Proposal: The raw flesh tastes terrible!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 27th July 2013, 18:17

Proposal: The raw flesh tastes terrible!

One minor thing that bugs me about Crawl and other roguelikes is "The raw flesh tastes terrible!" message. There's nothing bad about eating raw flesh in the game, in fact you basically have to do it. Why constantly generate a message that makes you feel like you're doing something wrong?

What if we had a more pleasant message? "You choke down the raw flesh" or something like that.

For this message the author rosstin has received thanks: 2
CykusX, XuaXua

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 27th July 2013, 18:28

Re: Proposal: The raw flesh tastes terrible!

I think this is flavour and non controversial minor detail. I would submit the change to mantis, I don't think it needs much discussion.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 27th July 2013, 18:51

Agreed, perhaps something even more neutral like "You eat the <chunk>"

While eating raw flesh seems awful to most non-crawl-adventurer-humans. Apparently in the crawl world, there's no such thing as cooking, so obviously raw flesh is just what everyone does (Except of course for rations, which are some kind of mysterious prepared food item)

Eating raw flesh in crawl is apparently just normal. ;)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 27th July 2013, 19:25

Siegurt wrote:there's no such thing as cooking

until the secret chef background pops up in 0.13 :P
Spoiler: show

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 28th July 2013, 04:44

Worth noting that the flavor message can help you tell if your Gourmand amulet has kicked in or not and how far along it is. It's not a major deal, but it's nice to know that the chunks I'm eating aren't doing any good at the moment rather than get a "You eat a chunk", which tells me nothing.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 28th July 2013, 05:03

TwilightPhoenix wrote:Worth noting that the flavor message can help you tell if your Gourmand amulet has kicked in or not and how far along it is. It's not a major deal, but it's nice to know that the chunks I'm eating aren't doing any good at the moment rather than get a "You eat a chunk", which tells me nothing.

I agree that that's important, but we can shift the tone of the messages to still be informative, just not tell you that everything you eat ever tastes terrible.

Like:
"You choke down the chunk."
"The raw flesh tastes okay."
"The raw flesh tastes good."
"The raw flesh is delicious!"

etc. Similar to now, but the base level is not "terrible".

Brown chunks can taste terrible, that makes some sense. White chunks should taste okay.

For this message the author rosstin has received thanks:
XuaXua

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 28th July 2013, 06:42

Why would anyone eat raw flesh anyway?.. At least humans wouldn't readily eat raw flesh and would try to use something like conjure flame first.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 28th July 2013, 12:06

I completely agree, the message makes it sound as though there's some sort of penalty attached to it. However, 'choke down' sounds equally as negative as 'the raw flesh tastes terrible' - possibly more so in fact.

I would change it too: "The raw flesh is just edible." - it certainly makes it sound unappealing, but it doesn't make it sound as though it's harmful in any way.
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 28th July 2013, 12:51

It tastes terrible because it's raw flesh and you don't have gorumand/mutations that makes you like eating it. This is also why you can't eat it until you reach "hungry" status. It's also kind of a tradition for food to just taste awful, going back to Rogue.

This message isn't even a minor problem, it's a complete non-issue.

For this message the author evilmike has received thanks:
rebthor

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 28th July 2013, 15:20

rosstin wrote:Brown chunks can taste terrible, that makes some sense. White chunks should taste okay.

Considering nausea removal, it's thing pretty rational thing to do in many cases for like any character. Sounds not terrible at all.

evilmike wrote:This message isn't even a minor problem, it's a complete non-issue.

Callin' not terrible at all thing a terrible isn't big problem, of course. But not very clear design.
There are some noobs, ya know. Some of them even don't play games a lot and as result they are not metagamey types.
And when they read "meat is terrible", they see "meat is terrible", not "your gourmand didn't kick in" or "tradition".
What would be fun is a God who uses piety like a fighting game style super meter. Piety decays rapidly outside of combat, builds up during fights, spend it for secret techniques and super moves.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 28th July 2013, 15:54

WildSam wrote:
rosstin wrote:Brown chunks can taste terrible, that makes some sense. White chunks should taste okay.

Considering nausea removal, it's thing pretty rational thing to do in many cases for like any character. Sounds not terrible at all.

evilmike wrote:This message isn't even a minor problem, it's a complete non-issue.

Callin' not terrible at all thing a terrible isn't big problem, of course. But not very clear design.
There are some noobs, ya know. Some of them even don't play games a lot and as result they are not metagamey types.
And when they read "meat is terrible", they see "meat is terrible", not "your gourmand didn't kick in" or "tradition".

Honestly, I feel like if a player can't figure out the syllogism "it says the meat tastes terrible but since it disappeared from my inventory and I'm not Hungry anymore I must have choked it down anyway" then perhaps Crawl is not for them. (Nobody complains that the snozzcumber message says they taste putrid.)

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 28th July 2013, 16:38

There's also the issue of rewarding the player for doing an action that is correct. As it is, every time a player eats a white chunk, they see that message, and they feel a little bad. It's a weird sort of negative enforcement. I've been playing roguelikes for over ten years and I still feel "aw..." when I read that message. Sometimes I play a Kobold just so the message becomes "The raw flesh tastes great," and I can get a little boost instead of feeling bummed.

The players should feel good when they eat white chunks. They successfully got non-permafood while their avatar was hungry. It's a small victory; one of the simple pleasures of playing Crawl.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 28th July 2013, 17:05

rosstin wrote:There's also the issue of rewarding the player for doing an action that is correct.

Such reward already exists. You had "Hungry" status, after eating you do not have it anymore. The message it conveys is pretty clear and comprehensible imo.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 28th July 2013, 17:44

"The chunk of meat fills part of your empty belly." "The chunk of meat makes you less hungry." "The chunk of meat chases the horrible hunger away for a time."

For gourmands,
"The delicious chunk of meat pushes your hunger away."

For herbivores:
"The nasty chunk meat does a little to push the hunger out of your mind"

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 29th July 2013, 00:49

Suggestions:
"Being hungry helps you choke down the raw flesh."
"Hunger makes the raw flesh palatable."
"Hunger makes the raw flesh edible."

Honestly, the first time I played Crawl I was convinced that there was a way to prepare monster flesh to make it taste better. I really thought that's what the message was telling me. Like, in Nethack, raw flesh tastes terrible, but you can get a tinning kit to preserve it and make it edible. I was pretty surprised when I discovered that something like that wasn't possible in Crawl.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th July 2013, 03:43

As I have noted before in at least two prior instances of this thread, "raw" implies it can be made "not raw" and "terrible" implies it can be made not terrible.

Use a neutral verbage for all / general. Leave out both adjectives.
Activated Gourmand or Carnivore get a "delicious" message.
Herbivore gets a "terrible" message.
Replace "raw flesh" with "meat chunk".
Last edited by XuaXua on Monday, 29th July 2013, 13:51, edited 4 times in total.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, jejorda2, pratamawirya, rosstin

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 29th July 2013, 11:41

Well, eating a chunk of rat or worm flesh, I would be VERY surprised if it doesn't taste terrible. :D
You slash the rat with your +7 +5 cursed slightly rusted very sharp meteoric steel demonic flaming triple sword of speed and pain covered with various bloods and vomit. The rat is not hurt.
The rat bites you.
You die…

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th July 2013, 13:49

Wrong because it has come up more than twice.
It is misleading to new players, and if usability trials were still being done, I'm sure it'd get flagged.
If the intent is to imply a lack of nutrition compared to other foods, note it in the item description, not in every single message.
Last edited by XuaXua on Monday, 29th July 2013, 14:02, edited 2 times in total.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 29th July 2013, 14:01

It would be cool to get something like "The raw flesh tastes terrible! You vomit!". And you loose your satiation level a bit. JK. Would be nice if they would cook it if they are not carnivore, just for flavour and making sense.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th July 2013, 14:05

If you want to stop having to tell people that cooking is on the "won't do" list, remove or replace the word "raw".

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
rosstin

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 29th July 2013, 14:11

I mean... you could get a message "You cook the meat" (or something) without implementing anything complicated.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th July 2013, 18:00

Amnesiac wrote:I mean... you could get a message "You cook the meat" (or something) without implementing anything complicated.

From what I understand, thd point of the meat chunk is to provide
1) some fast semi-nutritional award for some monsters
2) a spell component (simulacrum/necromancy mp spell)
3) visual entertainment (disintegration/inner flame)

Cooking, even providing the message of doing so, implies time is taken, time which is not subtracted from game time. No cooking. Revise the message so the need for cooking is not implied.

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks: 2
khalil, rosstin

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 29th July 2013, 19:18

Personally, I never put much thought into the "raw flesh tastes terrible" line. Rather I wound up avoiding chunks when I could before I figured out brown made me sick (this was pre-nausea) and green poisoned me. Although back before I knew Gourmand was a thing and was wearing an unIDed amulet of it, I thought Demonspawn just liked raw meat rather than I was wearing Gourmand. Until I IDed it and was like "...oh, okay."
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 29th July 2013, 20:12

I don't care a bit about this message, too. But since it bothers somebody, I guess it might be a good idea to change something, so everybody is happy with the game. But I think if we let people vote. It'll turn out that 90% desn't care, 8% would say "leave it as it is, because it's a traditional thing" and 2% would say "blegh, I can't stand the thought of eating raw flesh"

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 29th July 2013, 23:40

I like how it drives home the point that the dungeon of Zot is a really shitty place.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks: 3
Grimm, prozacelf, Volteccer_Jack

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 30th July 2013, 00:55

OK friends, this thread has even less content than the humans thread, and yet it's refused to die and is in danger of spawning a poll. We're headed to CYC-land.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th July 2013, 01:08

Other than a couple of the offtopic posts, I don't see where this isn't anything but a request to rephrase the meat chunk eating messages. IMHO, it doesn't belong in CYC.

rosstin

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 30th July 2013, 01:11

This was a serious proposal... *shrug*

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th July 2013, 02:24

rosstin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th July 2013, 04:54

rosstin wrote:This was a serious proposal... *shrug*

It has been discussed before, and, as in this thread, rejected by devs. So there's not much life in the notion.

nicolae wrote:(Nobody complains that the snozzcumber message says they taste putrid.)

That's because snozzcumbers really do taste putrid.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 30th July 2013, 05:03

Where do you buy *your* snozzcumbers, Grimm?

Although to be fair I guess something redolent of rotten fish qualifies as putrid.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 30th July 2013, 05:53

Wouldn't that mean Octopodes find the taste of snozzcumber to be tasty? I mean they ARE primarily fish-eaters...
--Schwa, your local muse forever and long-time High Elf fangirl ^_~
(also the master of Quadri-Birds)

TheProvocateur: I like how we're sprinting at a pile of greater mummies

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th July 2013, 07:16

prozacelf wrote:Where do you buy *your* snozzcumbers, Grimm?

Nairobi. Doesn't everybody?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 30th July 2013, 08:16

if (chunk_num = 1)
eat.chunk.msg = "This raw flesh tastes terrible! You look back longingly the way you came, foul blood sticking to your lips, wondering if it was a wise decision to enter this accursed place. The darkness is almost suffocating, the sunlight outside but a shadow of a memory. Already you feel as if you cannot remember the touch of the wind on your cheek, the taste of bread, or even... your own name... Dejected, you turn back to the darkness, hoping the ring or the orb or whatever is worth the terrible price you have paid."

else
eat.chunk.msg = "This raw flesh tastes terrible!"

endif

Of course, if you are a kobold, it should just say something along the lines of "Goblin sushi! Delicious!"

For this message the author daggaz has received thanks: 2
khalil, rosstin

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 30th July 2013, 15:55

This thread tastes terrible. You feel sick.

Thanks for bringing back Nausea.
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th July 2013, 17:08

Closed already!

Moved to Dev Wiki.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 23rd August 2013, 05:28

What if there's chunks specific to each species that they find delicious, and possibly get slightly more nutrition out of? Big fish, giant goldfish and rats for felids, hogs and sheep for humans, hound for orcs, kobold for nagas, human and elf for ogres, giant eyeballs and worms for tengu, etc.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 23rd August 2013, 06:28

Grimm wrote:
rosstin wrote:This was a serious proposal... *shrug*

It has been discussed before, and, as in this thread, rejected by devs. So there's not much life in the notion.

nicolae wrote:(Nobody complains that the snozzcumber message says they taste putrid.)

That's because snozzcumbers really do taste putrid.

XuaXua wrote:

Closed already!

Moved to Dev Wiki.

Team Impy wrote:What if there's chunks specific to each species that they find delicious, and possibly get slightly more nutrition out of? Big fish, giant goldfish and rats for felids, hogs and sheep for humans, hound for orcs, kobold for nagas, human and elf for ogres, giant eyeballs and worms for tengu, etc.

My sides hurt from laughing so hard.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner