DCSS Fan Comic in the works

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 8th December 2011, 09:08

DCSS Fan Comic in the works

Hey, fellow crawlers.

I've been losing enough of my life to this game to get some ideas for a fancomic. I've got about 10 pages scripted as of this writing. I gather ideas from the events my character comes up against in the game environment.

Here's the prototype cover for the project. Intellectual property not claimed as my own, of course.

Scrudge The Kobold Summoner

Again, not for profit. Just for fun. C:

For this message the author corax2009 has received thanks: 5
AtT, dpeg, Mychaelh, Roderic, TehDruid

Sewers Scotsman

Post Thursday, 8th December 2011, 09:23

Re: DCSS Fan Comic in the works

Reminds me of Donnie Darko.

"Why are you wearing that stupid kobold suit?"

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 8th December 2011, 16:40

Sorry for ranting and rambling, but Comic Sans MS is not for comic art. =) Skim through Dafont.com for some nice fonts.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 8th December 2011, 19:19

I was actually wondering, before I read this, where I could find a more appropriate font. :lol: MS isn't a FAR cry from the font I see in some comic books, but there's something about it that isn't quite.... right.

So thanks. Bookmarking site as we speak...

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 8th December 2011, 19:37

Well, Comic Sans WAS designed to resemble the lettering style used in old comics (Batman, I think)...
The Ed draws near! What dost thou deaux?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 8th December 2011, 23:47

Use Vera. It's the font Crawl uses. It's in the game package.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 9th December 2011, 00:37

One step less to reach "DCSS: the movie".
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 9th December 2011, 13:33

Roderic wrote:One step less to reach "DCSS: the movie".

Spoiler alert: someone dies.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 9th December 2011, 13:38

So are you playing a kobold summoner and drawing what you experience? Or are you just making it all up.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 9th December 2011, 14:23

Actually, that would be quite a nice piece of advice, Jabberwocky!
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 9th December 2011, 14:58

Stormfox wrote:

DCSS: The Movie. The epic start if the franchise, in which a lone adventurer begins the treacherous descent towards the fabled orb of Zot. Spoiler Alert: He dies.

DCSS II: The second adventure! Fate tries again, and another hero is born. Spoiler alert: He gets killed by the ghost of the first guy.

DCSS III: Third Time's the Charm. The epic climax of the series, about the adventurer ascendant, who manages to survive everything the dungeon throws at him, the ghosts of his jealous predecessors, and finally sets his hands on the Orb. Then gets killed by hubris when he attempts the post endgame instead of just running with it when he had the chance.

DCSS Four Real This Time. After the financial disaster resulting from fan backlash to the ending of previous film, the series takes a sharp left turn. The fourth installment is less a sequel than it is a metaphysical postmodern deconstruction of the genre. The in universe player of the previous games, in a fit of frustration over his losses, begins to save scum. The character ends up dying and being resurrected, running into multiple self-ghosts, accidentally brings an artefact into contact with an alternate iteration of itself (with cataclysmic results), and generally becoming more and more confused along with the audience as the time jumps become more and more frequent and less sensible as the player grows increasingly frustrated and unstable at his continued failures and as he is harassed and trolled by observers for scumming (the audience is implied to be part of the in universe observers, as well). This insanity is initially played for laughs, but grows starker and eventually dissolves into a confusing muddle worthy to rival Primer- but what we think eventually happens is the character ends up going back and time and preventing the first game/movie from ever being played, erasing the franchise from it's own continuity, while the player commits suicide. Or he was dead and in hell all along. Or something. It's really confusing, ok?

DeeSeaEssEss- Reboot! Years later, another studio gets ahold of the rights, and reboots the series. An archetypal hero sets off on a three rune romantic comedy, gets the orb, and escapes with the girl. It's a financial and critical flop.

Dungeon Crawling princeSSes! Someone in marketing notices the fact that pretty much every character in the franchise is male. In an attempt to 'fix' this DCSS ends up as a Saturday morning princess cartoon. The results were... not pretty. Surprisingly, of the entire franchise, this iteration caused the least financial ruin and fan outrage.

There have since been discussions of another sequel or re-remake, but it's been mercifully stuck in development hell for years.

For this message the author mageykun has received thanks: 4
corax2009, Mychaelh, Roderic, Yet Another Stupid Noob

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 9th December 2011, 16:19

Yet Another Stupid Blockbuster.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 9th December 2011, 16:56

Isn't a summoner more difficult to draw in a comic because you need to add all the summoned creatures ?
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 9th December 2011, 17:09

DCSS 1 directed by J.J Abrams, because after "Lost", he wanted a script with a clear ending in advance.

DCSS 2 directed by Shaymalan because he wanted to film something where the protagonist sees dead people to grant some success in his career.

DCSS 3 was first given to Peter Jackson, then some ailments as rotting, sickness, mesmerization... affected the crew members, so that the movie was delayed. Then Spielberg entered as a producer, put a ton of $ and eventually Jackson came back after finishing "The Silmarilion V".

DCSS 4 was filmed by David Lynch and written by Terence Malick in an attempt to recreate "The Tree of Life".

DCSS Reboot was directed by Michael Bay. Enough said.

For this message the author Roderic has received thanks: 2
mageykun, Mychaelh

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 9th December 2011, 18:28

I think it might have considerable potential if left in the able hands of Uwe Boll.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 9th December 2011, 18:51

defen wrote:I think it might have considerable potential if left in the able hands of Uwe Boll.

As long as he films it in console mode. The wardrobe changes required for tiles would break his budget.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 9th December 2011, 21:44

Jabberwocky wrote:So are you playing a kobold summoner and drawing what you experience? Or are you just making it all up.

You pretty much nailed it. For games upon games in a row I've played as a Kobold Summoner and just tried to immerse my "third eye" in the dungeon environs and the events that befall my character. As with any story though, I have to invoke the artistic license to fudge on actual events to keep the story interesting.

Although the actual event of Crazy Yiuf coming out to meet a swarm of imps (thanks to the early find of a ring of magical power) is probably best left unaltered.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 9th December 2011, 21:53

mageykun wrote:
Stormfox wrote:

DCSS: The Movie. The epic start if the franchise, in which a lone adventurer begins the treacherous descent towards the fabled orb of Zot. Spoiler Alert: He dies.

DCSS II: The second adventure! Fate tries again, and another hero is born. Spoiler alert: He gets killed by the ghost of the first guy.

DCSS III: Third Time's the Charm. The epic climax of the series, about the adventurer ascendant, who manages to survive everything the dungeon throws at him, the ghosts of his jealous predecessors, and finally sets his hands on the Orb. Then gets killed by hubris when he attempts the post endgame instead of just running with it when he had the chance.

DCSS Four Real This Time. After the financial disaster resulting from fan backlash to the ending of previous film, the series takes a sharp left turn. The fourth installment is less a sequel than it is a metaphysical postmodern deconstruction of the genre. The in universe player of the previous games, in a fit of frustration over his losses, begins to save scum. The character ends up dying and being resurrected, running into multiple self-ghosts, accidentally brings an artefact into contact with an alternate iteration of itself (with cataclysmic results), and generally becoming more and more confused along with the audience as the time jumps become more and more frequent and less sensible as the player grows increasingly frustrated and unstable at his continued failures and as he is harassed and trolled by observers for scumming (the audience is implied to be part of the in universe observers, as well). This insanity is initially played for laughs, but grows starker and eventually dissolves into a confusing muddle worthy to rival Primer- but what we think eventually happens is the character ends up going back and time and preventing the first game/movie from ever being played, erasing the franchise from it's own continuity, while the player commits suicide. Or he was dead and in hell all along. Or something. It's really confusing, ok?

DeeSeaEssEss- Reboot! Years later, another studio gets ahold of the rights, and reboots the series. An archetypal hero sets off on a three rune romantic comedy, gets the orb, and escapes with the girl. It's a financial and critical flop.

Dungeon Crawling princeSSes! Someone in marketing notices the fact that pretty much every character in the franchise is male. In an attempt to 'fix' this DCSS ends up as a Saturday morning princess cartoon. The results were... not pretty. Surprisingly, of the entire franchise, this iteration caused the least financial ruin and fan outrage.

There have since been discussions of another sequel or re-remake, but it's been mercifully stuck in development hell for years.

Not only is that freakin' hilarious, it's also eerily truthful.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 9th December 2011, 21:58

Roderic wrote:Isn't a summoner more difficult to draw in a comic because you need to add all the summoned creatures ?

Actually, I think that would be the fun part. Plus, depending on how you compose your panels, much like live action shots, you can get by on implication rather than stark detail. I.E. A longshot of Crazy Yiuf standing in the background with a deer in the headlights expression on his face with multiple, shadowed, clawed hands surrounding the "camera" strongly implies he's in it up to his knees, but the actual drawing time would be minimal.

I thus point to some of the composition of the panels in the free prequel comic to THE DARKNESS II that 's floating around the internet.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 10th December 2011, 01:04

How long till we can see the true first issue?

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 10th December 2011, 08:17

Another thing, Corax: study a few "classical" comic, erm, publications, like Batman, Superman or something else.
In those yellow blocks, the text is usually justified (that is, there should be no "free" space to the left of the first word and to the right of the last word in every but last line; of course, padding should be kept).
If justified text looks ugly, expand the textbox a bit. ;) There should be at least two or three words (or 9-10 meaningful symbols, as Yiuf would say) on every but last line.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner