I have an idea for a roguelike. Will you help me?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 10th March 2013, 10:43

I have an idea for a roguelike. Will you help me?

I've been toying with game development for a while, even though it's not really my career path (I'm more of an embedded systems designer, working a lot with FPGAs lately for my master's project). I had some ideas for games but then again, ideas are dime a dozen! Everyone has good concepts, the difficult part is sitting down and making them work. I've coded many prototypes, and since next year is going to be much better in terms of free time (as my master's degree will be over) I think it is the best moment for getting into a project. I have a handful of friends that are good at programming that would likely team up with me, so I shouldn't be alone for the most part.

Anyway, what I'm brewing right now is a roguelike, that revolves around what I humbly think are quite innovative ways to handle user-generated content. The background and theme is something I also have fleshed out, but the strength of the idea lies on the community aspect.

Like all ideas, mine probably has a significant amount of holes and that's why I'm here: the Crawl community is full of seasoned roguelike players and developers, and I would deeply value any opinions and criticism on my concept. I wanted to make this post first to make sure at least two or three of you will give me your opinion, because making a forum post explaining the idea is going to take some effort and I didn't want to meet only TL;DR answers. Don't worry though, I'd make it to the point and readable, not unlike some of the idea posts you see at GDD.

I have shared the idea with my circle of friends and they love it; however, very few of them are actual Roguelike players (if any) so I'm not sure how someone more involved in the genre would react.

So, is anyone up to helping a fellow aspiring developer to flesh out a game idea? Should I write it down around here? I don't ask for much, just reading it and giving me your feedback.

Thanks!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 10th March 2013, 14:21

Re: I have an idea for a roguelike. Will you help me?

I'd be willing to at the least, read your idea and give feedback.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

For this message the author Jabberwocky has received thanks:
Steel Neuron

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 10th March 2013, 15:16

Thanks!

I made a PDF, which has turned out a bit bigger than expected, so don't feel forced. I'll link it here, and if you feel like checking it out, I'll be very grateful!

I tried to describe the idea as concisely as I can so that it serves as a remainder for myself too, but then again, it is just a concept so far.

there you go:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8brS1P ... sp=sharing

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 10th March 2013, 15:32

I read quickly through the pdf, and I must say the idea sounds neat!
Putting aside that "roguelike" and "action rpg" are, in my opinion, mutually exclusive terms, since roguelike implies turn-based..

The content creation/grading system is interesting, though I wonder if making it so, hmm, business-like, with Creative Points is needed. The system would work nicely without them (people voting constructively and uploading good content could get more voting power, or something, but even this is not needed).

I'm a little bit worried by the "no character progression" thing, but well, that's just different gameplay than most rpgs. If done right it could be good.

For this message the author MIC132 has received thanks:
Steel Neuron

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 10th March 2013, 16:36

MIC132 wrote:I read quickly through the pdf, and I must say the idea sounds neat!

Thank you very, very much =)

MIC132 wrote:Putting aside that "roguelike" and "action rpg" are, in my opinion, mutually exclusive terms, since roguelike implies turn-based..

You're right, I might have gotten the terminology mixed up. I guess the correct term would be Action RPG with roguelike elements.

MIC132 wrote:The content creation/grading system is interesting, though I wonder if making it so, hmm, business-like, with Creative Points is needed. The system would work nicely without them (people voting constructively and uploading good content could get more voting power, or something, but even this is not needed).

I think the Creative Points are important for a set of reasons. First, I don't want to make assumptions about the potential game community. If I expect a helpful, mature and constructive community, everything is easier, but in my opinion a good system is one that can work even in the worst of communities.

Creative Points are meant to put responsibility into the act of introducing content in the game. I believe players shouldn't be able to inject content in the game freely, because review time is a finite resource and if you don't put any sort of limit, Experimental mode would be saturated by terrible ideas and salvaging the good ones could be so hard it wouldn't be worth the effort. I want players to be personally involved on every piece they upload. On another hand, I think it's good to give a reward to players who review accurately. I first thought of giving such players a generic currency, but the perspective of making the connection "Knowledge about game ideas and their reception by the community = ability to introduce new mechanics to the game" very interesting.

Lastly, I wanted to have the creative process become part of the game experience; part of the game competition. In fact, it's embroidered in the very lore. Players are Corporations, and one of their activities is working on traps and "monsters" for the Complex. Being good at doing that should be seen as a valid in-game career. Rewarding it with points, recognition and other perks seems to me like an interesting way to enforce competitive, quality design.

MIC132 wrote:I'm a little bit worried by the "no character progression" thing, but well, that's just different gameplay than most rpgs. If done right it could be good.

I can see how that may sound a little scary. I'm hellbent on this however. I profoundly dislike levels in all RPG game experiences. I loved EvE online because, even though there is progression in that game, it's done so much more elegantly without levels. By removing experience altogether you get rid of several issues. For starters, scumming becomes less of a problem and much more manageable, because there is simply no such thing as being too strong for a given content. Second, you de-linearize the content so that players decide whether or not to tackle difficult encounters based on how they feel about the character at that moment in time, rather than an arbitrary set of numbers. Last, by removing direct character improvement it's much easier to classify threats in a statistical way as I wrote in the PDF (a Unique boss that kills 9 out of 10 characters it meets will keep getting pushed down the levels, so it's less and less likely to find it on the early game).

I want to make clear however than with "no character progression" I don't mean that you can't build an extremely powerful and effective character. Good Runner building would imply finding the adequate combination of weaponry, consumables, artifacts and software programs that cancel out each other's weaknesses and account for an effective whole. Like in DCSS, there should be an abundance of mechanics that tip your character forward in the power scale, but also sources of permanent damage (software bugs in a similar vein to mutations) so that even the strongest Runner may be harmed by the Complex to the point it must eventually retire or die.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 10th March 2013, 19:01

Steel Neuron wrote:Thanks!

I made a PDF, which has turned out a bit bigger than expected, so don't feel forced. I'll link it here, and if you feel like checking it out, I'll be very grateful!

I tried to describe the idea as concisely as I can so that it serves as a remainder for myself too, but then again, it is just a concept so far.

there you go:

Not sure if you plan on using this as real documentation - if so, the introduction sounds good but the background could use a little work. Consider the following changes:
  Code:
"Human society is now highly robotized"
Even if robotized is a word (which I doubt), it sounds a bit childish. Replace with "automated", or if automated isn't specific enough, "integrated with robots".

"Every planet to be incorporated to the ever growing empire requires..."
The sentence is technically correct (other than ever-growing needing a hyphen), but reads like a weird mixture of singular and plural. Try "Each planet to be incorporated into the ever-growing empire requires a significantly different approach, which may prove impossible due to natural phenomena or resistance by alien life."

"the different kind of threats"
kinds. At any rate you may want to replace "different kinds" with "varieties"

"massive, hollow-sphere shaped construction"
How about "massive, hollow, spherical construction"

"In order to do that"
It's more elegant to say "To this end"

"brilliant (and wicked) minds"
This is nitpicking here but I think it would be cooler to say "wickedly brilliant minds"

"to come out victorious"
Again nitpicking but consider "to emerge victorious"

"as well as the best rewards"
If there are rewards in the labyrinth you should probably explain why they are there and put them in the list of contents of the labyrinth ("all manner of traps, puzzles, and powerful robotic creatures that emulate resistance by an alien civilization.")

It sounds interesting, if I feel like it I'll read further and get back to you.

PS: I got a laugh imagining the labyrinth was powered by a caucasian midget running on a big hamster wheel (the white dwarf at the labyrinth's core :lol:)

For this message the author some12fat2move has received thanks:
Steel Neuron

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 10th March 2013, 19:04

some12fat2move wrote:
Steel Neuron wrote:Thanks!

there you go:

Not sure if you plan on using this as real documentation - if so, the introduction sounds good but the background could use a little work. Consider the following changes:
  Code:
"Human society is now highly robotized"
Even if robotized is a word (which I doubt), it sounds a bit childish. Replace with "automated", or if automated isn't specific enough, "integrated with robots".

"Every planet to be incorporated to the ever growing empire requires..."
The sentence is technically correct (other than ever-growing needing a hyphen), but reads like a weird mixture of singular and plural. Try "Each planet to be incorporated into the ever-growing empire requires a significantly different approach, which may prove impossible due to natural phenomena or resistance by alien life."

"the different kind of threats"
kinds. At any rate you may want to replace "different kinds" with "varieties"

"massive, hollow-sphere shaped construction"
How about "massive, hollow, spherical construction"

"In order to do that"
It's more elegant to say "To this end"

"brilliant (and wicked) minds"
This is nitpicking here but I think it would be cooler to say "wickedly brilliant minds"

"to come out victorious"
Again nitpicking but consider "to emerge victorious"

"as well as the best rewards"
If there are rewards in the labyrinth you should probably explain why they are there and put them in the list of contents of the labyrinth ("all manner of traps, puzzles, and powerful robotic creatures that emulate resistance by an alien civilization.")

It sounds interesting, if I feel like it I'll read further and get back to you.

PS: I got a laugh imagining the labyrinth was powered by a caucasian midget running on a big hamster wheel (the white dwarf at the labyrinth's core :lol:)

Thank you very, very much for that. This sort of feedback is what I need the most. My problem is, I'm not a native English speaker (Spanish is my mother tongue) so I'm grasping at straws when writing English.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 10th March 2013, 19:05

Thoughts.
Only having straight sideways choices sounds like it'll make it hard to increase the difficulty, as if there's no best choice, there's going to be a lot of swapping around.
Perhaps the core could generate heat, which in most places is not absorbed through the walls of the station, but in a few places the heat penetrates through the wall. Maybe have heat interfere with OS speed, or partially melting the player character if they aren't outfitted for the heat. The closer you get to the center, the more heat there is, and this could be reflected in the enemies and weapons generated. (This may not be fun, but I've been playing a lot of STALKER recently and so have been thinking about such things.)
It's interesting having the community created stuff show up for random people, but I think the drop rate and number of times that something can be dropped with a CP might have to be tweaked. The fundamental idea is good though.
Sorry that this isn't very long, but I have a busy schedule currently.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

For this message the author Jabberwocky has received thanks:
Steel Neuron

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 11th March 2013, 08:48

Thanks everybody! Wow minmay, that's a long reply, I appreciate your effort! I'll get to your points one by one; they are really interesting.

minmay wrote:Your "Creative Points" system sounds interesting except for one thing: I really, really don't think they should be awarded for playing the game, even if that happens to include rating content. The most active players and the best designers are never the same group. I have more Crawl playtime than dpeg but do you think I would be a better developer? I think your willingness to grind for points shouldn't be a factor in your "power." The fact that you were not only able but willing to use the word "farmed" while describing it is a red flag...

I see what you mean. The idea, however, is that rating only gives you so much Creative Points. The actual, sizeable source of Creative Points is actually creating good content. The necessity to get into the system by playing Experimental and Default first is just to make sure every designer has a basic grasp of the game and the type of content the community wants. Then, once two or three ideas have been taken into Default, the monthly or weekly points revenue should be much higher compared to "farming". However, all of this is debatable and should be carefully tuned to become a system in which creativity isn't suppressed, but enforced, and in which rating other people's content is desirable enough than people who wouldn't be naturally bothered to engage in that sort of gameplay will be motivated to give it a go.

minmay wrote:So I'd just get rid of that, and allow adding content to Experimental mode for free, with the option to spend points to increase its frequency. Instead of "make X copies," use a weight system, like Crawl has for vaults - when the level wants a vault, it picks one from the relevant list, and the chance of any one vault being picked is (its weight)/(total weight of all vaults in the list). So every item would start with a default weight, and you could spend points to increase it. Also, getting good and bad reviews should probably increase and decrease the weight, respectively.

I do like this idea! I think it's nice that everyone is entitled to get their content reviewed; however by paying more, you get it reviewed faster. I also like the snowball effect of positive reviews increasing the weight. Thanks!

minmay wrote:Don't worry about a lack of investment. They invested the effort to create the content in the first place. Sure there are going to be a lot of flying cock-and-balls monsters but unless you make reporting really cumbersome somehow, those users will be banned pretty fast, and you'll be recruiting moderators from the player base, so the percentage chance of an Experimental player encountering a cock-and-balls monster is going to remain near-constant regardless of the size of the player base, and if it's too high, you can always lower the default weight or the threshold for banning.

True. However, offensive content is not what concerns me the most. I'm more scared of broken content, like a vault that kills you no matter what or an item that completely destroys any semblance of balance. These may not have any bad intention by the developer, so it's not fair to ban them on those grounds. However, they need to be moderately punished so they don't release half-finished content. I guess downvotes swiftly reducing weight is a good way to do this.

minmay wrote:My other major concern is learning the game. Considering the size that you're aiming for, if you're not in Canonical (and perhaps even if you are), you're not going to see the same thing twice. How are you going to know what it does? Hiding significant information about anything is pretty obviously undesirable - if the player doesn't have a spoiler, they won't know what it does, and won't be able to actually meaningfully think of tactics. If they do have a spoiler, well, your game now has 1 minute of reading a wiki for every 5 seconds of play.
So you need to come up with a way to communicate properties in the game, without it taking a long time (1 minute of in-game reading isn't much better). This means you need to have limitations on user-made content that are perhaps tighter than you would like, in order to keep it explainable.

I guess discussing this point involves going over the interface and other game details, but I have a couple ideas in that respect. First, I thought the player should have the ability to pause the game (although its implications on multiplayer should be explored) and read the game logs. Despite being a real time game, I wanted to keep it text-based through a series of different logs such as a OS log (which reports you with your own internal status) a sensor log (that feeds you information of your surroundings) etc. Once paused, the player can take his time to read the logs, and even run some risk analysis software (which is instant in game time) to evaluate enemies in the vicinity and so on.

Any content that enters canonical should be as non-spoilery as possible. This implies detailed descriptions of the creature or item in question, reachable through direct inspection or whatever measures the player has to analyze its surroundings. Also, canonical should axe content as fast as it introduces new pieces, so the average quality always increases and the total amount is understandable.

minmay wrote:Finally, your "STRICTLY qualitative stat system" is going to be quite a pain for designers...I'm supposed to make a new gun, but I'm also not supposed to know what it does? That's going to make balancing it awfully tough. There are lots of people who enjoy playing games, roguelikes included, unspoiled, but I can't imagine wanting to develop one unspoiled.

I find this point interesting, because part of the reasoning that got me to consider only qualitative stats is making it much easier on the developers.

I'll give you an example: say you're making a gun and want to decide its weight. You could code a number in Kg, but... What would you do? How much does a robot gun weight? What is heavy and what is light in this context? Or if you happen to be from the US and used to thinking in pounds, how does that translate to Kg? Instead, having a slider with 7 states that reads "Weightless, Very light, light, medium, heavy, very heavy, extremely heavy" is, in my opinion, much more intuitive and direct.

Categories such as weapon damage can be mentally assumed to be a number for all purposes. However, the end result is more intuitive. But most importantly, what I like about qualitative stats is that they help clearly and concisely stating game mechanics. For instance, a passive may read "Your attacks with heavy melee weapons deal more damage". Heavy and More Damage would be bolded or displayed in a different colour to make it clear they're key words. Going back to the weapon design phase, by tagging it as "heavy" you can clearly picture the interactions with other game mechanics, rather than slap it some arbitrary number and hope for it to be balanced or to work nicely with future content.

minmay wrote:Other than that, it sounds pretty good, although you clearly like Diablo's interface a lot more than I do.

Thanks! About the interface... Eh, I have mixed feelings. The problem is, I have to admit the roguelike interface is something people have trouble getting into, and in a game so reliant on a healthy community, it's important to make sure it's approachable. Also, real-time makes racing more fair, I think.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 11th March 2013, 13:17

This bears some striking similarities to an RPG idea I've been thinking about for ages - namely the player and how they are upgraded. The emphasis on user-generated content is interesting but I think you might be digging a hole for yourself if this isn't done right.

Firstly, I hope you realise that the scope of what you're designing is huge - really huge - and the problem with something that starts off with a scope so big is that it will most likely get bigger once you start working out the finer details of individual systems. It might be better to focus on a smaller number of ideas and have a chance of actually getting something finished. I'm reminded of the recent RR interview with Jeff Lait - http://www.roguelikeradio.com/2013/02/episode-63-how-to-make-good-7drl-part-2.html - they were talking about 7DRLs but it's a good principle to apply to any software project with a small team and no budget that you actually want to ship one day ;)

I also think some of the ideas don't mix too well. For instance on the one hand you're talking about all upgrades being strictly horizontal, that no choices should be strictly 'better'; on the other hand you're talking about letting players design guns. I don't see any way you can marry those ideas; you can sit down and carefully design and balance a whole system of upgrades with interesting benefits and drawbacks, but you can't expect your players to do the same and strictly follow your design goals if you aren't manually moderating. (I think the "strictly horizontal" thing is kind of setting yourself an impossible design goal anyway; it's easy enough to think of a small handful of mods that would work this way, but it doesn't pan out that easily to coming up with an entire game's worth of content. Every new thing has to be checked for balance against every existing thing; this makes the design time of new items something like a factorial curve. It will also one of the things I really didn't like with Space Pirates and Zombies; everything was so finely balanced that you'd spend half the game saving up and upgrading your ship to get this awesome-sounding weapon or something, only to find that it wasn't actually any more powerful, just different. RPGs and roguelikes usually have this nice progression where by the end you're kicking the ass of stuff that was giving you trouble to begin with and there are new harder foes to deal with, and that's a satisfying reward for progress.)

The thing with user-generated content: you're going to get offensive and broken content no matter what you do. The points system means that people who want to break the system just have to grind a bit more to do so, whereas people who generally want to make good content will feel like they're constantly being punished for something they haven't done. Remember that in the initial phase the main users of this system will be your devs and playtesters. It'll take a while to build up a good enough userbase that there even is a problem with the amount of content, you can actually verify everything by hand to begin with. More over, I think there's a more general problem with a game relying on it to this extent whilst attempting to be unbroken and balanced. It works well in things like Little Big Planet or Second Life where the content isn't critical to progress. You might have to think of some way in which a player can simply skip a user-designed vault or level that's broken. Even with manual vetting it will be easy to miss something that, due to randomisation, can sometimes be broken. I don't really like the points system to tell the truth; I found it hard to understand which is a bad start already, and I think you'd be better off with a really simple ratings system and instead investing development time in making the game good. Once you have actual players and content creators and get a real picture of how the user-generated stuff is turning out you can always add more elaborate systems then.

Anyway, the core ideas are otherwise solid, I'd be interested to see things fleshed out with more specifics about character builds, what upgrades there will be, game mechanics, etc. I would like to say I could help, but I have a ton of projects and I'd quite like to get around to building my own roguelike engine at some point ;) But I'd be really happy to playtest and mess around with the content design tools (maybe design some vaults and layouts) once you get to that stage.

(Out of curiosity, what language(s) will you be building in, and are you thinking about a specific scripting language that could be used with content and map design?)

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 11th March 2013, 14:17

Thanks mumra for the feedback! It's nice to see your criticism!

mumra wrote:This bears some striking similarities to an RPG idea I've been thinking about for ages - namely the player and how they are upgraded. The emphasis on user-generated content is interesting but I think you might be digging a hole for yourself if this isn't done right.

Firstly, I hope you realise that the scope of what you're designing is huge - really huge - and the problem with something that starts off with a scope so big is that it will most likely get bigger once you start working out the finer details of individual systems. It might be better to focus on a smaller number of ideas and have a chance of actually getting something finished. I'm reminded of the recent RR interview with Jeff Lait - http://www.roguelikeradio.com/2013/02/episode-63-how-to-make-good-7drl-part-2.html - they were talking about 7DRLs but it's a good principle to apply to any software project with a small team and no budget that you actually want to ship one day ;)

Indeed. Despite the idea that most content will be player created, it's still a lot of work, but that can be said of any half-good game. I'll have to clearly define the scope of the project!

mumra wrote:I also think some of the ideas don't mix too well. For instance on the one hand you're talking about all upgrades being strictly horizontal, that no choices should be strictly 'better'; on the other hand you're talking about letting players design guns. I don't see any way you can marry those ideas; you can sit down and carefully design and balance a whole system of upgrades with interesting benefits and drawbacks, but you can't expect your players to do the same and strictly follow your design goals if you aren't manually moderating. (I think the "strictly horizontal" thing is kind of setting yourself an impossible design goal anyway; it's easy enough to think of a small handful of mods that would work this way, but it doesn't pan out that easily to coming up with an entire game's worth of content. Every new thing has to be checked for balance against every existing thing; this makes the design time of new items something like a factorial curve. It will also one of the things I really didn't like with Space Pirates and Zombies; everything was so finely balanced that you'd spend half the game saving up and upgrading your ship to get this awesome-sounding weapon or something, only to find that it wasn't actually any more powerful, just different. RPGs and roguelikes usually have this nice progression where by the end you're kicking the ass of stuff that was giving you trouble to begin with and there are new harder foes to deal with, and that's a satisfying reward for progress.)

I am having trouble getting people to understand what I mean with "no character progression", so I might have to rewrite that section of the PDF in future versions, or when I get into more detailed documentation.

What I mean with no progression is that there is no experience or levels. However, like in EvE online, certain things are stronger than others and that's just how it should be! I'm not expecting the community to design perfectly balanced gear. In fact, from the very moment I take into consideration "cursed" gear, there is stuff that is inherently bad. Similarly, powerful artifacts will be much higher in the power spectrum than base items (even though designing them with drawbacks will be encouraged) and some will be better than others.

The good thing about random drops is that individual item balance is not so crucial. In a game without permadeath, it is important to keep all mechanics in check because any character build can be reached with enough time, however in a game of these characteristics it should be possible to develop an overpowered character thanks to the right drops. This is not what I want to fight against. What I want to fight against is the artificial tiers that arise for content when you have an experience system in place. I don't want to tell players "you must be level 10 to enter this branch" but rather "you must have the adequate set of tools".

mumra wrote:The thing with user-generated content: you're going to get offensive and broken content no matter what you do. The points system means that people who want to break the system just have to grind a bit more to do so, whereas people who generally want to make good content will feel like they're constantly being punished for something they haven't done. Remember that in the initial phase the main users of this system will be your devs and playtesters. It'll take a while to build up a good enough userbase that there even is a problem with the amount of content, you can actually verify everything by hand to begin with. More over, I think there's a more general problem with a game relying on it to this extent whilst attempting to be unbroken and balanced. It works well in things like Little Big Planet or Second Life where the content isn't critical to progress. You might have to think of some way in which a player can simply skip a user-designed vault or level that's broken. Even with manual vetting it will be easy to miss something that, due to randomisation, can sometimes be broken. I don't really like the points system to tell the truth; I found it hard to understand which is a bad start already, and I think you'd be better off with a really simple ratings system and instead investing development time in making the game good. Once you have actual players and content creators and get a real picture of how the user-generated stuff is turning out you can always add more elaborate systems then.

Canonical mode should start with company-developed content, that's absolutely true, and there is no way around it. However, I don't share your pessimism about broken content, and I don't really see what you mean by "having to grind more" to introduce the stuff. The idea of having Canonical, Default and Experimental is precisely to fight that, it is supposed to prevent unverified implementation of bad content. I can imagine terrible stuff popping up in experimental, but that's precisely the point of that mode. Default should have functional yet not necessarily balanced or fun content, while Canonical keeps the best.

Most development time (after the game kicks off) should be spent managing the interface between Default and Canonical, so that player content can safely (and within balance parameters) be introduced in the competitive part of the game.

Regarding your point about skipping a vault or level that is broken: That's why in Experimental mode, ratings can be given when an item enters scope, in contrast to Default in which you get the chance when it leaves scope. In Experimental, it is possible to report a vault or a monster the very moment it starts impacting your game experience.

mumra wrote:Anyway, the core ideas are otherwise solid, I'd be interested to see things fleshed out with more specifics about character builds, what upgrades there will be, game mechanics, etc. I would like to say I could help, but I have a ton of projects and I'd quite like to get around to building my own roguelike engine at some point ;) But I'd be really happy to playtest and mess around with the content design tools (maybe design some vaults and layouts) once you get to that stage.

(Out of curiosity, what language(s) will you be building in, and are you thinking about a specific scripting language that could be used with content and map design?)

Nice to hear! I'll write more about game mechanics in the future.

I have to assume the best way to approach this project would be creating my own engine, so I'd probably go with C++ and vanilla OpenGL. No idea about the scripting language, haven't really experienced those much (as I said I'm more of a systems designer; assembly, VHDL and so on). Any ideas regarding this are welcome!

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner