weapons.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 14:44

Leafsnail wrote:If you have a teleporter (with a few people to send through it), a cloak and virtually any weapon that does hull damage the last boss is beatable. It's usually beatable without teleporting, but that should be your backup plan in case you don't find any good weapons.

All I did to beat it was use a missile launcher to get through the shields, and then 2 lasery weapons and a beam weapon. Teleported to permanently disable the artillery, then kept the shields and drones down while I whittled the health away. The ship I'd recommend for beating it the first time would be the fed cruiser A, but I beat it with the zoltan B

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner