Deep Elf Wizard Guide

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 16:15

Deep Elf Wizard Guide

Deep elves rule, are cool, and overpowered, despite threads tending to be locked for saying so :D . High level conjuration spells bring the smackdown like no other attack type in the game, culminating in the king of pwn, firestorm (or the queen, icestorm). No one gets it earlier or can use it more effectively than a deep elf. This guide should get new players from dying miserably to winning with style and suitable carnage, turning the entire dungeon into a charred ruin. Laugh as 'powerful' and 'dangerous' uniques fail to get the text of their shout completed before they vaporize, yawn as you wipe out ziggurats and resort to giving yourself house-rule handicaps to provide a challenge, pose heroically as you smash the dungeon like a.. giant smashing thing (but with magic). You get the idea.

*disclaimer*

This is how I play casters and it's very effective. I don't claim to know everything or even a lot about the game or be the first one to play like this, just thought a guide would be fun. Constructive criticism is welcome, flaming isn't. It is targetted at new players or those who don't play conjurers much. In preemptive response to 'This is nothing new...blah blah' I submit that it wouldn't be much of a guide if I stuck only to what no player anywhere knew (nothing), would it?

*disclaimer ends*

The guide will be done in parts over the next while. I'll start a new character to play through and add in some minor aar stuff. I'll edit it to add content or correct.

DEEP ELF WIZARD - A REAL MAN'S CASTER

General Principles

(to always keep in mind and which will keep you alive, unless you forget, in which case you will die quicker than an indigenous people in the Americas)

- You're a wizard, that means you don't get involved in fistfights or primitive melees with pointy things. That is for peasants with no class. If you ignore this you deserve to die, which you likely will.

- You've heard of speed is life, well for you mana points are life. Don't leave yourself short without a way to recover, ever. You will have spells which can allow you to escape from any situation, provided you have mana. That means early to mid game always keeping a reserve supply for a few blinks or whatever. Later you will get nifty ways to recover like sublimation of blood and pots, in a pinch, but always think of them as something you'd rather not use.

- The best defence is a good offence, and an even better defence is having the best offence in the game by miles. You are not going to aim to be capable of absorbing more punishment, you are going to annihilate everything before they can get within five tiles of you. This is why I think fire magic is clearly superior to ice magic for our character. Ice has some nice defensive spells but we don't plan to get damage to reduce. Firestorm is smite targeted which is a large advantage over icestorm.

- If in doubt, kill it later. Crawl is strange in that there is hardly a penalty whatsover for skipping difficult encounters. The difficulty in realizing this accounts for 90% of noob fatalities, I'd wager. Experienced players just yawn and skip to the next floor. Noobs spend all their consumables trying to kill whatever nasty it is or die. Uniques drop crap usually, don't bother. Quite early in the game though you won't have this problem with this character, since everything will be fair game for a quick dispatching.

- I will add more when I think of them so if you die and say 'Well I was following all the advice of that noob windbag on the forums to the letter' then you just got unlucky that I hadn't finished all of them.

General question that might come up - 'Why not fire elementalist?' Answer - 'Because Wiz gets max INT, which is just cool, and the Wiz spellbook can keep you alive better at the start than the elementalist one, albeit requiring a little more imagination'

BOOK OF MINOR MAGIC - SPELL ANALYSIS

This book is actually pretty great. While it may not look it at first, it has all the tools to keep you alive until you get your first decent conjuration spell, the lack of which is its only significant weakness. With the exception of slow, I make constant use of all these spells, and you can use slow if you want.

MAGIC DART - 1mp

Low damage, always hits, long range. Not bad. Will keep you going for the first few dungeon levels. Can plink almost anything to death eventually. Rather tedious. We will use another method.

BLINK - 2mp

Possibly the best spell in the game, 'pound for pound'. Useful without teleport control, overpowered with it. When you find a ring of control teleport wear it, blink becomes an almost foolproof escape spell since you can then control the general direction of your teleport.

SUMMON IMP - 2mp

This is very handy for dealing with tougher monsters in the beginning or things that are immune to poison or fire, which we will be using a lot of. Just spam away and then stay out of the way until they have finished whatever it is off.

REPEL MISSILES - 2mp

This works quite often against centaur arrows etc., which are lethal to your low HP wizard at the start. Don't be shy to hit it whenever you see something ranged eh, at range.

MEPHETIC CLOUD - 3mp

An awesomely cheesy early game spell. The description is kind of lame, but this confuses monsters based on their hit dice. The confusion is a killer, and very few monsters in the early game are immune to poison (immunity to poison grants immunity to the confuse), and even fewer resist the confusion effect. Confuse a bunch and then plink with magic dart or summon imp. You will be relying on this spell A LOT. (Makes quite a lot of noise, use with a clear path behind you). Devastatingly effective, especially when combined with..

CONJURE FLAME - 3mp

Ah, conjure flame, corridors, confused monsters, suicidal undead, brave (read stupid) uniques who will stand in fire to get a chance to hit you, it warms the heart (and your enemies). Orge in corridor coming for you. Flame in front, he stops. Flame behind, no escape. Mephetic cloud. Watch and laugh as he stumbles into the fire and dies painfully. Big crowd of fat yaks (they're COMIN RIGHT FOR US!!) Meph them. They all attack each other. Plant a few clouds of flame here and there. Go buy some buns, cheese, etc. and come back in half an hour. Buff melee-type unique coming for you with more muscles than brains. Get in corridor. Plant flame right next to you so he has to walk through it. When he walks into it stay put. He will die in a couple of turns, you won't if you're mildly careful. Works fine and easier on undead. Conjure flame deals large damage per turn in the early game.

EARLY GAME

Once at level three you should have all the spells from the book of minor magic memorized bar 'slow'. This time before you get your first decent conjuration spell is the only period in the game you won't be able to simply overpower the opposition, so a little finesse is required. The goal is to get to the temple, worship Vehument, and hopefully get lucky and find some kind of conjuration better than 'magic dart'. Before flames, this almost always happens, and if not it's straightforward, if a little tedious, to wait until vehumet's gifts.

Monsters who will ruin your day faster than a posse of sad old-hand posters on a roguelike forum

ORGE - Will one-shot you and then beat its chest with that rafter it calls a 'club' if you let it in range. Preferably use the conjure flame, mephetic cloud combo but as always leave yourself an escape behind you because meph is loud and may attract more nasties. In this category are other heavy melee hitters like iguanas.

CENTAUR - Worse than the melee crowd, its arrows are lethal to your mage with sucky HP. Don't get in a situation where it has favorable ground. Example - it's at the end of a corridor awake and you have to close to meph range. You won't make it. Just back up and approach from a different direction so that it comes into your line of sight within range of meph. Polymorph other is good for laughs on these if you're feeling adventurous. Also in this category are ELECTRIC EELS who will make you feel like Ted Bundy - no, after they caught him. Avoid them or proceed wery wery carefully.

ORC PRIEST - Will smite you like a coward from a safe range. So cheap, too afraid to close and melee like a man. Oh, wait.. Meph/Conjure combo cautiously. Usually comes with friends who you can confuse and watch kill each other.

VEHUMET

So you've reached the temple and are wondering what god to choose. The title of this section is a clue. He is the Jordan to your Pippen, the Messi to your Xavi, the Otis Toole to your Henry Lee Lucas. Vehumet is just so good. Sure, you could go with a wimpy 'safe' god like sif muna and channel mana like a girl - bah. You want to be an agent of destruction and hellfire, not a library card holder and book club member.

MP for Kills - You need MP more than anyone else, you kill more and faster than anyone else, MP for kills is good, no? This really shines in the late game.

Miscast Reduction ('aiding') - This effectively allows you to cast your big spells even earlier, and you already get them earlier in the game. I'm in lair now with orb of destruction at 1%.

Range Extension - Awesome, fry things further away.

Cost Reduction - See 'MP for Kills'

Not fearing a nerf for being too good, Vehument will also give you all the conjuration and summoning spellbooks you'll need.

*sadly flamed into oblivion before completion, apologies*
Last edited by Camcolit on Wednesday, 13th March 2013, 12:41, edited 3 times in total.

For this message the author Camcolit has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 16:27

Re: Deep Elf Wizard Guide

Your writing style reminds me of some DotA 2 guides, a boisterous and humourous style. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Given what you've written thus far, the one thing I'll point out is: meph is very loud. There are situations where casting meph is suicide. Discuss that point in your guide.

For this message the author Psieye has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 16:32

someone who relies on blink probably shouldn't be writing guides.
Last edited by absolutego on Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

For this message the author absolutego has received thanks: 2
mikee, pivotal

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 16:32

Camcolit wrote:MEPHETIC CLOUD - 3mp

An awesomely cheesy early game spell. The description is kind of lame, but this confuses monsters based on their hit dice as well as having a chance to poison them. It's the confusion that's the killer, and very few monsters in the early game are immune to poison (immunity to poison grants immunity to the confuse), and even fewer resist the confusion effect. Confuse a bunch and then plink with magic dart or summon imp. You will be relying on this spell A LOT. Devastatingly effective, especially when combined with..

*Mephitic Cloud can't poison enemies. It can deal a little damage, though.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 16:33

Camcolit wrote:The best defence is a good offence, and an even better defence is having the best offence in the game by miles. You are not going to aim to be capable of absorbing more punishment, you are going to annihilate everything before they can get within five tiles of you. This is why I think fire magic is clearly superior to ice magic for our character. Ice has some nice defensive spells but we don't plan to get damage to reduce. Firestorm is smite targeted which is a large advantage over icestorm.

You know icestorm does more damage than firestorm? Don't get me wrong I prefer firestorm too, but you make it sound like it has higher damage which it doesn't.

Camcolit wrote:pose heroically as you smash the dungeon like a boss

ftfy

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 16:38

is that boisterous and humorous

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 16:45

absolutego wrote:is that boisterous and humorous

It is highly subjective. I simply chose one interpretation and picked one way to describe said interpretation.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 16:50

oh, that was in reference to the quote directly above my post. i find strings of internet memes very tiresome, but maybe i'm just too old.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 17:35

Psieye wrote:Your writing style reminds me of some DotA 2 guides, a boisterous and humourous style. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Given what you've written thus far, the one thing I'll point out is: meph is very loud. There are situations where casting meph is suicide. Discuss that point in your guide.

What is DotA 2? Updated meph for incorrect poison info and lack of warning about noise.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 17:38

absolutego wrote:someone who relies on blink probably shouldn't be writing guides.

Actually I rely on firestorm mostly.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 17:46

Kulok the Conjurer feels a 15 rune win with multiple cleared zigs coming after a leisurely stroll to the temple with a couple of very nice book finds.

Code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.11.2 (tiles) character file.

Kulok the Conjurer (Deep Elf Wizard)               Turns: 10206, Time: 00:47:15

HP  44/44        AC  7     Str  6      XL: 9   Next:  9%
MP  28/28        EV 13     Int 25      God: Vehumet [......]
Gold 190         SH  0     Dex 13      Spells:  6 memorised,  8 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : .   p - dagger (elec)
Res.Cold  : + . .   Warding    : .   a - +0 elf robe
Life Prot.: . . .   Conserve   : +   (no shield)
Res.Poison: .       Res.Corr.  : .   z - +2 dwarf spiked helmet
Res.Elec. : .       Clarity    : .   h - +0 cloak
Sust.Abil.: . .     Spirit.Shd : .   (no gloves)
Res.Mut.  : .       Stasis     : .   B - +0 pair of boots
Res.Rott. : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .   E - amulet of conservation
Saprovore : . . .   Levitation : .   (no ring)
                    Ctrl.Flight: .   m - cursed ring of protection from cold

@: somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, stealthy
A: no striking features
a: Renounce Religion

You are in the Ecumenical Temple.
You worship Vehumet.
Vehumet is noncommittal.
You are hungry.

You have visited 2 branches of the dungeon, and seen 8 of its levels.

You have collected 287 gold pieces.
You have spent 117 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 f - a cursed short sword
 p - an uncursed dagger of electrocution (weapon)
Armour
 a - a +0 elven robe (worn)
 b - a +0 elven wizard hat
 h - a +0 cloak (worn)
 z - a +2 dwarven spiked helmet (worn)
 B - a +0 pair of boots (worn)
Magical devices
 q - a wand of random effects {empty}
Comestibles
 d - a bread ration
 D - 3 meat rations
Scrolls
 e - a scroll of enchant weapon II
 k - 2 scrolls of amnesia
 o - a scroll of enchant weapon I
 r - a scroll of remove curse
 y - 2 scrolls of teleportation
 F - a scroll of identify
Jewellery
 m - a cursed ring of protection from cold (left hand)
 w - an uncursed ring of ice
 E - an amulet of conservation (around neck)
 H - an uncursed amulet of clarity
Potions
 i - 7 potions of curing
 j - a potion of speed
 l - a sedimented inky potion
 n - a potion of cure mutation
 s - a blue potion
 t - an orange potion
 u - a potion of heal wounds
 v - a potion of magic
 x - a murky yellow potion
Books
 c - a book of Minor Magic   

Spells                             Type                      Level
   Magic Dart                         Conjuration                  1
   *Blink                             Translocation                2
   *Call Imp                          Summoning                    2
   *Repel Missiles                    Charms/Air                   2
   Slow                               Hexes                        2
   *Conjure Flame                     Conjuration/Fire             3
   *Mephitic Cloud                    Conjuration/Poison/Air       3
 g - a book of the Dragon   

Flight                             Charms/Air                   3
   Cause Fear                         Hexes                        4
   Bolt of Fire                       Conjuration/Fire             6
   Dragon Form                        Fire/Transmutation           7
   Summon Dragon                      Summoning                    9
 A - a book of Power   

*Iskenderun's Mystic Blast         Conjuration                  4
   Venom Bolt                         Conjuration/Poison           5
   Bolt of Magma                      Conjuration/Fire/Earth       5
   Poisonous Cloud                    Conjuration/Poison/Air       6
   Iron Shot                          Conjuration/Earth            6
   Orb of Destruction                 Conjuration                  7

Skills:
 + Level 3.9 Dodging
 + Level 3.9 Stealth
 + Level 1.1 Traps & Doors
 + Level 8.3 Spellcasting
 * Level 9.0 Conjurations
 + Level 1.8 Charms
 + Level 2.5 Summonings
 + Level 1.7 Translocations
 + Level 1.9 Fire Magic
 - Level 1.0 Air Magic
 + Level 1.1 Poison Magic

You have 8 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Iskenderun's Mystic   Conj           #######..    1%          4    ##.....
b - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          6%          2    None
c - Call Imp              Summ           ####......   3%          2    None
d - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       ####......   6%          2    None
e - Mephitic Cloud        Conj/Pois/Air  #####....    4%          3    None
f - Conjure Flame         Conj/Fire      ######...    1%          3    None

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (7/27)             Temple (1/1) D:7         
   Orc: D:6-11     

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
the Shining One

Shops:
D:4: [  D:7: [

Message History

You destroy the goliath beetle zombie!
There is a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple here.
You start resting.
Magic restored.
You climb downwards. Welcome to the Ecumenical Temple!
There is a staircase back to the Dungeon here.
Found a staircase back to the Dungeon.
You are feeling hungry.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
There is a radiant altar of Vehumet here.
You kneel at the altar of Vehumet.
Vehumet welcomes you!
Last edited by Camcolit on Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 17:50

Couple things:
1) [code] tags, use them
2) Edit buttons allow you to add to a message

DotA = Defense of the Ancients

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks:
Camcolit

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 17:52

Ok, thanks.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 18:11

hey look it's guide season again

oh and by the way your guide is about 6600 characters too long
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

For this message the author ebarrett has received thanks:
crate

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 18:42

Camcolit wrote:- You're a wizard, that means you don't get involved in fistfights or primitive melees with pointy things. That is for peasants with no class. If you ignore this you deserve to die, which you likely will.

I don't think I'll ever understand why so many people think crawl characters are so binary like this - is it an MMORPG thing?

Just a quick stat, for those whose goal is to win:
[14:31] <Sequell> mikee_ (wz sk=fighting|unarmed_combat) has won 6 times in 6 games (100.00%): 2xHEWz 1xCeWz 1xDsWz 1xMfWz 1xVpWz
[14:32] <Sequell> mikee_ (wz sk!=fighting|unarmed_combat) has won 4 times in 17 games (23.53%): 1xDEWz 1xDgWz 1xDrWz 1xKeWz

I think if I were to write a guide about playing wizards, I don't think I would phrase suggestions like "You have to melee" or "You have to not melee" or "Use this god" or "Don't use this god." What is probably best for new players is some information they can use to form their own playstyles, and in general I would err on the side of caution. There is no harm in not telling someone what a spell or some other feature does (they can always learn it on their own), but telling them inaccurate or biased information can make it so they have to unlearn it later. There are so many advice threads in which I want to help people, but I have no idea what they are talking about in terms of their goals and evaluations, most likely because they learned something weird and wrong somewhere else.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

For this message the author mikee has received thanks: 5
Abominae, crate, ebarrett, nicolae, pivotal

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 18:58

mikee wrote:I don't think I'll ever understand why so many people think crawl characters are so binary like this - is it an MMORPG thing?

RPG full-stop I'd say, MMO or not. Or perhaps, the nomenclature "class" is hard-wired as "this is what you are, err from it at your harm" because pretty much every well-known game out there that uses 'class' imposes that mindset, with some offering a 'class change' mechanic.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 19:23

Well it's all nice and awesome to know exactly how to melee with a caster in exactly which situations and how many skill points to put in melee skills correct to three decimal places but it's supposed to be a guide and, on balance, if you melee with a deep elf wizard without knowing exactly what you are doing chances are you'll die. If you do know exactly what you're doing, you don't need a guide. ducy?

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 19:32

Pretty much invincible already.

Code:
Kulok the Eclecticist (Deep Elf Wizard)            Turns: 24124, Time: 02:03:55

HP  57/57        AC 10     Str  6      XL: 12   Next: 81%
MP  41/49        EV 15     Int 30      God: Vehumet [*****.]
Gold 105         SH  0     Dex 13      Spells: 10 memorised,  6 levels left

Res.Fire  : + . .   See Invis. : .   q - staff of power
Res.Cold  : . . .   Warding    : .   c - +2 robe {Archmagi}
Res.Poison: .       Res.Corr.  : .   J - +0 helmet {Int+3}
Res.Elec. : .       Clarity    : .   h - +0 cloak
Sust.Abil.: . .     Spirit.Shd : .   t - +0 pair of gloves
Res.Mut.  : .       Stasis     : .   s - +2 pair of boots {Lev}
Saprovore : . . .   Levitation : .   l - ring of fire
                    Ctrl.Flight: .   m - ring of protection from cold

@: somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, quite stealthy
A: no striking features
a: Renounce Religion, Evoke Levitation

You are on level 5 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worship Vehumet.
Vehumet is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 3 branches of the dungeon, and seen 15 of its levels.
You have also visited: Ice Cave.

You have collected 570 gold pieces.
You have spent 485 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 p - an uncursed dagger of electrocution (quivered)
Armour
 a - a +0 elven buckler
 c - a +2 robe of the Archmagi (worn)
 h - a +0 cloak (worn)
 s - a +2 pair of boots of levitation (worn)
 t - a +0 pair of gloves (worn)
 J - a +0 helmet of intelligence (worn)
 K - a +2 robe of cold resistance
Magical devices
 g - a bronze wand {zapped: 1} {tried}
 B - a wand of digging {zapped: 1}
 C - a wand of lightning {zapped: 1}
 M - a wand of fireball {zapped: 1}
 P - a wand of cold {zapped: 1}
Comestibles
 f - a bread ration
 D - 2 meat rations
Scrolls
 k - 2 scrolls of amnesia
 r - 2 scrolls of remove curse
 y - 2 scrolls of teleportation
 F - 3 scrolls of identify
 I - a scroll of fog
Jewellery
 b - the ring of Secrets {Ice rPois Str+2 SInv}
   (You found it in an ice cave)   

[ring of ice]

It affects your strength (+2).
   It protects you from poison.
   It enhances your eyesight.
 l - a ring of fire (right hand)
 m - a ring of protection from cold (left hand)
Potions
 e - a fuming orange potion
 i - 4 potions of curing
 j - a potion of speed
 u - a potion of heal wounds
 v - 2 potions of magic
 L - a potion of agility
Books
 A - a book of Power   

*Iskenderun's Mystic Blast         Conjuration                  4
   Venom Bolt                         Conjuration/Poison           5
   Bolt of Magma                      Conjuration/Fire/Earth       5
   *Poisonous Cloud                   Conjuration/Poison/Air       6
   Iron Shot                          Conjuration/Earth            6
   *Orb of Destruction                Conjuration                  7
Magical staves
 d - an uncursed staff of earth
 q - an uncursed staff of power (weapon)

Skills:
 + Level 5.9 Dodging
 + Level 5.3 Stealth
 + Level 1.1 Stabbing
 + Level 1.8 Traps & Doors
 + Level 16.6 Spellcasting
 + Level 15.4 Conjurations
 + Level 2.8 Charms
 + Level 2.9 Summonings
 + Level 1.9 Translocations
 * Level 9.1 Fire Magic
 + Level 2.2 Air Magic
 + Level 1.7 Poison Magic
 + Level 1.2 Evocations

You have 6 spell levels left.

a - Bolt of Fire          Conj/Fire      #########.   1%          6    ##.....
b - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          1%          2    None
c - Call Imp              Summ           #######...   1%          2    None
d - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       #######...   1%          2    None
e - Mephitic Cloud        Conj/Pois/Air  ########.    1%          3    None
f - Conjure Flame         Conj/Fire      #########    1%          3    None
g - Flight                Chrm/Air       #######...   1%          3    None
h - Iskenderun's Mystic   Conj           #########    1%          4    None
i - Poisonous Cloud       Conj/Pois/Air  ########..   6%          6    ##.....
j - Orb of Destruction    Conj           #########.   1%          7    #####..

Branches:
Dungeon (9/27)             Temple (1/1) D:7             Orc (0/4) D:7
   Lair (6/8) D:9           Snake (0/5) Lair:5     
 Swamp: Lair:3-6    Shoals: Lair:3-6    Spider: Lair:3-6     Slime: Lair:6-8

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
the Shining One

Shops:
D:4: [  D:7: [  D:9: [

Message History

The giant slug is almost dead.
Aiming: Bolt of Fire
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f/p - giant slug
Aim: a giant slug (almost dead, retreating)
You feel a strong surge of power! The bolt of fire hits the giant slug.
You kill the giant slug!
Vehumet accepts your kill.
You feel your power returning.
A crocodile comes into view.
Aiming: Bolt of Fire
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - crocodile
Aim: a crocodile
You feel a strong surge of power! The bolt of fire hits the crocodile.
You kill the crocodile!
Vehumet accepts your kill.
You feel your power returning.
Save game and exit?
Welcome back, Kulok the Deep Elf Wizard.
Vehumet says: Let it end in hellfire!
Press ? for a list of commands and other information.

##............
  ##.............
###..............
#................
#................
#................
##...............
##...............
#P...............
##..%@...........
#................
##...............
#................
##...............
 #.../.........PP
 .......... ...PP
 .........  ...f#
    ...      .###

There are no monsters in sight!

Vanquished Creatures
  A frost giant (IceCv)
  A hydra (Lair:2)
  2 death yaks (IceCv)
  3 spiny frogs
  5 black mambas (Lair:5)
  Psyche (D:8)
  3 komodo dragons
  12 polar bears (IceCv)
  11 blink frogs
  A basilisk (Lair:2)
  A wraith (D:7)
  A wyvern (Lair:5)
  5 bumblebees (D:9)
  2 hippogriffs
  26 yaks
  A hungry ghost (D:7)
  3 orc warriors (D:8)
  3 sky beasts
  2 necrophages
  10 ice beasts
  4 ogres
  A phantom (D:9)
  9 crocodiles
  4 centaurs
  2 water moccasins (Lair:5)
  5 giant slugs
  9 giant frogs
  14 wolves (IceCv)
  2 agate snails
  A basilisk zombie (D:9)
  6 jellyfish (D:9)
  9 killer bees
  A big kobold zombie (D:7)
  6 hounds
  8 electric eels
  2 crimson imps
  13 big fish (Lair:1)
  An iguana (Lair:5)
  3 goliath beetles (D:9)
  4 orc priests
  A scorpion (Lair:2)
  5 orc wizards
  2 quasits
  A hound skeleton (D:7)
  A deep elf soldier (D:9)
  7 worker ants
  3 porcupines
  8 jellies
  A goliath beetle zombie (D:7)
  Terence (D:2)
  2 mummies (D:7)
  2 elf zombies (D:7)
  10 adders
  8 gnolls
  38 green rats
  An adder zombie (D:9)
  2 giant mites
  An iguana skeleton (D:8)
  An inept feature mimic (D:5)
  2 giant centipedes
  7 worms
  3 giant eyeballs
  A human skeleton (D:7)
  2 oozes
  30 orcs
  2 ball pythons
  27 bats
  14 giant cockroaches
  10 goblins
  18 hobgoblins
  18 kobolds
  6 quokkas
  5 giant geckos
  7 giant newts
  A giant spore (D:9)
  A hobgoblin skeleton (D:7)
  3 human zombies (D:7)
  23 jackals
  A kobold skeleton (D:4)
  2 orc zombies
  A quokka skeleton (D:9)
  23 rats
  5 ballistomycetes (D:9)
  8 fungi
  A plant (D:4)
  16 toadstools
530 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (collateral kills)
  A warg (D:2)
  A mummy (D:7)
2 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (others)
  3 elves (D:2)
  A spriggan (D:2)
  2 humans (D:2)
  2 polar bears (IceCv)
  An ogre (D:9)
  A dwarf (D:2)
  2 crimson imps (D:7)
  An adder (D:7)
  A shadow imp (D:7)
  2 orcs
  A giant cockroach (D:3)
  A goblin (D:2)
  A giant gecko (D:8)
  8 giant spores (D:9)
  A kobold (D:8)
  6 rats
  2 ballistomycetes (D:9)
  8 fungi (D:9)
  41 toadstools
85 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 617 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
--------------------------------------------------------------
     0 | D:1      | Kulok, the Deep Elf Wizard, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 8/8 MP: 7/7
   692 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 13/13 MP: 10/10
   809 | D:1      | Reached skill level 5 in Spellcasting
   843 | D:1      | Learned a level 2 spell: Blink
   846 | D:1      | Learned a level 2 spell: Call Imp
   849 | D:1      | Learned a level 2 spell: Repel Missiles
  1512 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 17/17 MP: 12/14
  2101 | D:2      | Learned a level 3 spell: Mephitic Cloud
  2107 | D:2      | Learned a level 3 spell: Conjure Flame
  2392 | D:2      | Noticed Terence
  2399 | D:2      | Killed Terence
  2399 | D:2      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 22/22 MP: 4/17
  2502 | D:2      | Noticed a warg
  2502 | D:2      | an adder changed into a warg
  2512 | D:2      | Killed a warg
  2833 | D:2      | Noticed a dwarf
  2834 | D:2      | Noticed an elf
  2835 | D:2      | Killed a dwarf
  2837 | D:2      | Found a burning altar of Makhleb.
  2837 | D:2      | Noticed an elf
  2838 | D:2      | Noticed a spriggan
  2839 | D:2      | Noticed an elf
  2839 | D:2      | Noticed a human
  2840 | D:2      | Killed a spriggan
  2841 | D:2      | Killed an elf
  2842 | D:2      | Killed an elf
  2843 | D:2      | Killed a human
  2852 | D:2      | Killed a human
  3084 | D:3      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 26/26 MP: 17/19
  3663 | D:3      | Reached skill level 1 in Air Magic
  4291 | D:4      | Found Temeyte's Antique Armour Shoppe.
  4617 | D:4      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 31/31 MP: 15/21
  4669 | D:4      | Reached skill level 1 in Charms
  4903 | D:4      | Bought a dwarven spiked helmet for 60 gold pieces
  4958 | D:4      | Reached skill level 5 in Conjurations
  5185 | D:4      | Reached skill level 1 in Traps & Doors
  5315 | D:4      | Noticed an ogre
  5323 | D:4      | Killed an ogre
  5462 | D:4      | Reached skill level 6 in Spellcasting
  5533 | D:4      | Learned a level 4 spell: Iskenderun's Mystic Blast
  5892 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  6172 | D:5      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  6178 | D:5      | the staircase to the Ecumenical Temple was a mimic.
  6251 | D:5      | Found a blossoming altar of Fedhas.
  6377 | D:5      | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
  6378 | D:5      | Noticed a glowing angel
  6391 | D:5      | Found a shattered altar of Ashenzari.
  6869 | D:6      | Reached skill level 1 in Poison Magic
  6872 | D:6      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 35/35 MP: 6/23
  7272 | D:6      | Reached skill level 1 in Fire Magic
  7971 | D:6      | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 3 turns
  8153 | D:6      | Reached skill level 7 in Conjurations
  8501 | D:7      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 40/40 MP: 10/25
  8762 | D:7      | Found Ceterph's Armour Boutique.
  8912 | D:7      | Bought a cursed +0 cloak for 29 gold pieces
  8912 | D:7      | Bought a +0 pair of boots for 28 gold pieces
  8928 | D:7      | Reached skill level 8 in Conjurations
  9146 | D:7      | Found a basalt altar of Yredelemnul.
  9151 | D:7      | Noticed a wraith
  9163 | D:7      | Killed a wraith
  9678 | D:7      | Noticed an elf zombie
  9692 | D:7      | Killed an elf zombie
  9692 | D:7      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 42/44 MP: 0/28
  9937 | D:7      | Reached skill level 9 in Conjurations
 10000 | D:7      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
 10103 | Temple   | Entered the Ecumenical Temple
 10205 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Vehumet
 10809 | D:7      | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
 11622 | D:8      | Reached skill level 10 in Conjurations
 11913 | D:8      | Acquired Vehumet's first power
 12165 | D:8      | Noticed Psyche
 12174 | D:8      | Killed Psyche
 12524 | D:8      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 46/48 MP: 26/30
 12618 | D:7      | Reached skill level 11 in Conjurations
 13140 | D:9      | Reached skill level 10 in Spellcasting
 13674 | D:9      | Acquired Vehumet's second power
 14289 | D:9      | Found an iron altar of Okawaru.
 14591 | D:9      | Learned a level 3 spell: Flight
 15401 | D:9      | Acquired Vehumet's third power
 15519 | D:9      | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 15544 | D:9      | Reached skill level 12 in Conjurations
 15926 | D:9      | Found a sparkling altar of Nemelex Xobeh.
 16089 | D:9      | Found Gabom's Antique Armour Emporium.
 16377 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 16603 | D:9      | Learned a level 6 spell: Bolt of Fire
 16608 | D:9      | Learned a level 4 spell: Iskenderun's Mystic Blast
 17501 | Lair:1   | Reached XP level 11. HP: 52/52 MP: 16/33
 17598 | D:9      | Reached skill level 13 in Conjurations
 18116 | Lair:1   | Found a deep blue altar of Sif Muna.
 18474 | Lair:1   | Acquired Vehumet's fourth power
 19038 | Lair:2   | Noticed a seven-headed hydra
 19042 | Lair:2   | Killed a seven-headed hydra
 19042 | Lair:2   | Reached skill level 5 in Stealth
 19042 | Lair:2   | Reached skill level 5 in Fire Magic
 19781 | Lair:2   | Reached skill level 14 in Conjurations
 20062 | Lair:2   | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
 20215 | Lair:2   | Found a frozen archway.
 20370 | IceCv    | Entered an ice cave
 21002 | IceCv    | Noticed a death yak
 21003 | IceCv    | Noticed a death yak
 21013 | IceCv    | Killed a death yak
 21013 | IceCv    | Reached XP level 12. HP: 57/57 MP: 13/36
 21016 | IceCv    | Killed a death yak
 21016 | IceCv    | Reached skill level 15 in Spellcasting
 21124 | IceCv    | Learned a level 6 spell: Poisonous Cloud
 21527 | IceCv    | Noticed a frost giant
 21540 | IceCv    | Reached skill level 1 in Stabbing
 21545 | IceCv    | Reached skill level 1 in Evocations
 21816 | IceCv    | Killed a frost giant
 21816 | IceCv    | Reached skill level 16 in Spellcasting
 21945 | IceCv    | Reached skill level 15 in Conjurations
 22024 | IceCv    | Got a fine glass ring
 22025 | IceCv    | Identified the ring of Secrets (You found it in an ice cave)
 22622 | Lair:2   | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
 22622 | Lair:2   | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
 22622 | Lair:2   | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
 23072 | D:7      | Bought a +2 robe of the Archmagi for 368 gold pieces
 23088 | D:7      | Learned a level 7 spell: Orb of Destruction
 23311 | Lair:3   | You fall through a shaft!
 23350 | Lair:6   | Got a shimmering leather armour
 23626 | Lair:5   | Found a staircase to the Snake Pit.
 24090 | Lair:5   | Identified the cursed -2 leather armour "Nyenexod" (You found it on level 6 of the Lair of Beasts)

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 19:38

ebarrett wrote:hey look it's guide season again

oh and by the way your guide is about 6600 characters too long

And your post is about 75 characters too long.

For this message the author Camcolit has received thanks: 4
mrbobbyg, MyOtheHedgeFox, siggboy, ZoFy

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 19:39

Camcolit wrote:
  Code:
+ Level 5.9 Dodging
+ Level 5.3 Stealth

But I thought best defence was good offence. Why are you levelling those defence skills? Wouldn't that just delay the inevitable Fire Storm "pwnage"? Aren't you afraid of spreading your XP too thin?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 19:43

It's just as wrong to say, "Don't melee ever," as it is to say, "Raise fighting to 7.6, staves to 12.4." It'd be fine to suggest that early game mages stick to killing at range, but the game's decision tree branches so much by the time you get to Lair that there are no absolutes.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 19:49

if you melee with a deep elf wizard without knowing exactly what you are doing chances are you'll die

yes, well, that's generally the case with characters in robes that have 5 dodging - your mindset is a consequence of that mistake, not a fact that should lead to making it

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 20:09

guide[2/4]: ** ** of *** guide: play, watch, listen, learn until you don't need non-human guides to help you beat random games

For this message the author claws has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2013, 23:21

Camcolit wrote:Deep elves rule, are cool, and overpowered, despite threads tending to be locked for saying so
You did nothing wrong in that thread, it probably got locked because of my incessant bickering.
It trolls you. Helpless, you fail to dodge its attack! It trolls you.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 13th March 2013, 01:27

Camcolit wrote:a couple of very nice book finds.

And you're actually continuing this character for the purpose of illustrating this guide? I'm still holding my tongue on a lot here but a guide that fails to mention options when you don't get lucky book finds isn't a guide - it's an annotated CiP.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 13th March 2013, 01:33

Wow...awful lot of snark here.

It's almost like there are some people who don't want others to enjoy the game and who don't want to help new players develop...another analogue to DotA games!

Thank you for the guide, I think that some of the criticisms, even if not made particularly nicely or constructively, are apt. For example, an early dagger of pain can and should cause you to question a no-melee playstyle, and while overall a good offense trumps a good defense, sometimes you just need to get your dodge on. I think the meta-level read on the comments are that guides are hard to write and hard rules are not often good.

Thank you for the effort!

For this message the author mrbobbyg has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 13th March 2013, 01:40

mrbobbyg wrote:Wow...awful lot of snark here.

It's almost like there are some people who don't want others to enjoy the game and who don't want to help new players develop...another analogue to DotA games!

The folks doing most of the critiquing of the original post are the blue-name counsellors who are called counsellors precisely because they make good posts intended to help new players develop and enjoy the game.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 13th March 2013, 02:22

Not to overstate the point, but there's a spectrum of constructive to non-constructive criticism. Often, the criticism on this board tends towards the non side.

I'm not going to belabor the issue, because I love this game and I appreciate the people who make it.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 13th March 2013, 02:58

Threads like "every build sucks except conjurer" and ego-driven "guides" probably do not deserve as much constructive criticism as you think. I know you and others have your little therapy group for bad posters, go around the forum thanking each others' bad posts and all, but when some of the best players - in recent occasions, this one included, probably the best player - decide to take their time (and patience) to explain clearly why something is a load of bull and you people still keep ignoring even the most constructive criticism that could have been made under any reasonably possible circumstances, then any beating you were receiving becomes fully justified.

With this in mind, some people, myself obviously included, have long chosen the path of almost never giving "standard" constructive criticism because some of you people won't ever take it anyway. Maybe it's not something you do out of ill intent, or even consciously - I guess some people are just easily impressed by verbal diarrhea, "that guy wrote ten times as many words as that other guy, he must know ten times as much", right? Either way - y'all can go back to blindly worshipping bad advice now.
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

For this message the author ebarrett has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th March 2013, 05:58

None of you has googled "camcolit".

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks: 3
cerebovssquire, ebarrett, Psieye

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 13th March 2013, 10:19

Going to post this on the wiki instead, on advice, but here is a character with firestorm at a good rate having cleared only the mines and lair. Rest of the game is trivial Q.E.D.

Code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.11.2 (tiles) character file.

Kulok the Eclecticist (Deep Elf Wizard)            Turns: 43694, Time: 03:39:02

HP  75/75        AC 14     Str 11      XL: 16   Next:  0%
MP  42/42        EV 19     Int 32      God: Vehumet [*****.]
Gold 1910        SH  0     Dex 16      Spells: 10 memorised, 10 levels left

Res.Fire  : + + .   See Invis. : .   x - +7,+10 short sword of Sudden Death {freeze
Res.Cold  : . . .   Warding    : .   c - +2 robe {Archmagi}
Res.Poison: .       Res.Corr.  : .   J - +2 helmet {Int+3}
Res.Elec. : .       Clarity    : .   G - +0 cloak {darkness}
Sust.Abil.: . .     Spirit.Shd : .   a - +2 pair of fencer's gloves {EV+3 Dex+3 Acc
Res.Mut.  : .       Stasis     : .   s - +2 pair of boots {Lev}
Saprovore : . . .   Levitation : .   l - ring of fire
                    Ctrl.Flight: .   B - ring "Leaj Plyg" {rC+ Acc+4}

@: quite resistant to hostile enchantments, quite stealthy
A: Str +1
a: Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility, Evoke Levitation

You are on level 2 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worship Vehumet.
Vehumet is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 5 branches of the dungeon, and seen 29 of its levels.
You have visited 1 bazaar.
You have also visited: Ice Cave.

You have collected 2976 gold pieces.
You have spent 1086 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 p - an uncursed dagger of electrocution (quivered)
 x - the +7,+10 short sword of Sudden Death (weapon) {freeze, rF+ Str+4}
   (You found it on level 10 of the Dungeon)   

It has been specially enchanted to freeze those struck by it, causing extra
   injury to most foes and up to double damage against particularly susceptible
   opponents. It can also slow down cold-blooded creatures.

It affects your strength (+4).
   It protects you from fire.
Armour
 a - the +2 pair of fencer's gloves (worn) {EV+3 Dex+3 Acc+8}
   (You acquired it on level 4 of the Lair of Beasts)   

It affects your evasion (+3).
   It affects your dexterity (+3).
   It affects your accuracy (+8).
 c - a +2 robe of the Archmagi (worn)
 s - a +2 pair of boots of levitation (worn)
 G - a +0 cloak of darkness (worn)
 J - a +2 helmet of intelligence (worn)
Magical devices
 o - a wand of lightning
 A - a wand of cold (9)
 F - a wand of digging (16)
 M - a wand of fireball {zapped: 1}
 P - an encrusted ivory wand
 Q - a wand of hasting (8)
Comestibles
 z - 3 royal jellies
 D - 3 meat rations
Scrolls
 f - 3 scrolls of magic mapping
 g - 4 scrolls of identify
 r - 6 scrolls of remove curse
 t - 3 scrolls of enchant weapon II
 u - 2 scrolls of enchant weapon I
 y - 5 scrolls of teleportation
 C - 2 scrolls of blinking
 I - a scroll of fog
 O - a scroll of holy word
Jewellery
 l - a ring of fire (right hand)
 m - an uncursed ring of protection from cold
 B - the ring "Leaj Plyg" (left hand) {rC+ Acc+4}
   (You took it off a wight on level 14 of the Dungeon)   

[ring of protection from cold]

It affects your accuracy (+4).
Potions
 e - a potion of restore abilities
 i - 5 potions of curing
 q - a potion of levitation
 v - 3 potions of magic
 K - a potion of heal wounds
 L - a potion of agility
 N - a potion of resistance

Skills:
 + Level 6.6 Dodging
 - Level 6.0 Stealth
 - Level 1.1 Stabbing
 + Level 3.0 Traps & Doors
 + Level 20.3 Spellcasting
 + Level 18.7 Conjurations
 + Level 3.1 Charms
   Level 2.9 Summonings
 + Level 2.4 Translocations
 * Level 17.0 Fire Magic
 - Level 2.7 Air Magic
 - Level 2.0 Poison Magic
 + Level 1.2 Evocations

You have 10 spell levels left.

a - Fire Storm            Conj/Fire      #########.   16%         9    ######.
b - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          1%          2    None
c - Bolt of Fire          Conj/Fire      #########.   1%          6    None
d - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       #######...   1%          2    None
e - Mephitic Cloud        Conj/Pois/Air  ########.    1%          3    None
f - Conjure Flame         Conj/Fire      #########    0%          3    None
g - Flight                Chrm/Air       #######...   1%          3    None
h - Iskenderun's Mystic   Conj           #########    0%          4    None
i - Poisonous Cloud       Conj/Pois/Air  ########..   2%          6    None
j - Orb of Destruction    Conj           #########.   1%          7    ##.....

Branches:
Dungeon (14/27)            Temple (1/1) D:7             Orc (4/4) D:7
    Elf (0/3) Orc:4          Lair (8/8) D:9           Swamp (2/5) Lair:5
  Snake (0/5) Lair:5        Slime (0/6) Lair:8     
Vaults: D:14-19     

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
the Shining One
Jiyva

Shops:
D:4: [  D:7: [  D:9: [  D:11: (  Orc:4: **((

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

Your muscles are strong (Str +1).

Message History

Memorise Fire Storm, consuming 9 spell levels and leaving 10?
You start memorising the spell. You continue memorising.
You continue memorising.
You finish memorising.
Items here: ::::::
You drop a book of Annihilations {god gift}.
You drop a Grand Grimoire {god gift}.
Zapping: j - a tapered wooden wand
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line
j - a wand of flame {zapped: 1}
You drop a wand of flame {zapped: 1}.

#.........# ###### ##.##
f.#########        ##.##
..f#        ###    #..##
..#####     #>#    ##.##
."###.##### #.#    ##.##
..........# #!#    #..##
P.##P####.###.#    ##.##
#.##[.........#     #.##
#.#...........#     #.##
#.##........@.#######..#
#.##.%=.::....../.....##
..#..........#.#####.###
......!.?........# ###
..............##.#
....(............#
.........#####.#.#
...............#.##
..........#....#.P#

There are no monsters in sight!

Vanquished Creatures
  A frost giant (IceCv)
  A stone giant (Orc:4)
  A dragon (D:13)
  Erica (Orc:3)
  10 hydras
  Nessos (Swamp:1)
  17 death yaks
  2 alligators (Swamp:1)
  Erolcha (Orc:4)
  A centaur warrior (D:14)
  3 catoblepae (Lair:8)
  A swamp dragon (Swamp:1)
  An unseen horror (D:14)
  2 orc knights (Orc:4)
  3 oklob plants (Lair:4)
  2 hill giants
  A cyclops (D:14)
  A griffon (Lair:6)
  Maurice (D:13)
  An elephant slug (Lair:6)
  A griffon zombie (D:14)
  A griffon skeleton (D:14)
  15 slime creatures
  5 elephants (Lair:8)
  9 spiny frogs
  6 black mambas (Lair:5)
  A spiny worm zombie (D:13)
  Psyche (D:8)
  19 ugly things
  6 trolls
  A giant leech (Swamp:1)
  5 komodo dragons
  12 polar bears (IceCv)
  A two-headed ogre (D:14)
  2 ravens (Swamp:1)
  A bog body (Swamp:2)
  3 baby alligators (Swamp:1)
  25 blink frogs
  3 basilisks
  A grizzly bear (Lair:4)
  2 wraiths
  2 wyverns
  5 bumblebees (D:9)
  9 hippogriffs
  Grum (D:12)
  71 yaks
  13 vampire mosquitoes (Swamp:1)
  3 hungry ghosts
  3 fire drakes
  2 war dogs (D:12)
  A trapdoor spider (D:12)
  9 swamp worms
  A boulder beetle (Lair:8)
  A manticore (D:14)
  6 giant goldfish
  31 orc warriors
  6 sky beasts
  3 necrophages
  A boulder beetle zombie (D:13)
  11 ice beasts
  17 ogres
  2 phantoms
  3 boring beetles
  3 swamp drakes
  15 crocodiles
  12 centaurs
  A troll skeleton (D:14)
  3 big kobolds
  13 water moccasins
  7 giant slugs
  20 giant frogs
  14 wolves (IceCv)
  11 agate snails
  A soldier ant zombie (D:13)
  A basilisk zombie (D:9)
  2 water moccasin skeletons
  8 insubstantial wisps (Swamp:1)
  A basilisk skeleton (D:13)
  10 jellyfish
  17 killer bees
  9 wights (D:14)
  2 big kobold zombies
  8 hounds
  A mottled dragon zombie (D:14)
  10 electric eels
  2 big kobold skeletons
  6 crimson imps
  15 big fish
  4 iguanas (Lair:5)
  5 goliath beetles
  22 orc priests
  A scorpion (Lair:2)
  23 orc wizards
  2 quasits
  A hound skeleton (D:7)
  An orange rat (D:10)
  A deep elf soldier (D:9)
  12 worker ants
  11 sheep
  10 porcupines
  11 jellies
  3 goliath beetle zombies
  Terence (D:2)
  2 mummies (D:7)
  2 elf zombies (D:7)
  18 adders
  8 gnolls
  47 green rats
  A shadow imp (D:10)
  An adder zombie (D:9)
  2 giant mites
  An iguana skeleton (D:8)
  An inept feature mimic (D:5)
  4 giant centipedes
  8 worms
  20 grey rats (D:10)
  3 giant eyeballs
  A human skeleton (D:7)
  7 oozes
  155 orcs
  3 ball pythons
  30 bats
  14 giant cockroaches
  13 goblins
  20 hobgoblins
  29 kobolds
  10 quokkas
  6 giant geckos
  7 giant newts
  A giant spore (D:9)
  6 grey rat zombies (D:10)
  A hobgoblin skeleton (D:7)
  A hobgoblin zombie (D:13)
  3 human zombies (D:7)
  29 jackals
  A kobold skeleton (D:4)
  3 orc zombies
  A quokka skeleton (D:9)
  48 rats
  3 rat zombies (D:10)
  5 ballistomycetes (D:9)
  2 bushes
  22 fungi
  5 plants
  44 toadstools
1261 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (collateral kills)
  A warg (D:2)
  A mummy (D:7)
2 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (others)
  3 elves (D:2)
  A spriggan (D:2)
  2 humans (D:2)
  2 polar bears (IceCv)
  An ogre (D:9)
  A dwarf (D:2)
  2 crimson imps (D:7)
  An adder (D:7)
  A giant centipede (D:12)
  A shadow imp (D:7)
  2 orcs
  A giant cockroach (D:3)
  A goblin (D:2)
  A giant gecko (D:8)
  9 giant spores
  A kobold (D:8)
  An orc zombie (D:12)
  6 rats
  3 ballistomycetes
  8 fungi (D:9)
  3 plants (Lair:8)
  164 toadstools
215 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 1478 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
--------------------------------------------------------------
     0 | D:1      | Kulok, the Deep Elf Wizard, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 8/8 MP: 7/7
   692 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 13/13 MP: 10/10
   809 | D:1      | Reached skill level 5 in Spellcasting
   843 | D:1      | Learned a level 2 spell: Blink
   846 | D:1      | Learned a level 2 spell: Call Imp
   849 | D:1      | Learned a level 2 spell: Repel Missiles
  1512 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 17/17 MP: 12/14
  2101 | D:2      | Learned a level 3 spell: Mephitic Cloud
  2107 | D:2      | Learned a level 3 spell: Conjure Flame
  2392 | D:2      | Noticed Terence
  2399 | D:2      | Killed Terence
  2399 | D:2      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 22/22 MP: 4/17
  2502 | D:2      | Noticed a warg
  2502 | D:2      | an adder changed into a warg
  2512 | D:2      | Killed a warg
  2833 | D:2      | Noticed a dwarf
  2834 | D:2      | Noticed an elf
  2835 | D:2      | Killed a dwarf
  2837 | D:2      | Found a burning altar of Makhleb.
  2837 | D:2      | Noticed an elf
  2838 | D:2      | Noticed a spriggan
  2839 | D:2      | Noticed an elf
  2840 | D:2      | Killed a spriggan
  2842 | D:2      | Killed an elf
  2843 | D:2      | Killed a human
  2852 | D:2      | Killed a human
  3084 | D:3      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 26/26 MP: 17/19
  3663 | D:3      | Reached skill level 1 in Air Magic
  4291 | D:4      | Found Temeyte's Antique Armour Shoppe.
  4617 | D:4      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 31/31 MP: 15/21
  4669 | D:4      | Reached skill level 1 in Charms
  4903 | D:4      | Bought a dwarven spiked helmet for 60 gold pieces
  4958 | D:4      | Reached skill level 5 in Conjurations
  5185 | D:4      | Reached skill level 1 in Traps & Doors
  5315 | D:4      | Noticed an ogre
  5323 | D:4      | Killed an ogre
  5462 | D:4      | Reached skill level 6 in Spellcasting
  5533 | D:4      | Learned a level 4 spell: Iskenderun's Mystic Blast
  5892 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  6172 | D:5      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  6178 | D:5      | the staircase to the Ecumenical Temple was a mimic.
  6251 | D:5      | Found a blossoming altar of Fedhas.
  6377 | D:5      | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
  6378 | D:5      | Noticed a glowing angel
  6391 | D:5      | Found a shattered altar of Ashenzari.
  6869 | D:6      | Reached skill level 1 in Poison Magic
  6872 | D:6      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 35/35 MP: 6/23
  7272 | D:6      | Reached skill level 1 in Fire Magic
  7971 | D:6      | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 3 turns
  8153 | D:6      | Reached skill level 7 in Conjurations
  8501 | D:7      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 40/40 MP: 10/25
  8762 | D:7      | Found Ceterph's Armour Boutique.
  8912 | D:7      | Bought a cursed +0 cloak for 29 gold pieces
  8912 | D:7      | Bought a +0 pair of boots for 28 gold pieces
  8928 | D:7      | Reached skill level 8 in Conjurations
  9146 | D:7      | Found a basalt altar of Yredelemnul.
  9151 | D:7      | Noticed a wraith
  9163 | D:7      | Killed a wraith
  9678 | D:7      | Noticed an elf zombie
  9692 | D:7      | Killed an elf zombie
  9692 | D:7      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 42/44 MP: 0/28
  9937 | D:7      | Reached skill level 9 in Conjurations
 10000 | D:7      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
 10103 | Temple   | Entered the Ecumenical Temple
 10205 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Vehumet
 10809 | D:7      | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
 11622 | D:8      | Reached skill level 10 in Conjurations
 11913 | D:8      | Acquired Vehumet's first power
 12165 | D:8      | Noticed Psyche
 12174 | D:8      | Killed Psyche
 12524 | D:8      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 46/48 MP: 26/30
 12618 | D:7      | Reached skill level 11 in Conjurations
 13140 | D:9      | Reached skill level 10 in Spellcasting
 13674 | D:9      | Acquired Vehumet's second power
 14289 | D:9      | Found an iron altar of Okawaru.
 14591 | D:9      | Learned a level 3 spell: Flight
 15401 | D:9      | Acquired Vehumet's third power
 15519 | D:9      | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 15544 | D:9      | Reached skill level 12 in Conjurations
 15926 | D:9      | Found a sparkling altar of Nemelex Xobeh.
 16089 | D:9      | Found Gabom's Antique Armour Emporium.
 16377 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 16603 | D:9      | Learned a level 6 spell: Bolt of Fire
 16608 | D:9      | Learned a level 4 spell: Iskenderun's Mystic Blast
 17501 | Lair:1   | Reached XP level 11. HP: 52/52 MP: 16/33
 17598 | D:9      | Reached skill level 13 in Conjurations
 18116 | Lair:1   | Found a deep blue altar of Sif Muna.
 18474 | Lair:1   | Acquired Vehumet's fourth power
 19038 | Lair:2   | Noticed a seven-headed hydra
 19042 | Lair:2   | Killed a seven-headed hydra
 19042 | Lair:2   | Reached skill level 5 in Stealth
 19042 | Lair:2   | Reached skill level 5 in Fire Magic
 19781 | Lair:2   | Reached skill level 14 in Conjurations
 20062 | Lair:2   | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
 20215 | Lair:2   | Found a frozen archway.
 20370 | IceCv    | Entered an ice cave
 21002 | IceCv    | Noticed a death yak
 21003 | IceCv    | Noticed a death yak
 21013 | IceCv    | Killed a death yak
 21013 | IceCv    | Reached XP level 12. HP: 57/57 MP: 13/36
 21016 | IceCv    | Killed a death yak
 21016 | IceCv    | Reached skill level 15 in Spellcasting
 21124 | IceCv    | Learned a level 6 spell: Poisonous Cloud
 21527 | IceCv    | Noticed a frost giant
 21540 | IceCv    | Reached skill level 1 in Stabbing
 21545 | IceCv    | Reached skill level 1 in Evocations
 21816 | IceCv    | Killed a frost giant
 21816 | IceCv    | Reached skill level 16 in Spellcasting
 21945 | IceCv    | Reached skill level 15 in Conjurations
 22024 | IceCv    | Got a fine glass ring
 22025 | IceCv    | Identified the ring of Secrets (You found it in an ice cave)
 22622 | Lair:2   | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
 22622 | Lair:2   | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
 22622 | Lair:2   | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
 23072 | D:7      | Bought a +2 robe of the Archmagi for 368 gold pieces
 23088 | D:7      | Learned a level 7 spell: Orb of Destruction
 23311 | Lair:3   | You fall through a shaft!
 23350 | Lair:6   | Got a shimmering leather armour
 23626 | Lair:5   | Found a staircase to the Snake Pit.
 24090 | Lair:5   | Identified the cursed -2 leather armour "Nyenexod" (You found it on level 6 of the Lair of Beasts)
 24427 | Lair:5   | Found a staircase to the Swamp.
 24521 | Lair:5   | Reached XP level 13. HP: 61/61 MP: 31/38
 25116 | Lair:6   | Reached skill level 10 in Fire Magic
 25962 | Lair:7   | Reached skill level 17 in Spellcasting
 26589 | Lair:7   | Got a slimy leather armour
 26600 | Lair:7   | Identified the +3 leather armour of Somewhere Else (You found it on level 7 of the Lair of Beasts)
 26827 | Lair:7   | Noticed a four-headed hydra
 26831 | Lair:7   | Killed a four-headed hydra
 27078 | Lair:4   | Noticed a seven-headed hydra
 27082 | Lair:4   | Killed a seven-headed hydra
 27362 | Lair:4   | Received a gift from Vehumet
 27420 | Lair:4   | Identified a scroll of acquirement
 28580 | Orc:1    | Entered Level 1 of the Orcish Mines
 28957 | Orc:3    | Noticed Erica
 28958 | Orc:3    | Killed Erica
 29006 | Orc:3    | Found a flickering gateway to a bazaar.
 29012 | Bazaar   | Entered a bazaar
 29012 | Bazaar   | Found Gauvvean's Antique Armour Boutique.
 29018 | Bazaar   | Found Aredghyadd's Antique Weapon Shoppe.
 29033 | Bazaar   | Found Otainob's Distillery.
 29096 | Bazaar   | Found Qeakiase's Magical Wand Boutique.
 29107 | Bazaar   | Found Quyheas' General Store.
 29149 | Bazaar   | Bought a polished trident for 285 gold pieces
 29152 | Bazaar   | Identified the +2,+5 trident "Shreinay" (You bought it in a shop in a bazaar)
 29546 | Orc:3    | Found a bloodstained altar of Trog.
 30624 | Orc:2    | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
 30905 | Orc:1    | Reached skill level 18 in Spellcasting
 31131 | Orc:4    | Entered Level 4 of the Orcish Mines
 31131 | Orc:4    | Found a staircase to the Elven Halls.
 31402 | Orc:4    | Noticed Erolcha
 31405 | Orc:4    | Killed Erolcha
 31822 | Orc:4    | Received a gift from Vehumet
 31913 | Orc:4    | Noticed a stone giant
 31915 | Orc:4    | Killed a stone giant
 32651 | Orc:4    | Reached XP level 14. HP: 66/66 MP: 39/39
 32808 | Orc:4    | Found Ghaf's Assorted Antiques.
 32808 | Orc:4    | Found Cuafuol's Weapon Emporium.
 32831 | Orc:4    | Found Smookkaf's Weapon Shoppe.
 32832 | Orc:4    | Found Zuabro's Assorted Antiques.
 33422 | Orc:4    | Bought a scroll labeled CLUHA PSECHEWN for 27 gold pieces
 33427 | Orc:4    | Bought a slimy morningstar for 243 gold pieces
 33428 | Orc:4    | Identified the +6,+4 morningstar "Xeukuil" (You bought it in a shop on level 4 of the Orcish Mines)
 33432 | Orc:4    | Bought a scroll of identify for 46 gold pieces
 33618 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 33882 | D:10     | Got a crystal short sword
 33883 | D:10     | Identified the +7,+10 short sword of Sudden Death (You found it on level 10 of the Dungeon)
 33904 | D:10     | Received a gift from Vehumet
 35185 | D:11     | Found Kimp's Antique Weapon Emporium.
 35392 | D:12     | Noticed Grum
 35394 | D:12     | Killed Grum
 36259 | D:13     | Gained mutation: Your muscles are strong (Str +1). [potion of gain strength]
 36401 | D:13     | Noticed Maurice
 36403 | D:13     | Killed Maurice
 36642 | D:13     | Reached skill level 19 in Spellcasting
 36720 | D:13     | Found a deep blue altar of Sif Muna.
 38387 | Lair:8   | Entered Level 8 of the Lair of Beasts
 38560 | Lair:8   | Received a gift from Vehumet
 38892 | Lair:8   | Found a staircase to the Slime Pits.
 38893 | Lair:8   | Found a viscous altar of Jiyva.
 38914 | Lair:8   | Reached skill level 15 in Fire Magic
 38914 | Lair:8   | Reached XP level 15. HP: 70/70 MP: 19/41
 40345 | D:14     | Entered Level 14 of the Dungeon
 40416 | D:14     | Reached skill level 20 in Spellcasting
 40988 | D:14     | Received a gift from Vehumet
 41443 | D:14     | Got a steaming glass ring
 41445 | D:14     | Identified the ring "Leaj Plyg" (You took it off a wight on level 14 of the Dungeon)
 41949 | Swamp:1  | Entered Level 1 of the Swamp
 42791 | Swamp:1  | Noticed Nessos
 42802 | Swamp:1  | Killed Nessos
 43472 | Swamp:2  | Reached XP level 16. HP: 75/75 MP: 37/42
 43667 | Lair:2   | Learned a level 9 spell: Fire Storm

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 13th March 2013, 11:34

75 hp and firestorm to 16% miscast rate is a good rate to (almost) oneshot you.

I agree you could post this on the wiki - it would be at least at same level of other, uhm...guides

(No offence meant to cerebovssquire who wrote a couple of very good ones)
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 13th March 2013, 11:58

Camcolit wrote:Q.E.D.

Regarding this usage of "Q.E.D.", I-

*deletes the rest of the post, starts again*

My words would be wasted and half of them would be inappropriate to utter in public.

*goes off to ponder on Enthusiasm Management*

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 13th March 2013, 12:39

The point is only that you can get it, and it is now at 4% fail at the very beginning of vaults without any branch endings attempted. Bolt of fire one shots everything. Pump fighting a bit if you like and I generally do, it doesn't matter - a bit of care and an extended game win is easy from here. If a guide can describe a method to win almost every game with a certain character type quite easily, why is it a rubbish guide? Frankly I'm quite surprised at all the flaming and ill-will on these forums. I really can't be bothered, adios.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 13th March 2013, 13:32

Camcolit wrote:Frankly I'm quite surprised ... I really can't be bothered
That sums up the problem. If it's any consolation, it's a common problem. Person of raw enthusiasm does not understand why there is resistance (never mind how to deal with it) and does not seek to climb out of ignorance, instead just heading off elsewhere. Note: "asking questions" is not the same as "taking up a studious stance".

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 14th March 2013, 16:19

There was no reason to gang up on him like you (plural) did. If you can see that his "raw enthusiasm" blinds him for the moment with regards to carefully explaining his ideas, then be a responsible adult and deal with it diplomatically (as a "blue poster" I think one should apply higher standards in this area than the average forum troll, e.g. myself).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 14th March 2013, 16:24

siggboy wrote:There was no reason to gang up on him like you (plural) did. If you can see that his "raw enthusiasm" blinds him for the moment with regards to carefully explaining his ideas, then be a responsible adult and deal with it diplomatically (as a "blue poster" I think one should apply higher standards in this area than the average forum troll, e.g. myself).

The diplomatic approach only works when you have reason to suspect the other person is going to listen.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th March 2013, 16:30

Camcolit wrote:Monsters who will ruin your day faster than a posse of sad old-hand posters on a roguelike forum

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 14th March 2013, 16:36

siggboy wrote:There was no reason to gang up on him like you (plural) did. ... be a responsible adult and deal with it diplomatically (as a "blue poster" I think one should apply higher standards in this area than the average forum troll, e.g. myself)

The purpose of Counsellors is to give good advice to players who seek help. It could be argued they're also there to make sure bad advice is commented and corrected on so other new players don't get led astray.

Dealing with the outbreak of "raw enthusiasm" as was the case here isn't a matter of writing a well written post or few that carefully explains some points. What was required was either "extended exposure to the world to learn how it works" or a full-time job of nurturing. "Responsible Adults" will seek compensation of some sort before embarking on such a big task, delegate or ignore the problem. "Benevolent and Altruistic Adults" are what you seek, with the further requirement that you want the subset of them who actually have diplomatic aptitude. I'd hope such irreplaceable valuable people would spend their energy on more worthwhile pursuits than trying to accelerate something that will likely happen naturally (a raw enthusiast learning to refine that enthusiasm) with no intervention, especially when it's over a computer game.

Or to sum up: "blue posters" are here to help players improve their skill at playing crawl. They are not here to augment people's Presentation, Marketing, Sales, Anger Management, Stress Mitigation, Writing and Social Awareness skills.

For this message the author Psieye has received thanks: 4
Grimm, MirrMurr, mrbobbyg, onton

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 14th March 2013, 23:25

Psieye, you are very eloquent (no irony, I'm impressed).

Sewers Scotsman

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 10:46

Psieye wrote:Presentation, Marketing, Sales, Anger Management, Stress Mitigation, Writing and Social Awareness skills.

We need new coloured titles to indicate those who are here to help people with each of those things. Limiting coloured titles to people with skills in one very narrow area (playing the game) is not a good strategy and will weaken our capacity to adapt to a changing marketplace.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 13:13

I'm gonna task you with proactively incentivising the leverageation of that.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 14:03

Do I get a coloured name for that?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 14:08

You're gonna get a coloured something in a second.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 14:10

I love it when you're angry.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 15:33

Sweet, Marketing.

Step 1: Steal somebody else's good idea
Step 2: Hire consultants to flesh out someone else's good idea
Step 3: Convene a focus group and tell them why it's a good idea
Step 4: Submit underlings' plan to implement idea
Step 5: Take all the credit yourself, or deflect all the blame to the underlings if the good idea backfires
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 19th March 2013, 19:24

Camcolit wrote:*sadly flamed into oblivion before completion, apologies*

Camcolit wrote:flamed into oblivion

you keep using that phrase

I do not think it means what you think it means
Last edited by ZipZipskins on Wednesday, 20th March 2013, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 19th March 2013, 20:29

Step 1: Steal somebody else's good idea
Step 2: Hire consultants to flesh out someone else's good idea
Step 3: Convene a focus group and tell them why it's a good idea
Step 4: Submit underlings' plan to implement idea
Step 5: Take all the credit yourself, or deflect all the blame to the underlings if the good idea backfires

This is more like Steve Jobs Guide to Success.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner