That thing you do.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th January 2011, 04:34

That thing you do.

Do you do anything idiosyncratic in Crawl, something that doesn't affect play much but which you almost superstitiously HAVE to do?

When I play dwarves I refuse to use orcish gear - unless it is incredible stuff. I will go without gloves and boots etc. if orcish ones are the only ones on offer.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 20th January 2011, 05:12

Re: That thing you do.

I still use nethack style zigzag evasion patterns when charging at or retreating from missile firing monsters. (Ie, up left, down left, up left, etc. instead of left left left). This does absolutely nothing as firing arcs are not constrained to the 8 cardinal directions, but I do it anyways (no effect on gameplay unless certain people get their wish and diagonal movement is suddenly penalized).

I inscribe every item I take of the corpse of a unique with their name- credit where credit is due (if I leave it on the floor- they don't get any). Within reason. Equipment and wands mostly.

Usually, if I find a new altar to my current god, I make a point to stand on it and pray. Gotta pay respect and all.

I'm horrible at naming things, and will drag the process out forever if gven the chance, so I make a point to name rougelike characters as quickly and as haphazardly as possible. Often this means I pause, focus on the radio for a second, and pull a random word from the conversation to use as a name. For a while I was naming characters after the reporters, but I started to feel guilty after getting half the staff of NPR killed.

There's probably more, but that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 20th January 2011, 05:45

I try to name characters using the abbreviations of their species, background and god, eg. Hammock the Halfling Arcane Marksman of Okawaru (HaAMok), Kocky the Kobold Chaos Knight, or Habeas Orbus, The Halfling Berserker (started as Assassin). (Habeas Corpus in latin means something like "bring forth the body", so Habeas Orbus: bring forth the Orb.)

I also try to do stuff like pray or sacrifice on altars of my god, and while I don't refuse to wear orcish gear, I do think about the fact that my character, if elven or dwarven, would probably prefer not to.

I've also started inscribing good items from uniques with the name of the unique, as a "keepsake".

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 20th January 2011, 07:37

I like to name characters after other characters. Right now I have 3 guys created called Problem Sleuth, Ace Dick and Pickle Inspector. Haven't gotten them anywhere, but there's time.

I too pray every time I see an extra altar of my god. It might not do anything, but one has to keep the faith strong!

For this message the author Jenx has received thanks:
szanth

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th January 2011, 10:39

Another altar pray-er here. There should be a tiny piety gain for that - like one point, with no repeat prayers at that altar for 1000 turns or something to prevent piety scumming.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 20th January 2011, 11:04

Grimm wrote:Another altar pray-er here. There should be a tiny piety gain for that - like one point, with no repeat prayers at that altar for 1000 turns or something to prevent piety scumming.

Nope. That would encourage (otherwise useless) altar praying, meaning for optimal play you'd have to do it every 1000 turns. It's fine if players do it for flavour (I occasionally do it myself), but if it were actually rewarded, it would lead to degenerate play. Sorry.

Also, when I play I usually name my characters after species/background combo, too.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th January 2011, 12:34

jpeg wrote:Nope. That would encourage (otherwise useless) altar praying, meaning for optimal play you'd have to do it every 1000 turns. It's fine if players do it for flavour (I occasionally do it myself), but if it were actually rewarded, it would lead to degenerate play. Sorry.

I'm pretty sure it would not do that, and would still not be optimal play.

Piety decays over time with most deities. The trip to the altar to pray will typically decay more piety than praying at the altar would grant, so unless you were passing through anyway it would NEVER be a good idea to detour for this purpose.

Even if you're playing a worshipper of one of the deities that remains steady or improves over time, you're almost certainly better off generating a new level and getting the piety from whatever sources spawn there.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 20th January 2011, 12:50

I really don't think giving any actual benefits from praying on an altar a second time is a good idea. It would be fun if it did get acknowledged though - First time you pray at an altar of your diety (aside from the one you converted) perhaps could make the diety give you a different message than just the simple "X is pleased with you".

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 20th January 2011, 14:12

As I posted elsewhere, I have a tendency to start pressing the directional keys slower and more lightly when I'm making a stealth approach. (The former actually does help in the sense that you're paying more attention to the messages and will better see when/if the monster wakes up on you.)

When making stashes, I always put the pile of weapons directly to the right of the pile of books. (I play ASCII.)

When playing a non-orc, given the choice between orcish gear and generic gear of the exact same quality, I'll take the generic. Orcish gear just "feels" more shoddy even if there's no in-game difference.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 20th January 2011, 15:53

I have to inscribe at least the Orb when I'm at the very end. My last won game on the Akrasiac server was a HaTM. On his orb, the scrawled words were 'Screw you hell'. Kinda buried, but I think it was the time I was ambushed by a couple of Hellions and had to repeat Gehennom 4 or 5 times. An OgSu had an Orb with "BEST OGRE EVER". And he was, until this tournament where nht blew it out of the water with an all-runer and under 120k turns.

Mind, he also had a Giant Spiked Club custom titled "MR. STICK". I have a tendency to inscribe non-randart weapons that have >= +5 in damage bonus.

Summoners I use Spammals pretty much exclusively until the mid-game. As in, clvl 11-14, Lair cleared, received book that has mid-game summons. Even then they still find their use until I have Sputterflies.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 20th January 2011, 16:49

jpeg wrote:
Grimm wrote:Another altar pray-er here. There should be a tiny piety gain for that - like one point, with no repeat prayers at that altar for 1000 turns or something to prevent piety scumming.

Nope. That would encourage (otherwise useless) altar praying, meaning for optimal play you'd have to do it every 1000 turns. It's fine if players do it for flavour (I occasionally do it myself), but if it were actually rewarded, it would lead to degenerate play. Sorry.

Also, when I play I usually name my characters after species/background combo, too.

It could be a one-time-only effect. ("Before you pray, you clean years of dungeon debris off the altar. You feel that your god appreciated this.") And then a chance of restore abilities, heal wounds, +1 to a stat, or a piety boost.

I just feel like an altar of one's god should have _some_ usefulness.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 20th January 2011, 17:16

Praying at alters could behave similarly to sparkling fountains -- praying to any of the aligned good gods might provide a chance for a small benefit.

I too tap slower and lighter when stealthy and harder when trying to make the final killing blow or attempting a stab. I'll often tap a rhythm when fighting early to get rid of a pesky cockroach, like "Shave and a haircut", or, if the fight seems to be taking longer and I'm not dying: Bach's minuet in G.

Would there be game issues with having ctrl-shift-dir or something like that mean move very very slowly but more stealthily?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 20th January 2011, 18:26

I'm the kid who, when he played games like Earthbound and Final Fantasy, would make a sound effect or punch the air in time with what the character was doing, believing that it helped somehow.

I'm also the 23 year old who, when he plays games like Crawl, hits the directional key with authority when he believes it will cause the killing blow, and occasionally accompanies this with taunting, often vulgar variations of "CLACK-CLACK, SON! CLAAAACK CLAAACK SOOOONNNNN!"

I'm very white.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 20th January 2011, 22:34

Definitely agree with the tapping keys slower for stealth and harder for damage thing. Also if my my character wears robes, I'll try on every one I see even if its just a normal one and keep whichever has the color I like more.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 21st January 2011, 02:04

I do that whenever I play robe-wearing characters! There are some pretty snazzy threads available, it's definitely worth comparison shopping. Or just going with the rotting rags for the "downmarket intimidator" look.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 21st January 2011, 02:15

jpeg wrote:
Grimm wrote:Also, when I play I usually name my characters after species/background combo, too.

This. Name is the absolute last thing I do in chargen, and I try to make it sound as elfy/dwarfy/merfolky as possible. Spriggans are always named after plants/flowers. If they're venom mages/stalkers, they're named after poisonous plants. Demigods tend to get 'historical' demigod names.

Centaurs, oddly, are named after former US presidents. No, I don't know, either.

I almost always, 99% of the time, pick race randomly, and then a role I think suits it. Or sometimes doesn't, depending on my mood. Kobold monks seem to thrive as much as KoBe, in my experience. I rarely start a game with a specific role/job in mind.

I don't pray at altars to my god. Or at least, I didn't till I read this thread. I suspect that might creep in now, as it's too cute not to do ;)

I do the robe thing, too. If I have a necromancer in a bright purple robe, he will try on every damned piece of gear he comes across until he finds something more sinister.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 21st January 2011, 07:26

I keep my stash sorted. A stack of scrolls, a stack of books, and so forth.

I used to keep my stash sorted into things like a stack of potions of healing, a stack of potions of heal wounds, and so on, but I stopped. This is pretty much useless in the console version anyway.
Just a well-spoken spambot.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 21st January 2011, 11:49

Wolfechu wrote:
jpeg wrote:
Grimm wrote:I do the robe thing, too. If I have a necromancer in a bright purple robe, he will try on every damned piece of gear he comes across until he finds something more sinister.

Indeed. It kinda makes me sad that robes are the only kind of armor with this distinction. I suppose it makes sense, though, how would you have a pattern on chainmail.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 21st January 2011, 13:07

Quite simple, really. You just use different colored rings when weaving the chain mail and you are able to make patterns on it.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 21st January 2011, 14:05

Wolfechu wrote:Centaurs, oddly, are named after former US presidents. No, I don't know, either.

Really reaching for it here, but any president (or other national leader/hero) from before the automobile era is almost always immortalized somewhere with a statue of him on a horse. There's your centaur.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 21st January 2011, 19:23

Cloaks are coloUred too but they're hard to see behind armor.

I have been through several phases of stash sorting. Currently I am trying a "no stacking, one item per square" approach in very large Lair chambers. Tedious but makes me feel like I'm getting somewhere, until I need that stashed amulet of rMut when I'm in the Mines.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 25th January 2011, 14:28

Um...is all of this robe/cloak variation a tiles thing? If so, do they keep the same tile if you leave and come back later? Seems like all the generic robes I find are dark red (I think - RG colorblind ASCII player here...)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th January 2011, 09:23

Whenever I see a quokka, I think "Ah, lunch".

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 28th January 2011, 14:31

Grimm wrote:Whenever I see a quokka, I think "Ah, lunch".

Me too! They just look like the most food-like creature in the dungeon, aside from maybe sheep.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 28th January 2011, 14:34

Grimm wrote:Whenever I see a quokka, I think "Ah, lunch".

I say the same when playing Troll Berserkers and meeting Sigmund :mrgreen: .
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th January 2011, 17:54

Sheep look too much like yaks for me to entirely relax around them.

After I have gone back and gleefully murdered Sigmund at XL 10 or so, I have taken to eating his corpse out of spite, whether I need the food or not. Sometimes I'll cut his corpse up and throw the chunks into water or lava, if available.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 28th January 2011, 20:22

Grimm wrote:I have taken to eating his corpse out of spite

ALWAYS. I am happy to hear someone else does this. I quite liked the image of my High Elf Crusader tossing down his sword and picking up a leg with a calculating look.

Spriggans and mummies must do the best they can, scattering him for fish is usually enough.
Dowan says "Her death will not be in vain!"
You bludgeon Dowan!
This raw flesh tastes great!

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 8th May 2012, 16:57

Do not worship dark deities.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 8th May 2012, 17:13

Sometimes I say "Hungry, hungry, lose some weight" when eating a contaminated chunk, so that I don't catch Nausea afterwards (doesn't make sense, I know).

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 8th May 2012, 21:38

hey, i'm not the only one who feels some compulsion to pray at altars to the god I already worship? Sweet! and yes, I think a flavor message would be useful there, even if no benefit is gained.

my other habit, as wasteful as it is, is drinking fountains dry when i find them. Even normal ones. It's not harmless, but i was an ADOM player, and fountains could occasionally grant you a wish. Yes, it took a while in Nethack to unlearn this dangerous habit.
The above post is for entertainment purposes only. If you think anything I ever say is backed by fact, or if you cite things I've said in any argument ever, you are insane.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 9th May 2012, 00:18

I won't renounce my faith to whatever God I've chosen.

I also find myself praying randomly during my character's travels for no reason. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who prays at the altars when he sees one ^_^

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 9th May 2012, 12:25

Because I go through dozens of chars a day, every one is named Rex. From the legends of successful runs of olde to the most recent dungeon popcorn, each are named Rex. Every. Single. One. I havent run a non-Rex (and I'm not joking; I havent ran a single char for a single turn that was named anything but Rex) in at least about a year now.

Every time I use demonspawn I have to swap their sprite out with the black, demon-looking one. A slightly red tinted bald man with horns on his head just doesn't' do Demonspawn justice.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Wednesday, 9th May 2012, 15:20

Grimm wrote:eating his corpse out of spite

This. I eat Sigmund and other uniques after I have killed them (where they leave chunks, obviously). Sometimes I imagine that I will absorb some of their power or abilities in this way.

I never do. Mostly it's just to celebrate my having defeated them.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 9th May 2012, 16:23

You all should be playing ghouls.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th May 2012, 16:33

Are you saying corpses are...a ghoul's best friend?

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 9th May 2012, 16:36

Yup, exactly. Die, man, and you'll be a ghoul's best friend.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 9th May 2012, 18:27

Confidence Interval wrote:
Grimm wrote:eating his corpse out of spite

This. I eat Sigmund and other uniques after I have killed them (where they leave chunks, obviously). Sometimes I imagine that I will absorb some of their power or abilities in this way.

I never do. Mostly it's just to celebrate my having defeated them.

I do this too. It's great as a Troll especially since you're often hungry. I visualize ripping out Sigmund's heart and eating it to gain his power. Then I feel kind of grossed out. Then I remember what a jerk Sigmund is and I don't feel as bad.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 9th May 2012, 19:32

The quokka thing makes me laugh. Every time I see one in any game I am all like "What up, quokka (cracka)."

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 9th May 2012, 19:40

i get bored as i enter vaults and die to mara around xl17-19
damn mara and his tempting demon trident
also innate reaching in all polearms

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 9th May 2012, 23:05

o - TAB - p - c - e - 5 (if not full HP)
Repeat until the Orb is in sight.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 3rd June 2012, 05:45

I am firmly convinced that the first play of a fresh trunk download has better drops than subsequent plays of that same download.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 3rd June 2012, 09:24

I keep diving to D:4, looking for the Temple, and then continuing my play from D:1 with a god. Now you know why my winrate sucks.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 4th June 2012, 00:47

cerebovssquire wrote:I keep diving to D:4, looking for the Temple, and then continuing my play from D:1 with a god. Now you know why my winrate sucks.

That's how you toss away a good early Sewer or Ossuary.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 4th June 2012, 00:55

XuaXua wrote:That's how the pros toss away a good early Sewer or Ossuary.

ftfy

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 4th June 2012, 02:54

Grimm wrote:
XuaXua wrote:That's how the pros toss away a good early Sewer or Ossuary.

ftfy

Did that one better. :)
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 4th June 2012, 02:56

The shade is 0000FF, not 000080.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 4th June 2012, 10:22

Really XuaXua. The shades are completely different.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 4th June 2012, 11:07

He had to make up the colour, it's that thing he does.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

For this message the author rchandra has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 4th June 2012, 14:08

Grimm wrote:The shade is 0000FF, not 000080.

I considered hot pink. You're a moderator; go in there and fix it yourself if you're gonna get all nitpicky about it. :mrgreen:
Next

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner