Post Friday, 22nd February 2013, 03:56

The Other Side of the Coin: Part 1

Hi. This is a diary of Daka, DemonSpawn Fighter. This is based off a run I did with said character. I'm breaking the story into a few chapters, which I'll release every few days. I hope you guys enjoy it. :D

I am Daka, and I traveled here on the whim of my new found master, Joan. She is a powerful necromancer who lives in Rhun, the dusty city. I have been serving her for 4 years now as an animal keeper. A cruel, but fair woman, she has treated me with more kindness than any of my previous owners. Until she found me, I was a fighter in the Arena. Before that, I wandered in the forests to the south. I enjoyed hunting the wild deer and savagely tearing their heads off before drinking their blood and butchering the corpse. But I shouldn't stray from the subject. My life is second to the quest which my mistress sent me on. I came to this moldy dungeon to retrieve the Orb of Zot, which went missing long ago.

“I want the Orb” she told me. “Do you want to know why, Daka?” I nodded politely and replied “Yes, mistress.”

“Well, my father used to rule Rhun with an iron fist. He controlled the Mage’s Guild and half of the bazaars and shops in the city. And he did so anyway he could. He blackmailed families, threatening to revive their ancestors and use them for his own ends. He negotiated with the Mages to ensure his place within the Guild by offering them forbidden spells. And some people he flat-out killed. But for all his power, he could not prevent his untimely death.” She looked at me with a haggard face and smiled.
“I am headed down the same path. I am only 36, but I feel much older.” She sighed and sat down on a chair made of kobold bones, her favorite. “Very soon, I will become one of the things that I have manipulated my whole life; a corpse. It’s painfully ironic….”she stared at me with her deep green eyes for a moment, and then said “I’m not ready to die yet, Daka.” She pulled out a thick, dusty blue tome from the nearest book shelf. She flipped through the pages with great dexterity, reading the pages with her fingers, it seemed. “Do you know of the Orb of Zot, Daka?” she asked me as she flipped through the pages. I thought about it.

“No, Mistress.” I answered. “What is the Orb of Zot?”

“Aha! Here it is!” she turned the book to me and showed me a picture of a purple ball with yellow veins coursing through it. “This is the Orb! It has been lost for Xom knows how long! It was placed at the bottom of the great Dungeon and its power sealed by the many runes that are found there. No one really knows exactly what it does.” She closed the book and, as she gazed into my pupils, I saw the deep sadness in her, mixed with a twinge of desperation. “ I've been good to you, haven’t I, dear Daka?” she said as she grabbed my face and pulled it closer to hers. She was one of the few people who were not repulsed by my half-demonic heritage. In fact, she seemed quite interested in me. “Yes, my Mistress.” I replied. She had been very fair to me. She even taught me how to read and write. She beat me sometimes, when my demon side manifested and I brutalized one of the livestock or when I pronounced a word wrong.

“I want you to be my champion!” she exclaimed as she threw her arms in the air. “Go to the Dungeon and find the Orb!” Without another word, I went to my room, suited up in my scale mail, took up my ax and shield and fetched a horse from the stable. Mistress Joan was waiting for me at the gate of the mansion. I stopped the horse and dismounted. She strode up to me and gave me a small journal and a writing quill.

“Practice your writing, Daka. I don’t want you to get lazy with your calligraphy just because you are leaving the mansion.”
“Thank you, Mistress. I will retrieve the Orb without fail.”
“I know you will.” She replied. Mistress Joan walked back to the mansion, and I started on my journey. I rode to the nearest dungeon entrance and set up camp for the night.

When I awoke, I saw a pesky little bat fluttering around my head. I instinctively swatted it and started walking down the corridor. Soon, I came to a room where some goblins were camping. There were three of them, two of which were fighting over some meat. I clutched my ax tighter as I peeked around the corner at my prey. I bared my fangs and rushed the goblin sitting by the fire. He turned around just in time to see my hand ax cleave his skull in two. The goblins, well aware of my presence now, ran toward me, daggers in hand. I slashed the first one twice and he died easily. His companion was a little more difficult. I blocked his first attack and parried. He shouted at me and ducked, stabbing me in the thigh. It was a minor wound, however. I cut through the goblin’s hand and punched him in the face, killing him. I took a look in the sack next to the campfire. It contained a few scrolls and some very appreciated healing potions. After the battle, I felt something growing on my skin. I was amazed when I glanced at my arms and saw they were covered in rough black scales. Anyways, I made my way to the second floor and camped so I could rest.