Unusual builds in Dungeon Sprint

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 12th February 2011, 11:57

Unusual builds in Dungeon Sprint

After I won my high-elf reaver (third win, first non-kobold) I decided to give Dungeon Sprint a try. In a commercial game, I think Sprint would probably be an unlockable bonus feature, since it is so hard (and since it would take away a good deal of joy of discovery for a new player). Winning regular crawl would be a suitable achievement for it :-)

I did read briefly about sprint on the wiki and on that roguelike newsblog, so I "know" Red Sonja is supposed to be easier with certain builds. But I don't want to play those - the whole appeal of sprint to me lies in figuring out ways to exploit advantages in unusual ways.

So I first tried an assassin, figuring the curare would be useful, and it was up to a point, but wow, did they turn up the mulch rate? Didn't get very far. Then I tried various ogres, figuring the inhabitant of room 3 would drop a useful weapon, and it did... if I could get there! Then an artificer with a wand of enslavement, great fun until they break free?

Anyone else want to share tricks from their unusual Sprint builds? (especially on Red Sonja as that's the one I've been focusing on). Anyone win a mummy yet? teehee :-)
Crazy Yiuf mutters: "Good: bonuses. Bad: Boni. Ugly: Bonii!"

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 17th February 2011, 04:24

Re: Unusual builds in Dungeon Sprint

I found Deep dwarf artificers to be very good at Red Sonja, at least for the first third of it.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 17th February 2011, 20:09

Re: Unusual builds in Dungeon Sprint

I haven't won with an unusual combo in Sprint. I think someone won with a mummy in Red Sonja, but I'm not sure. There's a small practice LP of Sprint here (OgCK of Makhleb):

http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/sh ... tcount=106

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner