Contam and "try to see" problem

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 21:54

Contam and "try to see" problem

I have just found "+5 ring mail of Truth {Contam rPois rC+ Dex+3 Int+4}"
Why does not crawl have a "t"ry command near "=" adjust, "w"ear, "d"rop, "i"nscribe?
The command could display your AC/EV/spells. Will it be accepted on mantis if someone codes it?
Or is there any way to know them without going into wizard mode or creating an excel sheet for calculating everything based on really complicated formulae?

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
Patashu

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 22:06

Re: Contam and "try to see" problem

How would a person know how well he can dodge/cast spells in an armor he has never used?

I don't see a reason for this to be implemented. It would be a whole different deal if equipment could have +10 dex or something crazy like that.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd June 2014, 22:12

KittenInMyCerealz wrote:How would a person know how well he can dodge/cast spells in an armor he has never used?

I don't see a reason for this to be implemented. It would be a whole different deal if equipment could have +10 dex or something crazy like that.

I have identified that armour by ID scroll, isn't it enough?
Armour stats are listed in game, you can even see base armour and ER before picking armour up. Basically it's very easy to calculate AC, but EV and spell failures are not as easy.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th June 2014, 01:51

KittenInMyCerealz wrote:How would a person know how well he can dodge/cast spells in an armor he has never used?

This is a program with numbers that are in several places that currently calculates the numbers you are looking to determine if you press 'w'; the only other alternative is to use a separate application that you have to plug all your numbers into manually .

There is no good reason why the info screen on any given identified item doesn't say "If you wear this you will have AC of X and EV of Y and SH of Z" and possibly any other factors that might change that are numeric and not readily apparent.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 4th June 2014, 13:24

Why is there even a contam status possible on armor? It sort of makes sense on rings, since you'd want to swap those, but it seems that contam on armor only serves to do two things. Punish people who wear ID, and to make it hard to try on armor to see if it's worthwhile.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner