Fighting games

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 10th September 2012, 02:01

Fighting games

Anyone else into them? One might think you couldn't find two more different genres, roguelikes and fighting games, they both have many things in common: most are competitive and strategic with focus on balance and replayability. I really don't play much of anything else.

The upcoming launch of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was the catalyst for this thread. It's shaping up to be one of the best fighting games to be released in the past decade with tons of content and a tuned up fighting system that's been refined and polished for 20+ years. Best of all, unlike most companies these days that have no problem nickle and diming their customers with download content, everything is free. Truly a company worthy of support.

Anyways, my xbox live name is ClawlessVictory if anybody's up for getting their ass kicked in Super Street Fighter IV :P

I'm also up for Mortal Kombat and Tekken 6.

Here's an early review in case anyone's interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... d-e0xDnfeY

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 10th September 2012, 06:06

Re: Fighting games

I've been into Guilty Gear series since more than seven years ago. Now eagerly waiting for the latest update, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R (I'm not making the name up, yes, it's ridiculously silly :P ).

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 16th September 2012, 10:55

I won several regional Street Fighter II tournaments in Japan, may many years ago, and was interviewed for some TV channel. I had a stand-up Hyper Fighting machine in my office for a while after that. But I haven't played a fighting game in at least a decade, though I thought Tekken 3 was extremely well put together.

What's good, nowadays?
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 16th September 2012, 14:40

I've been playing this one where if you fight enough monsters, you get to take on Yaktaurs.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 16th September 2012, 18:36

joellercoaster wrote:I won several regional Street Fighter II tournaments in Japan, may many years ago, and was interviewed for some TV channel. I had a stand-up Hyper Fighting machine in my office for a while after that. But I haven't played a fighting game in at least a decade, though I thought Tekken 3 was extremely well put together.

What's good, nowadays?

Well since you're into Street Fighter, Street Fighter IV is a no-brainer recommendation. It's the reason I purchased an xbox 360 and single-handedly got me back into fighting games, not having played them since Tekken 3. Having the ability to play a fighting game at any time vs. any player is a blessing... especially when there's virtually no detectable latency.

Just look how beautiful this game is, it's seriously a work of art:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ-kWvBy_Eo

Lots of people dig Marvel vs Capcom 3, but that game is too busy and just... too much for me.

Persona IV is a sound fighter, but I don't know anything about the Persona series and the fighting scene is a bit flooded right now, only so much I can focus on.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is my obsession right now. It's a top notch game, brimming with content and retains the same fighting system it's always had. But it's so damned complex and it's only gotten more so over the years and can be completely overwhelming for someone new to the series.

If you're interested, I'd be glad to help you out. Just send me a friend request on xbox live.

Jk

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 16th September 2012, 18:49

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo: The New Challengers. I only play that, because it is the most perfect game ... unless you cheat by playing Sagat ;)

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 17th September 2012, 11:18

Yeah, I played a reasonable amount of 2 Turbo; it was good fun but a lot of serious players in my area went back to Hyper Fighting for various reasons. Will give IV a look!
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 17th September 2012, 23:04

Here's a clip from one of the more recent epic matches during world championships EVO 2011. It's Daigo, legendary Japanese player, considered the best in the world by most vs a relatively unknown up-and-coming player from Korea, Poongko.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baaQVhbb ... ure=relmfu

Daigo caught some flack for using Yang, a character that was considered over powered and unbalanced. Not only does Daigo lose, he gets dominated and finished off with a PERFECT at the biggest fighting game tournament of 2011. I'd wager even if you know very little about fighting games, you can kind of get caught up in the excitement just watching this clip. That says a lot about the quality of this game.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner