New Diety: Emos

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 21st February 2013, 17:49

New Diety: Emos

Emos is the diety of self loathing. He likes it when you take damage, cast Pain (and related spells), drink detrimental potions, read scrolls of immolation, etc. He dislikes it when you use any heal potions, wands, or regeneration spells. Emos refuses to accept worship from beings that cannot feel pain.

Possible Abilities --
Mirrored Cut: You cut yourself and do up to 1/2 of your current health. All creatures in sight take the same amount of damage. "Feel my Pain!"
Death Prevention: "Your suffering must continue!"
Stat Boost: The lower current health you have, the more your stats are boosted up to +15 with under 5% health left. "Suffering is good. More suffering is better."
Depression: Make everything within 3 spaces apathetic and stop moving/fighting. (Paralyze yourself for 1d6 turns, everything else 3d6 turns) "What's the point of fighting?"
Living Bomb: Make your allies kill themselves causing massive damage to everything within one space. "Your life is pointless, so is their's. Kill yourself to kill them."
It is all fun and games until Xom tosses you into the Abyss.

For this message the author Maynot has received thanks:
pratamawirya

zrn

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 21st February 2013, 18:00

Re: New Diety: Emos

CRAAAAAAAAAWLING IIIIIIIIIIN MY SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIN

For this message the author zrn has received thanks: 3
moocowmoocow, pratamawirya, TotallyWizard

Halls Hopper

Location: Inside the Lernaean Hydra's stomach (Thank god for this Amulet of rCorr)

Post Thursday, 21st February 2013, 18:11

I think the worst part is, i'm actually intrigued by this.

Obviously, some things need tweaking - "taking damage" is way too general a way to farm piety, as is casting of pain-related spells. But a god that gave you +1 piety for significant pain (anything that brings up the notice "ouch! that really hurt!", for example), and a small piety boost for learning pain/agony/excruciating wounds (and maybe a piety hit for forgetting them?) could be balanced. The abilities could use rebalancing, but overall look like stuff other gods get (Kiku's torment, TSO's divine protection, Chei's slowdown effects, etc).

Then again, this was probably just a joke thread intended for lulz potential.
Cheers, luv! The CeFi's here!

Wins: MiFi of Qaz (6 runes)

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 21st February 2013, 18:28

I was going to write about all the broken things in this proposal but yes it looks like a joke, suggest moving to CYC? If it's serious then it could do with a feature that would actually mix up how you play the game in any way ...

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 21st February 2013, 19:06

Yes it seems silly, but I did not intend for it to be a joke. Sure some things might need modification or clarification on the magnitude of effects. I will wait for more comments before refining the proposition. Maybe like the friendly critter bombs, limit the damage based on the HD that they have.
It is all fun and games until Xom tosses you into the Abyss.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 21st February 2013, 19:44

Ok sorry, it was just the name of god - around here an emo is a slang term for self-hating teenagers who like rubbish music so it seemed like a play on that ;)

The problematic things with this proposal in my assessment are:

- Gaining piety for taking damage or casting a spell is abusable because it's an action you can infinitely repeat up to full piety
- Drinking bad potions and reading immolation isn't really that interesting because you can always do it somewhere safe. Also Xom already has the monopoly on self-abuse here.
- Mirrored cut is quite literally just Torment
- Death prevention is clearly broken. There was a similar suggestion in another god proposal where the god had a chance to save you when you die. The problem is whatever the chance of being saved, it is still better play to actually avoid death than risk dying. So it would be much more interesting to have abilities that you can use intelligently to avoid death rather than actively encourage sloppy play.
- There is nothing here that really changes up how you'd play the game. If it looks like I'm going to die, I'll still heal despite the piety loss. I'm not going to go around intentionally at low health just for a stat boost - I'd rather be doing less damage at full health, there is just a bonus that you start getting more powerful if you do take damage.
- The only ability that's a bit interesting is Living Bomb but this is only of any real use to someone with endless summons i.e. necromancers and summoners, and it's very situational and awkward because you have to make sure none of your allies are stood next to you...

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 22nd February 2013, 13:56

come on people, giving serious feedback to this one reflects badly on the community as a whole
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

For this message the author ebarrett has received thanks:
pivotal

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 22nd February 2013, 14:26

ebarrett wrote:come on people, giving serious feedback to this one reflects badly on the community as a whole

Dismissiveness and scorn also reflect badly on the community as a whole.

For this message the author neil has received thanks:
ebarrett

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 22nd February 2013, 16:01

Dismissiveness and scorn are not the counterpoints that GDD needs, but the ones it deserves.
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 22nd February 2013, 17:18

This God Proposal has quite a few problems for it:

As noted it steps on the toes of a lot of other Gods - Xom, Kikubaaqudgha, and any of the Gods that already give Death Protection (Zin, The Shining One, Elyvilon, and Beogh). The Living Bomb idea is fairly constricted to Summoners or Necromancers in that you need allies to make use of your skill.

This also ignores the fact of the premise he is being built on - teenage angst - which I don't think should have a place in the game.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 22nd February 2013, 19:48

Man Crawl is supposed to be escape from the real world. Why would you want to think of emos while playing it? How about some other flavor ruining gods.

Hobos: No resting, you must move every turn or get chased away by police, but you get increased max HP from sleeping in the elements all the time. Illius: You randomly get sick and can't eat and maybe die, but you can infect monsters.

Mechanics wise, a god that gave you power for taking damage and being low HP might be kind of interesting, but in a way its like the current Chei; you would have to accept dangerous handicap to get reward. Personally I'm happy with the current pantheon.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 23rd February 2013, 16:21

ebarrett wrote:come on people, giving serious feedback to this one reflects badly on the community as a whole

No. No, it doesn't.

This forum is here for people to talk about game design, because talking about game design is fun. It helps people learn what makes games good or bad.

You can reasonably say "this idea is bad" without giving it further analysis, though that isn't particularly more helpful than making farting noises in a conversation. What you can not do, however, is say that other people should not talk about ideas you don't like. That is their sole prerogative. That is the purpose of this forum. Even discussions about "bad" ideas are signal here, not noise.

If people giving serious feedback to ideas you think are dumb makes you mad, don't read threads containing ideas you think are dumb.

Absolutely do not keep posting with this attitude; it is poisonous to this community. Stop it.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 9
byrel, Davion Fuxa, dpeg, Grimm, MIC132, mrbobbyg, neil, PostmodernBrony, Sporkman

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 23rd February 2013, 20:30

Note that the OP clarified that it wasn't a joke ~ an hour before that message was posted. It was clear by then that the OP was serious.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 16th March 2013, 00:28

i think the idea is awesome,it is kind of like the demonspawn mutation where you get a stat boost when your health is low(i once saw it in trunk,not sure if it was removed or not)but the obvious flaw would be that maximal health is alot better than +10000 stats.what good does it when a yaktaur can oneshot you?i would suggest adding such broken gods and features sporadically to the game and also hinting in the description of them that it is meant as a challenge.i mean,when they cannot be ABused,why shouldnt they be used?

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 16th March 2013, 02:14

neil wrote:

Dismissiveness and scorn also reflect badly on the community as a whole.

You mean completely independant of what is dismissed or scorned, obviously. That's the most stupid thing I read all day. If someone can mock people whom they brightly identify as having issues, I wouldn't expect them to turn around and cry when being "dismissed" for that. Boo-hoo.

But of course, let's be constructive. How about a nerd god? You know, you get piety for every turn you spent in the dungeon, that's it, and get "achievements" for every 100 points of piety above max. When you die or win, the number of achievements gets displayed so you can print it out. As a name I'd suggest Keepsemoffthestreets or something?

There you go, just as funny, but not as mediocre and petty because it's actually self-directed. You're welcome.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 16th March 2013, 02:20

njvack wrote:

No. No, it doesn't.

This forum is here for people to talk about game design, because talking about game design is fun. It helps people learn what makes games good or bad.

How about an White Power god, who gives piety when you kill "darkies"? How about the God of Wifebeating? At which point is stuff not so much about game design but rather about fucking idiocy? If this is the kind of shit that flies here, I better leave before I get settled in. Toodles.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner