Forest or Crypt?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Forest or Crypt : Which do you like best?

Enchanted Forest
46%
Crypt (re-hashed version)
54%

Total votes : 13

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 25th July 2013, 03:59

Forest or Crypt?

Which is your favorite, the new Enchanted Forest branch, or the re-hashed Crypt? And explain why. Let's have a good ol' discussion!

I think the new Forest branch has some really cool and creative tricks and traps (my new favorite catchphrase during Forest is "NO NO NOT THE WOLVES NOT THE WOLVES OH GOD MY EYESSS AAAAAA" and I get some weird looks by people in Starbucks) but I think the new Crypt is just awesome. Phantasmal Warriors and their shield-ignoring, armour-ignoring, MR-rending ghostly attacks were JUST THE THING to make those enemies totally opposite of their previous bland selves; Lost Souls are VERY sneaky new enemies and I also love how Deep Elf Death Mages now summon them regularly, and in general the way the Draining attacks were re-worked was absolutely PERFECT.

For me, New Crypt wins my vote, but both branches are very very awesome and I give my +2 Hat of Respect {Respect+++} to the devs and players involved in their upbringing. :)

Also, WATER NYMPHS ARE SO SWEET .///. YOU COULD NOT EVEN IMAGINE MY SHEER DELIGHT WHEN I FIRST SAW ONE
--Schwa, your local muse forever and long-time High Elf fangirl ^_~
(also the master of Quadri-Birds)

TheProvocateur: I like how we're sprinting at a pile of greater mummies

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 25th July 2013, 05:05

Re: Forest or Crypt?

You remove your +2 Hat of Respect {Respect+++}. You feel less respect for the developers of the game.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 25th July 2013, 05:50

Water nymphs and thorn lotuses look delicious(more than psyche).
But why lotuses had to launch thorns? I felt developers wanted to attack players by any means possible. :|

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 25th July 2013, 05:52

And what's the deal with all those minotaurs... I kinda thought that it's a unique or a similar thing. What are they doing in the forest, anyway?

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 25th July 2013, 07:32

Amnesiac wrote:And what's the deal with all those minotaurs... I kinda thought that it's a unique or a similar thing. What are they doing in the forest, anyway?
Minotaurs are a player race. They aren't really meant to be unique, it's just that they didn't really spawn outside Labyrinths. DracoOmega noticed the forest lacked a monster with good AC defenses when he was adding all the water monsters so he added Minotaurs to the spawn list. He mentioned when he added them they might go away if somebody came up with something better.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 25th July 2013, 09:21

sizz wrote:I felt developers wanted to attack players by any means possible. :|

Welcome to Crawl.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 25th July 2013, 09:26

Grimm wrote:
sizz wrote:I felt developers wanted to attack players by any means possible. :|

Welcome to Crawl.

If you are a dev then in Soviet Crawl the players attack YOU. Wait, no, that's the GDD section.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 25th July 2013, 09:43

I voted for new crypt because I've heard it's better than the old one. Even old crypt > forest. Too much gimmicks at the moment (player status effects, "intelligent (annoying) monsters etc.)

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 25th July 2013, 10:39

Mankeli wrote: gimmicks at the moment (player status effects, "intelligent (annoying) monsters etc.)

New Crypt is also like this :D
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 25th July 2013, 10:43

joellercoaster wrote:
Mankeli wrote: gimmicks at the moment (player status effects, "intelligent (annoying) monsters etc.)

New Crypt is also like this :D

Fuck. :D

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 25th July 2013, 13:12

I have yet to play newcrypt, but my main complaint with Forest is all the things that summon but aren't really dangerous. Spirit wolves, elemental wellsprings, spirit wolves, ents, spirit wolves, etc. Also, someone thought it was a good idea to take a rock worm and give it spells.

P.S. Spirit wolves can DIAF

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 25th July 2013, 14:16

reaver wrote:Minotaurs are a player race.

No way.
reaver wrote:They aren't really meant to be unique, it's just that they didn't really spawn outside Labyrinths. DracoOmega noticed the forest lacked a monster with good AC defenses when he was adding all the water monsters so he added Minotaurs to the spawn list. He mentioned when he added them they might go away if somebody came up with something better.

I can understand one minotaur going on an adventure(player's case)... But not a throng of minotaurs playing with nymphs in a forest.
Last edited by Amnesiac on Friday, 26th July 2013, 10:00, edited 2 times in total.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 25th July 2013, 15:07

I hate forest because of the spirit wolves. I hate summoners, and I really hate summoners that continue summoning things once I killed them.
Plus, it's really easy to beat forest if you bring fireball. The only downside is it becomes really boring.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 26th July 2013, 00:35

Amnesiac wrote:I can understand one minotaur going on an adventure(player's case)... But not a throng on minotaurs playing with nymphs in a forest.

At first I mis-read that as "a thong-minotaur playing with nymphs in a forest".

Mental images.
--Schwa, your local muse forever and long-time High Elf fangirl ^_~
(also the master of Quadri-Birds)

TheProvocateur: I like how we're sprinting at a pile of greater mummies

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 26th July 2013, 02:37

khalil wrote:I hate forest because of the spirit wolves. I hate summoners, and I really hate summoners that continue summoning things once I killed them.
Plus, it's really easy to beat forest if you bring fireball. The only downside is it becomes really boring.

Well, you can do it with Bolt of Magma too...
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 26th July 2013, 03:38

I like Forest because it is very different from Vaults/D20+.

Almost every Forest monster has a unique way of being a real obstacle without just being some manner of ugly brick with a ranged attack, and the way the terrain is used against you makes different tactics a necessity, depending on enemy type and location on the map.

New Crypt is a vast improvement over old, but it doesn't make me reevaluate my tactics on anywhere near the same level as Forest does.
Spoiler: show
Psst, hey kid... you like roguelikes?

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 26th July 2013, 13:14

wizzzargh wrote:I like Forest because it is very different from Vaults/D20+.

Almost every Forest monster has a unique way of being a real obstacle without just being some manner of ugly brick with a ranged attack, and the way the terrain is used against you makes different tactics a necessity, depending on enemy type and location on the map.

New Crypt is a vast improvement over old, but it doesn't make me reevaluate my tactics on anywhere near the same level as Forest does.

Are we playing the same game? When I went through forest I just did this over and over:
Throw fireball, burn trees.
If attacked, throw more fireballs.
If attacked by great bear, throw iron shot.
Same thing I did when the spriggans were a lair end vault.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 27th July 2013, 01:02

khalil wrote:Are we playing the same game? When I went through forest I just did this over and over:
Throw fireball, burn trees.
If attacked, throw more fireballs.
If attacked by great bear, throw iron shot.
Same thing I did when the spriggans were a lair end vault.

Well, my character build was entirely different from yours, so in a way, we weren't playing the same game. My Orb of Destruction wouldn't work in certain areas, Ball Lightning is situational, my Melee viability depended on enemy weapon brands, flying to avoid Nymph water made me vulnerable to Air Mages, Spirit Wolves hit me pretty hard and were difficult to escape from when they showed up in bad situations... I reacted differently to a lot of things, because I didn't have your advantage of a reliable, hard-hitting area of effect that also deformed terrain (And if you were with Vehumet, I bet you had a lot more MP than I did!) Fire is definitely super-effective in Forest- I imagine you might have a much different experience with a different character type.

Though I must say, your post is one of the reasons I don't like pure Fire Elementalists/Conjurors, since presumably "Fireball+Iron Shot" was what you did in most places besides Forest as well.
Spoiler: show
Psst, hey kid... you like roguelikes?

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 27th July 2013, 23:35

@wizzzargh
Actually, I was a necromancer. I worshiped ash so by the end of the game I had Tornado, Ice cloud, Fire storm, and Iron shot online.
Most places I threw zombies at the enemy and threw bolt of draining through the zombies. (Ended up having to forget those in the endgame because everyone and their mother had rN and didn't drop corpses by that point.)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 29th July 2013, 10:51

If you burn the forest down with fireball, dont you lose out on all those scrolls of fear and amnesia?? :shock:

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 29th July 2013, 13:52

Where's the neither option? For the record, I seldom did old crypts either.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 30th July 2013, 06:45

daggaz wrote:If you burn the forest down with fireball, dont you lose out on all those scrolls of fear and amnesia?? :shock:

Don't think so. I found plenty of scrolls.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 30th July 2013, 13:44

Old crypts.
kekekela is my in-game name

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner