Commercial use of crawl tiles

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 2nd September 2012, 06:39

Commercial use of crawl tiles

Hi guys, just stumbled opon this:
http://www.lostlabyrinth.com/index.php?p=extended_version
Are they allowed to use crawl icons and charge for their product?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 2nd September 2012, 06:50

Re: Commercial use of crawl tiles

I'm pretty sure crawl is a GPL game (can't seem to find it on the website for reference though but don't we mention that here all the time).

Thus, you should be free to redistribute copies, either with or without modifications, either gratis or charging a fee for distribution, to anyone anywhere. Being free to do these things means (among other things) that you do not have to ask or pay for permission to do so.

(from gnu.org)

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 2nd September 2012, 07:10

Also, most of the tiles are public domain. I'm not sure about the newest ones (I guess these aren't public domain), but for the older tiles (which is most of them), people are free to do as they please.

In fact, a lot of these tiles aren't even specific to Crawl. They are from the rltiles project and are used in many games.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 8th September 2012, 13:28

cerebovssquire wrote:I'm pretty sure crawl is a GPL game (can't seem to find it on the website for reference though but don't we mention that here all the time).

Thus, you should be free to redistribute copies, either with or without modifications, either gratis or charging a fee for distribution, to anyone anywhere. Being free to do these things means (among other things) that you do not have to ask or pay for permission to do so.

(from gnu.org)

Crawl uses the GPL v2 and thus is free to _use_ and _distribute_. However, you _cannot_ modify or disect it or use any parts of it _unless_ you put your new or modified code under GPL too. However, we're not talking about code but the tiles which are distributed under a different license:

evilmike wrote:Also, most of the tiles are public domain.

license.txt wrote:Public Domain|CC0: most of tiles

So, indeed both "public domain" and "creative commons" grant the right to use works for everybody and any purpose, even commercially. Since the license.txt is not precise about the licensing of all the tiles, there may or may not be some tiles that have a different license that may rule out commercial use.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner