I strayed to Diablo 3 for a bit...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 03:33

I strayed to Diablo 3 for a bit...

What a big disappointment. Loved Diablo 1, liked Diablo 2, hated Auction House Tycoon 3.

What was I thinking... Dungeon Crawl is the game I love. Anyone else make this foolish mistake?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 04:37

Re: I strayed to Diablo 3 for a bit...

I don't. (I never played Diablo series.)

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 04:53

I have only played Diablo 2, and I liked it for about a week. The gameplay isn't half bad, but it got boring really quickly, as the game was really, really, really, really, really, really, really repetitive. Diablo 3... I have heard that it's really terrible.
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack!"

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 08:24

ClawlessVictory wrote:What a big disappointment. Loved Diablo 1, liked Diablo 2, hated Auction House Tycoon 3.

What was I thinking... Dungeon Crawl is the game I love. Anyone else make this foolish mistake?

I loved 2, but mostly due to playing loads with my brother - bought 3 and feel no urge to play - dull and unimaginative

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 10:22

Anything with a Diablo label other than Diablo 1 shouldn't have been allowed to exist.

Nothing will ever be like FRESSHHHHH MEEEAT :cry:

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 12:04

Anyone care to explain why you think Diablo 3 suck?

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 12:37

The simplicity and randomisation that made the first games enjoyable has been replaced by awkward and restrictive mechanics - you need a constant connection to play even single player and you can't really reach the late game without ploughing real world money into the auction house. Always have an issue with games that work more as marketing strategies than entertainment...

For this message the author VargrVeum has received thanks: 2
dante3214, MyOtheHedgeFox

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 14:14

Wait a minute, they tried to make a semi-online role-playing game with all the pay-for-good-artefacts mechanics? That's foul play...
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 14:57

VargrVeum wrote:you need a constant connection to play even single player

This is really weird. It's like having cops showing up in your home every night, checking whether or not you're an illegal alien.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 17:51

Or, for those who live in a place where internet capable of multiplayer is awfully expensive, it's like buying cheese at the supermarket and finding out the cops aren't going to let you use it unless you make a french dish with it.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 18:10

pratamawirya wrote:Anyone care to explain why you think Diablo 3 suck?

Here's the problem: The loot drop rates are horrible and the only way to progress through the later parts of the game is to either out gold-farm the quickly rising inflation (which is 100% impossible) to buy better items, or pay real money for items (letting Blizzard take their 15% ;))... isn't the point of playing a Diablo game to find better and interesting items? And if you can't find them... then what's the point in playing... boggles my mind, what were they thinking??? Did they really think this money-making scam would work? Well, I suppose it does for the desperate and moronic...

For this message the author ClawlessVictory has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 18:16

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 18:51

Soon (we hope) Torchlight II will be out to help scratch that itch, and for much less $$

Anyhow, welcome back!
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

For this message the author tcjsavannah has received thanks: 2
ClawlessVictory, Dustbin

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 19:03

tcjsavannah wrote:Soon (we hope) Torchlight II will be out to help scratch that itch, and for much less $$

Anyhow, welcome back!

Thanks!

As for Torchlight II, I have no desire to play it. As censored and clean as Diablo 3 is compared to the former games in the series, Torchlight II looks absolutely sterile. Doesn't appeal to me at all.

DCSS is all I need :) If you haven't heard, there's a game called Path of Exile that mirrors the Diablo formula to a fault and has a MASSIVE skill tree.

http://www.pathofexile.com/

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 19:45

Eh, the drop rates in Diablo games were always crap. Diablo 2 you just didn't notice if you played online since there were enough players getting good stuff you actually could see it. And sometimes get it for free with enough begging. Plus the games were always more fun with friends, always. Solo was okay, but with friends it was exponentially better.

Haven't played D3 yet. Well, not D3 launch. I played some beta which told me Blizzard didn't have their crap together, so I didn't buy it. It was fun, but beta only was a fraction of Act 1, so I can't give a real, valid opinion.

Now what was fun, solo or with friends, was D2 with the MedianXL mod. It had some rather unfair, BSy moments, but the drop rates don't suck, you can circumvent the drop rates by sacrificing junk to craft what do you want, and had lots of crazy skills.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 20:12

Oh yea, MedianXL. I was real big into that, played on a private server and everything. Good times, good times.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 22:26

TwilightPhoenix wrote:Eh, the drop rates in Diablo games were always crap. Diablo 2 you just didn't notice if you played online since there were enough players getting good stuff you actually could see it. And sometimes get it for free with enough begging. Plus the games were always more fun with friends, always. Solo was okay, but with friends it was exponentially better.

I was a pretty huge fan of Diablo 1 and 2. D2 had it's problems, but it was fun to play. Diablo 3 completely sucks. Remember, that's coming from a Diablo 2 fan. The loot drops are entirely different from D2. I've put in over 100 hours and haven't seen a single set item or legendary. If it was D2, I'd have a stash full of mediocre set items that would at least allow me to start up new characters and I'd probably have a few legendary items as well.

Also, you're free to switch between skills at leisure, meaning there's no reason to ever create more than one of each class. What the hell were they thinking haha...

Oh yeah, and you can't even assign your skill points at level ups! So, quite literally, every character ends up being EXACTLY the same with the exception of equipment, and all of that is based on how much money you want to spend...

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 08:46

ClawlessVictory wrote:
TwilightPhoenix wrote:Eh, the drop rates in Diablo games were always crap. Diablo 2 you just didn't notice if you played online since there were enough players getting good stuff you actually could see it. And sometimes get it for free with enough begging. Plus the games were always more fun with friends, always. Solo was okay, but with friends it was exponentially better.

I was a pretty huge fan of Diablo 1 and 2. D2 had it's problems, but it was fun to play. Diablo 3 completely sucks. Remember, that's coming from a Diablo 2 fan. The loot drops are entirely different from D2. I've put in over 100 hours and haven't seen a single set item or legendary. If it was D2, I'd have a stash full of mediocre set items that would at least allow me to start up new characters and I'd probably have a few legendary items as well.

Also, you're free to switch between skills at leisure, meaning there's no reason to ever create more than one of each class. What the hell were they thinking haha...

Oh yeah, and you can't even assign your skill points at level ups! So, quite literally, every character ends up being EXACTLY the same with the exception of equipment, and all of that is based on how much money you want to spend...

^This^

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 20th July 2012, 13:56

ClawlessVictory wrote:

I totally see your point, I've been thinking for a while if it's worth buying it or no and you persuaded me that it isn't.
I'll probably give a try to path of exile and maybe torchlight 2 (the 1 wasn't amazing but worth the money indeed).

You may want to try desktop dungeons if you haven't. It's free, it lacks the depth of DCSS but it's fun and very easy to pick up.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 20th July 2012, 14:06

ClawlessVictory wrote:Also, you're free to switch between skills at leisure, meaning there's no reason to ever create more than one of each class. What the hell were they thinking haha...

Maybe they wanted to make the gameplay more flexible and allow the players to experiment easily? (Although that might not have worked as intended and made the game more dull instead.)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 20th July 2012, 14:53

Err, BTW, how do you sign up for Desktop Dungeons? (The game is asking me to log in, but I haven't registered yet.)

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 20th July 2012, 16:41

pratamawirya wrote:
ClawlessVictory wrote:Also, you're free to switch between skills at leisure, meaning there's no reason to ever create more than one of each class. What the hell were they thinking haha...

Maybe they wanted to make the gameplay more flexible and allow the players to experiment easily? (Although that might not have worked as intended and made the game more dull instead.)

I'll be honest, the ability to freely switch between skills might have it's advantages. For example, if they buff or nerf certain skills, your character isn't rendered useless, you can just switch. However, I don't think it lends well to the extended life of the game, as there's truly no reason to create more than 1 of any character and experiment with new builds, or stray from the norm and try something crazy.

I also like playing hardcore mode for obvious reasons, but it's too easy to die from something that's out of your hands like lag or a power outage. I know this was a problem with Diablo 2, but it seems to me that Blizzard has had 12 years to implement some safeguards against getting killed like that. In fact, Blizzard has had 12 years to improve every aspect of the Diablo formula, instead they took a huge step backwards in almost every aspect. The UI is nice and polished, but vitually everything else is inferior to D2. Hell, you can only have 4 people in a game, whereas in D2 you could have 8. That's a huge blunder!

I played Desktop Dungeons a bit and while it's fun, it's not really a roguelike, more of a puzzle game and not something I have any desire investing loads of time into.

My games of choice these days are Dwarf Fortress, Incursion (man I really hope this game sees a big update soon) and Street Fighter IV.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 21st July 2012, 19:09

pratamawirya wrote:Err, BTW, how do you sign up for Desktop Dungeons? (The game is asking me to log in, but I haven't registered yet.)

Unless you pre purchase it you can play just the alpha, not the beta. The alpha it's pretty good so I'm gonna pre purchase it and try the beta as it's cheap.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 23rd July 2012, 20:24

Having played D2 for a long time on Battle.net, I can see the advantages of eliminating picking your own stats and being locked into the skills you chose (I played way before they added respecs, which I think was added after D3 was announced). I totally screwed up four Barbarians before I finally managed to make one who played decently. Those four were totally gimped and since skill and stat selections were locked forever, there was no way to ever fix them, so my only recourse was to start over and then either use the gimped ones as item mules or delete them.

And with the way Blizzard nerfs stuff, you don't want to be locked into skills. For example, I had a Guided Arrow Amazon and a Frozen Orb/Thunder Storm Sorceress who became utterly sucky when their relevant skills got nerfed into the ground. So what did I have to do? Delete and start over since I couldn't go back and change anything. I had a few other characters who got smacked like that, and not all of them were using popular builds either, some quite obscure in fact (such as my Iron Maiden + Blood Golem Necromancer), but they got nerf batted. I would have loved being able to freely repick skills or at least respec at the time, would have saved a lot of trouble and power leveling.

Of course, the "only roll one of each class" is an issue with the pick freely system they have going on, but I'd say it beats "reroll and start your class over every patch because you got directly or indirectly nerfed" D2 had going on. As for people all using the same few builds... well, that's going to happen either way. Most players don't experiment much, if at all, but will rather follow existing trends. That won't change no matter how you set up a game's skill systems.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 23rd July 2012, 22:58

TwilightPhoenix wrote:Having played D2 for a long time on Battle.net, I can see the advantages of eliminating picking your own stats and being locked into the skills you chose (I played way before they added respecs, which I think was added after D3 was announced). I totally screwed up four Barbarians before I finally managed to make one who played decently. Those four were totally gimped and since skill and stat selections were locked forever, there was no way to ever fix them, so my only recourse was to start over and then either use the gimped ones as item mules or delete them.

And with the way Blizzard nerfs stuff, you don't want to be locked into skills. For example, I had a Guided Arrow Amazon and a Frozen Orb/Thunder Storm Sorceress who became utterly sucky when their relevant skills got nerfed into the ground. So what did I have to do? Delete and start over since I couldn't go back and change anything. I had a few other characters who got smacked like that, and not all of them were using popular builds either, some quite obscure in fact (such as my Iron Maiden + Blood Golem Necromancer), but they got nerf batted. I would have loved being able to freely repick skills or at least respec at the time, would have saved a lot of trouble and power leveling.

Of course, the "only roll one of each class" is an issue with the pick freely system they have going on, but I'd say it beats "reroll and start your class over every patch because you got directly or indirectly nerfed" D2 had going on. As for people all using the same few builds... well, that's going to happen either way. Most players don't experiment much, if at all, but will rather follow existing trends. That won't change no matter how you set up a game's skill systems.

I somewhat agree, but I really never had a problem with creating a new character, trying out new skills, creating something unique and rare, etc. I bought D2 on release day, so yeah I remember how it was before respecs. Honestly, I never had a problem with that system, and if it's not broke, why fix it?

Both systems have their positives and negatives, but I think I would prefer a proper, locked skill tree that I could invest points in to improve instead of relying on pure equipment from the RMAH. The real problem with D3 is the auction house, plain and simple. There's NOTHING good about it.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 28th July 2012, 15:34

I used to be an avid Diablo 2 player. Then I took an arrow to the knee and tried D3 for a ten-day. With Diablo 3 Blizzard has gone from being a top PC-game producer that sets the bar for other companies on how to make video games, to one of the most ridiculed ones (error 37 anyone?). They´ve created a game that they wanted, not the players.

Hmm, reminds me of another game I know.
Aww, c´mon tis was a joke – I love DCSS...

….and Mountain Dwarfs :p
Last edited by graffen69 on Sunday, 8th September 2013, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 30th July 2012, 08:12

I was excited for Diablo 3, but after playing it for a little while, I realised the AH really breaks the core motivation in the game.

The whole point of playing and killing monsters was to get better gear to kill more monsters to get better gear to kill more monsters. Circular, but it was fun, and made you want to discover the next item. I always checked every magic item that dropped for me in D2.

In D3 though, the odds of you getting exactly what you want from a monster drop are almost zero, whereas the odds of finding it in the AH are nearly 100%. So it means that everything you find is basically just currency for the AH... which means there's nothing interesting about the individual items that drop from the monster killing work that you personally do. It destroys the whole reason for playing. In D3, all you need to do is grind any monsters long enough to get enough gold to buy the gear you want to have the best character you can think of, and then the game is essentially over, motivation-wise.

Also, I don't like the locations and enemies. I loved Lut Gholein, and the Bloody Foothills, and the swamps in D2. I just don't enjoy the locales in D3 the same way.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 30th July 2012, 16:47

Replace gold with either Stones of Jordan or High Runes (pre- and post- patch 1.10 respectively) and AH with general trading and you had D2's end-game. The only significant difference is it's far more accessible to the average player. I think in vanilla D2 at the upper levels I only ever saw something I needed once every blue moon. Which is partly why I liked Median so much more as I could convert all the crap into the unique I wanted or upgrade said unique.

Mind, I'm not defending D3, I've only played a tiny part of it during a beta stress test. It's just some of the complaints I've been hearing are perfectly applicable to D2 to this day.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 31st July 2012, 02:48

TwilightPhoenix wrote:The only significant difference is it's far more accessible to the average player.

Well, that's my point. I did no trading in D2 - it was a singleplayer game. I play the same singleplayer game in D3, but now there's a shop just there.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 31st July 2012, 04:36

Disregarding the AH , D3 is a completely unfinished game and is full of half implemented ideas (the game seems like it was made in 6 months.)

White items being unenchantable(half implemented then removed but left the useless clutter whites behind)
Interactive terrain that only has a real presence in Act I (do it for the pre-release press then ignore it.)
A gem system that even a child could make better (they drop like candy and never go away, so are worth nothing.)
Skill balance is non existant the runes alone end up outpacing each other instead of adding variety to almost every skills, let alone the skills you unlock. (probably a part of the AH ploy though as people want variety in builds, and in order to make an inferior one work you have to buy a LOT of stuff off the AH.)
The attributes are atrociously designed, they could easily be replaced with just "damage" and "health" the way they've designed them, which makes itemization extremely straight forward and boring, along with leading to most of your drops being useless as no one wants a 90str/90 int item when they could have 180str or 180 int that also has a slot for a stat that is actually relevant since 99% of players have no reason to look for anything other than main stat and vitality from the main attributes. (probably on purpose for the AH again).
The graphical quality is very bad, the game actually looks worse than WoW even on max settings, the models look like something out of the 90s.

There's quite a lot more things, but these are the ones that just killed the game for me, aside from losing several high level hardcore characters due to the fact that I was forced to play on Blizzards extremely unstable servers. Also enrage timers are some of the worst things to ever exist.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 31st July 2012, 08:21

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 31st July 2012, 09:21

Mychaelh wrote:Why Diablo 3 is a win:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2E1992AEA ... 992AEAUA8Z

I've not been following the D3 goings on - what's it referring to at Day 38?

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 31st July 2012, 23:30

glexus wrote:
Mychaelh wrote:Why Diablo 3 is a win:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2E1992AEA ... 992AEAUA8Z

I've not been following the D3 goings on - what's it referring to at Day 38?

hahaha I love that review...

Here's what happened on Day 38:

For awhile, the best weapons were weapons branded with increased attack speed. So all the morons went out and dropped hundreds of dollars on weapons with IAS. A little while later, Blizzard decided IAS was overpowered and nerfed it to the point of being nearly useless. So now all of these dummies totally wasted their money on worthless equipment :D

And who's to say it won't happen again? Seriously, you need to be thrown into a gaschamber if you spend money in the auction house...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 1st August 2012, 03:47

I'm surprised it took them that long. IAS and it's magical counterpart were both brokenly good in D2.

...actually, there's hardly any games I can think of where speed boosts are neither worthless or overpowered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 1st August 2012, 10:12

In Mount & Blade the "light" prefix which increases speed is pretty useless.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 1st August 2012, 11:10

Diablo 3 is actually pretty good if you look at it like any other game instead of some long awaited holy grail of gaming. I had fun with it, and I might start playing it again at some point. MedianXL was better I guess, but D3 has some good stuff too. It's definitely better than D1 and D2. :)

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 8th September 2012, 15:13

I even never liked Diablo I back in the days, much less bought Diablo III.

But for some reasons I like to play Drakensang online in the "no, I don't will pay a single fucking Cent for this shit" 'hardcore' mode. :)

http://news.bbgsite.com/content/2012-04 ... t-II.shtml

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 8th September 2012, 16:42

I played Diablo III casually since it's release, but I'll probably be letting one of my friends who has yet to purchase it play it. I do like some of the things they did - like identifying items had become stupid in Diablo II and Diablo III they just made it so you can identify them, and they incorporated a similar feature from Titan's Quest that allows you to Teleport back to town and back to where you were.

But Really, most of the bad points that have been stated here ruined the game, and since wailing on this game makes me feel better I'm going to reiterate them in my own thinking.

The failing points for me came from -

Lack of Diversification per Character and all Characters - as stated, you only have to build one of each character class. If you don't like the skills you can change them and swap skill runes as needed. However, I would add that the characters themselves aren't all that different from each other. So not only do you really not have to create more then one character class, you can almost get away with saying you don't need to create anymore then a couple of characters period; one for melee and one for ranged.

Oversimplication of Characters - Pretty well they oversimplified the stats and skills so that your inventory is just a joke. You basically just find a better weapon that your character equips and replace your old one with it. This also goes back into the above point of Diversification as well - a Wizard for example just just equips a better weapon like a Barbarian or a Monk. You also are stuck in one gear the entire time you play - can't try to use different weapon types like a ranged weapon on a Barbarian because you are only suppose to melee where at least in Diablo II you could use all equipment except those regulated to a class.

Same Skills Over and Over - For a game where they wanted to make you switch between skill runes and skills they seem to have blundered quite a bit. There is really little need too except for perhaps the bosses. Even then, changing skills and skill runes is a pain where at least in Diablo II they were easily accessible and quickly could be switched. As for the skills themselves, even if you change the skill runes for them they are still the same skills - you still use Bash the same way on a Barbarian regardless of what rune effect is on it.

Followers were Weak - I remember my Act 2 Follower from Diablo II - I could let him charge ahead and he could hold his ground while he killed things and use his delicious aura. The Followers in Diablo III though are a little less useful in killing stuff this time around, and you don't have to worry about them dying too much as they will revive quickly, and since monsters will turn their attention to you when they see you anyways.

These four points then build into the next 2 key points that really shape the game.

An Overly Controlled Player Experience & Repetitive Gameplay.

I shouldn't really have to explain either, but basically Blizzard basically put in so many restrictions that they somewhat dictate how you play the game and how your suppose to have fun. You can't change things up really if you get bored because the field is so narrow and simplified though so what fun there is gets extremely stifled to a specific play pattern and it ends up getting extremely repetitive. Even before I cleared Act 3, the game was getting too repetitive to really be much fun.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 10th September 2012, 17:45

Blizzard releasing a dumbed-down, transparent money-grab fostering grinding and general addictive behavior? I never would have guessed.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 11th September 2012, 01:26

inkydood wrote:Blizzard releasing a dumbed-down, transparent money-grab fostering grinding and general addictive behavior? I never would have guessed.

Erm, almost everything in there is correct except it wasn't 'generally addictive', but more so it was a complete turn off.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 11th September 2012, 18:47

The fun of Diablio was always the (loot/candy) pinata.

Diablo 3 adds a store where you can just go buy loot/candy.

They deliberatly short-circuted the fun of the game.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner