procedurally-generated adventure game from 1988????

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 7th August 2012, 14:41

procedurally-generated adventure game from 1988????

Hello!!!!!!!!!! I recently re-discovered (played it a lot when it first came out and I was 6 years old) this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek ... l_Universe

It's procedurally-generated, pretty huge, plays like kind of an adventure/RPG hybrid, and is actually weirdly totally fun (in my opinion). I figured I'd post about it and you folks might be interested in it too at least due to the procedurally-generated part.

Looks like Abandonia's got it up for download. You probably already know the deal with abandonware and its legal status, and that's what this is. Look at those gorgeous 4-color CGA graphics!!!!!!!!!! Anyway it runs great in DOSbox so you should be able to play it on anything (I've been playing it on a Linux box).

If you're going to play this game, you probably want to have the manual to read so you have some idea of what you're doing. You can download it here.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 7th August 2012, 22:36

Re: procedurally-generated adventure game from 1988????

Okaaaaaay...
I'm waiting for the punch line...
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack!"

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 8th August 2012, 08:14

excellent! I remember another (though slightly less sophisticated) star trek game which I think was procedurally generated - was more about exploring and the occasional fight - movement was coordinate based and you'd punch in the sector you wanted to head to. was good fun in a very geeky kind of way!

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 8th August 2012, 09:06

VargrVeum wrote:excellent! I remember another (though slightly less sophisticated) star trek game which I think was procedurally generated - was more about exploring and the occasional fight - movement was coordinate based and you'd punch in the sector you wanted to head to. was good fun in a very geeky kind of way!

If you are talking about Elite, it's from 1984. :-)
My wins so far - FeBe, KoBe, DsCo, MDFi, DsBe

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 9th August 2012, 08:23

palin wrote:If you are talking about Elite, it's from 1984. :-)

Nope (although elite was classic too!)

it MAY have been Super star trek http://www.mindspring.com/~jbednorz/Strek/Strek_ANSI.gif or some version thereof - curiously fun little bit of geekery!

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner