Fun Vaults

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th December 2011, 19:50

Re: Fun Vaults

MarvinPA wrote:Hellion island does have a guaranteed demonic rune (you just might have already found one elsewhere). An actual unique rune wouldn't really be appropriate for it.

Yes, I understand if it generates and you haven't found a demonic rune yet (even though one generates on basically every non-unique pan level, right?), it's there.

What I'm saying is that Hellion Island is one of 5 guaranteed challenges in Pan, aside from the "Pan Lord vault every level" boards, which come with the same demonic rune.

Since it's a guaranteed board, give it it's own special rune aside from the demonic rune. A "Hellfire" Rune or something. Force players to deal with it.
There are way too many other, much easier sources of demonic runes elsewhere in Pan.

My favorite takedown of Hellion island (during a save scum session) was with darts of blinking.
I'd blink them off-island one at a time and take them down out of sight.

- - -

A Pan vault I loved (the only one that was memorable besides basic features like blood fountains) was the one with the holy pigs captured in jail.
The update log shows a holy pan themed level may have been released in trunk.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th December 2011, 19:51

Grimm wrote:
jejorda2 wrote:I came across a room today on D1 filled with beef jerkies, dwarven hand axes, and chunks of minotaur flesh.

viewtopic.php?t=304&p=40923#p40923

I've seen that a few times and wished I was a high strength necromancer because I'd grab them, dive down 4 levels and revive them.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 16th December 2011, 20:19

XuaXua wrote:What I'm saying is that Hellion Island is one of 5 guaranteed challenges in Pan, aside from the "Pan Lord vault every level" boards, which come with the same demonic rune.

There are currently four large vaults which will only spawn once in pandemonium, in addition to the four unique pan lord vaults. This makes the number 8, not 5. If you include small one-off vaults the number is even higher. Three of them contain a guaranteed demonic rune. More might be added in future versions.

A new rune will not be added for this vault.

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 17th December 2011, 17:56

My favorite vault ever is the humble sewer vault. It has so many versions, and all of them are fun. Hard enough to be exciting, but not so hard they feel unfair. No matter how often I find it, I am always thrilled to see a glowing sewer grate.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2011, 23:48

The lair eight vault where you kill the anaconda and all the elephant shaped statues turn into accual dire elephants is awesome. It's so much fun when you kill the anaconda to get at the loot and then to get out you have to fight your way through hordes of dire elephants. (Or you can just teleport out.)
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 23rd December 2011, 05:23

evilmike wrote:
XuaXua wrote:What I'm saying is that Hellion Island is one of 5 guaranteed challenges in Pan, aside from the "Pan Lord vault every level" boards, which come with the same demonic rune.

There are currently four large vaults which will only spawn once in pandemonium, in addition to the four unique pan lord vaults. This makes the number 8, not 5. If you include small one-off vaults the number is even higher. Three of them contain a guaranteed demonic rune. More might be added in future versions.

A new rune will not be added for this vault.

Yeah, Hellion Island and the unique rune levels are not really in the same class.

The Holy level definitely seems major enough to get a rune, (though it really deserves a unique lord); maybe it could swap out one of the demonic unique levels if you're not following a good god? So Pan would have demonic and four of (holy|glowing|magical|dark|firey)...
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 23rd December 2011, 09:18

njvack wrote:The Holy level definitely seems major enough to get a rune, (though it really deserves a unique lord); maybe it could swap out one of the demonic unique levels if you're not following a good god? So Pan would have demonic and four of (holy|glowing|magical|dark|firey)...

The purpose of this vault (for now) is just to test holy monsters, to see how they work gameplay-wise and difficulty-wise. So, for now there's just loot. Although, the loot is pretty good - healing potions, cure mutation, and a number of high quality items.

In the future, perhaps something like this could happen. But at least for 0.10 I don't see a holy rune being added (or the holy pan level having a demonic rune).

As for the level having a "boss", it does have the game's only Seraph (basically a cherub with a gigantic amount of hp and better equipment).

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 19th January 2012, 00:38

This was some kind of stalker's workshop. There were random skeletons scattered about and one of the rooms had potions of water in it.

For this message the author Pteriforever has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 19th January 2012, 01:29

Pteriforever wrote:Image

This was some kind of stalker's workshop. There were random skeletons scattered about and one of the rooms had potions of water in it.

Oh, that's a cool idea, vaults based around a player background.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 19th January 2012, 16:16

I had a vault on Zot:5 that had a bunch of draconians who were neutral, with a neutral orb of fire encased in glass. I killed the draconians anyhow :).

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 19th January 2012, 16:32

Ever came across with the circus vault in Zot? Armored humans with ankuses, dire elephants and killer klowns. I've never found circus that funny but this one was.

For this message the author Sphara has received thanks: 3
Mu, MyOtheHedgeFox, rebthor

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 20th January 2012, 00:49

Seen it twice now, but the Gnoll fortress was quite cool. A stream of the blighters charging out at me, then storming the fortress and berserking my way through the hordes. Good stuff.

It amazes me how much this game can evoke with so little.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 21st January 2012, 02:41

Just played an Orc entrance vault full of zombies. It was really ahrd, but FUN!

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 21st January 2012, 06:51

That multispecies bat vault! There were: mountain dwarf bat, phase bat, fruity bat, skeletal bat and some more species!

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 23rd January 2012, 07:40

Although this is more a level feeling than a vault, I just played a level which had random graves with necrophages nearby.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 23rd January 2012, 08:41

Pteriforever wrote:Although this is more a level feeling than a vault, I just played a level which had random graves with necrophages nearby.

This is a serial vault - basically a group of vaults that appear together. The one you got sounds like the "undead" serial vault, which was added recently.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 23rd January 2012, 09:45

Just did a castle-type vault on Orc:3 of ogres and giants guarding a heavily trapped room full of weapons. Ended up fighting Nessos up and down one of the hallways. Orc:3 was connected, so it felt a lot like an early Orc:4. Then the mall on Orc:4 was in a big oval vault, also guarded by a batallion of ogres. Overall the most fun Orc I've ever played -- thanks to whoever made these.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 27th January 2012, 03:01

I like vaults which make me scream profanities when I open the door. Case in point: I really hate bees (even after they become trivial later), yesterday I hit 5 Bee vaults in my game. I ended up with like 104 Honeycombs. Ditto with the wall-to-wall kobolds/orcs/whatever. Shoutitis vaults.

The most fun ones are the themed ones though. Most have been mentioned already, but they're so creative! For me, Crawl is the most fun when I manage to pull off a narrow escape.

Also, I consider myself fairly well-learned, but I opened the one TSO/Zin/Ely vault & I was like, "WTF is a shedu?"

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 27th January 2012, 06:42

Of all the portals, my favourite is Ossuary.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 27th January 2012, 15:48

Bee vault + Slouch == lulz.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 10th February 2012, 08:15

Just found a vault containing grassy areas with musa plants, grape vines, and an apple tree, the area scattered with fruit. Behind a large door, there was a deep dwarf artificer and a bunch of assorted healing potions.

For this message the author Pteriforever has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 14th February 2012, 18:22

I want to say that I really like the spriggan forest as well. While it can be really annoying / dangerous when the trees start attacking, overall the theme is really well done and I'd love to see more levels like that. For example, the early gnoll "vault" with the gnoll sergeants and other gnolls would be great if it were more like that forest level.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 6th May 2012, 13:44

The Ossuary map which is like a miniature tomb 2 is great fun.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 10th May 2012, 15:09

I almost feel this thread should belong in Game Designers Corner because it would show which type of vaults get the most appreciation.

Anyway, encountered a room full of pythons and adders. Cleared it out to find a human skeleton and next to it, a whip.

No idol.

edit: whip was cursed. Guess he couldn't have thrown it.
Last edited by XuaXua on Thursday, 10th May 2012, 15:24, edited 2 times in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 10th May 2012, 15:14

There wasn't an idol in the original scene.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 10th May 2012, 15:24

Grimm wrote:There wasn't an idol in the original scene.

No ark.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 10th May 2012, 16:47

I just walked into dpegs volcano lava_overflow vault for the very first time: Boy what a fun vault.
After the first message of lava flowing I thought: "The volcano likely drops some fire clouds somewhere, like all the others do".
The second time was more like: "Shit, the lava is moving. I am going to die here ..."
And then I realized that the lava retreats, phew.

It felt very original, so definitely a fun vault. But on the other hand, there is no real danger there, right?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 10th May 2012, 18:00

sirprim wrote:I just walked into dpegs volcano lava_overflow vault for the very first time: Boy what a fun vault.
After the first message of lava flowing I thought: "The volcano likely drops some fire clouds somewhere, like all the others do".
The second time was more like: "Shit, the lava is moving. I am going to die here ..."
And then I realized that the lava retreats, phew.

It felt very original, so definitely a fun vault. But on the other hand, there is no real danger there, right?

I thought I was about to die in there and moved to the one corner(?) where no lava reached yet and stood there waiting for the lava to kill me or my teleport to kick in. Then the lava retreated. :D

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 22nd May 2012, 17:26

The Yred alter vault with a human behind glass and a door is awesome. When you open the door to kill the human and get the XP, you get a message saying Yred welcomes your deed and the glass protecting the alter turns into short lived miasma.

For this message the author Jabberwocky has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 18:39

To whomever made the vault with a human skeleton, whip, and lots of ball pythons and adders thank you, you made my day.

For this message the author Jabberwocky has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 1st June 2012, 16:51

EXPERIMENTAL.
STONE.
GOLEMS.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 1st June 2012, 17:03

Pressure plate that opens a room full of rats... Definitely a nice change of pace.

Also, experienced my first Holy pan level... just awesome.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 1st June 2012, 19:13

Just last night I had one where it had 3 doors, and when I got next to one, Xom showed me a Jelly behind a different one. It felt like it was the doors on Let's Make a Deal.
The above post is for entertainment purposes only. If you think anything I ever say is backed by fact, or if you cite things I've said in any argument ever, you are insane.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 1st June 2012, 21:04

IronJelly wrote:Just last night I had one where it had 3 doors, and when I got next to one, Xom showed me a Jelly behind a different one. It felt like it was the doors on Let's Make a Deal.

That's exactly what it's supposed to be. (Remember, statistically, you should switch doors. :D)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 4th June 2012, 18:24

nicolae wrote:
IronJelly wrote:Just last night I had one where it had 3 doors, and when I got next to one, Xom showed me a Jelly behind a different one. It felt like it was the doors on Let's Make a Deal.

That's exactly what it's supposed to be. (Remember, statistically, you should switch doors. :D)

Duuuuuude. I got this one the other day and completely missed the reference. Now watch, I'll never see it again.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 4th June 2012, 18:53

What's the name of this vault? It sounds fun and I want to see it.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 4th June 2012, 20:22

Jabberwocky wrote:What's the name of this vault? It sounds fun and I want to see it.

It's dk_xom_monty_hall, it's in dat/des/altar/xom_monty_hall.des

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 4th June 2012, 20:52

nicolae wrote:
Jabberwocky wrote:What's the name of this vault? It sounds fun and I want to see it.

Is it in trunk? I can't find it in stable.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 4th June 2012, 21:20

Jabberwocky wrote:
nicolae wrote:

Is it in trunk? I can't find it in stable.

In stable, there's an old version of it that doesn't work right called xom_monty_hall in overflow.des.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 15th June 2012, 21:29

evilmike_dwarf_pyromaniacs

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 15th June 2012, 21:49

Jabberwocky wrote:evilmike_dwarf_pyromaniacs

Thats not the Trog vault with a bunch of speedo glad deep dwarves is it? That one made me lol
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 16th June 2012, 09:55

bobross419 wrote:
Jabberwocky wrote:evilmike_dwarf_pyromaniacs

Thats not the Trog vault with a bunch of speedo glad deep dwarves is it? That one made me lol

No it isn't. That vault is also fun though.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 16th June 2012, 11:59

Just got the antique lich vault today. His description gave me some good chuckle.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 4th October 2012, 18:53

I just came across a labyrinth. The loot was stacked in piles that seemed to be based around combos: MfSk, HaWr, HOFi and DDEE from what I could tell (the loot was very good too by the way). This was a great surprise, thanks to the vaultmaker! One of the best and yet simplest I've seen so far.

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
nicolae

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 4th October 2012, 19:13

cerebovssquire wrote:I just came across a labyrinth. The loot was stacked in piles that seemed to be based around combos: MfSk, HaWr, HOFi and DDEE from what I could tell (the loot was very good too by the way). This was a great surprise, thanks to the vaultmaker! One of the best and yet simplest I've seen so far.

I saw that one too! The piles came complete with corpses.

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks:
nicolae

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 5th October 2012, 00:56

BlackSheep wrote:
cerebovssquire wrote:I just came across a labyrinth. The loot was stacked in piles that seemed to be based around combos: MfSk, HaWr, HOFi and DDEE from what I could tell (the loot was very good too by the way). This was a great surprise, thanks to the vaultmaker! One of the best and yet simplest I've seen so far.

I saw that one too! The piles came complete with corpses.

Thanks! That's one of mine :D There's a dozen sets of loot, each with at least three guaranteed items and usually a chance for more (the octopode corpse has a very small but nonzero chance of eight rings).

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 5th October 2012, 01:06

Just found it today myself; liked it a lot. Good loot compared to some other lab vaults.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 5th October 2012, 01:31

On D:17 I found a vault taking up the entire level. All the walls were either stone, metal, or crystal. It was a maze-like thing, kinda hard to describe
Previous

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner