October horror movies

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 21st October 2012, 20:51

October horror movies

Best time of the year, and to get in the spirit of Halloween, what sort of horror flicks are you guys watching? I'm a big horror movie junkie and I've seen most of the must-see, cult flicks, so I've been scouring Netflix lately and checking out some overlooked gems.

Use this thread to recommend horror movies or just talk about your favorites. Lately, I've watched the following:

SLEEPAWAY CAMP II: UNHAPPY CAMPERS
Very self-aware horror with a heavy dash of humor and intentionally corny dialogue, the sort of horror flick I don't usually enjoy, but this one was so over the top with creative death scenes that it's hard not to love it. Blood and boobs everywhere! My favorite scene is where Angela drowns that chick into the outhouse. Classy, high-brow horror! I'll give this one an 8/10

SLEEPAWAY CAMP III: TEENAGE WASTELAND
Not bad at all and much better than I expected. Never boring, full of the same trashy scenes, crude language and plenty of nudity that the second movie contained, but the murder scenes are pretty tame by comparison. A movie that's gleefully without artistic merit. The characters are all annoying and stereotypical and it's fun watching them die. 6.5/10

SORORITY HOUSE MASSACRE
Kind of a depressing flick, actually, maybe for it's slow, dreamy pace and the gloomy synth music? Dull and lifeless characters and a typical, nonsensical slasher plot. Points for lots of bloody knife killings, that's about it. 5/10

BLOODY BIRTHDAY
Pretty lame. There's no guessing game as to who the killer(s) are, as it's given away at the beginning of the movie, so what you're left with is 3 annoying kids running around killing the neighborhood in some fairly stupid ways. Best scene is where the chick takes an arrow to the eye, that was pretty good. Some nice boobs in this one, an ass shot but no bush :( . 4.5/10

I plan on watching the following tonight:

BAY OF BLOOD aka TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE
One of my alltime favorite movies, can't wait to see it in HD. It's beautifully shot with splashy colors filling the screen, total eye candy. Some very morbid scenes and creative killings, some of which were copied in Friday the 13th part II if I remember correctly. If you like slashers and you haven't seen this one yet, you're truly missing out. Great ending, too. 9/10

BLACK SUNDAY
Considered by most to be Bava's greatest work. I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never in it's entirety. Looking forward to this one...

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 22nd October 2012, 02:31

Re: October horror movies

Thankskilling is a cult classic, really underground stuff. You should check it out.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 22nd October 2012, 17:06

I'm a huge horror movie junkie, and in my search to find one of the most viscerally horrific movies, I came across "À l'intérieur":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0856288/

if you parle français or don't mind subtitles, this one is a real winner, but not for the squeamish. But if you're squeamish, why the hell are you watching horror movies?

Another one of my favorites from when I was a wee lad is "Cannibal holocaust." It's not the classic formulaic horror format, but it was groundbreaking, controversial, and the model from which the Blair Witch Project was built. Even 30 years after its creation, it still holds up very well.

And for those more into manstream horror, A Tale of two sisters, and Ringu still give a good spook.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 22nd October 2012, 18:06

I liked Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. I thought it was a humorous take on a lot of slasher tropes. And its on Netflix streaming!

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 22nd October 2012, 21:41

Moose wrote:I'm a huge horror movie junkie, and in my search to find one of the most viscerally horrific movies, I came across "À l'intérieur":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0856288/

if you parle français or don't mind subtitles, this one is a real winner, but not for the squeamish. But if you're squeamish, why the hell are you watching horror movies?

Another one of my favorites from when I was a wee lad is "Cannibal holocaust." It's not the classic formulaic horror format, but it was groundbreaking, controversial, and the model from which the Blair Witch Project was built. Even 30 years after its creation, it still holds up very well.

And for those more into manstream horror, A Tale of two sisters, and Ringu still give a good spook.

I watched Inside a few years ago and thought it was okay. I'm not really big on horror flicks after 1989, with very few exceptions. Most of what I watch is from the '70s and '80s. Recently I've had an insatiable hunger for '50s and '60s sci-fi schlock. I really dig "creature" flicks from the 80's, too... CHUD being one of my alltime favorite movies.

Cannibal Holocaust is a classic and lives up to it's reputation. I dig alot of those Italian cannibal flicks, but I have trouble sitting through the animal torture scenes. My favorite cannibal flick is Cannibal Ferox aka Make Them Die Slowly. It's a rare movie that just has absolutely no respect for the audience, a big middle finger to mankind. Just a nasty, evil, vile movie with no remorse! Love it!

A couple other movies I recommend for gorehounds: Buio Omega, Joe D'Amato's masterpiece, it's just a sick, morbid fucking film that's designed to make you puke. Also, Men Behind the Sun. Not really a horror movie, but plenty of sick and intense gore, they even used an actual child's corpse during one scene. Good stuff haha...

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 22nd October 2012, 22:44

The Cabin in the Woods was nice. Maybe not really proper horror, though. I don't watch enough horror movies to know what is universally regarded as "horror".
Last edited by Galefury on Tuesday, 23rd October 2012, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 23rd October 2012, 08:01

visitor q

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner