The Binding of Isaac

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 7th November 2011, 01:18

The Binding of Isaac

Do you need a break from the serious gameplay that is Crawl? Do your Sprint runs take too long? Can you just not live in a world without Mountain Dwarves?

Well, you might enjoy The Binding of Isaac. It's a Rogue-Zelda hybrid (Legend of Zelda-style combat, Rogue-like random dungeons) currently in a name-your-price deal at humblebundle.com (I've no connection any of the companies involved), or $5 on Steam.

It's fun, quick, simple, and additive -- you'll go from spawn to YASD in 2-20 minutes, and has no character species or roles. It even has a good soundtrack. The subject matter and visual design are cute-silly-macabre; seriously religious folks in particular may find it a little offensive.

If you're looking for a roguelike-lite, this is one definitely worth a look.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 7th November 2011, 02:09

Re: The Binding of Isaac

Combat is more like smash TV than legend of zelda. I'll agree it's fun for a spin; has a lot of bugs, though. Spelunky was a much better action-roguelike

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 7th November 2011, 07:06

It's available in the Humble Voxatron Debut (from Humble Bundle) as a bonus game, if you pay more than the current average ($5.04 as we speak). I was really happy to see the game appear in there, as I was interested in getting it and I tend to get the Humble Bundle deals. The deal has a week left, and includes the alpha version of Voxatron, plus Blocks That Matter (which has a really nice soundtrack, also included as a download).

Now I just need time to play it..

--Eino

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 7th November 2011, 11:47

I bought it on Steam when it came out and played it quite a lot. Great game, but buggy, and the theme is not for everyone.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 7th November 2011, 14:41

Picked up the Humble Voxatron Debut the day of for a buck, and ended up getting BTM and tBoI anyway, since they were added post-purchase. Binding's alright, 'Bout as much a rougelike as Splelunky is, but fun for a change of pace. Bit easy.
The green ugly thing basks in the mutagenic energy from your post and changes!

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner