Rogue Legacy

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 12th July 2013, 02:37

Rogue Legacy

... anyone played it?

Watching the trailer makes the awesome alarm go off in my head. Is it going off for real reasons or is it punking me?

EDIT: Because google is like more clicks: http://www.roguelegacy.com/
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 12th July 2013, 03:37

Re: Rogue Legacy

My impressions:

It is a very fun game.

Inevitable comparisons to BoI will happen, and it's not quite as deep/life consuming as that game. Subsequent playthroughs lose their luster somewhat, the omg-must-unlock-cool-things drive turns into a grind-for-stat-points thing at some point. NG+ is quite similar to NG++ is quite similar to NG+++++.

Still, easily worth whatever they charged me for it, and it would be cool if they added some more content to it eventually.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 12th July 2013, 10:59

I played it, it's fun for a few hours, but too grindy and I don't plan on playing it again.

Don't go into this thinking the game is a roguelike. There is no character progression when you're actually playing. You only level up at the very start, by spending the gold you found on your previous run. Every upgrade you buy is permanent for all future characters, and if you kill a boss, it stays dead on future characters. So it's not really permadeath in the roguelike sense, because there's no sense of permanent failure.

To be fair the developers don't call it a roguelike, but I've seen reviews do this, and I think it's misleading. Get this game if you like castlevania-style platformers, but don't get it if you are looking for actual roguelike gameplay (if you want a platformer with that, play spelunky).

For this message the author evilmike has received thanks: 2
MIC132, rebthor

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 14th July 2013, 01:08

evilmike wrote:Don't go into this thinking the game is a roguelike.

It might be a better idea to use the Roguelike Radio term - the game is a Rogue-like-like.

Watched Captnduck recently stream some Rogue Legacy. I didn't think much of the game myself, other then it being a brainless platformer that nips at permadeath without delving too deeply into it to upset the masses of non-Rogue-like Players (IE, eventually after multiple playthroughs you have something to show for all your deaths).
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Eringya's Employee

Post Sunday, 14th July 2013, 14:54

yogaFLAME wrote:Inevitable comparisons to BoI will happen

BoI being...?
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 14th July 2013, 17:21

Binding of Isaac.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 14th July 2013, 21:24

It might be a better idea to use the Roguelike Radio term - the game is a Rogue-like-like.

Isn't a Roguelikelike some kind of jelly that eats your shield and plays only by its own rules ?

For this message the author A spy has received thanks: 2
blackcustard, Tiber

Barkeep

Post Monday, 15th July 2013, 13:14

Yeah, I did get a vaguely Issac vibe around it, though it's a "rogue-flavored metroidvania" rather than a "rogue-flavored action adventure." I did love me some Isaac, though, so I'll probably pick up a copy when the Mac port comes out...
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 16th July 2013, 08:02

Having played it quite a lot (~20 hrs), I find it fundamentally different from Isaac though.

In Isaac, you unlock the possibility for a wider array of items to appear in any given run, making the game more and more random and challenging.

In Rogue Legacy you permanently upgrade your base stats/unlock new abilities between runs, making the game easier and easier (although with a big difficulty spike the first two times you finish the game), the bosses you killed stay dead, and there is no substantial character progression within a given run (the character you enter the castle with is more or less set, you can maybe swap out your spell for another one if you're lucky). The controls are tight and the action-platformer gameplay is fun enough, just don't go in expecting a Roguelike (or indeed a Rogue Likelike, a la Spelunky/Isaac/FTL/etc...) experience.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner