God Proposal (Rings/Armour centric god)

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 23rd May 2014, 01:06

God Proposal (Rings/Armour centric god)

This is my own take on an equipment-centric god.

Abilities:
  • 0 Corrosion Resistance (Passive) - Protection from corrosion and Acid, scales with piety.
  • * Enchant Rings (Passive) - Enchant Armour may be used to buff Rings of Protection; Enchant Weapon may be used on Rings of Slaying.
  • ** Under Armour (Passive) - You gain the ability to line your heavy armour with light armour. (Light armours: Robe, Leather, Ring Mail [Non-Dragon armours of Encumbrance of 7 or less. Dragon Armours are explained as being 'too bulky' to fit under another armour.]) (Heavy armours: Everything else, including Lightweight Dragon armours). Encumbrance ratings stack.
  • *** Custom Tailoring (Active, Gold, Piety) - Your god adjusts an item to fit you better. Gold and Piety costs depend on the item. Artifacts can be tailored.
    • Tailored Gloves - Can be worn by any size race and those with Claws. Do not repress claws.
    • Tailored Body Armour - Decreases encumbrance and ignores the Deformed mutation. Also allows any-sized race to wear common armour. Dragon-armours cannot be tailored.
    • Tailored Boots - Can be worn by any size race; but are still repressed by Hooves and Talons.
    • Tailored Hats - Can be worn by those with Antennae 3 and Horns 3. Does not suppress mutations.
    • Tailored Helmets - Can be worn by those with Horns or Antennae and Octopodes; they also do not repress beak and fang auxiliary attacks.
  • **** God Gifts (Rings) - Will not give jewelry useless to your race. Biased towards jewelry you haven't seen until you have all basic types, at which point randArts, Protection Rings and SlayRings become much more common.
  • ***** Inset Ring (Active, Gold, Piety) - Destroy any Ring (Including artifacts). Add all the powers of that ring to any non-artifact weapon or heavy man-made armour (Scale Mail through CPA). Weapon or Armour becomes a new artifact. Gold and Piety Cost based on the value of the ring you are destroying.
  • ****** - Shield Forge (Active, Gold, Piety) - Destroy any one-handed weapon (including artifacts). Create a size-appropriate artifact shield based on the weapon. (Bucklers for Ko, Ha and Sp; Large Shields for Na, Ce, Fo, Tr, and Og; Shields for everything else). Gold and Piety Cost based on the value of the weapon you are destroying; except brand. All brands except Evasion and Protection are destroyed by the process. (Shield of Flaming makes no sense).

No real ideas on Piety; perhaps just a build up over time (exploration) and no natural decrease; just to prevent unlocking everything at once. Wrath would involve bad corrosion and perhaps destruction of the items he made for you. Corrosion that surpasses all resistances (even corroding artifacts) should suffice though.

Outlier Notes:
  • Does not allow Draconians to wear armour.
  • Allows Octopodes to wear helmets; but not armour.
  • I have not decided how the god interacts with Fe. My instinct is to let it allow Fe to tailor either (Hats and Cloaks) or Centaur Bardings, but nothing else. Hat/Cloak adds +1 AC basic, +4 AC fully enchanted. Two possible egos. Barding adds +4AC basic, +8AC fully enchanted, 1 ego.
  • Regardless, with the heightened importance of Rings to the races; the Enchant Ring and ring gifts is enough reason to pick the god with the armourless races.
Last edited by bcadren on Friday, 23rd May 2014, 01:24, edited 2 times in total.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 23rd May 2014, 01:16

Re: God Proposal (Rings/Armour centric god)

Re: wrath probably add in curses (and recursing) to worn items randomly.

Re: Piety gain/loss:

+ for iding each unique type of jewelry.
+ for tailoring a new type of armor.
+ for sacrificing armor/weapons

- for scroll iding jewelry

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 23rd May 2014, 06:45

I like these ideas.

On the whole it sounds OP -- but then again it has no tactical abilities.

I hope it gets coded as an experimental branch, it would be fun to mess around with at any rate.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 23rd May 2014, 09:15

FWIW, Tailored Body Armour was tried in pubby's smithgod, and IMO it was kind of boring. Just made armour restricted characters play more like normal characters.

For the idea in general: it feels like you're taking away meaningful decisions from crawl's slot restrictions. For example, instead of choosing item A or item B for one valuable slot (weapon or armour etc), it sounds like you want to combine them into super item A + B (and C, and D, etc). I guess this is fun in other games but it seems like against crawl philosophy to me.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 23rd May 2014, 19:13

DracheReborn wrote:FWIW, Tailored Body Armour was tried in pubby's smithgod, and IMO it was kind of boring. Just made armour restricted characters play more like normal characters.

Yes, some of these ideas are close to pubby's smithgod (Igni), but I think some bcadren's ideas, like "destroy ring to craft body armor/shield" and the ability to double up on armor, would be cooler than and an improvement upon Igni's passive boost to metal armor and removal of armor restrictions/deformed body. I don't like rings as god gifts though, and using ?ea or ?ew on specific rings seems strange too. Probably better to have those scrolls (and ?recharging) used as materials for the god's forging abilities, as is the case with Igni.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 04:46

and into wrote:using ?ea or ?ew on specific rings seems strange too. Probably better to have those scrolls (and ?recharging) used as materials for the god's forging abilities, as is the case with Igni.

Why is it strange? The scrolls of enchantment would make sense for being used on their ring counterparts.
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 08:16

Lyrick wrote:
and into wrote:using ?ea or ?ew on specific rings seems strange too. Probably better to have those scrolls (and ?recharging) used as materials for the god's forging abilities, as is the case with Igni.

Why is it strange? The scrolls of enchantment would make sense for being used on their ring counterparts.

In that vein it might be a better thing to consolidate the enchantment scrolls together as a single scroll that is modular.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 11:14

Lyrick wrote:

Well it assumes you have a ring of protection or a ring of slaying, for one thing. The god may give you those rings but as I said I don't like having a god just giving you jewelry. I'd say that being able to enchant rings of protection wouldn't really make much difference in a lot of games, and even then not until fairly late in the game, because you generally have targets for ?enchant armor until pretty late, such that you'd end up with same AC regardless. (+5 ring of protection and +3 plate and unenchanted aux slots is basically the same as fully enchanted aux slots and +0 plate and no ring of protection.)

If you could enchant your rings, then once you'd found a ring of slaying or ring of protection you'd just use your scrolls on those rings instead of your weapon or armor, until the rings were maxed out. It would be strange in that it is a fundamental change to how those items work, and yet it doesn't really introduce any new interesting or cool decisions.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 18:29

While and into is completely right in most cases, you forgot that it will make octopodes completely awesome. I've long wanted some way to enhance slaying/protection/evasion rings, but I usually thought of recharging scrolls as the better option for doing it.

I think rings are overall more interesting than armor, and that there is more design space for a >2 ring race, but I imagine that this and using recharging scrolls on rings are probably uncommon beliefs. Aka I'd love a ring gifting god, but it probably won't happen.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 20:35

I'd like to see some god of the ones that still remain giving piety for exploration with limited slots, the less the better. Maybe this idea fits here for the god encourages using armour and rings but you still have to select which ones are better for you instead of carrying a collection.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner