U.S. Drought

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 06:11

U.S. Drought

Hey ya'll, thought I'd postpone my epic lurking operation for awhile! :D

How has the drought been affecting those of you who live in the US? (Feel free to comment regardless of nationality) I'm most curious to hear how those in the 'great plains' region are faring after the ridiculous heat.

We've gotten a lot of rain here in some of the northern parts of Georgia, but I've read that the hot weather has partially negated what benefit the extra moisture has given.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 06:44

Re: U.S. Drought

I've to admit to being unaware this was even a problem. Just a clueless Michigander...

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 13:42

Things aren't so bad here in the northeast corner of the country. There's much less rain than is usual, but there's enough that the pants aren't dying.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 13:44

Nothing worse than dead pants.

For this message the author Confidence Interval has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 17:28

Southern Minnesota seems to have been spared the worst of it, but on the other hand, I haven't mowed the lawn in a month. And it has definitely been hotter than I'm used to up here - much more like summers in Ohio where I grew up.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 19:21

I don't think we've had a day without rain here in Colorado in over a week. Of course all this rain shows up after the fire is dealt with.
Wins: DsFi (15 runes) x2, DsFi (4 runes) x2, MiFi (3 runes)

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 00:46

Deimos wrote:I've to admit to being unaware this was even a problem. Just a clueless Michigander...

I didn't realize it until about a week ago myself ;) . Apparently it had been on the news for awhile, but I never noticed (or looked).

christhawk wrote:Southern Minnesota seems to have been spared the worst of it, but on the other hand, I haven't mowed the lawn in a month. And it has definitely been hotter than I'm used to up here - much more like summers in Ohio where I grew up.

Other than for a good bit of rain, I've been having the exact same experience. The population of insects and reptiles where I live (next to a creek) has gone nuts as well.

SinCosTan wrote:I don't think we've had a day without rain here in Colorado in over a week. Of course all this rain shows up after the fire is dealt with.

That sucks. I think the they're are supposed to continue to get worse, too.

Here's a link to an article that goes into great detail about the fires in the U.S., and the climate change around the world. It's from an alternative news site, though. http://tinyurl.com/cb84v69

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 03:09

It's temperate and refreshing as usual here in the PNW.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 08:14

Grimm wrote:It's temperate and refreshing as usual here in the PNW.

That will be a relief following the big earthquake that levels the place.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 08:31

There's a cartoon that I can't find at the moment that has people in different parts of the US reading newspapers and congratulating themselves for not suffering the disaster another part of the US is suffering, while the local flavor of disaster takes place outside their window. It goes in a circle.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 13:11

At least you were all able to share in the disaster that was George W Bush.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 17:13

Hey have you ever read 1982, Janine?

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 17:25

Grimm wrote:Hey have you ever read 1982, Janine?

Isn't that, like, the prequel to 1984? :mrgreen:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 17:31

Pretty much.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 17:55

Grimm wrote:There's a cartoon that I can't find at the moment that has people in different parts of the US reading newspapers and congratulating themselves for not suffering the disaster another part of the US is suffering, while the local flavor of disaster takes place outside their window. It goes in a circle.

That's not parody, by the way. That's honest to god slice of life what we do. I've had that conversation a hundred times, easy.

I'll take my deadly snowstorms, noreasters, crippling ice storms, power outages and piddling hurricanes over your massive fires, earthquakes, mudslides, tornadoes, significant hurricanes, and drought blightened crops.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 17:59

It's a deal!

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 18:53

Gulf Coast here. It has been raining almost every day for the past month. I have a crappy sweaty job so it ha been a mixed blessing. On one hand it's a lot nicer when it is overcast, on the other hand it is humid as hell on the days it doesn't rain. Oh wellz.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 19:48

Grimm wrote:Hey have you ever read 1982, Janine?

No, though I've read some of his other work. His masterpiece, as you perhaps know, is considered to be Lanark - and it is, indeed, good.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 22:54

Grimm wrote:Pretty much.

Lol! I had to look it up. Whenever anyone mentions the previous administration, I always find myself thinking about 1984, for some reason. :twisted:

On topic, I've been in Tennessee for several years and this is the hottest by a long way. We don't often get over 100F, but we recently had about a week continuously, and that broke a lot of records. Then last year there was a hailstorm that trashed everyone's cars and roofs. :-) Predictions are that food prices will increase a few percent. Not a major problem for the US, unless it happens again next year. And as an aside, that increase is being used by people who want to point to all inflation as evidence of fiscal problems.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 4th August 2012, 03:55

Confidence Interval wrote:No, though I've read some of his other work. His masterpiece, as you perhaps know, is considered to be Lanark - and it is, indeed, good.

I've only read 1982, Janine, but that was so surpassing good that I believe I shall shortlist Lanark. After Muir that'll be a Caledonian doubleheader.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 4th August 2012, 04:51

mageykun wrote:I'll take my deadly snowstorms, noreasters, crippling ice storms, power outages and piddling hurricanes over your massive fires, earthquakes, mudslides, tornadoes, significant hurricanes, and drought blightened crops.

Grimm wrote:It's a deal!

Less than 12 hours later, and my power has gone out. (Yay for generators).

I hope you're enjoying your fire, earthquake, mudslide, hurricane, or crop blight, Grimm.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 4th August 2012, 05:08

I wish I could set your mind at ease but I'm afraid I just enjoyed yet another lovely sunny evening, with exactly the right touch of breeze. It's supposed to be an unpleasant 98 F tomorrow, but only for a day, cooling sensibly back down to 78 F by next Wednesday. I am so sorry.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Saturday, 4th August 2012, 18:20

Grimm wrote:
Confidence Interval wrote:No, though I've read some of his other work. His masterpiece, as you perhaps know, is considered to be Lanark - and it is, indeed, good.

I've only read 1982, Janine, but that was so surpassing good that I believe I shall shortlist Lanark. After Muir that'll be a Caledonian doubleheader.

I can recommend more if you feel like continuing your streak after that.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 4th August 2012, 18:23

Please do.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Sunday, 5th August 2012, 08:50

Well, Trainspotting is worth reading. The social commentary is much more apparent than in the film version, with which you may be familiar - for example, in the chapter entitled (from memory) "Trainspotting at Leith Central Station", which contains the implicit explanation for the title of the book. I don't know how penetrable the dialogue is to a non-native but I imagine you would get the hang of it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 6th August 2012, 08:33

Yeah I read his masterful "Disnae Matter" when it appeared in The Baffler years (and years) ago and found its meaning clear.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Tuesday, 7th August 2012, 15:14

Trainspotting is pretty similar in general tone but lasts for a whole novel. I think, from the mixed reviews of what came later, it's probably the best of his book-length work.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 7th August 2012, 20:28

James Kelman is my favourite modern Scottish author. Try Bus Conductor Hines or A Disaffection. He writes in Glaswegian vernacular, which can be a bit impenetrable, but his powerful humanism shines through.

Gray's short stories are ace btw.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 7th August 2012, 21:10

I was going to make a comedy suggestion that Welsh write a followup to his greatest work by composing the record of a Scottish junkie who jogs around the Iberian peninsula in an attempt to break horse's hold on him, and title it Spaintrotting, but I see that the net has anticipated me.

Thanks for the recommends M-ette. On to the List of Alba they go.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Wednesday, 8th August 2012, 07:50

Moanerette wrote:James Kelman is my favourite modern Scottish author. Try Bus Conductor Hines or A Disaffection.

I, too, was going to suggest Kelman. BCH is outstanding and his short stories, like Gray's, are excellent - e.g., Greyhound for Breakfast. Recent interview with him here.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner