Long term proposal: limbs and materials

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 29th March 2013, 13:42

Long term proposal: limbs and materials

Quite a while ago, I've played a roguelike called Iter Vehemens ad Necem. You can look here to find the homepage of the game or on its wiki. It's not developed for several years, but still, it's one of the best roguelikes I've ever played (apart from Crawl, which is the best, of course :D ).

So, the best things on IVaN are the limb system (You have separate HP for each limb and you can lose your limbs without dying. But it's definitely better not to lose your limbs, as fighting a werewolf with only one hand is kind of awful. I died in this combat. :) ) and materials (Every weapon can be generated with different materials, changing its attributes accordingly. The difference between iron sword and mithril sword is very recognizable and finding a scroll of change material can make your life much easier.). I would adore to see these two things implemented to Crawl, even though it would probably change the game very much.

What do you think?
You slash the rat with your +7 +5 cursed slightly rusted very sharp meteoric steel demonic flaming triple sword of speed and pain covered with various bloods and vomit. The rat is not hurt.
The rat bites you.
You die…

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 29th March 2013, 14:22

Re: Long term proposal: limbs and materials

Sure, these sound like really simple changes that can only make the game better.
kekekela is my in-game name

For this message the author battaile has received thanks:
pivotal

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 29th March 2013, 15:01

IVAN was a fun game (I mean, as long as you weren't planning on getting very far and were mostly just in it to make your legs fall off from walking over broken glass bottles) but like battaile said, this would require a huge amount of changes just to replace a system that already works. If Crawl had been built and designed from the ground up using the IVAN-style limbs-and-materials system that'd be one thing.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 29th March 2013, 15:09

red_kangaroo: Crawl isn't IVAN. The limb and material systems work for IVAN, but that is not a good reason to add them to Crawl.

In IVAN, you want to upgrade your equipment for two reasons, AFAIK:
1. Better material equipment is better -- I do not think a new way to upgrade your equipment would add anything interesting to the game. We already have gods that give brands, enchant scrolls, and randarts.
2. Better material equipment is less likely to be destroyed -- Crawl has (controversial) item destruction already, applying it to equipment too is probably a bad idea.

The limb thing is IVAN's gimick. If we copy it, our copy will probably suck. Also, it will be a copy. Besides, you can already upgrade your character with gods, skills, and equipment. And you can suffer semi-permenant damage in the form of mutations. What do we need replacement mithril arms for?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 29th March 2013, 15:41

DF has the whole limbs things too (and brains, kidneys, pinky toes, and numerous other parts for which we should be probably thankful that it's only rendered in ASCII). Does it make the game fun? Occasionally, sure, but other times (for me anyway) it feels too much like a simulation.

All these games are abstractions and in Crawl the important abstraction is how dead you are. It's up to the player if they want to imagine they were limbless crawling around in a pool of blood and vomit on 5HP then magically grew all those limbs back while they were resting. We definitely don't need to force that level of detail down a player's throat.

For this message the author mumra has received thanks: 2
cerebovssquire, pivotal

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 29th March 2013, 18:05

Crawl will never have a limb system. To make that kind of system work, you actually need to design it properly and design the game around it. And don't even mention the DF system, that level of simulation works well in producing combat messages, but it is NOT the type of thing appropriate to a game like crawl which focuses on tactical depth. If you don't understand why, stop posting here and read up on the game's design philosophy.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 29th March 2013, 20:17

evilmike wrote:Crawl will never have a limb system. To make that kind of system work, you actually need to design it properly and design the game around it. And don't even mention the DF system, that level of simulation works well in producing combat messages, but it is NOT the type of thing appropriate to a game like crawl which focuses on tactical depth. If you don't understand why, stop posting here and read up on the game's design philosophy.

Note: I only mentioned DF as an extreme example of why not to have this in Crawl. The OP didn't even mention it.
Last edited by mumra on Friday, 29th March 2013, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 29th March 2013, 20:35

mumra wrote:
evilmike wrote:Crawl will never have a limb system. To make that kind of system work, you actually need to design it properly and design the game around it. And don't even mention the DF system, that level of simulation works well in producing combat messages, but it is NOT the type of thing appropriate to a game like crawl which focuses on tactical depth. If you don't understand why, stop posting here and read up on the game's design philosophy.

Um ... I only mentioned DF as an extreme example of why not to have this in Crawl. The OP didn't even mention it.

Why are you posting here instead of reading the design docs
kekekela is my in-game name

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 29th March 2013, 20:37

Guitar Hero has some sweet mechanics that I'm a fan of too, but I'm pretty sure they don't belong in Crawl.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 30th March 2013, 00:58

mumra wrote:I only mentioned DF as an extreme example of why not to have this in Crawl. The OP didn't even mention it.

But you just did again!!!

Now I will stab you in the torso with my <<gorilla bone spear>>, tearing the muscle, and fracturing the pancreas.

For this message the author evilmike has received thanks:
njvack

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 30th March 2013, 01:33

yogaFLAME wrote:Guitar Hero has some sweet mechanics that I'm a fan of too, but I'm pretty sure they don't belong in Crawl.

The Castle passtune from Nethack, it's finally back and worse than ever

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 7th April 2013, 21:23

Wyvern had a limb system that might work with crawl... Each body part had it's own AC value. With each attack, a roll would determine which body part was hit. If the torso was hit, the torso AC would absorb damage. If the head was hit, the head AC would absorb damage. (etc.)

The hit body part could be weighted based on the difference in size of the monsters (a rat would more likely hit the feet, while a giant would more likely hit the head).

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 7th April 2013, 23:12

Fergy wrote:Wyvern had a limb system that might work with crawl... Each body part had it's own AC value. With each attack, a roll would determine which body part was hit. If the torso was hit, the torso AC would absorb damage. If the head was hit, the head AC would absorb damage. (etc.)

The hit body part could be weighted based on the difference in size of the monsters (a rat would more likely hit the feet, while a giant would more likely hit the head).

Doing something like this would mean having to redo crawl all over. It would make more sense to do it in an entirely different game or a fork.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 7th April 2013, 23:29

battaile wrote:
mumra wrote:
evilmike wrote:If you don't understand why, stop posting here and read up on the game's design philosophy.

Um ... I only mentioned DF as an extreme example of why not to have this in Crawl. The OP didn't even mention it.

Why are you posting here instead of reading the design docs

Yeah! Stop posting immediately and read directions! How dare you make the mistake of posting! GET OFF THA FORAM!
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 03:38

The addition of limbs and materials system is very good idea for advancement in crawl.
But it is very necessary to consider what kind of material is to be added to make it nice.

For this message the author colin56 has received thanks:
twelwe

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 13:22

Crawl is already brutal enough without the added vulnerability that body parts usually means.
Last edited by graffen69 on Friday, 26th April 2013, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 25th April 2013, 05:09

The kobold attacks with the +1, +1 Rusty Sword. You have contracted tetanus! You feel a mild muscle spasm in your left arm.

Will this be added?
Short answer? No.
Long answer?
No.
Fork Crawl and do it yourself, if you believe this is such a good idea.
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack!"

Barkeep

Post Friday, 26th April 2013, 20:55

CONTINUED THREAD LIFE: CONFIRMED

SILLINESS THRESHOLD: EXCEEDED

THREAD MOVED TO: CRAZY YUIF'S CORNER
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 26th April 2013, 22:12

it's the circle of life

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 26th April 2013, 23:51

Grimm wrote:it's the circle of life

No, it's the circle of unlife. When I read
  Code:
You ponder the meaning of unlife
for the first time, it cracked me up.
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack!"

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 27th April 2013, 00:00

Can't we keep CYC limited to meta posts about the CYC meta plz?

It's like it's becoming GDD-fails.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner