Who here runs Crawl on Linux?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 2nd May 2013, 03:48

Who here runs Crawl on Linux?

I'm just kind of curious. I've run Debian Sid for years, but most of the people in my dorm have never even heard of it. I would assume that a large Crawl population runs Linux in some form; otherwise, there wouldn't be a Debian nightly build.

On a side note, why are the nightly builds for Debian? Obviously it would be pointless for those distros that no one uses, such as Slackware. But why not packages for Ubuntu? 50% of Linux users use Ubuntu, because it looks pretty, which is not a good reason imo, but a valid one. I understand that Ubuntu can use .deb packages (it uses aptitude as a package manager), but the environment variables are different, which could lead to some unintended consequences (and I can't imagine a Ubuntard knowing how to recompile from a apt-get source).
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack!"

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 2nd May 2013, 04:41

Re: Who here runs Crawl on Linux?

Ubuntu is Debian with a graphical interface (and some other changes).

There you be no compatibilities issues at all.

Personally I prefer to pull the sources and compile it myself, I'm on openSUSE.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 2nd May 2013, 05:26

Archlinux user here :geek: . I compile git build from AUR to always have the latest version of Crawl.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 2nd May 2013, 07:51

I was running it on kubuntu till about 12 hours ago, when I either managed to unseat my processor or fry something. Hopefully the former. Anyway, I've never had a meaningful issue come up using git and throwing it all together, although I don't bother to do so nightly.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 2nd May 2013, 12:43

Linux Minu/Ubuntu user for like 4 years now, but I still know next to nothing about Linux, which I mainly blame on Crawl :P
By the way, I don't know if distrowatch is actually a good source of information, but Ubuntu has not been the #1 OS there for quite some time now.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 2nd May 2013, 13:23

I'm a proud user of Linux and Windows and run Crawl 0.12 on both. :D
Du hast dich zu weit vorgewagt, (Hinter diesen Mauern!) dich durch dieses Tor gewagt! (Hinter diesen Mauern!)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 2nd May 2013, 13:27

Ubuntu, updating the crawl source with git.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 2nd May 2013, 22:04

cerebovssquire wrote:Linux Minu/Ubuntu user for like 4 years now, but I still know next to nothing about Linux, which I mainly blame on Crawl :P
By the way, I don't know if distrowatch is actually a good source of information, but Ubuntu has not been the #1 OS there for quite some time now.

I use Kubuntu because I like it and it's awfully convenient for my mom and siblings who use my computer =) That being said, I've been using this ancient WinXP machine and I hate how much I need to fiddle with the latest tile build to try and get it how I like. I have a new level of sympathy for you windows users out there.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 3rd May 2013, 07:13

Kubuntu here.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd May 2013, 07:52

prozacelf wrote:
cerebovssquire wrote:Linux Minu/Ubuntu user for like 4 years now, but I still know next to nothing about Linux, which I mainly blame on Crawl :P

I use Kubuntu because I like it and it's awfully convenient for my mom and siblings who use my computer =) That being said, I've been using this ancient WinXP machine and I hate how much I need to fiddle with the latest tile build to try and get it how I like. I have a new level of sympathy for you windows users out there.

There's not much difference between Mint and Ubuntu anyway, the most striking one is that new Ubuntu systems have a weird desktop (that everyone I know hates ;)), but that doesn't affect Kubuntu. Both are systems I can conveniently use without learning much about the more complex aspects of Linux (to me), like heavy console use, compiling from source, etc

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
prozacelf

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 3rd May 2013, 08:43

I use the terminal, and I've made Worms and Hearts of Iron work in WINE, but I'm lazy at heart, which is why I like Kubuntu.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd May 2013, 12:52

I wanted to replace Windows Vista on a secondhand laptop, and no longer have the free time to invest up front learning the complexities of the internals of Linux. That's not to say I haven't bothered to learn anything about it. I just needed it to work first so that I could learn it at my leisure.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 3rd May 2013, 21:53

Installed LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) with XFCE about 2 years ago. I switched the repositories to Debian ones later though, so now it is "pure" Debian Sid with a bunch of packages from experimental. Had been using Xubuntu for about 1,5 years before that.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 3rd May 2013, 23:21

cerebovssquire wrote:
prozacelf wrote:

There's not much difference between Mint and Ubuntu anyway, the most striking one is that new Ubuntu systems have a weird desktop (that everyone I know hates ;)), but that doesn't affect Kubuntu. Both are systems I can conveniently use without learning much about the more complex aspects of Linux (to me), like heavy console use, compiling from source, etc

Ubuntu is hated so much because the recent versions use the Unity desktop. This is seen by many members of the Linux community (such as myself) as awful, because it increases the virtual monopoly that Canonical (the company that produces Ubuntu and provides support for it) has on Ubuntu.

Distrowatch doesn't measure which distros are most used, just which people are most interested in. Otherwise, a nobody distro like "Magela" wouldn't be #2.
varsovie wrote:Ubuntu is Debian with a graphical interface (and some other changes).

There you be no compatibilities issues at all.

Personally I prefer to pull the sources and compile it myself, I'm on openSUSE.

There are quite a few changes actually, but I would assume it at least sortof works, because both use Aptitude.
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 4th May 2013, 00:25

I run crawl on Xubuntu, but I build from git. It's nice having a project like this that has decent documentation on how to build and run their projects. Far too many other projects that do not.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 4th May 2013, 00:49

The documentation is great if you have sufficient knowledge to understand it, but over that I'd place the community that's willing to offer help and advice.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 4th May 2013, 00:52

BlackSheep wrote:The documentation is great if you have sufficient knowledge to understand it, but over that I'd place the community that's willing to offer help and advice.

I tried compiling Crawl once.
I typed make install.
And it worked.

In my opinion, a decent, portable makefile is 10 times more important than proper documentation, because people tend to be dumb.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 4th May 2013, 02:42

Unity is crap. Unless you're running it on a tablet.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 4th May 2013, 03:00

giygas wrote:
BlackSheep wrote:The documentation is great if you have sufficient knowledge to understand it, but over that I'd place the community that's willing to offer help and advice.

I typed make install.
And it worked.

In my opinion, a decent, portable makefile is 10 times more important than proper documentation, because people tend to be dumb.

I was talking about the instructions about getting the code base and submodules with git.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 4th May 2013, 04:17

BlackSheep wrote:
giygas wrote:

I typed make install.
And it worked.

I was talking about the instructions about getting the code base and submodules with git.

Oh.
Well, git is simple enough, but being a Debiant, I just use apt-get source. An Ubuntard can and should also do that, it's less typing imo. (Note that I mean Ubuntard in (almost) no disrespect; it's just that I don't want to say Debian user, Ubuntu user, etc.)
prozacelf wrote:Unity is crap. Unless you're running it on a tablet.

I agree. Both Unity and Gnome 3 are good looking, but unusable if you like to be productive. I liked Gnome 2, but I don't like to use unsupported legacy software, whatever my nostalgia. I am currently running MATE, which is a sort of Gnome 2 revival (that is supported), although I sneak off to improve the appearance of my XFCE desktop from time to time (gotta love compiz).

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 4th May 2013, 11:07

giygas wrote:(Note that I mean Ubuntard in (almost) no disrespect; it's just that I don't want to say Debian user, Ubuntu user, etc.)
What? You can't just use an offensive word (not just towards Ubuntu users, also towards disabled people) and say you don't mean it to be offensive. Words have meanings independent of what you want them to mean.
giygas wrote:Both Unity and Gnome 3 are good looking, but unusable if you like to be productive.
Weirdly, I am perfectly productive using Gnome 3 (and would probably with Unity too).

For this message the author edlothiol has received thanks: 2
BlackSheep, Marbit

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 4th May 2013, 12:47

giygas wrote:Well, git is simple enough, but being a Debiant, I just use apt-get source.

And how do you get code updates and track them, or create patches for submittal to Mantis? If you're not interested in these things, why bother with source code at all?

giygas wrote:Both Unity and Gnome 3 are good looking, but unusable if you like to be productive.

If I did productive work with my desktop interface, that might make sense, but I'm productive with my applications, which behave the same whether I start them from the dash, the launcher or the command line.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 4th May 2013, 16:01

it's just that I don't want to say Debian user, Ubuntu user, etc.)

You could have just typed "Debian user" and "Ubuntu user" in the time you needed to tell us that you didn't mean to offend :P

re: productivity, I am occasionally productive with KDE even though staring at a desktop cube rotating around for 5 minutes is pretty great

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 4th May 2013, 20:17

BlackSheep wrote:

If I did productive work with my desktop interface, that might make sense, but I'm productive with my applications, which behave the same whether I start them from the dash, the launcher or the command line.

What I meant was that when switching from application to application, it takes longer than it should "from the dash, the launcher", and the console is more than a keystroke away.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 4th May 2013, 21:04

giygas wrote:What I meant was that when switching from application to application, it takes longer than it should "from the dash, the launcher", and the console is more than a keystroke away.

Have you looked at guake?

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 4th May 2013, 22:46

BlackSheep wrote:
giygas wrote:What I meant was that when switching from application to application, it takes longer than it should "from the dash, the launcher", and the console is more than a keystroke away.

Have you looked at guake?

Yes, but I've never tried it.
Might as well give it a shot.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 5th May 2013, 02:52

giygas wrote:and the console is more than a keystroke away.

Have they disabled "CTRL"+"Fx" ?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 5th May 2013, 03:20

That works too, except it's ctrl-alt-Fx on my version.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 5th May 2013, 04:02

BlackSheep wrote:That works too, except it's ctrl-alt-Fx on my version.

Mmmhh yeah, I do it so intuitively didn't even notice I pressed the ALT. :roll:

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 5th May 2013, 04:03

varsovie wrote:
giygas wrote:and the console is more than a keystroke away.

Have they disabled "CTRL"+"Fx" ?

I love using the console, but imo that shouldn't mean I have to (even temporarily) give up my desktop, unless I am chrooting for repairs, in which case idc.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 5th May 2013, 21:05

giygas wrote:I love using the console, but imo that shouldn't mean I have to (even temporarily) give up my desktop, unless I am chrooting for repairs, in which case idc.

That's why I love quake. One tap gives you a console window, and you can create multiple tabs if you have something running continously.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 5th May 2013, 21:55

BlackSheep wrote:
giygas wrote:I love using the console, but imo that shouldn't mean I have to (even temporarily) give up my desktop, unless I am chrooting for repairs, in which case idc.

That's why I love quake. One tap gives you a console window, and you can create multiple tabs if you have something running continously.

I tried Guake. I like it, but it has a glaring problem I'm unable to fix. The top of the console doesn't go to the top of my screen; it stops about a centimeter below.
Otherwise, it works great, and I like it.

EDIT: I found a good guake alternative: tilda, which DOES work right on MATE.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner