Demographics of this Community

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 06:09

Demographics of this Community

Hey guys,

So I was just wondering, what exactly are our demographics? Age, ethnicity, gender, occupation, etc. And how did you start playing crawl?

I'll start off: I'm a 16 year old Asian boy who is a high school student. I started playing crawl because I got interested in rogue-likes after playing Diablo II.

Please contribute to the 1st annual DCSS Census!
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 06:23

Re: Demographics of this Community

All right:

Sex: Male
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Citizenship: Canadian
Languages spoken: English, German
Education: B.A. (International Development Studies), law degree
Family status: Married, 3 year old daughter, expecting #2
Computer platforms: Windows, Linux
DCSS versions played: Tiles, offline.
Play Crawl because: Nethack was literally the first game I ever played on a PC, in 1987. I lost interest in the later versions, and eventually discovered Dungeon Crawl which was everything I had wanted Nethack to be. And more - so much more.

I suggest we also add explanations of our user names and avatars. Mine's pretty boring - my first name (daniel) and last initial (r). My avatar until today was Richard from the webcomic Looking for Group who is some kind of lich wizard, but I changed it to Bucky Katt from the Get Fuzzy comic. Because he's like a Felid.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 07:11

Ethnicity: Asian
Citizenship: Indonesian
Languages spoken: English, Indonesian
Education: IT
Computer platform: Windows
DCSS versions played: Tiles, offline
Play Crawl because: It's challenging.
Background story as a Crawl Player: I was browsing the Internet for indie games, then I stumbled across Linley Henzel's DC. Tried it, got hooked, and here I am now.
Reason for user name: It's my first and middle name combined (Pratama Wirya).

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 07:21

Citizenship: Bulgarian
Languages spoken: Bulgarian, English
Education: Last year student in Animation
DCSS versions played: Tiles, offline
Play Crawl because: I got bored with NetHack. Also because I suspect I'm a masochist.
Background story as a Crawl Player: Played NetHack for a few years. Stopped. Played it again. Tried Angband and ADOM and sucked them even more. Found Crawl, still suck at it, but at least I manage to get a rune from time to time. Plus I like the tiles.
Reason for user name: Jenx is character/alter-ego I've used for years now. Kind got stuck as a nickname.

co

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 08:13

Citizenship: Sweden
Languages spoken: Swedish, English
Education: Currently studying for a master of science in engineering degree in computer science. (on my 4th year)
Computer platforms: Linux (I sometimes use windows for playing games, not needed for crawl though :D)
Play Crawl because: I think I found it ~5 years ago. A friend told me about this old game called rouge, after searching the net I found NetHack, which I played for a few months until I found crawl.

My avatar is the tile I made for the iron giant, a new unique in trunk.
My name "co" is the initials of my first name: "Carl-Oscar", It's also what my friends call me. Sometimes I nick as "lazydemon".

mad

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 09:53

I only have a few posts but I want to be in on this, too! I am a severe lurker and I read and watch tons of threads.

I want to say I'm impressed by all the crazy diversity around here, it's pretty sweet.

Plus I bolded all the little subheadings. If you want to keep them in yours, quote this, delete my rambling and replace it with your own.

Sex: Female
Citizenship: Australian
Languages spoken: English, French (poor to decent)
Education: Almost completed university degree in civil engineering/computer sceince
Computer platform: Windows, use Mac at work
DCSS versions played: Tiles, some ASCII
Play Crawl because: It's addicting and so much fun
Background story as a Crawl Player: I was using a linux computer in my uni's computer club about 4 or 5 years ago now (!!!), ended up on crawl. Thought it was kind of cool. Played it a little bit. Somehow ended up downloading it on my computer at home. Played ASCII religiously until my boyfriend showed me how many more features tiles has, haven't looked back. Gone back to ASCII on my netbook, but haven't relearned it yet. Became obsessed with Crawl in the last 6 months or so, particularly since I started subscribing to this forum and the subreddit.
Reason for user name: My name's Madge, go by Mad for short in some websites.
Reason for avatar: Avatar size limits were quite small on here IIRC. Had this face that I got from Reddit that was the right size, so I went with it. The emotion the face is getting across is when you laugh at someone for being stupid, which is how I am convinced Crawl feels about me.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 10:15

Citizenship: French
Languages spoken: French, English
Family: Married with 2 little boys (1 and 3 years old)
DCSS versions played: Tiles, local
Play Crawl because: It's the best roguelike ever :)
Background story as a Crawl Player: Started a year ago after getting bored with Nethack. After beating it 3 times (last one all runer), I started submitting patches in september 2010. Promoted to dev in october. I've got so much ideas to code, I barely find the time to play the game anymore.
Reason for user name: Galehar Lanaplel. Anagram of my full name.
Reason for avatar: Just some random funny tile I found among crawl's monster tiles.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 11:07

It's not the first census. ;)

http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/2009- ... #more-1098

Now, let's see... short version, not interested in the others.
Sex: Female
Citizenship: German
DCSS versions played: Tiles, local
Background story as a Crawl Player: After getting bored of NetHack, back in 2005, searched the net for other roguelikes. Found Crawl. A year later, Stonesoup was started. Exciting times! :D
Reason for user name: Based on my initials.
Reason for avatar: One of the tiles I designed.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 11:37

Citizenship: Italian
Languages spoken: English, Italian
Family status: since 23 july 2011, not married :mrgreen:
Computer platforms: Windows 7
Play Crawl because: I start playing DC cause I've got a netbook (that don't have special graphic cards) and my "wife" oblige me to stay on the couch (and don't play with my pc :P) so I start playing DC on the netbook and then ... everywhere! Wonderfull game mechanich, huge type of race-class combo, random levels ... it only needs something like a "continue count" and "set items" to be perfect!
Nick Name: it means "happy" in some far-east language :)
I'm only a shadow that is dancing in a whirlwind of white rose petals

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 13:06

Citizenship: Czech
Languages spoken: Czech, Slovak, Polish, English, German (plus the ability to curse and swear in about eight different languages (especially when Crawling ;) ))
Education & Occupation: IT
Family status: a lonesome cowboy (a lonesome Crawler, perhaps? :) )
Computer platforms: Windows XP
DCSS versions played: Trunk on CDO since mid-2009
Play Crawl because: Many, many reasons - about the most awesome roguelike ever, with a great and lively community around :)
Nick Name: Long-term ;).
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 13:17

Citizenship: USA
Languages spoken: English, High School French (Je ne pas un animal. Je suis un homme!)
Education: bachelor's in History
Computer platform: Macbook Pro
DCSS versions played: Tiles
Play Crawl because: Absolute best roguelike out there
Background story as a Crawl Player: A college friend gave me a copy of Rogue for my 286 PC back in the late 80s. When I was feeling nostalgic for it, I played it for a while on hexatron.com, but I started searching for other roguelikes last year and came across DCSS.
Reason for user name: initials plus my hometown
Reason for avatar: Belkar, the hopped-up halfling killing machine from the online comic Order of the Stick (http://www.giantitp.com/)
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 16:46

Citizenship: American, currently living in Manchester, UK
Languages spoken: English, some Spanish
Education: B.A. History, in a Masters program for Library and Information Science
Occupation: Unemployed, until recently was in property management.
Family status: Unmarried partner with my girlfriend of many years.
Computer platforms: Windows
Play Crawl because: It's a fun game, got into it after getting into roguelikes after getting into Dwarf Fortress.
Reason for my username: Joined a experimental music board and needed a name and chose a song called "boat trip" and then found out the guy who made the song posted on the forum and felt like a weird fan boy so I switched it to boatie and it became a default because nobody uses it.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 17:33

Citizenship: Irish
Education: Some high school, currently in pre-degree program for compsci, EE, physics or Biochem, undecided which!
Computer Platform: Windows 7, Linux, BSD, whatever i feel like having around
Crawl Background: Been playing roguelikes since the late 80's / early 90's when i found rogue on my family pc. Been playing many roguelikes since then, nethack, adom, loads of the smaller ones. Discovered crawl in around 2000, on the newsgroups but finished with nethack and adom first. Was very into the adom community when it was big and the disassembly was going on. Really got into crawl around 2004 as adom started dying off. Then stone soup launched and i never looked back.
DCSS Version: Trunk on cdo. lots of wizmode messing around in local console.
Username Reason: Its a shortened version of my username from WoW, Eithelonnen. Everyone called me eith so i changed it. Its an elven version of my real life name.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 25th February 2011, 14:26

Citizenship: Australian (live in the UK though)
Languages spoken: English, Japanese
Family: Live with my girlfriend, 2 child-substitute cats
DCSS versions played: linux/trunk/local - I have always played Roguelikes in ASCII mode but am charmed by the Crawl tiles.
Play Crawl because: It has all the things I've liked in games, and is constantly improving. I only have time for one video game in my hectic life, so I need one with a lot in it!
Background story as a Crawl Player: Played Nethack a lot back in the day, but after winning it a lot of times and giving up on ever seeing a new version, moved to SlashEM, didn't find it different enough, tried Angband, didn't find it varied enough, lost interest in roguelikes a bit. Years passed. Got Crawl on a whim about 7 months ago, rolled up a HEFi, blew myself up in D:3, and was instantly hooked. Won for the first time after 190-something games and feel like I'm almost getting the hang of it now :D
Reason for user name: A long time ago, on a raver forum far away... it's a long story.
Reason for avatar: C'mon. Because he's awesome. And because we covets the hattsss.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 25th February 2011, 18:31

joellercoaster wrote:2 child-substitute cats

http://news.discovery.com/animals/cats- ... gn=rssnws1

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
joellercoaster

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 25th February 2011, 21:15

Citizenship: Ukrainian
Languages spoken: Ukrainian, Russian, English (poor to decent)
Education: Law degree
Play Crawl because: Best roguelike ever. Most likely, best game ever created. :)
Background story as a Crawl Player: Found out about roguelikes couple of years ago. Found original Linleys DC - played it a bit. Tried nethack - didn't like it much. Played DF a bit. Then found out about SS and now it's only roguelike in existence for me :)
Wanted to contribute/improve Crawl so registered here to submit more tiles.
Reason for user name: My universal nickname - stole it from Morrowind NPC. Have quite interesting translation from english and latin.
Reason for avatar: My first tile I uploaded. Want to change to something else, but have not created something fitting yet.

zrn

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 26th February 2011, 04:07

I'm kinda surprised no one plays the ascii version.
Citizenship:US
Languages spoken: English
Education: 1 year at ETSU
DCSS versions played: ascii
Play Crawl because: The "played NetHack, found Crawl, never going back" thing is pretty common around here. Same for me. This game is just ridiculously fun. Sometimes I lose characters I put my heart and soul into, say I'll never play again, and literally two minutes later I'm playing again. Someday I shall beat this game.
Background story as a Crawl Player: Found out about roguelike dungeon crawls, NetHack being the first. A few years later I found DC. I can't play NH anymore. I got so close to ascending on NH, but now... I'll never do it :[
Reason for user name: ZombieRoboNinja
Why does no one play ascii?

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 26th February 2011, 04:25

My guess is that all the ASCII players do their chatting on IRC.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 26th February 2011, 09:48

I actually really like the ASCII version and will probably switch to it permanently at some point (only one of my Nethack wins was played with tiles, just to see what all the fuss was about), but the DCSS tiles are improving so much that I keep playing with them.

So, good work tiles makers! You're keeping me from my natural environment :)

mad

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 26th February 2011, 09:53

The most convenient thing about tiles is the clickable mini map. Whenever I play ASCII I always end up frustrated from using Shift+X and scrolling with the arrow keys too much.

Also, it's wonderful to see your inventory at a glance so you don't need to keep pressing i as you forget how many scrolls of blinking you had :P

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 03:08

I play the ASCII version! Which I sometimes think is weird, because I used to do a lot of pixel art. These days I don't like representational art, though. Especially for games that can get away with ASCII or something more abstract. Though, to be honest, I'm a little nonplussed with Crawl's ASCII art--in particular, the main dungeon. One of these days, I'll start poking around the source code and see if I can make it more visually interesting--even I'm the only one who'll like it.

Anyway:

Citizenship: US
Education: B.A. in Creative Writing, going to school in the fall for an MFA in Computer Science (yeah, you read that right--MFA).
Computer platform: Mac
DCSS versions played: ASCII
Play Crawl because: It's probably the only roguelike out there with a decent level of completeness and complexity without being tedious. I actually find it lacking in my two favorite playstyles, melee and stealth, but it makes up for it in many other aspects. I think the main philosophy behind the development in Crawl is great--optimal play should never be tedious.
Background story as a Crawl Player: Started playing a few years ago when my brother showed it to me, and I play it on and off. My other favorite roguelikes include Incursion and Dwarf Fortress (I love the combat system in Adventurer mode), but they're pretty incomplete and unbalanced.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 03:24

Ethnicity: White?
Citizenship: Brazilian
Languages spoken: Portuguese, Galician, English
Education: doing first year of civil engineering faculty
DCSS versions played: Mostly tiles offline, but play in online ASCII with my friends too.
Play Crawl because: Ermmm... I really don't know.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 20:35

danr wrote:My guess is that all the ASCII players do their chatting on IRC.

Not at all - some, myself included, want to rant at as many places as they can ;).
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 1st March 2011, 02:02

Citizenship: American
Languages spoken: English, German
Education:BA in Ecology (in progress)
Family status: None as of yet
DCSS versions played: TTY offline. If the Tiles window wasn't so damn huge I'd probably be more inclined to use it.
Play Crawl because: It provides a singularly unique challenge. Roguelikes can beat me on my own terms, and I can't respect that enough.
The green ugly thing basks in the mutagenic energy from your post and changes!

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 1st March 2011, 03:52

Megabass wrote:If the Tiles window wasn't so damn huge I'd probably be more inclined to use it.

There's options to reduce its size. Minimum is 800x480
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 1st March 2011, 08:55

Citizenship: English (though resident in the US)
Languages spoken: English, laughable German. Latin, if that counts as a spoken language.
Education: Degree-equivalent
Family status: Married, 3 cats, 2 rats
Computer platforms: Windows, Ubuntu
DCSS versions played: Tiles, offline/Occasional CDO, mostly waiting for 0.8 there.
Play Crawl because: Played Nethack literally to death. All classes ascended at least once, no update in seven years, getting tired of waiting for 4.0 or whatever. Discovered I actually like Crawl's interface far more.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 1st March 2011, 17:26

Wolfechu wrote:Played Nethack literally to death. All classes ascended at least once, no update in seven years, getting tired of waiting for 4.0 or whatever. Discovered I actually like Crawl's interface far more.

Snap, on all counts :)

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 1st March 2011, 20:14

Education: Masters+
Family status: Married, 3 kids, 1 dog
DCSS versions played: Offline ascii, some online CDO.
Play Crawl because: Engineer undergrad, played Angband, ZAngband, Mudded several places, Nethack for 5 or 6 years (ascended 3x) and pretty much what poster above said, tired of waiting for Nethack 4.0 and found that I love the autoexplore and dynamic search features of DCSS. Just got my first DCSS victory, Merfolk Transmuter.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 06:25

Education: Masters+
Family status: Married, 2 kids
Computer platforms: Mac
DCSS versions played: Tiles for Mac
Play Crawl because: You young whippersnappers can't conceive of the sheer delight of playing rogue for the first time on an Infoton I-100 dialed into a VAX. Or actually coding to the first version of the curses library. After years of City of Heroes and Civ, and a brief fling with Eve Online, I went looking for rogue-likes and liked what I found here.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 07:27

^ hi grandpa

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 11:49

Ethnicity: Chinese
Citizenship: Singaporean
Languages spoken: English, Mandarin
Education: Masters
Family status: single
Computer platforms: Windows, unix
DCSS versions played: ASCII on CAO (so far)
Play Crawl because: Got hooked on Moria/NetHack in the U (1980's). Was recently reminded of it and found DCSS.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 18:20

Ethnicity: White
Education: BA
Occupation: Software Engineer (specifically GWT-based webapps for the last 3 years)
Family status: Married with 2 kids (5 months and 3 years)
Computer platforms: Linux
DCSS versions played: CDO via ssh
Play Crawl because: It is the best game ever period. If my wife or kid needs me, I can immediately stand up and take care of the situation, then pick right back up where I left off. It's harder to beat (for me at least) than any other roguelike I've invested time into (Nethack and ADOM). It's a brutal game, but since games are so quick, when you die, you really haven't lost all that much.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 20:34

ohmi wrote:You young whippersnappers can't conceive of the sheer delight of playing rogue for the first time on an Infoton I-100 dialed into a VAX. Or actually coding to the first version of the curses library.

The first part, I can conceive of, if not actually replicate - as a kid, I played terminal games down a 300 baud acoustic couple modem. I know a lot of young programmers who look at me as some kind of greybeard even at my age because I started very young, but I know some genuinely brilliant programmers who are heading for sixty. I hope to be as good as them when I'm the same age, but I have a lot of catching up to do!

The second part... well. I have coded against a 1.x ncurses! I know that's not quite the same thing, but it's not bad ;)

For this message the author joellercoaster has received thanks:
Zicher

7hm

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2011, 03:24

Languages spoken: French, English
Family: gf + son (2 yrs old)
DCSS versions played: Tiles sometimes, online most of the time
Play Crawl because: It's the best roguelike ever and it has the best introduction to a roguelike ever with the best tile mode ever.
Background story as a Crawl Player: Picked it up when it was 0.5 (I think; armour wasn't crap). Have played it off and on ever since.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 5th March 2011, 06:49

Ethnicity: Chinese/English
Education: ALMOST a master's (did the research, never finished the thesis). B.Sc, B.Ed
Family status: Married, no children
Computer platforms: Ubuntu, Windows 7 for bigger games
DCSS versions played: 7.1, down to 4.0.0. ALWAYS ASCII!!!!!
Play Crawl because: I found Crawl while searching for new roguelikes. I actually started with Moria, then moved onto Nethack. Then, Crawl when it was still Linley's, then ADOM, then nethack, then Angband, then Nethack, then stone soup (where I'll probably stay :D). I might go back to Moria some day though. Somehow, the simplicity of that game still appeals to me; and it's something that I feel Angband had lost. Maybe I'll give it a go after I've done a 15 rune win.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 6th March 2011, 15:58

Citizenship: USAsian
Education: High school diploma, represent.
Family status: Living with fiance
Play Crawl because: Got an urge, was recommended by some good folks on the Fallout 2 Gamefaqs board I frequent.
Screen name explanation: I like Piers Anthony.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 17th September 2012, 02:49

Hey all, I figured I had a question I wanted to ask, though this thread is sort of similar to the concept so I figured I was use the magic of Thread Necromancy.

Anyhow, First, let's bring up the things asked in this thread of Demographics... With the one question I add onto it that I wonder about and one change to one of the demographic titles! Seeing as how this thread has been inactive for more then a year and not one every dropped a layout, you can just copy/quote this and fill it in if you wish to add to this thread.

Ethnicity:
Citizenship:
Languages spoken:
Education:
Family Status:
Computer platform:
DCSS versions played:
Play Crawl because:
Background story as a Rogue-like Player:
Reason for user name:
Reason for avatar:
First Rogue-like played

Anyhow, here's mine:

Ethnicity:
Education: Bachelor in Commerce with Major in Marketing
Family Status:
Computer platform: Windows XP Professional
DCSS versions played: 0.10.3
Play Crawl because: Detailed and depth of this Rogue-like is incomparable to most. I have yet to beat it.

Background story as a Rogue-like Player:
    Long time ago I played Castle of the Winds, Episode 1. I loved that game for the randomization of dungeons and the variety of monsters and ways to play. None of the other games could really compare with there static levels and reoccurring gameplay.
    Fast Forward to the release of Diablo II: LoD and the Diablo Battlechest, I got reintroduced to the randomization of dungeons and the variety of monsters and ways to play. Eventually after a while though I did got bored of Diablo II: LoD and decided I would look into Diablo I. Played that for a little bit because I really liked that sort of playstyle a lot more then Diablo II.
    It happened eventually after playing the Diablo series that I reminiscence about the older games I played and eventually I came across Castle of the Winds, Episode 2, now released to the Public domain. Went back and played the second episode and finally completed the game.
    I don't know when it was but sometime after CoTW2 I found a game called Monsters Den: Book of Dread on the internet. After playing that game for a bit I immediately got hooked and I jumped into playing that for a brief time.
    Recently I was getting bored and my sister's boyfriend told me about a game called Dwarf Fortress, and when I looked up on this game I noticed it had something called 'Adventure Mode'. Eventually got into Dwarf Fortress and played the Adventure Mode side of the game for a while.
    Somewhere while playing Dwarf Fortress I noticed someone playing Desktop Dungeons on Youtube. Decided to give that a try though I quickly got bored of it as the depth of gameplay wasn't that deep and the game style wasn't one that held my interest very well.
    Then after a time while watching a livestream someone mentioned the rogue-like Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Eventually after looking into this game I gave it a try, and now I'm here.
Reason for user name:
Reason for avatar:
First Rogue-like played:Castle of the Winds, Episode 1

Note if someone feels this isn't appropriate (due to the thread being old) then just split the topic and add a link to this thread I guess. Else if the demographic topic is no longer appropriate, delete the thread.
Last edited by Davion Fuxa on Monday, 17th September 2012, 14:34, edited 2 times in total.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 17th September 2012, 03:09

You speak at least one more language besides English.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 17th September 2012, 05:08

Sex: M
Citizenship: Australia
Languages spoken: English, GML, AS3, HTML, Javascript
Education: School Certificate
Computer platform: Windows 7
DCSS versions played: Tiles Offline
Play Crawl because: Do I even need a reason?
Background story as a Rogue-like Player: Discovered NH in like 2008 or 2009, it kinda blew my mind, couldn't get anywhere because the controls are confusing as hell. Picked it up again a few times, never liked it much and never got anywhere. Then, in December of 2010, I discovered ToME which was the major roguelike I came closest to winning (DAMN YOU Argoniel!!!). Months later, they changed something which irritated me so much I began to boycott it and crossed the floor to its main rival, which happened to be Crawl. And here I am.
Reason for user name: It's inspired by Neopets, which I haven't played in half a decade but I'm still never going to live down.
Reason for avatar: It's my fancharacter, Aurora <3
First Rogue-like played: Can't remember what it was called because I was like 4 at the time. It had a hunger system exactly the same as NH but a much better interface, and the tiles were sort of like ToME's old Mushroom tileset. At least, I think, maybe I'm delusional. The first one I can name was NH, much later.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 17th September 2012, 06:30

Ethnicity: White
Citizenship: dual Germany/Great Britain, currently residing in the former, moving back to Britain in a year
Languages spoken: German fluent, English fluent, Latin, French
Education: End of the year I get my Abitur (A-Level equivalent), then I'll go to a British university (English Language and Literature planned)
Third-semester Philosophy student (which I do alongside school)
Computer platform: Linux Mint (but currently battling with Arch Linux installation :P )
DCSS versions played: 0.8-0.12; also some pre-Stone Soup Crawl 4.1
Play Crawl because: uuuuh
Background story as a Rogue-like Player: first roguelike Crawl, some DoomRL, BerserkRL, Hydraslayer and Desktop Dungeons afterwards
Reason for user name: uuuuh
Reason for avatar: well it fits the name
First Rogue-like played DC:SS

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 17th September 2012, 06:46

Ethnicity: Caucasian, occasionally hedgefox
Citizenship: Russian
Languages spoken: Russian, English
Education: Soon-to-be B.Sc in Linguistics
Family status: Not married
Computer platforms: Xubuntu 12.04, Windows XP SP3
DCSS versions played: offline tiles, online Webtiles
Play Crawl because: it is more merciful and easier to understand than the other roguelikes, including Dungeons of Dredmor.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 17th September 2012, 07:05

Citizenship: United States
Languages: English, very little bits of Spanish and German.
Education: Highschool (Enrolled)
Operating System: Windows 7
DCSS Style: Tiles Offline
Reason for Playing: Bored
Roguelike History: Dwarf Fortress was my gateway drug. I like the instant pick-up-and-go of DCSS, so I stuck with it until I won.
Username History: Erm, it's just one of my pseudonyms, albeit I rarely use Deimos. Deimos is the god of Dread.
Avatar History: I like the comic it came from. Also, cats. I like cats. If you don't know what it is, it's a freaked out cat.
First Rogue-like: ADOM (briefly) and I hated it.

Eringya's Employee

Post Monday, 17th September 2012, 10:37

Citizenship: Greek
Languages spoken: Greek, English
Education: Studying Geology at the University of Athens.
Family Status: Single.
Computer platform: Windows (used to use DOS a lot early on too)
DCSS versions played: Every single one since late 0.6 trunk builds. I prefer Tiles and Webtiles.
Play Crawl because: Embrace the randomness... HINT: I play Xom quite a bit.
Background story as a Rogue-like Player: I've tried Nethack before countless times but I could never get into it 'cause... um, you know. It sucks immensely at explaining stuff to you. Also played Angband and ADOM but couldn't get into them much too. DC:SS is just so well made that I can't go back to other roguelikes. There's been much work in DC:SS to eliminate the element of tediousness through the automation of stuff like exploration, sacrificing, melee combat (TAB, oh how I love you!), auto_eat_chunks and maybe others I'm missing which only make a game more boring (at least for me) and take a player's focus away from where it should be, important fight tactics and the looting part, of course. :P
Reason for user name: I love druid lore in RPGs and shape shifting in general. Too bad there's none of the two in DC:SS. :P
Reason for avatar: Look right above.
First Rogue-like played: I'm pretty sure that was some version of Rogue but I never got into it much.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 17th September 2012, 11:09

Sex: Male.
Citizenship: Quebec, currently residing just south of the border.
Languages spoken: French, English, Latin poorly.
Education: Assorted.
Computer platform: Windows 7.
DCSS versions played: Everything since 0.6.
Play Crawl because: It's hard and has low system specs.
Background story as a Rogue-like Player: I belonged to one of Quebec's great rogueliking families. I got kicked out over surreptitiously playing NetHack.
Reason for user name: It's a verb meaning like a Jabberwock.
Reason for avatar: It's a Klown, I'm a Clown, perfect match.
First Rogue-like played: Crawl, way back in 0.6.
Last edited by Jabberwocky on Thursday, 20th December 2012, 01:31, edited 2 times in total.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 17th September 2012, 13:03

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:Family status: Not married

Eringya's Employee

Post Monday, 17th September 2012, 13:10

I hope Grimm reacts swiftly so that this topic doesn't turn into this.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 17th September 2012, 14:37

TehDruid wrote:I hope Grimm reacts swiftly so that this topic doesn't turn into this.

By the Crawl Gods, what I have I resurrected then!
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 17th September 2012, 15:26

Citizenship: USA
Languages spoken: English, Russian, a little bit of mangled Korean
Education: Bachelor's in Economics.
Family Status: Engaged
DCSS versions played: 0.8 onward
Play Crawl because: Best game design of all time. Also masochism.
Background story as a Rogue-like Player: Internet poker got killed in the US. Needed something that wasn't as soul-crushing as another MMO.
Reason for user name: truncation of "defenestrate," my favorite word.
Reason for avatar: n/a
First Rogue-like played: Diablo if it counts. Otherwise original ASCII Crawl around 2003 (I made it to lair a couple of times, started to savescum, gave up).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 17th September 2012, 15:52

O.K., I've reacted, and quite swiftly. It felt pretty good.
Next

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner