Looking for older game version from oct 2011


If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

User avatar

Halls Hopper

Posts: 55

Joined: Saturday, 2nd July 2011, 14:45

Post Saturday, 14th April 2012, 12:28

Looking for older game version from oct 2011

Hi!

I need a specific version of the game, but the so-called "archive" http://crawl.develz.org/trunk/archive.html only contains new 0.11 stuff. Are older versions still available somewhere for download?

I'm looking for 0.10-trunk versions from Oct 2011, but older than 25.10.2011 (according to changes.txt, mountain dwarves were killed on that day).
I miss mountain dwarves. :cry:
User avatar

Abyss Ambulator

Posts: 1249

Joined: Sunday, 18th September 2011, 02:11

Post Saturday, 14th April 2012, 14:10

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

solution: call hill orc "mountain dwarf" in your head
User avatar

Halls Hopper

Posts: 55

Joined: Saturday, 2nd July 2011, 14:45

Post Saturday, 14th April 2012, 14:21

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

Not funny.
User avatar

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 5832

Joined: Thursday, 10th February 2011, 18:30

Post Saturday, 14th April 2012, 14:48

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

Damn the "so-called" archive! So-called indeed!!!!!!!1111111one
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 3163

Joined: Friday, 6th January 2012, 18:45

Post Saturday, 14th April 2012, 14:53

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

User avatar

Halls Hopper

Posts: 55

Joined: Saturday, 2nd July 2011, 14:45

Post Saturday, 14th April 2012, 15:21

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

minmay wrote:Learn how to use git, that's the easiest way to get a specific version.

I installed it and it downloaded something that's probably a source code for the latest version, but it's WAY too advanced to a non-programmer like me beyond this point. Thanks anyway.


Thanks, I already installed 0.9.2 (and playing it right now), but was hoping for 0.10-trunk being still available somewhere.

Guys, if anyone of you has pre-25.10.11 windows tiles package, could you PLEASE (very please!) upload it to some filesharing service?
User avatar

Vestibule Violator

Posts: 1593

Joined: Thursday, 19th May 2011, 16:38

Location: Penza, Russia

Post Saturday, 14th April 2012, 15:32

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

There should be a way to grab all the GIT changes up to a certain update from the development branch. Find their removal in the Book of Changelog, then look for the tool and its application in Gitorious manual.
Last edited by MyOtheHedgeFox on Saturday, 14th April 2012, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.
User avatar

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1850

Joined: Monday, 20th December 2010, 04:22

Location: Surabaya, Indonesia

Post Saturday, 14th April 2012, 15:33

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

I have the 22-10-2011 version. Let me upload it first.

EDIT:
Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?9sacau6n89zycys

For this message the author pratamawirya has received thanks: 2
Hydralisk, MyOtheHedgeFox
User avatar

Halls Hopper

Posts: 55

Joined: Saturday, 2nd July 2011, 14:45

Post Saturday, 14th April 2012, 16:00

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

pratamawirya wrote:I have the 22-10-2011 version. Let me upload it first.

Bless you, kind sir! May you win every game from now on!

Spider Stomper

Posts: 216

Joined: Saturday, 25th December 2010, 20:02

Post Sunday, 15th April 2012, 00:03

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

If you don't mind me asking (I mean no ill in this):

what is your desperation to play Mountain Dwarves? weren't they removed because other species were too similar anyways (and you'll miss all other additions to the game since then)?
The above post is for entertainment purposes only. If you think anything I ever say is backed by fact, or if you cite things I've said in any argument ever, you are insane.
User avatar

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1729

Joined: Wednesday, 19th October 2011, 21:25

Location: New England.

Post Sunday, 15th April 2012, 00:48

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

There maybe well be a nostalgia factor involved. Mountain dwarfs were a noble heavy armour species.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6393

Joined: Friday, 17th December 2010, 18:17

Post Sunday, 15th April 2012, 02:41

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

Helmets probably.
User avatar

Abyss Ambulator

Posts: 1249

Joined: Sunday, 18th September 2011, 02:11

Post Sunday, 15th April 2012, 03:12

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

I was going to say that, but I felt that I'd already used my snarkiness quota for this thread.

Tomb Titivator

Posts: 879

Joined: Tuesday, 26th April 2011, 17:10

Post Sunday, 15th April 2012, 13:28

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

Hydralisk wrote:Not funny.


If you did not realise, you just made the terrible mistake of mentioning the mountain dwarves, this is what you get when you do. Many people complain about the removal (usually with somewhat poor arguments) and many others are so obsessed with the people who insist on returning the MDs, that you get flamed even if you actually aren't actually complaining about MD-removal, rather just saying you want to play an older version :D .
User avatar

Halls Hopper

Posts: 55

Joined: Saturday, 2nd July 2011, 14:45

Post Sunday, 15th April 2012, 20:01

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

IronJelly wrote:If you don't mind me asking (I mean no ill in this):
what is your desperation to play Mountain Dwarves? weren't they removed because other species were too similar anyways (and you'll miss all other additions to the game since then)?

Jabberwocky totally nailed it:
Jabberwocky wrote:There maybe well be a nostalgia factor involved. Mountain dwarfs were a noble heavy armour species.


It's more of the "lore" thing for me. I wanted to play a heavy armour fighter who is not a filthy orc nor a half-beast. Being a dwarf with an axe - a classic generic fantasy stereotype - felt just about right.
Maybe this sounds weird, but I need to like my character on the character creation screen to play the game well. I can't play majority of species not because of the abilities/aptitudes, but because I simply don't like them as species.

I also realised that when I started playing DCSS (early 0.8 versions), I didn't "get" melee combat at all, dying on early floors with any melee character except KoBe, but in contrast having much success with conjuration-based spellcasters. Recently I finally "got" melee chars and now want to win with MDFi - a classic Crawl newbie combo - because I simply have never won with MDFi before. It's like "been to Paris, have a photo of me in front of the Eiffel tower", only "played DCSS, won with MDFi".

Mankeli wrote:If you did not realise, you just made the terrible mistake of mentioning the mountain dwarves, this is what you get when you do. Many people complain about the removal (usually with somewhat poor arguments) and many others are so obsessed with the people who insist on returning the MDs, that you get flamed even if you actually aren't actually complaining about MD-removal, rather just saying you want to play an older version :D .

OK, I now understand why all the trolling. :) I stopped playing Crawl a couple of weeks before removal took place, so missed all the fun.
I simply pointed out why a later version won't suffice.
User avatar

Abyss Ambulator

Posts: 1249

Joined: Sunday, 18th September 2011, 02:11

Post Sunday, 15th April 2012, 22:04

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

Agreed. MDFi has been less the "newbie combo" and more the "newbie trap" since then. 0.5 was the high point of MDFi.

On another note, what's wrong with DD as heavy-armour dwarf fighter? They're still brokenly strong (sure, you can't go oka, but oka is frustrating anyway). Alternatively, play human and imagine yourself as a 'knight in shining armour' archetype or a 'fierce warrior of the north.' There are plenty of other heavy-armour builds in crawl (with likable/generic archetypes) besides the Mi/MD/HO triad; I have a really hard time understanding the nostalgia about mountain dwarves for this reason (well, I also like minotaur and hill orc more anyway, because they're just cooler). Just because a race doesn't have +8 apts for a stat doesn't mean that you can't train that stat.

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6393

Joined: Friday, 17th December 2010, 18:17

Post Sunday, 15th April 2012, 22:11

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

Blade wrote:play human

wat
User avatar

Abyss Ambulator

Posts: 1249

Joined: Sunday, 18th September 2011, 02:11

Post Sunday, 15th April 2012, 22:16

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

Rename it "Viking" in your head if you want. Just because crawl has all sorts of other shiny races doesn't mean that humans can't be interesting. It also doesn't hurt that they're a strong race with great apts across the board.

...also they can wear helmets and grow beards
...and sometimes they are short
User avatar

Halls Hopper

Posts: 55

Joined: Saturday, 2nd July 2011, 14:45

Post Sunday, 15th April 2012, 22:46

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

I have no interest in discussing it, nor I'm complaining about anything.

I'm playing Mountain Dwarf right now in 0.10 and having fun with it. Is that okay? Good.
User avatar

Abyss Ambulator

Posts: 1249

Joined: Sunday, 18th September 2011, 02:11

Post Sunday, 15th April 2012, 22:58

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

Oh, look at that. You posted it on a public forum, where people can have discussions that may or may not fit the op's whims. If there is a discussion to be had, we will have it.

Is that okay?

Good.

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6393

Joined: Friday, 17th December 2010, 18:17

Post Sunday, 15th April 2012, 23:23

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

Blade wrote:...also they can wear helmets and grow beards
...and sometimes they are short

New race: Short Human
User avatar

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1729

Joined: Wednesday, 19th October 2011, 21:25

Location: New England.

Post Sunday, 15th April 2012, 23:39

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

Grimm wrote:
Blade wrote:...also they can wear helmets and grow beards
...and sometimes they are short

New race: Short Human

Sounds a bit like a halfling.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Spider Stomper

Posts: 216

Joined: Saturday, 25th December 2010, 20:02

Post Sunday, 15th April 2012, 23:42

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

Hydralisk wrote:
IronJelly wrote:If you don't mind me asking (I mean no ill in this):
what is your desperation to play Mountain Dwarves? weren't they removed because other species were too similar anyways (and you'll miss all other additions to the game since then)?

Jabberwocky totally nailed it:
Jabberwocky wrote:There maybe well be a nostalgia factor involved. Mountain dwarfs were a noble heavy armour species.


It's more of the "lore" thing for me. I wanted to play a heavy armour fighter who is not a filthy orc nor a half-beast. Being a dwarf with an axe - a classic generic fantasy stereotype - felt just about right.
Maybe this sounds weird, but I need to like my character on the character creation screen to play the game well. I can't play majority of species not because of the abilities/aptitudes, but because I simply don't like them as species.

I also realised that when I started playing DCSS (early 0.8 versions), I didn't "get" melee combat at all, dying on early floors with any melee character except KoBe, but in contrast having much success with conjuration-based spellcasters. Recently I finally "got" melee chars and now want to win with MDFi - a classic Crawl newbie combo - because I simply have never won with MDFi before. It's like "been to Paris, have a photo of me in front of the Eiffel tower", only "played DCSS, won with MDFi".

Mankeli wrote:If you did not realise, you just made the terrible mistake of mentioning the mountain dwarves, this is what you get when you do. Many people complain about the removal (usually with somewhat poor arguments) and many others are so obsessed with the people who insist on returning the MDs, that you get flamed even if you actually aren't actually complaining about MD-removal, rather just saying you want to play an older version :D .

OK, I now understand why all the trolling. :) I stopped playing Crawl a couple of weeks before removal took place, so missed all the fun.
I simply pointed out why a later version won't suffice.


Trolling or not aside, I would like to thank you for answering. I do hope you win.
The above post is for entertainment purposes only. If you think anything I ever say is backed by fact, or if you cite things I've said in any argument ever, you are insane.
User avatar

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1850

Joined: Monday, 20th December 2010, 04:22

Location: Surabaya, Indonesia

Post Sunday, 15th April 2012, 23:47

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

I tried running an MdFi too after uploading that version. And he died. Past the early game, it didn't feel so easy for some reason.

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6393

Joined: Friday, 17th December 2010, 18:17

Post Sunday, 15th April 2012, 23:48

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

MDFi were a difficult class, especially if they went Oka.

New race: Alpine Short Human
User avatar

Sewers Scotsman

Posts: 3192

Joined: Friday, 13th May 2011, 08:47

Location: Ultima Thule

Post Monday, 16th April 2012, 08:07

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

Grimm wrote:New race: Alpine Short Human

With beard. And funny accent. And drink problem.

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6393

Joined: Friday, 17th December 2010, 18:17

Post Monday, 16th April 2012, 17:12

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

But never appeared in Tolkien.
User avatar

Sewers Scotsman

Posts: 3192

Joined: Friday, 13th May 2011, 08:47

Location: Ultima Thule

Post Wednesday, 18th April 2012, 08:36

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

I believe they are mentioned in the Apocrypha.

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 6393

Joined: Friday, 17th December 2010, 18:17

Post Wednesday, 18th April 2012, 17:21

Re: Looking for older game version from oct 2011

In 2 Maccabees I assume.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.