Tip of the day

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 17:55

Tip of the day

Each time you log in have a “tip of the day” line in the startup. Here´s a few examples:

Tip of the day: As a Summoner dealing with early invisible enemies use Call Canine. For later invisible mobs Haunt, Summon Greater Demon, Summon Horrible Things or Summon Dragon are all viable options

Tip of the day: Using a scroll of Vulnerability purges glow effect

Tip of the day: Royal Jellys are not only hefty meals, they also restore abilities

Tip of the day: Because of their low magic resistance, Bats, Giant Newts & Rats are excellent mobs to try out new unidentified wands on.

Tip of the day: Remember that you can also use Enchant scrolls to remove curses of the appropriate type
etc.

Each time you relog a new tip pops up. The list of tips should cover the more subtle rules, the ones not covered in the in-game manual/tutorial/patch notes and could also include recent update & changes that have an impact on the game.
Last edited by graffen69 on Saturday, 23rd March 2013, 16:59, edited 2 times in total.

For this message the author graffen69 has received thanks: 3
battaile, MIC132, ohmi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 17:58

Re: Tip of the day

It's not a bad idea. Plenty of other games implement this. Generating, maintaining and translating the list will be a big effort.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 18:02

Tip of the day: As a Summoner dealing with early invisible enemies use Call Canine.

Thanks for that one. :D
kekekela is my in-game name

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 18:14

I think it's a good idea! It'd add a bit of flavour to starting it back up, although I feel the hints should be very subtle - probably things that are basically listed in item/creature/god descriptions otherwise it might become a bit spoilery and take some of the fun out of finding/working stuff out for yourself. In some cases this is probably just a case of wording, so for the call canines spell you could have: 'Most canines can see invisible enemies' to be a bit less spoilery.

One interesting use for a 'tip' is to get people interested in new game mechanics/classes they might not have thought about/used. So for instance, it could say simple things like 'Octopodes can wear 8 rings and can constrict up to 8 enemies' or a note about a possible demonspawn/draconian mutation.

With all this though ,it'd be a fine line to walk...
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 18:24

I like the idea, but I would recommend having a ton of possible tips before implementing.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 18:48

I do not see how this is significantly different from reading the learnDB and using knowledge bots which have many more eyes and hands maintaining them and allow a player to choose precisely how spoiled they want to be. Furthermore, I doubt that there are that many tips that are both general and specific enough to be useful. A lot of Crawl knowledge is being able to evaluate a situation that is mostly unique. Other tips would just be facts you can get from reading in-game descriptions and others yet are easy to learn from simple experimentation.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 18:55

Yeah, I appreciate the canine tip but I really don't like the idea of this as an interstitial start screen kind of deal. Its the kind of info I'd rather get from forums, bots, irc, etc...when I want to play I just want to go immediately.
kekekela is my in-game name

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 18:58

Well, I'd want something like this be optional. There's no reason for an experienced player to have to see it every time. Also, it wouldn't need to be a pop up message. It could be printed right in the message log.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 19:11

Yeah if it was in the message log as a welcome message it'd be pretty unobtrusive but some nice flavour for new players. Furthermore, you could have it only display if you weren't worshipping a god (as they already give you a message) so this would mean you'd only see it early on anyway.
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 19:25

i am going to think of tips, to post, and will post tips later in another post. also i have some of the tips already, from later in the day

tip of the day: you have bread and meat ration, but when hungry you have to choose

tip of the day: you can hold ctrl button+c and highlight the words (highlight first it then hit ctrl ,and c, at th same time) "copy" text then ctrl+v to "paste" everything is all there, saves time to type more tips

tip of the day: no one is watching you play

tip of the day: if you ask it or anybody, no one has a good mom joke ready. so read have some mom jokes and when you are asked, you can say "here is the joke"

tip of the day: health is another word for hit points, we use this is the american way of saying

top of the day: no one trades in mom jokes anymore but i think it is coming back. i was talking to jerry friend and we were talking mom jokes and he is pretty popular in school. it is coming back.

tip of the day: force lance is good for cheibretos

tip of the day: you cant turn this off

tip of the day: "if you love some thing so set it free" dont follow this advice

tip of the day: weed beaners suck mondo hey some, dont doubt it bro. i know what the good weed is. i will look at the picture and tell you if the weed is good, for free, online, just set a message
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 19:35

Tip of the day: Press CTRL-s, and spend some time with your wife and kids.

For this message the author Moose has received thanks: 2
Bim, TotallyWizard

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 16th March 2013, 05:01

tip of the day: get a wife

tip of the day: have children, if not with the wife then u`re paramour

tip of the day: press ctrl button and s, spend time with u`re paramour
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 16th March 2013, 10:15

Tip of The Day: Not everything must be killed by your hands. You can even get the Orb without slaying a single creature, be it living or undead, a construct or a plant. Do you have what it takes?
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 20th March 2013, 19:14

Tip of the Day: You're gonna die.

Tip of the Day: Don't write a guide.

Tip of the Day: Necromutation is probably more trouble than it's worth.

Tip of the Day: Don't wear the goddamn Hat of Pondering.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner