AD:RotY 2011

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 13th December 2011, 11:37

AD:RotY 2011

YES, it's here again!

http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com/ ... the%20year

Looks like you guys better get a move on, because it looks like ToME might win again, even though it's way too early to say anything for sure. I voted for both, because either one way or the other is preferable to that crap Dungeons of Dredmor winning. Then I might shoot myself.

I guess I'll slip in a bit of shameless advertising. Surely it can't hurt to vote for World of Tey as well?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 13th December 2011, 19:49

Re: AD:RotY 2011

Pteriforever wrote: because it looks like ToME might win again

With "the person who know how to use proxies" voting three hours before the end, they might win again. :P

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 17th December 2011, 09:34

Xom bumps a thread.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup: 293 (16%)
Votes so far: 1770
Days left to vote: 9

Eringya's Employee

Post Sunday, 18th December 2011, 06:18

Gah! Dungeons of Dredmore getting more votes than DC:SS... What is wrong with this world...? :shock:
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 18th December 2011, 11:05

TehDruid wrote:Gah! Dungeons of Dredmore getting more votes than DC:SS... What is wrong with this world...? :shock:

O tempora, o crawlers!

For this message the author PerverseSuffering has received thanks: 2
Confidence Interval, Grimm

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 19th December 2011, 14:23

So I dropped 5 bucks to see what all the hate is about for Dungeons of Dredmor.. And yeah, I can kinda agree that this 'roguelike' shouldn't be outvoting something so well established like Crawl. The UI's pretty crappy; trying to go through the menus to craft is a pain in the ass, and so is the inventory management. The reliance on the mouse is annoying. For example, you have to click on items to pick them up if you didn't set up autoloot ie no 'g'rab button like Crawl. Map is nearly indecipherable and hard to see. Your starting skills (you can choose 7) pretty much determine what your character will be for the rest of the game; no branching out later like Crawl, and no crafting if you don't have the appropriate crafting skill (although you can craft a few basic things with 0 crafting skill.) No diagonal movement (heretics!) means you can find any old one tile corridor and comfortably take on a whole group of enemies one by one (ranged attacks can still get you though.) And I found myself missing the ctrl+f functionality of Crawl; very hard to remember where things were after you leave a room for awhile.

Despite all of these downfalls, I found DoD to be fairly fun, and a relaxing change of pace from the oft intense difficulty of Crawl. There are some interesting mechanics in the game, like dual wielding, counterattacks, and 'haywire' which is basically critical hits for spells. Monster Zoos are a nice surprise (think of those vaults in Crawl where it's just a room full of bees/kobolds/orcs/etc) and satisfying to clear. Descriptions are written in a funny, light-hearted manner like Crawl. There's even a god you can sacrifice Lutefisk to for some sweet artifacts :P . Monsters like the diggle and blobby make an adorable sound when they die ^^. And hey, the popularity of Dredmor with the mainstream crowd means more interest in roguelikes and more potential converts for Crawl.

Overall, I can recommend at least trying out Dredmor, especially for a measly 5 dollars which is probably less than the cost of a decent lunch. Just try not to compare it to Crawl too much because it won't live up to that expectation; instead, think of Dredmor as more Diablo-ish than roguelike-ish. Oh yeah, and take my little review here with a grain of salt because I've only made it to Dungeon level 3 so far :|

For this message the author nosrepemos has received thanks: 2
Mychaelh, TehDruid

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 19th December 2011, 14:55

It's more about to promote roguelikes, not really which is the best. So including DoD in the list, had at least the effect to get a review by nosrepemos. I would not care to much about the vote numbers. ToME will win, like last year. I voted for Crawl and JADE.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner