How the $^%$^...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 21st April 2013, 05:00

How the $^%$^...

How the hell do you play this game? I can't get past level two. The monsters are way to powerful for a new player. Being killed by single Bats and Worms is a total joke. If I get to level two its just instant death from the super monsters like wizards, centaurs, and Orc mobs. The centaurs are absolutely totally unbalanced, you step around a corner and instant death as they never miss and one shot kills every time.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 21st April 2013, 05:11

Re: How the $^%$^...

Troll Berserker is very noobie friendly. Just berserk on everything until you get the hang of it. Also, read the forums... especially CiP. There is a ton of good info here.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 21st April 2013, 07:53

Crawl is just very unforgiving. Paraphrasing what I've read sometime: make a tactical mistake and you're dead now, make a strategical mistake and you're dead later. The bad news is that the early game is the harshest part, you will be dying often; the good news is that this will force you to acquire habits that will eventually get you through the game consistently.

(So, I'd say: chosing a combo that has an exceptionally easy early game just means that you will be dying just as often, but after having spent more time on your characters.)

Focus on training your means of offense. Use tactical retreat: when you see a monster, even a weak one, your first impulse should be to step back and ambush it in terrain that you know and under circumstances that you control. The rest is learning to balance your ressources.
"... while we / Unburden'd crawl toward death." -- King Lear I,1

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 21st April 2013, 11:35

If you want crawl's easymode, pick Deep Elf Fire Elementalist, and then Vehumet as your god. Literally all you have to do is shoot a bunch of fire, block corridors with conjure flame to run away when you're overwhelmed, and use the spells vehumet gives you as you get them.

Bats have a very simple trick. They're fast, so they can hit you then move away during a single turn, but of you move away from they they will end up next to you after they attack, where you can hit them.

You shouldn't die to worms, because unless you are playing a naga you are faster than them, and can escape at any time. If you are a naga, you can use poison spit (almost all bugs are extra vulnerable to poison).

As for centaurs, go behind a corner one square away from the edge, this will keep you out of sight until he closes in to round the corner, and you can use your first move to get into melee, when he will stop shooting you. You will use this move very often on any melee character. If you can't get to a corner, use a scroll of fog. Monsters won't shoot if they can't see you, and it will allow you to reach a corner.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 21st April 2013, 11:58

Worms hit hard because they are slow as slugs. Use that to your advantage and hit them with ranged weapons, or attack once -> move away -> attack once -> move away (repeat until dead) so you can kill it without taking damage. Many enemies have balancing factors like that.

Centaurs... well they are kind of overpowered against low level characters. You need to find a way to get them into melee range where they will put away their ranged weapon and hit for much less damage. Also, I don't know of a character that would die instantly (from full health) to a centaur unless by sheer bad luck it had a strong branded weapon. These kinds of deaths that you can't do anything about are rare.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 21st April 2013, 12:47

Almost all my characters use a spear to deal with Worms/Zombies, it is time-consuming but very safe.

Edit: grammar
Last edited by Sandman25 on Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 21st April 2013, 13:04

rcnr wrote:You shouldn't die to worms, because unless you are playing a naga you are faster than them, and can escape at any time. If you are a naga, you can use poison spit (almost all bugs are extra vulnerable to poison).

Point of note, Naga's Slither faster then Worms. You can even kite them while you spit Poison at them.

As to the poster, Crawl is a difficult Rogue-like when compared to many others; there is a lot of depth in the game and various ways to get your character killed. You need to learn the various tricks such as tactically positioning, smart use of abilities and spells, and leveraging the advantages of the species your playing. If you haven't already, consider checking out my YouTube videos or someone else's, watching someone play on Webtiles, or perhaps playing on Webtiles yourself and getting someone to join you and give advice on what to do.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 21st April 2013, 14:40

Puff the magic Draconian wrote:If I get to level two its just instant death from the super monsters like wizards, centaurs, and Orc mobs.

Those aren't things you normally meet at D:2, unless you mean XL:2 by "Level two" and you were going down stairs as soon as you saw them. It might be faster if we saw some morgue files to diagnose exactly what you're doing but if you want to do some reading on your own, I've just finished my starter's guide (with a MiBe, my recommendation for learning the game).

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 21st April 2013, 20:36

can i just site track this thread for a moment and thank everyone who saw this post and decided to respond with helpful tips instead of just mocking this poor soul.

faith in the people of the internet: raising

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 21st April 2013, 20:45

Don't read GDD.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks: 3
njvack, rebthor, Tiber

Eringya's Employee

Post Sunday, 21st April 2013, 21:15

Needs more minmay.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 21st April 2013, 22:20

Press 5 to rest and get your hp or mp back.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 22nd April 2013, 03:08

There's a tutorial. Did you play the tutorial. Also, tiles mode.

This should earn me my dark blue right quick now.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 22nd April 2013, 05:46

XuaXua wrote:There's a tutorial. Did you play the tutorial. Also, tiles mode.

I am not sure why you believe tiles mode is easier than console one. Is base damage of weapons increased in tiles mode? :)

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 22nd April 2013, 06:53

Sandman25 wrote:

I am not sure why you believe tiles mode is easier than console one. Is base damage of weapons increased in tiles mode? :)

A bit more user friendly for folks that aren't used to ascii. An unarmed gnoll and a halberd toting gnoll look visibly different in tiles and there is a different threat level there. Not saying its great to ignore the x-v screen, but it does come in handy.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 22nd April 2013, 06:55

bobross419 wrote:A bit more user friendly for folks that aren't used to ascii. An unarmed gnoll and a halberd toting gnoll look visibly different in tiles and there is a different threat level there. Not saying its great to ignore the x-v screen, but it does come in handy.

I think you are right. I don't even know what x-v screen does after playing about 4 months :)

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 22nd April 2013, 09:21

eXamine->View
You can see the descriptions of monsters, items etc.
I have to remind myself to use it on any new kind of enemy I encounter :(

For this message the author Frelus has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 22nd April 2013, 09:26

Frelus wrote:eXamine->View

After dying to new monsters many times I don't have this problem - I always go to wiki/knowledge bots. Some call it spoilers but I hate being unable to estimate how much damage I can get from melee monsters and spells are even more important.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 22nd April 2013, 20:56

Sandman25 wrote:
Frelus wrote:eXamine->View

After dying to new monsters many times I don't have this problem - I always go to wiki/knowledge bots. Some call it spoilers but I hate being unable to estimate how much damage I can get from melee monsters and spells are even more important.

On that note, I don't understand why it is called a 'spoiler,' as if doing so is a bad thing. I always used to type any monster/spell/items into Crawlwiki or crawl database bot to see what exactly I was facing. You have only one life, might as well be informed about every new thing beforehand.

And I agree centaurs are incredibly annoying when they appear at lower levels (they always are, but more so when character level is low). At early level I'd use a teleport/blink/fog scroll just to get away from them if I'm in an open area.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 22nd April 2013, 22:05

bobross419 wrote:Troll Berserker is very noobie friendly. Just berserk on everything until you get the hang of it. Also, read the forums... especially CiP. There is a ton of good info here.
Die of starvation. = great fun The troll needs more food than can be found. It's an impossible race to use.

rcnr wrote:If you want crawl's easymode, pick Deep Elf Fire Elementalist, and then Vehumet as your god. Literally all you have to do is shoot a bunch of fire, block corridors with conjure flame to run away when you're overwhelmed, and use the spells vehumet gives you as you get them.
Any kind of Mage or Elementalist CAN NOT use spells at level one! Stupid, but that's the way it is.
rcnr wrote:Bats have a very simple trick. They're fast, so they can hit you then move away during a single turn, but of you move away from they they will end up next to you after they attack, where you can hit them.

You shouldn't die to worms, because unless you are playing a naga you are faster than them, and can escape at any time. If you are a naga, you can use poison spit (almost all bugs are extra vulnerable to poison).
If you try to run away from a monster you end up running into others and end up being surrounded, and die quicker.
rcnr wrote:As for centaurs, go behind a corner one square away from the edge, this will keep you out of sight until he closes in to round the corner, and you can use your first move to get into melee, when he will stop shooting you. You will use this move very often on any melee character. If you can't get to a corner, use a scroll of fog. Monsters won't shoot if they can't see you, and it will allow you to reach a corner.
How is it possible to move after your dead? There is no chance to move when come across the centaur. You see it and your dead, there is no attacking or moving allowed! Scroll of Fog? Do you have any idea that there is no way to buy any supplies before starting? Did you pay for an upgrade that gave access to God and supplies?
Sandman25 wrote:Almost all my characters use a spear do deal with Worms/Zombies, it is time-consuming but very safe.
How do you get this spear, there is no picking weapons or shops to buy from?
What playable tutorial? Do you have a link that works? You can't play tiles mode anymore, it was removed.

From every thing I have seen this a just a game of random death. Play a hundred times and maybe once you will get somewhere. When I saw that this game is not a couple of floors but dozen upon dozen of floors it is a total waste of time.

For this message the author Puff the magic Draconian has received thanks: 5
Arrhythmia, crate, mikee, rebthor, squarelos

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 22nd April 2013, 23:04

Puff the magic Draconian wrote:From every thing I have seen this a just a game of random death. Play a hundred times and maybe once you will get somewhere. When I saw that this game is not a couple of floors but dozen upon dozen of floors it is a total waste of time.

Yes, those players who are beating it regularily? They do not exist. Everybody dies just randomly, no skill involved. The game is just an extensive April fools joke. That the game has a reputation for being very hard to master doesn't mean that it shouldn't be easy for YOU. If YOU can not get past level 2, nobody can.
"... while we / Unburden'd crawl toward death." -- King Lear I,1

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 00:06

MarvinPA wrote:
minmay wrote:This has to be a joke.

For real this time?

third time lucky right

right???

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 03:02

Puff the magic Draconian wrote:
What playable tutorial? Do you have a link that works? You can't play tiles mode anymore, it was removed.

You talking about the CDO Webtiles? That's down yes but that isn't the only way to play DCSS.

Anyhow, on the main site you can download the game in both ASCII or Tiled Mode (or both). Download the desired package (Tiles is suggested) for your operating system and start the game. You'll get a menu with links, and the Tutorial for Dungeon Crawl will be listed as the second link.

After you take a run through the tutorial of the game, you may be inclined to try the Hints Mode. Here you get 3 pre-set combinations (Meleeing Zealot, Ranged Archer, and Glass Cannon Mage) made and you get some varied hints while playing.

For online play, I'd say look into trying CAO Webtiles or CSZO Webtiles. These are the US servers so you may get a lot of lag if you aren't the US. However, if it is bearable you can try and get some help from players while they see you play.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 13:07

Why are you still talking to this person?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 13:08

BlackSheep wrote:Why are you still talking to this person?

it's more fun than playing this terrible game

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks: 2
joellercoaster, rebthor

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 13:16

BlackSheep wrote:Why are you still talking to this person?

I give the benefit of the doubt that it is genuinely an irritated newbie. If not then he's just trolling, in which case refer to cerebovsquire and wonder why type of reply we will get.

cerebovssquire wrote:it's more fun than playing this terrible game

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 13:21

All evidence to the contrary, apparently.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 16:10

See, you're handling centaurs wrong. You're supposed to catch his arrows and throw them back.

As for lowbie items and spells, did you buy the Starter Pack DLC?
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 16:11

also, you can never use enough elbereth

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
varsovie

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 17:26

cerebovssquire wrote:also, you can never use enough elbereth

Maybe his INT is too low?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 19:28

Quick tips:

Green dress orcs are easy. Charge into melee range!
NEVER use a consumable unless you absolutely must.
Take Okawaru for the gifts.
Conjure Flame is a waste of slots.
MrBobbyG is awesome.
Fireball is OP.
If you died and think it was unfair, post in GDD and it will likely be corrected.
Grimm looks smashing in a dress.
Last edited by mrbobbyg on Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 20:43, edited 3 times in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 20:19

I actually agree with most of these :(

Eringya's Employee

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 20:25

MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 23rd April 2013, 20:51

If you take off all your armor, the green dress orcs will heal you instead of hurt you.
Won Offline: NaFE(3), MiBe(3), HEIE(3), DsCj(3), MfSk(4), MfSk(15), DsIE(15).

I play online at crawl.s-z.org as Lyfon. There I have won: MfGl(15), NaTm(15), HEIE(15), HaAK(6), and NaDK(3).

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 01:42

I'm I on Nethack's forum? :roll:

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 05:57

If you kill Sigmund, you get the Amulet of Yendor {Life Saving, rC+++}
rC means resist Centaur.
That's how we've all been surviving this long.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 06:12

Is that true?

Sewers Scotsman

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 09:20

Grimm wrote:Is that true?

In part.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 12:00

Confidence Interval wrote:

In part.

Wait. Which one?

Sewers Scotsman

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 12:37

mrbobbyg wrote:
Confidence Interval wrote:

In part.

Wait. Which one?

If you have to ask...

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 12:40

part time?

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 14:18

Confidence Interval wrote:If you have to ask...

you can't afford it
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 14:27

njvack wrote:

you can't afford it

Aren't we getting bargaining though?

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 16:18

Tarp wrote:If you kill Sigmund, you get the Amulet of Yendor {Life Saving, rC+++}
rC means resist Centaur.
That's how we've all been surviving this long.

I just rush up and vampiric drain them. Heals me for more damage than they can inflict.
On the subject of N00b advice, I'd sugest a DeCj for easy casting and a Tr(Be/Fi/Mo) for melee. (Mo is monk, right? I've never been good with the abreviations.)
Trolls can get food by pressing c over a corpse, which butchers it. You then eat the food with e, as trolls can eat at any time, no matter how full they are. (There is a celing eventually, but if you ever reach it then you havn't been sacrificing enough corpses to trog.)
As far as Cj goes, just press z, choose magic dart, and then cast it at something. Run away if you run out of mana. Rinse, repeat.
Also, do not play:
Races:
Mummies: They can't drink potions, have bad xp gain, bad aptitudes, bad stats, and bad fire resistance. They can spam spells like no other in extended game, but it's nigh impossible to get them to survive to there.
Deep Dwarf: These guys can't heal without the help of magic. Either you play a healer or a necromancer, anything else is suicide.
Classes:
Chaos Knight: Your god will randomly do random things. It is generaly funny, but it is also bad for your health.
Skald: They're caster/fighter hybrids that can't cast spells at first level and have really bad spells once they can actually use them. These guys suck more than wanderers, which were specificly designed to suck.
Necromancer: They have two first level spells, one which starts off memorized and one you have to memmorize on your own. The one they start with is pain, which does 1hp of damage to you unless you're a mummy or deep dwarf. The other is animate skeleton, which turns a corpse into a ally with around 1/10 the power of the origional monster. Good in the middle of the game if you know what you're doing and don't mind herding a bunch of abominations everywhere, but not n00b friendly.
Artificier: These guys start off with magic items and the skill to use them. They still suck, as magic items have a limited number of charges, and once you've used your wand of fire 15 times, it's just an expensive stick.
Wanderer: These guys have random skills, stat bonuses, and items. You could get int as your base stat and spellcasting as your only skill, but no spellbook. These are for people who hate themselves even more than the people who play mummies.

That's my advice at any rate. Do note I've only won once though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 16:20

mrbobbyg wrote:
njvack wrote:

you can't afford it

Aren't we getting bargaining though?

Nah. The devs were just fixing up a buff effect from the deck of oddities. While it does get you a discount, it also has a minimum length of two turns, which generaly isn't enough to get to a shop.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner