Some Jiyva Observations and Questions

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 25th March 2012, 01:38

Some Jiyva Observations and Questions

I messed around a little bit with a mid-level character of mine (SpVm of Nemelex) and Jiyva to figure out a few things. I thought I'd share my findings in case they were useful to anyone. I tried about five different copies of the same save to double-check.

Observations:
1) Jellies can be stopped from devouring your precious items if you place them on a teleportation trap (you need cTele to step on the trap yourself and cancel the teleport). This works regardless of whether you are on or off the level. Converting from Nemelex, it was possible to first place a trap in the Temple via Warpwright. Jellies WILL spawn in the Temple, in mass numbers, if you stay there long enough.
2) I seemed to get the most mutations if I let my piety build as much as possible. Letting the jellies eat my small stash (which really was small since I sacrificed everything possible on about 40-50 floors to Nemelex) was enough to bring me to full piety. If I cured my bad mutations on the way versus curing them afterwards, the end result would be far less mutations, maybe 3-5 instead of 8-10. I'm guessing you get more mutations when your piety is maxed and jellies eat. For a 'mutation build,' it would probably make sense to save potions of mutation and drink them from time to time at max piety, curing bad mutations.
3) Stat shifting tended towards Dex. I noticed this on some YAVP I read and I saw that my spellcaster's 30 Int would go to about 20 while his 17 Dex went to about 27. Str was low to begin with, but would hover around 6-10 (6 would be enough for my Swamp Dragon Armour). The shifts ARE affected by equipment buffs/drains. While wearing a +3 Str item, my Str dropped to 6. When I took it off, it went back up from 3 to 6. Keep in mind that my character has very high Dodge/Stealth/Stabbing skills, so perhaps the RNG made the "right" decision. Bit irritating though. ;)

Questions:
Being new to both Nemelex and Jiyva, it was an interesting experiment. I was worried that after sacrificing everything to Nem, there's be nothing left to build Jiyva piety. It seems there's no problem there if one has a decent stash. I think I may try Jiyva "for real" after I clear a few branch endings. Does anyone know what the slime spawn rate is like in Zigs? By the end of my last 15-runer, most everything I could find on the ground was junk (including most of branch endings), but Zigs had some valuable items (mostly artifacts, which slimes wouldn't consume anyway). How do slimes work/interfere with the standard Fire/Ice Storm nuking strategy?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 25th March 2012, 03:40

Re: Some Jiyva Observations and Questions

Jiyva shifts your stats around based on how you've been getting stat points. All into strength? Jiyva will give you tons and make your int and dex suffer.

Part of what makes Jiyva awesome is you don't need to worry about food. And your HP and MP will refill in huge quantities at times.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 25th March 2012, 03:59

TwilightPhoenix wrote:Jiyva shifts your stats around based on how you've been getting stat points. All into strength? Jiyva will give you tons and make your int and dex suffer.

I don't think so. L24 and I've put every point into Int. It seems I read that it *used* to work that way, but now it takes skill levels into account and makes reasonable choices. For example, if you have GDA it will slowly shift to 27 Str.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 25th March 2012, 14:09

Fungus wrote:1) Jellies can be stopped from devouring your precious items if you place them on a teleportation trap (you need cTele to step on the trap yourself and cancel the teleport). This works regardless of whether you are on or off the level.

It doesn't happen very frequently, but off-level items can be eaten at random regardless of their location.

Fungus wrote:3) Stat shifting tended towards Dex. I noticed this on some YAVP I read and I saw that my spellcaster's 30 Int would go to about 20 while his 17 Dex went to about 27. Str was low to begin with, but would hover around 6-10 (6 would be enough for my Swamp Dragon Armour). The shifts ARE affected by equipment buffs/drains. While wearing a +3 Str item, my Str dropped to 6. When I took it off, it went back up from 3 to 6. Keep in mind that my character has very high Dodge/Stealth/Stabbing skills, so perhaps the RNG made the "right" decision. Bit irritating though.

The shifting now takes a bunch of those things into account, yeah. First it tries not to burden you or to make your strength too low for the armour you're in, then it splits the rest depending on how high your magic skills are and how heavy your armour is.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 25th March 2012, 14:55

MarvinPA wrote:
Fungus wrote:1) Jellies can be stopped from devouring your precious items if you place them on a teleportation trap (you need cTele to step on the trap yourself and cancel the teleport). This works regardless of whether you are on or off the level.

It doesn't happen very frequently, but off-level items can be eaten at random regardless of their location.

I read the tip in another post. How frequently is "not very frequently"? I waited about 50,000 turns in multiple tests. Spriggan metabolism + Jiyva feeding made it no problem. On a side note, though, eldritch tentacles start spawning in the last level of Slime if you sit there too long. :P

EDIT: Looks like you are right! I waited a 100,000 turns in the Slime Pits and 2/7 items I left in a stack were gone. I guess I just got lucky the first time.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 25th March 2012, 17:38

It's totally random and hard to notice when he does it. Especially if you don't clear all the floors of stuff, then he's far less likely to hit your stash.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 25th March 2012, 18:27

Can anyone comment on my questions re: extended game Zigs and nuking?

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner