Three most boring things in Crawl?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 26th June 2013, 16:59

Re: Three most boring things in Crawl?

rebthor wrote:
Laraso wrote:
DeathKnyte wrote:So Zap, Zap, Zap, Zap that jelly!

I find that wands of polymorph are your best friend for characters who have no other means of dealing with jellies. Fighting an early giant frog or a killer bee is much more desirable than fighting a jelly and suffering corrosion.

Yes because it's so easy to run from frogs and killer bees, unlike jellies.

I never said anything about running... A frog is simply more desirable than a jelly for a melee character, because it doesn't corrode your equipment. Or maybe everything I know is a lie, and it's actually more desirable to fight a jelly than a frog in melee. Who knows.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th June 2013, 17:03

Your base assumption--that you must fight every monster you encounter--is flawed.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 26th June 2013, 17:19

Laraso wrote:I find that wands of polymorph are your best friend for characters who have no other means of dealing with jellies.

Nagas and Chei followers are the only characters who have no other means of dealing with jellies. Just. Walk. Away.

Yes, if it's important that you deal with a jelly NOW, by all means poly it. But I'd be powerful sad to have used my Poly charges on a jelly and then meet Sonja.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 26th June 2013, 18:13

BlackSheep wrote:Your base assumption--that you must fight every monster you encounter--is flawed.

njvack wrote:Nagas and Chei followers are the only characters who have no other means of dealing with jellies. Just. Walk. Away.

Yes, if it's important that you deal with a jelly NOW, by all means poly it. But I'd be powerful sad to have used my Poly charges on a jelly and then meet Sonja.

I always try to make an effort to kill jellies if I can, because I don't want them to eat any items. If I don't have anything I could use to fight a jelly, then yes, I'll walk away. However, if I run into one while carrying a wand of polymorph, I'd rather use it on them and then kill whatever they turn into than walk away and let it roam about and eat something I could have potentially used.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th June 2013, 18:44

You know what's worse than missing out on some theoretical item? Dying to a killer bee that you can't escape.

Honestly, 99% of stuff on the floor is crap. The idea that every "slurping noise" is your boots of running being eaten by a jelly is crap.

By the same token, getting -1 to one or two pieces of equipment is not going to end your game.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 26th June 2013, 18:52

BlackSheep wrote:You know what's worse than missing out on some theoretical item? Dying to a killer bee that you can't escape.

Honestly, 99% of stuff on the floor is crap. The idea that every "slurping noise" is your boots of running being eaten by a jelly is crap.

By the same token, getting -1 to one or two pieces of equipment is not going to end your game.

I really don't see what the problem is. If my character is strong enough to kill a frog or bee, but lacks any means to kill a jelly without suffering from corrosion, why is it such a bad thing to polymorph the jelly?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 26th June 2013, 19:00

BlackSheep
Counsellor
Have thanks: 420 times

...token...

Hmmm
kekekela is my in-game name

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th June 2013, 19:03

Laraso wrote:I really don't see what the problem is. If my character is strong enough to kill a frog or bee, but lacks any means to kill a jelly without suffering from corrosion, why is it such a bad thing to polymorph the jelly?

Under that assumption, it's not. The assumption that you're strong enough to kill a pack of killer bees but not handle a jelly is frequently not true. Killer bees are fast, and if you can't get into a corridor, quite likely to kill off your character.

I personally don't really use polymorph that frequently except for jellies, I've never been that worried about running out, but it does have good uses against other threats.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th June 2013, 19:06

Laraso wrote:Fighting an early giant frog or a killer bee is much more desirable than fighting a jelly and suffering corrosion.
I can't remember the last time I felt threatened by a giant frog, but a killer bee is speed 20, does 10 damage and poisons. I'd much rather polymorph an early killer bee than a jelly because the bee might actually end my game. If I'm in a situation where I could easily handle the bee, I'm also in a situation where I could easily handle the jelly.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 26th June 2013, 19:37

Listen guys, this thread is in Crazy Yiuf's Corner forum, not in Dungeon Crawling Advice forum.
What I said about a wand of random effects and jellies, was more 'tongue in cheek' than anything else.
I'm sorry that my post started this squabbling...

Let's keep it light.
:)

Else Grimm might come by and bust the party.
:cry:

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 29th June 2013, 02:26

Seriously, folks, you mean to tell me that you're never never ever doing Jelly-kiting? Always a guarranteed wand before the first Jelly? Always found a sling and never worshipped Ash while cursing your weapon in order ot gain piety quickly? Never felt uncomfortable with leaving that thing wandering around -- and thus possibly wandering into your line of retreat in a narrow corridors level?

I mean, if I can avoid it, I avoid it, I'm even willing to empty a wand of cold/fire on it that would probably have better uses. It's not even difficult or even dangerous, it's just boring.
"... while we / Unburden'd crawl toward death." -- King Lear I,1

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 29th June 2013, 10:37

Most boring things?

1. Old abyss (until 0.11)

It's gone now. Thanks, devs!

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 2nd July 2013, 08:58

ontoclasm wrote:
aegis wrote:1. Savescumming while forgetting to save.
2. Endless pan raids.
3. Abyssal raids.

The raids wouldn't be as dull if you weren't savescumming.

Just sayin'.

Alright that is a lie. In a recent online game I did 15 zigs in a row. The record is 38 but it was boring so I just decided to ascend the character. "Endless Pan" just translates to having to grind popcorn for 20+ minutes between the fun bits (zigs). There's really no reason for it to be endless.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 2nd July 2013, 17:38

I usually throw rocks at jellies, but yeah kiting any slow, strong mob is boring.

However, it is not nearly as boring as the nutrition/food system. I play a lot of ogres and stopping every 30 seconds to find a corpse and eat chunks is extremely tedious.

And d:1. I hate d:1 so much. You want to talk about unfair, some of the most unfair bullshit in the game takes place on d:1. Opening the first door in the game to find a big pack of jackals, getting your life drained by a dagger of draining, dying a horrible, gasping death after getting shot by two poison needles... And yeah, we could kite stuff around a pillar for 5 minutes while my HP regens but I CBA to do something as tedious as that on a character that I have played for 2 minutes.

For this message the author pickled_heretic has received thanks:
Klown

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 2nd July 2013, 17:50

pickled_heretic wrote:However, it is not nearly as boring as the nutrition/food system. I play a lot of ogres and stopping every 30 seconds to find a corpse and eat chunks is extremely tedious.

Have you tried out any of the automation options? With confirm_butcher = never, auto_eat_chunks = true, and auto_drop_chunks = yes, I just make sure I always have a non-rotten chunk on hand by butchering corpses as I go. With ogres they don't even have to be non-rotten.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 2nd July 2013, 18:15

BlackSheep wrote:
pickled_heretic wrote:However, it is not nearly as boring as the nutrition/food system. I play a lot of ogres and stopping every 30 seconds to find a corpse and eat chunks is extremely tedious.

Have you tried out any of the automation options? With confirm_butcher = never, auto_eat_chunks = true, and auto_drop_chunks = yes,...

It's beed said, but I'd like to add:
The macro's cey, or ey
It reduces eating to a single keypress,
Even with TabO alone Tiles player get a feeling of Console.
There is no mouse in crawl;
Hit ?? ingame!

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 17th July 2013, 09:35

People used to complain about Pan, but for whatever reason I am enjoying it the most lately. Possibly as a contrast to the Hells, which have always been and still are a general pain in the arse.

It's not scumming, it's procrastination :)
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 17th July 2013, 12:23

Waiting out poison.
DDHe.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 17th July 2013, 14:14

Why would you wait out poison on DDHe? Either it's not doing any damage because of shaving, in which case go about your business or it's hurting you, so use Ely to stop it from hurting you and then go about your business.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 17th July 2013, 14:52

No, no.. These are two separate boring things.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 17th July 2013, 15:02

1) Agate snails
2) Giant slugs
3) Elephant slugs

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 17th July 2013, 15:25

1. big, bad vaults you cannot avoid
2. slow enemies you have to kite (jellies, spiny worms)
3. item destruction minigame

mind you we're talking boredom, there are things i dislike much more strongly than these
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 17th July 2013, 22:48

I walk up to jellies and whack them with my weapon until they die...I must be doing something wrong. :cry:

1) Dying
2) Scrolls of Random Uselessness
3) Extended bat fights.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 18th July 2013, 02:32

1) Boring beetles
2) 'Kiting' normal speed enemies (continuously attacking and immediately backing off, to minimize their opportunity to damage you). (kiting slow enemies is a little more fun)
3) Everything to do with Chunks. Butchering, eating, rotting. Even with the options BlackSheep mentions set.

Personally I kind of like how scrolls of Random Uselessness are almost, but not entirely, useless.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 18th July 2013, 08:35

I don't blame you as I wanted to include this in my three things(because I decided against it, it's two things) but I suggest that people stop using the boring beetle joke because it isn't funny.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th July 2013, 08:43

1. boring beetles
2. other boring beetles that you meet after the first one
3. dying

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th July 2013, 08:46

I am not sure why so many players consider dying boring. I usually get the most exciting feelings before dying and also am not calm immediately after.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th July 2013, 08:49

do it a thousand times in a row

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
Klown

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th July 2013, 08:52

Grimm wrote:do it a thousand times in a row

Do you mean "20th OpTm in a row do the same things on D1-D4 trying to reach Temple"? That's different from dying IMHO.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 18th July 2013, 08:54

Sandman25 wrote:I am not sure why so many players consider dying boring. I usually get the most exciting feelings before dying and also am not calm immediately after.

I like dying in a glorious fight, when you knowingly confront an overwhelming foe and go all out. I don't like dying from a cockroach on D:1 after running for 20 turns, though.

Yes, I thought that using the boring beetle joke a thousand times might turn out to be funny, but now I'm not so sure.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th July 2013, 09:00

do you find the boring beetle joke...boring?

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
Amnesiac

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 18th July 2013, 09:04

It's getting funny. More boring boring beetle jokes, anyone? I'll start with mine.

What are the three most boring things in Crawl? - Three boring beetles

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 18th July 2013, 09:13

I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 18th July 2013, 09:29

Amnesiac wrote:What are the three most boring things in Crawl? - Three boring beetles

That's 3 too many things. You need 1.5 boring beetles.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 18th July 2013, 09:31

I dunno my English and math are not so good.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 19th July 2013, 03:42

Sandman25 wrote:I am not sure why so many players consider dying boring. I usually get the most exciting feelings before dying and also am not calm immediately after.

I like continuing on, seeing new things, winning. :P

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 19th July 2013, 04:55

I adore Labyrinths. I usually find them at this fascinating point where my character would just barely be able to kill a minotaur, and only with careful planning. I love the way they shift and change, and the little change in gameplay, anticipation. They're just great, I love them.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 19th July 2013, 06:25

Currently if you are having difficulties with killing the Minotaur, then something is wrong with your character.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 19th July 2013, 06:33

Klown wrote:

I like continuing on, seeing new things, winning. :P

Boring and frustrating are different words :)

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 19th July 2013, 07:17

I agree with you on that. They say that dying is not fun, but feeling some thrill(that you usually experience before dying) can't be boring.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 10th August 2013, 02:40

1) Demigods
2) New abyss
3) casters before they learn level 9 spells

Here is just a few other things that are worth mentioning, but not quite as awful as those 3:

-Pandemonium after you have killed all 4 unique pan lords.
-Zot:5 after completing extended-end game.
-DD's unless they are necromancers.
-A Vp without a Vampire weapon.
-Cocytus, yes, out of all the hells, this is the one I hate the most. Not because its difficult, not because ice fiends, but because of fucking deep water.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Thursday, 29th August 2013, 08:29

Amnesiac wrote:using the boring beetle joke a thousand times might turn out to be funny

"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." - John Cage

One million boring beetles would not be boring.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 29th August 2013, 08:36

indeed

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 29th August 2013, 15:43

Then they'd be a Running Gag (Disclaimer: I love this webcomic)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 03:28

1. D:1-3, like everyone says
2. respawns on cleared levels stopping my autotravel
3. extended fights because neither me nor my enemy can land a single solid blow

As much as I despise summons summoning more dudes, that's not boring, that's just frustrating, unfair, and imbalanced (as long as summons give no XP, anyway)

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 1st September 2013, 04:17

Matanui3 wrote:1. D:1-3, like everyone says
2. respawns on cleared levels stopping my autotravel
3. extended fights because neither me nor my enemy can land a single solid blow

As much as I despise summons summoning more dudes, that's not boring, that's just frustrating, unfair, and imbalanced (as long as summons give no XP, anyway)

If summons give no exp, summons of summons should give negative exp.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 25th October 2013, 09:52

Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 25th October 2013, 16:14

It took me a while to get it.
Du hast dich zu weit vorgewagt, (Hinter diesen Mauern!) dich durch dieses Tor gewagt! (Hinter diesen Mauern!)

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 25th October 2013, 18:19

I'm pretty sure I managed to find possibly the most boing thing in Crawl. During the tournament, I had a merfolk summoner who found that Yred vault with zombie fish. So I used summons to fight and kill water-bound zombies. The way the vault bends around a corner meant I could only have 1-2 imps fighting one of the fish at a time. I had to summon about 30 imps and waste 5-10 real time minutes just to kill the enemies. I'm not sure why I didn't just exclude it in retrospect.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 28th October 2013, 17:14

A few more:

-- Positioning rock worms
-- Going through that spiral to get in and out of the Ecumenical temple
-- orc/ogre bands after d:10
-- Insubstantial wisps
-- Cursed items (why do we still have these and the 3 scrolls that cause the effect??)
PreviousNext

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner