Other Roguelikes You Enjoy?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 20:35

Re: Other Roguelikes You Enjoy?

Actually what you're supposed to do in the Sandworm Lair is follow the worms as they dig their way because after a while the path collapses. Just saying.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 20:59

TehDruid wrote:Actually what you're supposed to do in the Sandworm Lair is follow the worms as they dig their way because after a while the path collapses. Just saying.

And then you suffocate and die (cf my 3rd game ever in Tome).

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 22:14

If you follow the worm step by step without exchanging positions thus stopping it from digging, you won't die. I've done it recently with no suffocations or w/e.
MuCK;
  Code:

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 22:58

I've done it too, in fact this time I died after I gibbed the boss without suffering any damage. This furthers the fact that some of the mechanics in certain zones are interesting yet not very good. Also has anyone played a Doomed before and are they really powerful, because I'll sort of feel really disappointed if they're not after all this striving to get them (and not yet even succeeding).

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 23:48

I don't know man it's been some days since I last played ToME and haven't really made any progress since I unlocked the wilder classes and the archmage. :P I kinda got tired of having to replay all the first dungeons and getting the usual artifacts from bosses. It's really weird that there's these fixed items. At least if you were having unrandarts on each boss it would make it more random, thus interesting. I really get tired having to reach lvl 15 all the time. And then there's all these deaths that feel random and unfair and that's why I play in Adventure mode. Still, lives are not enough some times. Maybe I suck. Who knows.

All this tediousness takes away from the joy you are supposed to get when unlocking stuff, for me.
MuCK;
  Code:

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 16th February 2012, 07:51

SWL was sooooo fun.

I diedthe first time i went in there and glitched out, but it's just so cool.

I like the second bosses. After you come back from the other continent -- Your level will be in the late 30s when this happens -- a bunch of areas grow new bosses.

One time, I got the sunwall faction hostile somehow. I had to enter wizmode, spawn all the plot-relevant NPCs who tried to kill me, then exit wizmode. It was annoying.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 16th February 2012, 08:54

Yeah, I also don't find the humour of Dredmore to be especially amusing. It tries too hard and is just a bit too quirky in its references; and I find myself (oddly), laughing at Crawl more, typically due to H**Y FCUK situations that I always seem to find myself in.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 23:02

eharper256 wrote:Yeah, I also don't find the humour of Dredmore to be especially amusing. It tries too hard and is just a bit too quirky in its references; and I find myself (oddly), laughing at Crawl more, typically due to H**Y FCUK situations that I always seem to find myself in.

Yeah, "trying too hard" is a good way to describe it. I'd like the humor more if it weren't so constant and unrelenting. They sort of beat you over the head with it tbh. Dredmor is like that really smokin' hot but shallow girl you can't stand hanging out with after two weeks, who won't stop telling you chuck norris facts or something. As far as Dredmor goes though: not gonna lie, I loved "the poncho with no name".

OP mentioned Isaac, which I haven't played but from watching videos seems like a big long extended joke about abortions. And abortion really isn't something that's funny. It's odd; Super Meat Boy was made by the same team and I loved that. But it too fell all over itself trying to convince you it was super edgy. Was Isaac any good apart from being in poor taste OP?

[/derail]

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 23:25

spillover wrote:OP mentioned Isaac, which I haven't played but from watching videos seems like a big long extended joke about abortions. And abortion really isn't something that's funny. It's odd; Super Meat Boy was made by the same team and I loved that. But it too fell all over itself trying to convince you it was super edgy. Was Isaac any good apart from being in poor taste OP?

[/derail]

Not the OP, but I can tell you that I hugely enjoy Isaac. I can take or leave the theme, and I actively dislike the piles of feces. But the gameplay is really enjoyable (hybrid of Zelda 1 and Smash TV), and the randomness makes it very replayable. Winning the second time is sort of "finishing the game", beyond that there's a bunch of characters and fun items to try out, and a tougher bonus stage. A few items or combinations are insanely powerful, but still fun to use for the first few times. Amusingly I find myself sometimes losing due to strategic mistakes rather than tactical, which I wouldn't have expected.

I also think that if you try to see Isaac as convincing you it's super-edgy you will see it that way, if you don't you won't.

I'm sure I'll be back to more crawl/DoomRL eventually but for the moment Isaac is taking up a lot of my gaming time.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 18th February 2012, 11:46

It's ... weird. I've heard it described as "zelda-esque", and since I haven't played zelda I can't say for sure. It's made in flash, though, so it runs like balls on my laptop, not to mention the abortion/toiled humour grated on my nerves quite hard, so I stopped playing it after half an hour or so with a relatively negative opinion.

Here's a WTF is of it, which for those who don't know, is a first impressions gameplay video with commentary from Total Biscuit, who has a nice voice and does not spew a constant stream of annoying shreaks/profoundly stupid opinions about life unlike other famous youtubers :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB4tk1g-7os

So check it out if you're interested in Bindings of Isaac, though I'm sure it has gone through a lot of updates since then.

Also I'm about to waste another afternoon of my life fighting Tome 4. Wish me luck!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 18th February 2012, 18:58

Prospector: Starflight as a roguelike.

Caves of Qud: Post-apocalyptic roguelike that takes a lot of cues from ADOM and Gamma World.

Cataclysm: Zombie apocalypse roguelike, more "realistic" than Rogue Survivor (which is also good).

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 19th February 2012, 03:58

Gravenous wrote:It's ... weird. I've heard it described as "zelda-esque", and since I haven't played zelda I can't say for sure. It's made in flash, though, so it runs like balls on my laptop, not to mention the abortion/toiled humour grated on my nerves quite hard, so I stopped playing it after half an hour or so with a relatively negative opinion.

I really don't think those elements are intended to be humorous; they're just intended to be unsettling and dark as part of the theme of the game. I mean, you're free to dislike them, but I don't picture the developer giggling at his monitor while he designed them.

Also, it's called "Zelda-esque" because the game is set up in exactly the same way as the dungeons in the original The Legend of Zelda for the NES, right down to the keys, the bombs, and the UI in general. It doesn't really have much in common with the more recent games in the series.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 19:16

More Tome 4 talk :

I have finally ventured into the East and unlocked Doomed. As expected, I haven't the slightest idea how they're supposed to play and the one I made to quickly test the class (because I just spent 7 or more hours unlocking it and by god I will enjoy them) died an ignoble death to Brosef. I think it would be wiser to play an easier spellcaster first, or find some info on Doomed or something.

On the other hand, all of my post-lvl 24 champions find themselves facing similar problems - as I played mainly melee classes so I could enjoy Doomed to the fullest when unlocked, all of them start to fall off in defence. Bulwarks, Temporal Wardens, all of them start taking too much damage and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. For example my last Bulwark had 32 defence 67 armor and 95% armor hardiness. And peoples were hurting me like hell past Daikara. I'm a bulwark damn it you're not supposed to hit so hard :(

edit : So I browsed the Characters Vault for a while and it seems the road most people take when playing Doomed is die 7 times by level 10 and restart something else :| Welp, I guess it's paradox time!

Eringya's Employee

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 20:26

More on ToME;

Got an arcane archmage going on one of these days. Pretty powerful. Teleport/Blink are immensely OP... He died at lvl 25 (on adventure mode though :P ) in the Last Hope graveyard (so close to unlocking Necromancer ffs :P ). Oh well. I unlocked brawler and stone specialization for archmage with him at least. :)
MuCK;
  Code:

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2012, 09:26

My favourite casty class was Anorithil. They're gerat fun, but you tend to run out of options with them must faster than you do with Archmages.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2012, 14:37

Paradox Mage trip report :

So much Crowd Control :shock:

And it's a good thing I have it, too. Because I'm still not convinced by my build's way of dealing with single enemies, or any enemies at all, really. It's just that there has to be a more cost-efficient way of killing two skeletons than dropping three city-sized AOE dots on them and porting my ass away from the damage zone.

I also died twice to adventurer parties because hurrr im a paradog maeg

All in all Paradox Mage is great fun, but maybe I should've just started a skeleton Archmage and unlocked that Corruptor. Or alternatively had a sane build. Whichever.

edit : Welp, R.I.P. Crundles XII The Dwarf Paradox Mage. Honestly, trying to save the npc in the halfling ruins is balls, especially when your main ways of doing damage are aforementioned city-sized dots. Was trying to savescum because honestly the stupid npc is so incredibly stupid he would run into my aoe half the times, got instagibbed by the boss, reset the client a few times because of crashes, BOOM, now when I spawn I see only black squares overlaid by spell effects. Archmage time!

re-edit : Skeleton Archmage Trip Report :

Z-12-R-Z-121-R-Z-12-R-Z-12-R-ZzzzZZZzzZzzzZzz

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 3rd March 2012, 15:04

I feel kind of silly posting twice in a row in my own thread, but since noone else will :

New version of Tome 4 : http://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2012/02/ne ... -beginning

Runs significantly faster, some classes were nerfed for no reason at all (Paradox mage T_T) others weren't touched at all (Archmage!?), some levels were reduced in length although not at all as much as they should've been, completely redesigned and movable interface and other fun and amusing stuff.

I'm not sure that solves how incredibly boring the game gets somewhere around half the east, but meh. I'm too busy splatting MiMos to try it out properly, but someone else might have fun.

Oh and they fucked with the Afflicted classes' hate mechanic which makes me sad since it makes no sense at all now.

Eringya's Employee

Post Saturday, 31st March 2012, 16:32

So... I finally decided to check Incursion. So much stuff going on in this game during character creation... Quite intimidating. And, has it stopped being developed? I can't seem to find a newer version and this is up to 2007. Also, there's no tiles for that game, is there? :P I'd like to see it develop into something more complete and maybe a bit user friendly. :)
MuCK;
  Code:

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 1st April 2012, 02:44

TehDruid wrote:So... I finally decided to check Incursion. So much stuff going on in this game during character creation... Quite intimidating. And, has it stopped being developed? I can't seem to find a newer version and this is up to 2007. Also, there's no tiles for that game, is there? :P I'd like to see it develop into something more complete and maybe a bit user friendly. :)

https://groups.google.com/group/incursion/browse_thread/thread/79efe87aaf97d6d2?hl=en

Apparently he's just doing a major rewrite.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2012, 00:18

Couldnt get into tome4

Too easy to get out of an area, heal, get back, couple of hits, get out etc

The interface looked too much like that of a mmo, the cool down of powers also reminded me of that.

No hunger meter, not really that punishing difficulty, skill tree stuff.... Felt more like a grid-based turn-based Rpg than a roguelike

Probably just my impression, didnt try too hard or play too long.

Dungeons of dredmor probably good as gateway rl, but lacks in pretty much every aspect if you compare it to crawl.

Tboi is super fun too. (Beat heart twice) though luck matters a lot.... Chances of success depend a lot on the stuff you get. Also, poorly optimized (flash game)

I dont really mind the poo and bloody bowels. It doesnt try to state anything, its just an aesthetic thing, maybe except the intro maybe. Anyway, not the kind of style you see in most games.

Good game

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 18:16

Tiber wrote:
TehDruid wrote:So... I finally decided to check Incursion. So much stuff going on in this game during character creation... Quite intimidating. And, has it stopped being developed? I can't seem to find a newer version and this is up to 2007. Also, there's no tiles for that game, is there? :P I'd like to see it develop into something more complete and maybe a bit user friendly. :)

https://groups.google.com/group/incursion/browse_thread/thread/79efe87aaf97d6d2?hl=en

Apparently he's just doing a major rewrite.

Yes, but taking the opposite tack from the Crawl devs, keeping it completely to himself "until its done" but without taking the Dwarf Fortress plunge of making the game his life. His game, his choice. He has some medical issues that slow development down. According to the group posts his latest guess for next release is after 2014 so 0.6.9I is the version for the foreseeable future.

I really enjoy a go at Incursion from time to time, when I want to drown myself in D&D-esque minutiae it's my go-to roguelike. Considering the base similarities it still manages to be a completely different experience to Crawl, nice for a change of pace.

Eringya's Employee

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 09:17

I've been playing lots of ToME lately. Don't worry, DC:SS is still my top roguelike. But ToME feels more casual, even though beating ToME requires more time than DC:SS

Anyway, here's my updates:

* Reached level 30+ on a Cornac Bulwark, beat the master quite easily and went to the east where I unlocked both Anorithil and Sun Paladin, which both pretty much disappointed me, mostly due to their (imho) stupid resource management. I also unlocked Temporal Warden and the ghoul race on this character, didn't really like that class though and ghouls seem too meh with their Global Speed decreased to 80% by default...

* I wanted to unlock Marauder for some time now, and I went ahead and read the spoilers on how to do that, so I said; You know, I'll go for a rogue with a two-handed weapon since they deal more damage than one handed ones. Took lots of tries. Finally dealt 642 damage to a rat with My 17 level Dwarf Rogue wielding Bill's Trunk while stealthed for the bonus critical damage of shadowstrike. Utterly hilarious image of a dwarf hiding while carrying a huge log and critically striking stuff with it because, you know, sneak attack. :P This class looks definitely like fun although Thuggery doesn't benefit as much as I'd like from Talent Category Mastery increases... Only its first and last talent get any benefit, actually. Still, they're mobile and can have 2 disengage skills (disengage and hack and back).

* Later I unlocked Yeek, which I'm starting to hate with a burning passion due to how fragile they are and low physical stats, but to a greater extent, due to their freaking underwater dungeon which you'll have to go through a lot of times to get one going... They're great for making things like a Summoner and perhaps a trapper Rogue or an Alchemist. I've tried to unlock Mindslayer but that stupid Wayist dies so fast to Subject X. Mindslayer sounds like a class I might like, they have access to silence. :D

The addition of rares only made the game unpredictable in a bad way, imo. Uniques were good enough. Some of them are easy to kill before they get into melee, but some are incredibly deadly from range. If you're playing melee, go for Rush soon. You'll like it, trust me.
MuCK;
  Code:

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 15:39

I'm an admitted Dwarf Fortress player, but I hate most roguelikes beyond that. The only one I haven't yet mentioned that I like is DoomRL, mostly because the nostalgia factor of DooM mixes well with my favorite type of game; RPG.

Regardless, DF nor DoomRL get my attention like Crawl does; there's just so much going for a game that you can start up and get into within seconds. DoomRL is similar but without quite as much depth, and Dwarf Fortress is too damn deep. I like Crawl a lot, and I like that I can win it. Dwarf Fortress is not winnable regardless of what mode you play. Some people like this freeform gameplay, but goals are my big go-to, and DF lacks goals.

Don't get me wrong though, I love Dwarf Fortress... the gameplay is actually quite fleshed out for living up to such a massive concept. Most games that aspire to be anything close to as big as DF usually lack gameplay in horrible ways. Devs shouldn't try to live up to such massive concepts unless they are willing to sacrifice a lot, something ToadyOne has decided to do.

It'll never have the level of polish or be as streamlined as Crawl though. Crawl is great.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 6th August 2012, 15:50

DoomRL
Desktop Dungeons (sort of a roguelike)
Berserk! (I don't recommend playing this for a long time though, it's a 7DRL and pretty tiny)
Hydraslayer (I tried this this morning and it is fun, though perhaps not that well balanced).

DD and Hydraslayer I like because I love deterministic games, if you don't you probably won't enjoy them.

These are most of the roguelikes I have ever played though, besides Crawl; I think the only roguelike I have played but didn't enjoy was Frozen Depths or whatever it was called (that Roguelike Radio-featured one).

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 7th August 2012, 15:50

I've been trying ToME for the past week. It seems like it's coming along nicely but damage is too spiky for my taste. And its traps are the worst thing ever.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 7th August 2012, 16:07

minmay wrote:Also it has selling items which is inexcusable. I mean come on.

You can get an item that automatically turns items you leave on the floor into gold when you leave the level. Once it's unlocked all new characters you generate begin with it.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 9th August 2012, 04:09

cerebovssquire wrote:DoomRL
Desktop Dungeons (sort of a roguelike)
Berserk! (I don't recommend playing this for a long time though, it's a 7DRL and pretty tiny)
Hydraslayer (I tried this this morning and it is fun, though perhaps not that well balanced).

DD and Hydraslayer I like because I love deterministic games, if you don't you probably won't enjoy them.

These are most of the roguelikes I have ever played though, besides Crawl; I think the only roguelike I have played but didn't enjoy was Frozen Depths or whatever it was called (that Roguelike Radio-featured one).

You should try hyperbolic rogue then. Can make you sick, but it's deterministicly fun. :P

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 9th August 2012, 08:30

Jeremiah wrote:I don't play that many other roguelike or RPG type games, mainly because I think "character classes" are silly. It's like saying to someone: "You're a Lawyer so you can only learn Lawyer abilities, you can't learn to fire a gun."

Rather impressed with skyrim's approach to removing classes from an RPG - No decisions about what you want to be at the start - just dive right in and the things you do most level up (with perks to augment each experience level boosting the skills you've used most) - quite interesting to see your tabula rasa character end up a master assassin and bowman.

Eringya's Employee

Post Friday, 12th October 2012, 14:54

Thread ressurection;

I just started playing Caves of Qud and man is this game deep! Incursion deep!.
Still waiting for the day Incursion gets a revamp (and somebody makes a tiles version of it :P ).
MuCK;
  Code:
Previous

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner