Good computer games?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 31st July 2013, 06:41

Re: Good computer games?

Klown wrote:
prozacelf wrote:
On a related note, I've been crusading for an HD remake of Homeworld for years now.

Gearbox Software(Borderlands creators) bought the rights to the Homeworld franchise from the now defunct THQ, and have announced HD Remakes of Homeworld 1&2!!!

On-Topic: The Binding of Isaac, Torchlight 2, Assault Cube, Team Fortress 2, Dragon Nest, StarCraft 2, The Battle for Wesnoth.

Funnily enough I worked for a studio owned by THQ (although not Relic) when I started mentioning how awesome HD Homeworld would be. It only took their bankruptcy to realize it....

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 31st July 2013, 20:25

:)

Rogue Legacy, Dungeons of Dredmor as well. Forgot to include them in my last post.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 5th August 2013, 17:18

This is an ASCII game I can get into: http://candies.aniwey.net/

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 6th August 2013, 03:25

I've you have never tried playing a MUD, they can be an addictive time sink if you can get into them. Learning curve can be high initially.

Two I enjoyed over the years were
The Two Towers - based on Tolkein
and
Shattered Kingdoms

Both have entirely different feels once you get into them.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 12th September 2013, 15:31

Hack Slash Loot
Last couple days I´ve enjoyed this relatively new (2012) RL immensely.
Here´s a short gameplay video as well as the demo http://www.hackslashloot.com/index.html (playable on Win, Mac, Linux).

Eringya's Employee

Post Sunday, 26th January 2014, 12:27

On the space sim front, I just bumped into this (currently free) game on Desura, and visited the original page to see if I could download it because you can't play it yet through desura it seems, and lo and behold, they have a free pre-alpha build to try. http://www.wtfrontier.com/ They have a kickstarter which may interest some of you guys. :D
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 27th January 2014, 01:46

what about spelunky

Eringya's Employee

Post Friday, 4th July 2014, 18:27

Hey guys, just letting you know that FTL (Faster Than Light) is on sale at https://www.humblebundle.com/store for just 2.99 Euros. A great time waster!
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 7th July 2014, 17:15

WildSam wrote:Incursion: nice roguelike based on d20, dead btw. Dual wielding. Altar sacrifices. Rare game where alpha actually means buggy. REALLY BUGGY. Not that interesting if you're not into D&D, because features interesting interpretation of rules adapted for PC.

He released the source code for this and now there have been some bug fixes and the like. https://bitbucket.org/rmtew/incursion-roguelike/
Official Online Wins and Streaks
Experimental Wins: 1xImHu (Imps) 1xTrBe (chunkless)
Offline Wins: 2xTrCK 1xFeBe 1xHuWn 1xKoAr 1xMiFi

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 28th January 2015, 05:53

Been keeping my eyes on an upcoming Cthulhu-inspired group based RL called Darkest Dungeon. 4 Classes from a range of 16, group placement and sanity are some of the key factors.
Early release 3 feb on Steam so this Tuesday.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 29th January 2015, 01:13

Reactor Incremental
http://www.kongregate.com/games/cael/re ... ncremental

Design a nuclear power plant and try not to have everything explode. Fuel cells make power and heat, and you buy capacitors and some upgrades to autosell that power into cash. Can get a bit slow to upgrade, but it is an incremental (aka idle) sort of game. Fairly simple parts, but reasonably cool.

The Enchanted Cave 2
http://www.dojo.com/game/the-enchanted-cave-2

More related to crawl, this is a short roguelike where you fight monsters for loot and enchant your equipment. You lose your gear when you warp back to town unless it's an "artifact" item. If you have a good build and use the right enchantments, you can go through multiple areas without returning to town, and beat the game in 2-3 hours. Less ideal builds/enchants may have to run the same area more than once. Total of 80 levels, divided into 10 floor segments with a shop on them. Two really handy spells: heal (get this) and transmute (a bit more of a skill investment, but worth it) which lets you turn anything into an artefact. I ran floors 40-70 in one go, then warped out and lost half my gear, which meant I had to re-run floors a couple times to get strong enough to actually finish level 80 (So I probably took about 4 hours to beat it).

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
TehDruid

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 29th January 2015, 02:02

If you like challenging puzzle games, SpaceChem is an excellent title. Its most devious feature is that, after two hours of work, finally solving a particularly vexing puzzle, the game lets you know that your solution is actually only half as optimal as one that another user concocted. There are also two somewhat orthogonal optimization criteria, though often I feel lucky to have found a solution at all.

Factorio is also quite fun, though the real-time nature can be a bit of a turn-off for some. It was for me, at first, though once I learned how to properly set up automated defenses, I found I had plenty of time to obsessively tweak and optimize my factory. This is one of those games where you can glance at the clock and suddenly realize you just spent 5 hours playing without even noticing. I reached a point where it's lost my interest for now, but I spent many dozens of hours with it before reaching that point. Here's the trailer (don't usually promote trailers, but I think they did a particularly good job with theirs): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yDZM0diiYc

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 7th February 2015, 01:18

graffen69 wrote:Been keeping my eyes on an upcoming Cthulhu-inspired group based RL called Darkest Dungeon. 4 Classes from a range of 16, group placement and sanity are some of the key factors.
Early release 3 feb on Steam so this Tuesday.

Just an update on this; someone wrote it´s the #1 sold game on Steam atm. It´s still an early release with the full game coming around Q2 but they don´t make betas like this anymore.

If you´re not playing Darkest Dungeon at this very moment you´re missing out. ;)

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 31st March 2015, 18:51

Project Zomboid, which is just a rip-off of the ASCII game Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead.

It's still in beta, but it's a lot of fun if you're into survival sims. Also zombies.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 31st March 2015, 19:03

Greyr wrote:Project Zomboid, which is just a rip-off of the ASCII game Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead.

why would anyone want to rip off cataclysm??
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
Greyr

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 31st March 2015, 19:07

Arrhythmia wrote:why would anyone want to rip off cataclysm??

I enjoyed it for awhile, not like I would ever recommend it to anyone though. Zomboid's UI is like, 12346x better than C:DDA in case you were actually curious. Also the devs are approx 10 billion times better
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 4th April 2015, 18:48

Stonekeep is an amazing game if you like anything in the vein of Dungeon Master or the Wizardry series. I cannot recommend this game enough.

As far as Diablo II clones go, I would suggest the Soulvizier mod for Titan Quest. It has a ridiculous amount of item acquisition, and the game rewards you for proper itemization starting extremely early. I would have suggested the Hell's Unleashed mod for Diablo II, but it has gone to shit in these past years. The Aftermath mod has had some interesting updates lately though, and I would definitely check that out if you were a big D2 fan.
Wir saufen, und wir sind noch da!
Previous

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner