Port to multiplayer

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 5th December 2011, 10:19

Port to multiplayer

Hi All,
I would like to congratulate with you this game is wonderful.
Have you ever thought about porting it as a real time (even if slow paced) multiplayer online game?
It would be a killer game; I've been searching for something similar for a long time but never find anything with this game deepness.
I know this would probably mean to rewrite big parts of code, but the result would be great.
I'm currently developing with html5/javascript, canvas rocks, it's really fast; with websockets, it could be a good choice for the game interface.

Regards

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 5th December 2011, 11:55

Re: Port to multiplayer

I myself find this game pleasant exactly because it has a very interesting kind of multiplayer: one player does the thing, the others watch him and give advice.
Besides, it would be quite hard to re-balance the game for cooperative multiplayer, I think... And it will be impossible to play a good match if someone leaves the party game.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Eringya's Employee

Post Monday, 5th December 2011, 12:10

...It would be pretty badass to be able to play with others. ^^ I would prefer it if it was still turn based, though.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 5th December 2011, 15:37

Coop turn-based I think is feasible despite slow (could be implemented some kind of clock or skip turns...)

Any FFA, arena-style, whichever, turn-based would be feasible as well. Even a multi-unit, multiplayer could be made similarly to "Laser Squad" game
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 5th December 2011, 15:47

Bagatto wrote:Hi All,
I would like to congratulate with you this game is wonderful.
Have you ever thought about porting it as a real time (even if slow paced) multiplayer online game?
It would be a killer game; I've been searching for something similar for a long time but never find anything with this game deepness.
I know this would probably mean to rewrite big parts of code, but the result would be great.
I'm currently developing with html5/javascript, canvas rocks, it's really fast; with websockets, it could be a good choice for the game interface.

Regards

I doubt Crawl would port over well but if you are interested in that sort of thing I suggest that you check out various MUDs. Gods Wars II seems pretty interesting although I have not played it myself. I'd give the genre a serious look if you like the idea of a multiplayer crawl. I used to play one but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called. I'd love to get my hands on the url some day.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 5th December 2011, 18:55

There are also some existing multiplayer roguelikes, such as MAngband and Crossfire :)
The Ed draws near! What dost thou deaux?

For this message the author ekolis has received thanks:
AtT

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 7th December 2011, 18:33

Thank you for the replies.
I tried playing Crossfire a long time ago, but it was not so playble, maybe now it is better.
I will try the other games you mentioned.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 06:50

The problem with multiplayer roguelikes is that you need to standardize the turn length. If you standardized it at two seconds, well...

Some actions take way less than two seconds (e.g. move one step to the left) while some take way more (e.g. inscribe this choko with [insert complete works of Shakespeare here])

The other alternative is real-time. In this case, your success will be determined by how many times you can hit the same key in one second. In Lair of Xar, for instance, I could mash the arrows to be like, ten times faster than anything else in the game.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner