Tiny Vices You Have When You Play Crawl But Can't Give Up

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 24th November 2012, 04:43

Tiny Vices You Have When You Play Crawl But Can't Give Up

I always mutation gamble. Always.

I also snort every sparkling fountain I see until it runs dry. Even when I have no curing pots.

It's imperative to my survival that I have no spell hunger at all. A hunger-less magic dart will always be more effective than a IMB at sultana hunger.
Wins: DEFE (15), HOPr (4), DsDK (3), MfGl (3), TeCj (7), HaFi (15)

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 24th November 2012, 08:05

Re: Tiny Vices You Have When You Play Crawl But Can't Give U

Holding down tab on a MiFi.

Treating every character like a MiFi.

Eringya's Employee

Post Saturday, 24th November 2012, 11:24

Saving up all my EA scrolls on Trolls/Ogres for that GDA that I'll never get before dying most of the time instead of making an FDA or something.

Acquiring Weapon or Armour on almost every combo I play. I'm just a sucker for gambling for useful pieces (cloak of preservation, boots of speed) and unrandart equipment in general.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 26th November 2012, 19:19

I always use an amulet of the gourmand when I can, even though I probably have way more than enough food than I need. It just saves me from the tedium of chunk management.

Also, many of the recent changes have made chunk management much less painful, but I still hate getting snarled in the near starving/nausea/sickness quagmire.

I also often refuse to run away from early-game challenges just for the thrill of getting a lucky kill off (Sigmund, Grinder, D:2 Ogre, etc)... More often than not, it ends up in a game restart. Similarly, I often try to tackle Spider, Shoals, and Snake in one shot rather than saving the 5th level for much later in the game. Same thing with Ice caves ... I should really get into the habit of knowing when I'm in over my head, and actually getting the hell out instead of peeking around the corner.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 27th November 2012, 09:56

Moose wrote:I always use an amulet of the gourmand when I can, even though I probably have way more than enough food than I need. It just saves me from the tedium of chunk management.
This, but also with ring of sustenance. I do like stockpiling, though I've learnt to burn through consumables without a care when I need them: permafood as "time for big magic battle" capsules took some adjusting to do.

This is also the reason why I try to clear Vestibule ASAP. I like having a portable stash from D:21 onwards. Then I will happily go rampage in Dis to farm EXP. So the pattern is: stuff face with gourmand in D, rampage in Dis until hungry, rinse and repeat. That way I'm not 'wasting chunks'.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Tuesday, 27th November 2012, 10:19

I dream of Jeannie.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 27th November 2012, 11:06

Psieye wrote:
Moose wrote:I always use an amulet of the gourmand when I can, even though I probably have way more than enough food than I need. It just saves me from the tedium of chunk management.

This, but also with ring of sustenance.

This is me. Produdes hate on this but I stack gourmand and sustenance every turn I am not in battle. As Icona Pop said, I DON'T CARE, I LOVE IT.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 27th November 2012, 22:20

Dying.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 28th November 2012, 02:38

Psieye wrote:
This, but also with ring of sustenance. I do like stockpiling, though I've learnt to burn through consumables without a care when I need them: permafood as "time for big magic battle" capsules took some adjusting to do.

This is also the reason why I try to clear Vestibule ASAP. I like having a portable stash from D:21 onwards. Then I will happily go rampage in Dis to farm EXP. So the pattern is: stuff face with gourmand in D, rampage in Dis until hungry, rinse and repeat. That way I'm not 'wasting chunks'.

Won't scumming Dis rot away a ton of HP?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th November 2012, 19:20

Grimm wrote:
Psieye wrote:

This, but also with ring of sustenance.

This is me. Produdes hate on this but I stack gourmand and sustenance every turn I am not in battle. As Icona Pop said, I DON'T CARE, I LOVE IT.

That sounds like a viable thing to do to me. The thing produdes hate is wearing that stuff in battle and so I go around telling people not to do that while doing it myself because jeez chunk management is annoying.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th November 2012, 19:42

Yeah I learned in several hard ways to be aware of what you're wearing when trouble starts. "Never bring a ring of sustenance to a knife fight" as the saying goes.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 28th November 2012, 20:32

It`s tab, it`s always tab. Tab at full skill, tab with no skill. Tab kobolds, tab pan lords. Tab in the morning, tab in the evening.

Just one more tab. Really, just this once. Once more. Just one other.

For this message the author Baldu has received thanks:
Neon

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 29th November 2012, 09:40

Grimm wrote:Yeah I learned in several hard ways to be aware of what you're wearing when trouble starts. "Never bring a ring of sustenance to a knife fight" as the saying goes.

I just almost died to Asmodeus because I was wielding a Staff of Wizardry (for casting Haste) instead of my axe. Didn't notice until after I ninja'd the rune on a lucky Blink and Teleported away.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Thursday, 29th November 2012, 09:56

Grimm wrote:Yeah I learned in several hard ways to be aware of what you're wearing when trouble starts. "Never bring a ring of sustenance to a knife fight" as the saying goes.

This is only tangentially related but does a snozzcumber train M&F or staves?

For this message the author Confidence Interval has received thanks:
Neon

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 29th November 2012, 12:17

pikkle wrote:
Psieye wrote:This is also the reason why I try to clear Vestibule ASAP. I like having a portable stash from D:21 onwards. Then I will happily go rampage in Dis to farm EXP. So the pattern is: stuff face with gourmand in D, rampage in Dis until hungry, rinse and repeat. That way I'm not 'wasting chunks'.

Won't scumming Dis rot away a ton of HP?

Not a ton, just some. You always have an excess of curing potions by that point so Dis becomes my "convert excess resources into EXP" reactor. Once I find a wand of heal wounds, all my excess recharge scrolls then get my rotted maxHP back. That or I convert to Ely temporarily.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 29th November 2012, 12:50

pikkle wrote:

I just almost died to Asmodeus because I was wielding a Staff of Wizardry (for casting Haste) instead of my axe. Didn't notice until after I ninja'd the rune on a lucky Blink and Teleported away.

Inscript enchanter staves with !a to get a prompt before attacking with them. There's probably something you can put in your init to get them auto-inscripted.

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
pikkle

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 29th November 2012, 13:41

-Look - a portal to the Abyss! Go inside. You know you want to.
-But I spent 4 hours inside already!
-Shut up and step into the portal.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 29th November 2012, 17:42

Confidence Interval wrote:

This is only tangentially related but does a snozzcumber train M&F or staves?

For most races it trains M&F, but for ogres it trains staves.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 29th November 2012, 17:43

I carry all of my chokos with me and never eat them.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 29th November 2012, 17:46

I hear they used to give bonus points when you got out of the dungeon. The more chokos, the more points you got.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 30th November 2012, 10:06

"I know I always die in O:4 and I should wait before going in, but I will just take a quick look anyway"
DCSS wins: MiFi3; GrFi3; GrFi5; MiFi15; DECj3; CeHu15; VSFi15; HOBe15; MiBe15; DgFE3; DsBe; HEMo3; NaMo15; FoFi3; GrWn15; DDFi3; MuGl3; DEFE15

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 30th November 2012, 10:15

gdami1 wrote:"I know I always die in O:4 and I should wait before going in, but I will just take a quick look anyway"

I see no problem with this, provided you run away as soon as you recognise which Orc:4 ending you got.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 30th November 2012, 10:20

Psieye wrote:
gdami1 wrote:"I know I always die in O:4 and I should wait before going in, but I will just take a quick look anyway"

I see no problem with this, provided you run away as soon as you recognise which Orc:4 ending you got.

Which I have not enough will to do...
DCSS wins: MiFi3; GrFi3; GrFi5; MiFi15; DECj3; CeHu15; VSFi15; HOBe15; MiBe15; DgFE3; DsBe; HEMo3; NaMo15; FoFi3; GrWn15; DDFi3; MuGl3; DEFE15

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner