Messing Around With Tiles

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Eringya's Employee

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2011, 23:40

Messing Around With Tiles

If you're playing Tiles, there's a magic file that can change the appearance of the game a bit, and most importantly, allow you to run it on fullscreen/any windowed resolution you want. Go to your crawl folder, find the sub-folder named "settings" and open the file "tiles_options.txt" in it, with your basic text editor (notepad, notepad++, w/e). You'll notice that in each of the lines, there's a "#" character. In case you don't know it, this means the line after the "#" is a comment, which means it doesn't get read as part of the code.

Fullscreen/Window Size:

If you wish to use the game in fullscreen, go to line 50 (the one that says tile_full_screen) and delete the "#". If it says "tile_full_screen = false", erase "false" and type "true" in its place.
If you want to run it in a window with a custom resolution, un-comment lines 51 & 52. Make sure line 50 is set to false or else you'll get your current desktop resolution. Set them to whatever you wish, like "tile_window_width = 1280" & "tile_window_height = 1024" or whatever you like. Playing in a 800x600 window is kinda fun, you can see the sprites in great detail if you can stretch it all over the screen (I can't seem to do this in any way, so I just change my computer's resolution to 800x600 if I want to do that). :lol:

(Relatively) Fancy stuff:

Lines 57 to 67 change the font and its size in each of the many screens within the game. Un-comment and experiment with these, if you wish. To use a font, you must copy it in the subfolder /dat/tiles.
Lines 69 and 70 should be set to true if you wish to have the minibar that displays health/mana under your character (also I think it applies to monster health bars too).
Lines 15 to 35 change the way the minimap is colourized so that you can tell what everything is by their colours. A little useless yet kinda cool.
Line 53 changes the size (in pixels) of each dungeon block on the minimap. Essentially it's the scale of the minimap. If you wish for the minimap to be larger, set a higher number here. This seems to get capped depending on other stuff I don't really know.
Line 54 "tile_force_overlay" does a very subtle change if set to true. It moves the message box to the top of the screen, giving it a nice semi transparency, allowing for more room for your dungeon view. Playing tiles on full-screen on my 18,4" laptop with 1920x1080 res and this option enabled feels pretty nice. You can see A LOT of the map. Kinda feels like playing a strategy game.

Game speed and responsiveness adjustments:

Changing the number next to line 43 "tile_key_repeat_delay" to a lower one will make the game respond faster to your keystrokes, which makes it a deathtrap with TAB holding. :P
Changing line 44 "tile_tooltip_ms" merely makes it so that when you hover your mouse over soething, the blue box that tells you what key combinations you can use for this item comes faster/slower by lowering/raising the number.
Lines 38 and 41 are pretty straightforward, the more you raise the value of the number, the faster the game executes exploring/resting.

A not so cool pic representing some of the above customization:

Comic Sans Bold.png
Comic Sans Bold.png (186.95 KiB) Viewed 1791 times

Unfortunately Comic Sans doesn't work well with the interface. :P See, the fonts must have a set size for every letter (i believe that's called TrueType) while most fonts used in writing documents (for office work/college stuff) are OpenType and have variable letter sizes, hence Comic Sans messes up the otherwise well-aligned stats. It still is pretty hilarious as a font. :lol:

After further examination of different fonts, I couldn't get any of them (truetype or opentype) to fit well in the interface, other than the one that comes with crawl called "VeraMono.ttf". Oh well.

EDIT: Look at Stormfox's post right below this post for a brief explanation on fonts.
Last edited by TehDruid on Friday, 4th November 2011, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

For this message the author TehDruid has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 12:59

Re: Messing Around With Tiles

The terminology you're looking for is monospaced versus proportional. TrueType and OpenType are font file formats.

For roguelikes and anything else that uses text on a fixed grid, monospaced fonts are the way to go.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

For this message the author Stormfox has received thanks:
TehDruid

Eringya's Employee

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 14:24

Stormfox wrote:The terminology you're looking for is monospaced versus proportional. TrueType and OpenType are font file formats.

For roguelikes and anything else that uses text on a fixed grid, monospaced fonts are the way to go.

Thx for the correction, I guess that's what the "Mono" means in "VeraMono.ttf", then. ;) :lol:
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 18:20

Not sure I like that font. I do like knowing how to do this and the idea of a troll assassin.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 19:22

For all console-based or console-developed games, use monospace fonts like Courier New.
I'd also suggest a monospace font from the famous Droid font family.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

For this message the author MyOtheHedgeFox has received thanks:
TehDruid

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner