Trans-Pacific Partnership - or how I lost my democracy

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 29th August 2013, 00:40

Trans-Pacific Partnership - or how I lost my democracy

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/council-canadians/2013/08/trans-pacific-partnership-canadian-groups-demand-end-to-sec

I just read this article and a few others on the subject of this partnership. Apparently it'd involve the US, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Australia and other Pacific countries. If you take the time to read some of this, you can see just how freaking absurd this is! The article is more about Canada than anything else, but I encourage all of you to read it. And I quote:

The Council of Canadians and Common Frontiers point out that only two of the 26 chapters relate to trade as most people understand it. The other chapters involve restrictions on government's ability to make health policy, the criminalization of everyday uses of the Internet, new limits on access to affordable medicines, prohibiting 'buy local' policies (e.g. local food), encouraging privatization, discouraging the creation of Crown corporations or new public utilities, and empowering corporations to sue governments before private tribunals outside the court system when they're unhappy with environmental or other measures that lower profits.

It'd empower corporations to sue governments if they don't make enough money! Something's wrong here. I know this doesn't fit into the Dungeon Crawl theme, but I really urge you all to learn about this. :cry:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 29th August 2013, 03:01

Re: Trans-Pacific Partnership - or how I lost my democracy

I'm putting a temporary lock on this in order to have a quiet word with OP.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner