Question

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2012, 23:58

Question

Apparently, I have joined the IRC channel, it seems as if they are playing multiplayer, there are weird commands about people visiting stuff and killing other people in the channel. What the hell is going on?
Oh and, very nice community, apparently, I have been ignored for asking a question.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 4th April 2012, 00:03

Re: Question

We play online (http://crawl.akrasiac.org/docs/ssh_guide.txt) < follow that link to see how, or just play WebTiles I guess but console is cooler. The weird comments are certain milestones -- entering branches, killing unique monsters, etc.
As for no answer to questions...it happens. Sometimes nobody knows what to say, or they're all preoccupied with other things. Just repeat your question eventually if you get no answer and someone will notice at some point.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 4th April 2012, 07:19

Re: Question

The IRC is very-very busy. =)

Most people are using this channel and playing games through Secure Shell (console) at the same time, and they pay attention almost selectively to answers to their questions.

I must admit that the IRC channel frequenters do neglect newcomers' questions: I myself tried asking something there, and eventually gave it all up and started asking questions here, in the Tavern forum.

The two guys that always tell you that adventurers die, reach some Lairs of the Crypt, kill somebody and something else (Henzell and Gretell) are the so-called "bots". They constantly monitor what is happening at our two main on-line servers (Crawl.Develz.Org+Webtiles and Crawl.Akrasiac.org).
They are quite spammy, indeed. (smiles)

If you want to ask a question and reliably get an answer, here are a few ways...

1) Ask the question here, in the Tavern. If you have a small question ("What should I choose, club or morningstar? Why?"), go into the "Questions that do not deserve separate thread" forum topic.
By the way, I'd really recommend you to watch the "I think we learned something important today." topic. There, people post their insights on the game: some of them might be what you were looking for!

2) Go to Webtiles server (https://tiles.crawl.develz.org/), spectate a lively game (with one or two spectators, preferrably), say "Hello!" and try to ask your question. Each Webtiles game has a small chat, and some of the Webtiles players and spectators are glad to help you.
If nobody answers, try spectating another player. Eventually, somebody will answer!

3) Send a private message to one of the frequenters via IRC (or even to two or three of them). They are much easier to notice. Do not be too rude, please. =)

__

And, by the way, about "you were playing multiplayer"...

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup has one of the most fascinating multiplayers, in my opinion:
one player actually plays, and the others watch, give hints and (sometimes) kibitz.
Much better than PvP, I think. =)

Basically, that is what people do in ##crawl.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner